Magisk Install - Step by Step [ROOT]

On 1/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, EskeRahn said:

Tried to update,

Ok, my editing window is over and I think it's good enough to update the first post if you'd be so kind (other than change "Unlock Booloader" to ""Unlock Bootloader" in the last line of step 3.).

As I made it difficult for you to edit the original one with strikethrus as you started to do before, I'd suggest just replace the whole post with updated version but keep the old one in a spoiler block or something and leave it as is for historical purposes.  But however you want to do it is fine.

@J_P Not sure what's going wrong for you.  I personally haven't tried it with current version, but when I did it a month ago it worked fine for me, but my device came with unlocked boot-loader so I didn't have to deal with that extra step (although I dont think its your problem).  Hopefully somebody else will comment in this thread.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The typical installation method as described on XDA won't work yet on Pro1, because we don't have a fully working version of TWRP yet.  But never fear, it's still easy, five simple steps and you

For those getting their devices and wanting to root now, the recommended procedure has changed!     This method should allow you to take future OTA updates keeping root using the A/B method link

If someone need - i upload to google drive stock versions of  boot.img, backuped by Magisk from all versions i had:  - 20191028 - 20191111 - 20191129 - 20191210 - 20200106

Posted Images

2 hours ago, J_P said:

Do I need to un-encrypt the phone?

Unencrypt is not needed.

If your patched boot img is not recognized check from which slot you are booting.
check current slot with 

fastboot getvar current-slot

if that does not work try with 

fastboot getvar all

and search for the active slot.

the patched image has to be flashed to the currently active slot and the unmodified to the inactive.

39 minutes ago, J_P said:

Thanks - just to be clear, are you saying that it's a requirement to have the unmodified boot.img on the inactive slot and flashing to both won't work?

if you flash the patched boot.img to both slots root should work.
But in my understanding the magisk installer uses the inactive slot for the OTA magic it does, so maybe you could get problems when updating.
I have never tried that, so not entirely sure

I think the issue may be that I have an EEA verion (Europe) and the rest of you possibly don't?

My build number is QX1000_EEA_20200106110245.

I was trying to use the boot.img from magisk_backup_5_20200106 as that seemed to match my version, but perhaps it doesn't?

Or is everyone else using the same verion after all?

If I'm correct - any ideas where I can get the correct boot image for the EEA version?

Edited by J_P

I am in a similar situation, my build number is 20191203104303 ...

As a side note: I tried booting TWRP and installing Magisk directly, but fastboot fails with "FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')" 😭

I tried on three computers, using Windows 10 Pro and Server 2016, and the latest platform tools from Google. I also tried different ADB drivers, including the latest universal drivers from Google. The only command that runs successfully is "fastboor devices", which returns the device number of my phone, as expected. No other command like "boot" , "reboot" or "flash" seems to work ...

I am conscious that I may be completely barking up the wrong tree with regard to there being different versions - can anyone confirm if the EEA in my build number even signifies Europe - are there different builds that aren't 'EEA' ?

My build is QX1000_EEA_20200106110245

Can any of the people who have successfully rooted confirm exactly what version they rooted?

Has anyone successfully rooted starting with my exact build?

@Craig @zurvan2 @Hook @david @mcdinner @Ilrilan

Edited by J_P
5 hours ago, J_P said:

I am conscious that I may be completely barking up the wrong tree with regard to there being different versions - can anyone confirm if the EEA in my build number even signifies Europe - are there different builds that aren't 'EEA' ?

Can any of the people who have successfully rooted confirm exactly what version they rooted?

it worked on my phone, build number QX1000_EEA_20191203104303 after getting the boot.img from this post, patching it and flashing it. EEA doesn't seem to be the problem. i did not have to flash boot_b at all.

Edited by oliviersenn6
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, J_P said:

@Craig @zurvan2 @Hook @david @mcdinner @Ilrilan

I can tell you that I have the same build number in the US.  I doubt there are regional builds.  I originally rooted with the December build.  Strangely enough, I used the patched image @Craig first posted which was not made using the December update boot.img.  It worked, but later on, when I tried to unroot to take the Januaray OTA, things got really messed up.  Unfortunately, I wasn't systematic enough to really pin-point where and how things went wrong.  I ended up reflashing the October Factory imaged provided by @Waxberry and just redownloaded all the OTAs, including the (at that time) new January one.

