As a protective case, I've already decided to try a Huawei P20 Pro flipcase, when my phone finally will arrive, similar to the latest case @EskeRahn has found in his extensive research on that topic.

Now one big question for me remains – how will I fix it in my car?

If possible, I want to continue using the Brodit holder system which attaches the phone very securly, but still rotatable, to the dashboard so that it stays out of my view through the windscreen. The system consists of two parts – one part dedicated to the specific car, and one part dedicated to the specific phone. The selections for both cars and phones are impressive, although not complete; specifically some of the latest phones are missing which will probably never get a dedicated shell (like my current Moto Z3 Play – there's a generic shell available, though, too, that can be adjusted for different sizes, but it looks a bit too chunky for my tastes). Some years ago, a car-side part was still available even for the 1986 Audi 90 [B2] I used to drive until 2013 (today, of course I'm driving a much more modern car, a 1993 Audi 80 [B4]).

Back when I bought the HTC Desire Z, and, later, the BlackBerry PRIV, I was able to get dedicated shells for each of them (here's the one for the Desire Z, and here the one for the PRIV), specifically built to allow both for rotating the device and sliding out the keyboard!

As I'm not expecting to get a dedicated Pro1 holder from them, though, I'm not hoping to get a holder that leaves the slider keyboard functional, but I'd be happy enough to be able to get a shell that lets me use it as a "normal" phone. 

Now, am I wrong to assume that the Huwei P20 Pro shell, with the keyboard part fixed to it, might get in the way by obstructing the screen half of the phone a bit so that it might not close properly?

spacer.png

Cheers,
Robert

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And adapt quite well  

3D Files are here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4236222 (thingiverse is quite slow today)

I used Fusion360: Printed on a Prusa I3 mk3:  

Posted Images

Well brodit is really good. Have it in several cars and have nothing to complain about. Just was sad few times, that the E7 cannot be opened in the holder. Unfortunately this is not possible, but also not that necessary. I think I will try a "brodit" 3d print, cause I love the in car installation system and the way of easy transportability to another car/phone etc. 

Edit: first of all I will try how that works with universal brodit holder, charger included. Have that here. Then we will see. 

Edited by Swond
P. S. Universal
  • Thanks 1

A question for the people that already have a Pro1, can you stick a magnet to the back of it? There are those car mounts that are just a big magnet that I think could work pretty well, though obviously the back needs to be ferromagnetic for that to work. All I know about the back is that it's some sort of metallic.

2 hours ago, Zamasu said:

A question for the people that already have a Pro1, can you stick a magnet to the back of it? There are those car mounts that are just a big magnet that I think could work pretty well, though obviously the back needs to be ferromagnetic for that to work. All I know about the back is that it's some sort of metallic.

If you are using it a in case, it could make a lot of sense to add some iron for a magnet. Of course you can also stick it directly on the phone, but that will impair the aesthetics

5 hours ago, Zamasu said:

Strong magnets will make it think the keyboard is closed when it is not, because there is a hall sensor to detect a magnet on the screen side of the device at the top right of the keyboard (holding as one would type in landscape). If you bring them close enough to that hall sensor anyway.

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is actually not that easy to find car holders intended for landscape. Just ordered this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362815024453

(Sure a lot of the portrait holders can be rotated, but the portrait grip comes a a high risk of interfering with the buttons on the long top edge, and many are likely to not work when the Pro1 is opened, and certainly not with a flip case...)

s-l1600[1].jpg

11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It is actually not that easy to find car holders intended for landscape. Just ordered this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362815024453

(Sure a lot of the portrait holders can be rotated, but the portrait grip comes a a high risk of interfering with the buttons on the long top edge, and many are likely to not work when the Pro1 is opened, and certainly not with a flip case...)

For me, I think a portrait holder is good for a car.
The keyboard may not be opened even with horizontal holder, but more importantly, I think navigation is much better in portrait mode... at least with the programs I tried, portrait mode was more informative about the road and the way itself.

1 minute ago, VaZso said:

For me, I think a portrait holder is good for a car.
The keyboard may not be opened even with horizontal holder, but more importantly, I think navigation is much better in portrait mode... at least with the programs I tried, portrait mode was more informative about the road and the way itself.

You are right, but that does not fit well with a flip case...

Another option for landscape might be this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121370954178 perhaps cutting off the top 'wings'

For car usage, I don't expect to leave the phone in a protective case. None of my earlier car holders would have worked that way...

