Pro1 first-day-user questions

18 minutes ago, netman said:

I have stared at it plenty, nothing says "cheap"... It's beatifully made 🙂.

I have owned many exclusive device in the past.

its by far the most beautiful looking device. it doesnt look cheap, it really looks premium

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bug has been fixed with the latest OTA update, yes 🙂

I would venture to say most of us don't want any of that, having a keyboard gives me full control of that myself..... however that doesn't mean the toggles to turn it on/off shouldn't be there for peo

For those of you wants to have word suggestions, try using Swift key instead of GBoard. It has most of the features, if not all, as a software keyboard. Because most users wants clean Android, we

Posted Images

7 hours ago, CornholioGSM said:

....i have question about ∆∆∆...you say that is visible how is display glued. Can you post some photos how it looks?

...i am little scared if it really looks too cheap 😞

It's visible only on the black bezel on the top and bottom (when looking in portrait). The fingerprint scanner is also not well aligned. 

Edit: and the SIM card tray is also flimsy - looks like it could break with the next opening. Notification LED is also working gradually, was expecting to be more fluent - it's a detail, but annoys me (even my wife's xiaomi's LED works better - maybe can be corrected with a software update?)

1 hour ago, pops said:

...But I feel that the current state of software in the phone is more for enthusiasts as the experience isn't as polished as I would like it to be.

100% agreed about the software, for me it's bad enough to go back to my old Galaxy S7 (also if it wasn't faulty) as my daily driver and Pro1 stay with me as a toy to play with (and get used to that looong keyboard) in free time until some updates come out, for example for the keyboard.

It's far from working like You were using the virtual one but with real buttons - no capitals automatically, no autocorrect, no word suggestions (very useful when writing in a foreign language), no space after commas or dots, You can't choose any language to type because You lose the possibility of typing some of the symbols in (yes, can be corrected with creating Your own layout when rooted, but that's not what non-power users expect, also not everyone wants to root the device right away because of banking apps for example). Basically there is no software support for it, beside it's working.

The launcher which was supposed to be projected strictly for this device is also very basic.

As for a device which first release was being postponed because of software polishing, there's still a lot of work to do.

I'm not worried about that, software can always be corrected with updates. As I will have to send it back anyway, I'm going back to my S7 for now (no sense in configuring everything for those few days).

Edited by anonim001
31 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

no capitals automatically, no autocorrect, no space after commas or dots,

I would venture to say most of us don't want any of that, having a keyboard gives me full control of that myself..... however that doesn't mean the toggles to turn it on/off shouldn't be there for people like you that dont get annoyed by it, I usually just turn that stuff off if its enabled.

no word suggestions

Now that wouldn't be bad.  A one line bar of suggestions.

31 minutes ago, anonim001 said:

can be corrected with creating Your own layout when rooted

There's an app I've tried key mapper, doesn't require root, for this.  (In fact I factory reset and unrooted now and its working fine).  I started a thread about it.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Craig said:

I would venture to say most of us don't want any of that, having a keyboard gives me full control of that myself..... however that doesn't mean the toggles to turn it on/off shouldn't be there for people like you that dont get annoyed by it, I usually just turn that stuff off if its enabled.

100% true. Most power users will turn it off right after first boot, but if the device wants to be a hit, it must get to the mass sooner or later, and many standard users would like to have that feature.

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Now that wouldn't be bad.  A one line bar of suggestions.

If there's something they could borrow from BB, that would be it - on PRIV it worked great.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

There's an app I've tried key mapper, doesn't require root, for this.  (In fact I factory reset and unrooted now and its working fine).  I started a thread about it.

Great to know, will try that one out as soon as my Pro1 gets back to me.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Not a method you're likely to use.  🙂  I used fastboot to flash vendor and boot image netman made, then used linage recovery to factory reset.

if i intend to clean device then which method is best for factory reset?

the andriod settings factory rest is i suppose not fully clean

the usb adb method told by waxbary, have you tried it? all the boot image files are all good?

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Not a method you're likely to use.  🙂  I used fastboot to flash vendor and boot image netman made, then used linage recovery to factory reset.

Lineage recovery = TWRP?  Does that mean the built in recovery of the Pro1 doesn't have a factory reset, or is the built in recovery missing for you too, as someone else reported?

10 minutes ago, david said:

Lineage recovery = TWRP?  Does that mean the built in recovery of the Pro1 doesn't have a factory reset, or is the built in recovery missing for you too, as someone else reported?

Factory reset is in settings.  (I haven't gone looking for recovery because I haven't studied how to do that yet).

1 hour ago, Craig said:

The factory recovery didn't seem to do much at all the time I tried booting into it, just showing an android logo with open belly if I recall right..

Lineage Recovery is not Team Win Recovery.   Different projects.

I knew they were different, but wasn't sure if you were using the TWRP that the devloper was working on tweaking too.  

So, I guess we don't have a recovery for the Pro1 in the stock ROM.  That is so odd.