Since I believe there will be a major OTA update sometime after the CNY, I'm going to wait until that update before I try rooting again. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, J_P said:

Sorry, I'm on Lineage already so I cant help with the original build numbers anymore but I don't think there are region specific builds.

If you struggle with rooting the current release, flash the first release via fastboot (deletes all data) and root it. After that you have 3-4 OTA updates to manage then you are at the current one.

Have you tried to use the corresponding image Ilrilan extracted ?  

Edited by mcdinner
addition
29 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

...Is needing to unroot in order to run OTAs a thing? Never had an Android phone new enough to get new OTAs so unsure how this all works...

Supposed to work like this (minus the TWRP step):

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-ota-update-rooted-android-device-guide/#How_to_Install_OTA_Updates_on_Rooted_Android_Devices

Found this after my adventure, so never got to try it out.  It depends on getting the original patching and rooting right.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:00 AM, J_P said:

I have that exact version rooted, using pretty much the *current* steps in the first post of this thread. (I.E. I patched the boot.img using the Magisk Manager installed on my device and installed that using fastboot)

So @zurvan2 and @daniel.schaaaf

What have I done differently from you:

- Installed two OTAs to get to QX1000_EEA_20200106110245

- Unlocked developer options, enabled USB debugging and OEM unlock

- Used adb for Windows linked in the first post

- Rebooted to bootloader with adb, perfomed fastboot flashing unlock - phone was unlocked and factory reset. Bootloader screen shows that it's unlocked.

- Installed the Magisk apk linked in this thread - I have version 20.3

- Downloaded the boot.img from https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EHlG9ZWNMimAN55yKDvMUUE_ow-FDznG?usp=sharing  (magisk_backup-5_20200106)

- Copied that boot.img to my phone, used Magisk app to patch it. Magisk settings are at their defaults - Preserve force encryption & Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity.

- Magisk patching goes ok and produces a patched file of 22080 KB.

- Copied that file back to my ADB working directory, rebooted to bootloader.

- Performed fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img - looks to have been successful.

- Reboot with fastboot reboot, but I open Magisk manager and it still says it is not installed??

I've tried many times, flashed to boot_a & boot_b, it just doesn't work!

Edited by J_P
3 hours ago, J_P said:

So @zurvan2 and @daniel.schaaaf

What have I done differently from you:

I did it the exact same way. Your phone booting at all shows that the boot image itself matches your Android version.

Here are my SHA1 checksums:

boot.img    B464AF10C436F5709392F62EA03BDF2E17C03D5D

magisk_patched.img    91D9EED33B452B34ECB567F871420EF295E0F2C3

(would the patched images differ on a different phone, assuming the same model and Android build?)

Thanks for that @daniel.schaaaf - my checksums match for both the original boot.img and the magisk_patched.img - so I'm flashing exactly the same file as you and it's reporting successful but I still get 'Magisk is not installed'

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my device.

A bit of a stab in the dark but would you be able to do a fastboot getvar all  and post the result? I'd like to see if there are any obvious differences.

I've attached mine in case it's of use to someone more knowledgeable than me.

Also - you posted on Monday that you were having trouble - what did you do differently to successfully get root?

fastboot_getvar_all.txt

Just followed the guide on page 2, had the 201912 firmware so used the 201912 boot.img.

...To anyone wanting to perform it, the things that tripped me up were:

• The boot.img files were gzipped (boot.img.gz) and I didn't have an unzip app on the phone so had to use 7zip on the PC to extract it.
  • The android tools didn't see my phone on my Win7 PC but worked fine on my Win10 notebook.
  • You need to allow the ADB connection on the phone when you connect it, otherwise 'adb devices' shows it a unauthorised and you can't do anything.
  • 'magisk_patched.img' ends up in your phones download folder, I had to set the phone USB transfer mode to 'file transfer' for the phone to show its contents.
  • 'Systemless Hosts' is found in the settings menu inside Magisk.
  • 'AdAway' is an external app you can download from F-Droid, XDA or AdAway's GitHu page.
  • 'Youtube Vanced' is a Magisk addon you can download from inside Magisk under its download menu.