What I'm worried about with an option that just holds the closed phone in portrait mode, though (like the Brodit holder for the P20 Pro), is that it might prevent the phone from closing properly, or is that unfounded?

Edited by Rob. S.
59 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

For car usage, I don't expect to leave the phone in a protective case. None of my earlier car holders would have worked that way...

What I'm worried about with an option that just holds the closed phone in portrait mode, though (like the Brodit holder for the P20 Pro), is that it might prevent the phone from closing properly, or is that unfounded?

It could sit just fine closed in portrait. However it could be an issue NOT having it pressing one of the keys...

It would require 'jaws' with large clearance (about 7-8cm) to grip symmetric around the device and above the volume rockers. If asymmetric it needs some 5cm clearance to get across the power and volume rocker.

IMG_20191229_175536_HDR~01~01.jpg

• Thanks 1

The universal holder from Brodit does the job.
Sorry, no idea about measurements and order number, it is like 6 years old.
But i just needed to widen this universal holder to max after using it for XA2 which was more narrow.
The thickness is exactly matching the cutout space so the pro¹ sits very tight.
https://twitter.com/eLtMosen/status/1197074326245257216

Oh, and cheers form an Audi 80 [B4] owner for ~10years 😄
Now i upgraded to this nice [W639] Vito with just 260tKm.

spacer.png

Edited by mosen
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, mosen said:

The universal holder from Brodit does the job.
Sorry, no idea about measurements and order number, it is like 6 years old.

Excellent, thanks! That would be one of these, then, best fit is probably #511307 or #711042 ...

17 hours ago, mosen said:

Oh, and cheers form an Audi 80 [B4] owner for ~10years

🙂 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Excellent, thanks! That would be one of these, then, best fit is probably #511307 or #711042 ...

Since Pro¹ is 73,6mm wide i can safely say i got the 62-77mm variant.
Most likely mine is an old model of 511307. But since 711042 starts at min 70mm it should also fit, right.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kzin said:

I was just looking at the Cosmo Communicator, & saw this:

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/car-mount-kit?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_pid=3878141526110&pr_ref_pid=3934665015390&pr_seq=uniform

I do like the look of that keyboard...

Interesting, looks like a generic holder with a label added. Could be interesting to know the dimensions the unbranded can hold.

23 hours ago, Kzin said:

I was just looking at the Cosmo Communicator, & saw this:

https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/car-mount-kit?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_pid=3878141526110&pr_ref_pid=3934665015390&pr_seq=uniform

I do like the look of that keyboard...

I like the look of the Cosmo too, except that the keyboard is such that you pretty much have to lay it on a table to type. People who already own them have confirmed my suspicion that it is really a UMPC with a phone in the back of the screen rather than a true smartphone with a keyboard. I'll probably get one eventually, but as a curiosity, not a phone.

• Like 3

I use this BaseUs one for all phones, in landscape mode. It has a sensor and a touch button to open and close (motorized).

Baseus-Smart-Air-Vent-Car-Holder-Qi-Wire

And I plan to use this BaseUs wireless pad ( I use it on my temporary Sony in combination with a bumper case):

Baseus-Qi-Wireless-Charger-Receiver-For-

I see no reasons why this wouldn't work. It worked so far with a Galaxy S6+, Sony XZs and Galaxy A8. Perhaps I will try different pads. But for now, this one will do, since I have two lying around here.
Can't say anything about the Pro1 though... Still waiting for me pre-orders.

Edited by DieBruine
3 hours ago, DieBruine said:

And I plan to use this BaseUs wireless pad ( I use it on my temporary Sony in combination with a bumper case):

I don't know how big it is, but it may not be connected easily as Type-C connector of Pro1 is not centered...
(Which is convenient anyway when it is being charged and you would like to type on its keyboard - if it were centered then charger cable would be in wrong place.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Baseus-Qi-Wireless-Charger-Receiver-For-

I see no reasons why this wouldn't work. It worked so far with a Galaxy S6+, Sony XZs and Galaxy A8. Perhaps I will try different pads. But for now, this one will do, since I have two lying around here.

The one in the picture looks quite wide, this MIGHT be an issue, as the plug is off centre by half an inch (to give a better grip opened and plugged).

Also note that the Pro1 curves off towards the sides to give the pebble-like feeling, so it is important that the plate is flexible and not stiff.

Just for the record, I asked Brodit whether they might make a dedicated holder for the Pro¹, but somewhat expectedly they said no, "right now we can't say if we're going to make one in the future, but as it looks right now there are no plans".

• Thanks 1