Is the Lineage Recovery able to red the encrypted data partition?

UPDATE:  Nevermind.  Google is telling me that it can't do backups or read encrypted partitions. 😞

Edited by david

Hello.

I don't know how to post my question, so it's seem to be the best place... Could people with the Pro1 tell me how are the performance of the phone for gaming, especially with PUBG Mobile?

I'm know on the Note 9, with incredible performance for this game... I'm waiting my Pro1, but I doubt about the perf...

Thanks for your feedback

Kind regards

Hello.

I don't know how to post my question, so it's seem to be the best place... Could people with the Pro1 tell me how are the performance of the phone for gaming, especially with PUBG Mobile?

I'm know on the Note 9, with incredible performance for this game... I'm waiting my Pro1, but I doubt about the perf...

Thanks for your feedback

Kind regards

The Note 9 has faster hardware for sure, though it's up in the air by how much. You can try comparing benchmarks or maybe even find some tests made with that game in particular on similar hardware.

Something of note are the different screens however. As a blessing in disguise, the Pro1 will only have to push about 54% of the pixels the Note 9 has to render in native resolution.

• Thanks 1
On 12/19/2019 at 10:52 PM, netman said:

This is the android pie replacement for what was called the navigation cluster, it's very annoying but luckily you can turn it off. Go to settings->system->gestures->"swipe up on home button" and turn the only setting there off, then it will be normal :). I have no clue what they were thinking at google, but they made that and now almost every modern phone is like that by default.

Thanks, that cluster replacement is fuarrrking trash, glad I got the three buttons back now.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, okayphoneme said:

So what is the notification LED like? Does anyone share OP's concerns about it?

Yes. It's not blinking as fluently and gradually as say that LED of one of the Samsung Galaxy smartphones do.

But it does not annoy me. It also blinks in mixed colors (all at once) if I say got a mail and a sms.

So indeed not perfect, but imo okay and possibly fixable via software.

What annoys me more is the screen. It looks quite nice at half+ brightness, but has a terrible green tone to it if I go under 50 percent brightnes. But I can live with it.

• Like 1

Just a question, do your devices have wobbling problem when closed? My Pro1 wobbles at the bottom at it takes away that "premium" feeling. I wonder how many has the same problem. Hook's device doesn't have any wobbles from what he wrote in other topic. It was like that from the beginning for me and I only started thinking about it after I heard that some people experience no wobble at all.

13 hours ago, Gon009 said:

Just a question, do your devices have wobbling problem when closed? My Pro1 wobbles at the bottom at it takes away that "premium" feeling. I wonder how many has the same problem. Hook's device doesn't have any wobbles from what he wrote in other topic. It was like that from the beginning for me and I only started thinking about it after I heard that some people experience no wobble at all.

Some things are poorly assembled in mine, but there's no wobble on the hinge at all.

Mine is not wobbly, its quite firm.

However i have reservations about two things which are also based on E7 experience

1- The Sim tray is a bad design just like E7. i feel it will break if you pull it in and out too often

2- The usb c port is not good design, again like E7. unlike my Note 8 the usb port is more outwards means when you plug in usb adaptor etc it doesnt go all the way in upto the base. so it can hence press it and can break usb. it the same issue i have with E7

8 minutes ago, kashif said:

Mine is not wobbly, its quite firm.

However i have reservations about two things which are also based on E7 experience

1- The Sim tray is a bad design just like E7. i feel it will break if you pull it in and out too often

2- The usb c port is not good design, again like E7. unlike my Note 8 the usb port is more outwards means when you plug in usb adaptor etc it doesnt go all the way in upto the base. so it can hence press it and can break usb. it the same issue i have with E7

Agree, but everything else feels really solid, no wobbeling for me either!

15 hours ago, Gon009 said:

I'm not quite sure where the wobbling you describe appear. But some strategically placed tiny pieces of self adhesive felt (like used inside jewellery boxes and the like) can improve the experience to an exclusive level. I had many on the "pre-production" unit, a few on the "Final sample" and a single one only on the "Retail" unit.

30 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm not quite sure where the wobbling you describe appear. But some strategically placed tiny pieces of self adhesive felt (like used inside jewellery boxes and the like) can improve the experience to an exclusive level. I had many on the "pre-production" unit, a few on the "Final sample" and a single one only on the "Retail" unit.

You can listen to what is happening when I move my finger left and right on the phone, first I show that everything is OK on the top and then I do the same on the bottom, you need to put your volume up to hear that because quality of my mic in old phone is poor:

https://youtu.be/dysNIZc5Pyw

The same happens the I tap the screen stronger.

It was like that from the start, it seems that phones don't pass proper quality checks after assembling. I wish I could ask for a replacement but I know I will have to wait few months for it... Shame on Fxtec.

Since you are quite familiar with Pro1 now, could you help me fix it in any way so my phone doesn't feel like a cheap Chinese toy, please?

Edited by Gon009