Jump to content
fxyo1

After a solid month, I give up. I need to vent.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, J_P said:

Look, I'm not offended, but reading through this thread for the first time today I felt bad for some of the posters - they're discussing the real issues and frustrations they're experiencing and they probably don't appreciate being compared to 4 year olds who have to ride a tricycle.
There's a distinct hint of "you'd love this phone if you were skillful and intelligent, but as you're a clumsy oaf you're having problems."

Nothing of the sort!

Just saying that YES it has a learning curve, and YES it is worth learning. And as many other things once learned, it is easy. Nothing more, nothing less....
I even offered suggestions on alternative (though somewhat odd) ways to open it with practically zero learning curve.

I personally can not play a violin, but I do not blame the violin-design for that, and I find it quite silly if people do....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first saw there was going to be a tilt, not straight slider, I was concerned the angle would be annoying when holding the device.  I've found that isn't the case, and the angle makes it better for reading when placed on a table (like while eating alone or something). 

I've got much better with opening than December, but I still feel this will remain an ongoing complaint by reviewers and new users.   And if there were competition, and someone walked into a phone store w/o any prior experience and compared pro¹ to any other regular slider, they'd buy the regular slider, cuz pro¹ so difficult to open.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig said:

When I first saw there was going to be a tilt, not straight slider, I was concerned the angle would be annoying when holding the device.  I've found that isn't the case, and the angle makes it better for reading when placed on a table (like while eating alone or something). 

I've got much better with opening than December, but I still feel this will remain an ongoing complaint by reviewers and new users.   And if there were competition, and someone walked into a phone store w/o any prior experience and compared pro¹ to any other regular slider, they'd buy the regular slider, cuz pro¹ so difficult to open.

I have to agree been trying to find my N97 to compare but I'm sure it was a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig said:

When I first saw there was going to be a tilt, not straight slider, I was concerned the angle would be annoying when holding the device.  I've found that isn't the case, and the angle makes it better for reading when placed on a table (like while eating alone or something). 

 

What I really enjoy is reading with the keyboard open and the book forced to portrait.  This might only be a pleasure for right-handers, but wrapping my left hand around the keyboard gives me a very firm, comfortable grip while my right index finger turns pages, or my right hand grabs my coffee.  My hand doesn't get tired holding it this way. It's perfect for reading.

pro1read1.jpg

pro1read2.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hook said:

What I really enjoy is reading with the keyboard open and the book forced to portrait.  This might only be a pleasure for right-handers, but wrapping my left hand around the keyboard gives me a very firm, comfortable grip while my right index finger turns pages, or my right hand grabs my coffee.  My hand doesn't get tired holding it this way. It's perfect for reading.

In all fairness, that would work close to equally well on a plain slider.

Though the tilt DO give a small extra advantage if you rest your hand on say a table. I tried to take an image...

IMG_20200226_223337~01.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

In all fairness, that would work close to equally well on a plain slider.

Most definitely, I can do the same thing with my Droid 4.  Not an issue.  Also, I can very easily open my D4 with one hand (as I can with the Pro1).  I never had any issues opening any of the Droids with one hand.  I also never had any of the other issues mentioned above with sliders either.  The only exception would be sometimes it will be in a pocket and begin to open, activating the touchscreen without me knowing it.  However, it's very rare and happens, at best, 3 to 4 times/year.

I like the angled screen, but really only use it while holding it, so I don't consider it a must have feature (honestly, I could care less one way or the other, it's more important to me that the phone work well and has good battery life).  It's true that the Droid sliders are easier to open at first, but it's also very true that, once one gets used to opening the Pro1, it can be opened as easily as a simple slider (be it with one hand, or two. At least that's been my experience). 

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

In all fairness, that would work close to equally well on a plain slider.

Though the tilt DO give a small extra advantage if you rest your hand on say a table. I tried to take an image...

IMG_20200226_223337~01.jpg

Hey, are we wearing the same pull-over? 😄 Probably not.  Mine's L.L. Bean. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, netman said:

for a moment i thought that table was a naked leg

Old, but not wooden legs (yet) 🤪

 

14 minutes ago, Hook said:

Mine's L.L. Bean. 

Haglöfs fleece soft shell.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that it is easier to open a slider quickly and *quietly* than the Pro1.  It can be opened quietly, but it takes more time.  The sliders I have used are relatively quiet when opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, david said:

I will say that it is easier to open a slider quickly and *quietly* than the Pro1.  It can be opened quietly, but it takes more time.  The sliders I have used are relatively quiet when opened.

If you lift from the back and guide the front with your thumb, the Pro 1 opens very quietly.  You don't even have to do it slowly.  You just don't let it fly into place on it's own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hook said:

If you lift from the back and guide the front with your thumb, the Pro 1 opens very quietly.  You don't even have to do it slowly.  You just don't let it fly into place on it's own.

Still slower for me than a slider.  It isn't a deal breaker.  It is just different.  Sliders are just quieter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, david said:

Still slower for me than a slider.  It isn't a deal breaker.  It is just different.  Sliders are just quieter.

I agree completely, still slower and more quiet, but no biggie (in the least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, david said:

Still slower for me than a slider.  It isn't a deal breaker.  It is just different.  Sliders are just quieter.

I'm not arguing with you here.  This is my first keyboard phone so I have nothing to compare it to (and I don't mind the clack 😉 .  However I'm confused by your terminology.  It sounds like you think the Pro 1 isn't a "slider." It may not be, what do I know, but I thought it was.  Do you mean by "slider" a straight slider (I would call a keyboard tray slider as opposed to an angled slider)?  Honestly, just curious, to better understand the communication.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm not arguing with you here.  This is my first keyboard phone so I have nothing to compare it to (and I don't mind the clack 😉 .  However I'm confused by your terminology.  It sounds like you think the Pro 1 isn't a "slider." It may not be, what do I know, but I thought it was.  Do you mean by "slider" a straight slider (I would call a keyboard tray slider as opposed to an angled slider)?  Honestly, just curious, to better understand the communication.

I take it that he is referring to a traditional slider where the screen isn't angled, but is parallel with the keyboard (a good example is my Droid 4).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Polaris said:

I take it that he is referring to a traditional slider where the screen isn't angled, but is parallel with the keyboard (a good example is my Droid 4).

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I guess ours is a... Clacker.  😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Polaris said:

I take it that he is referring to a traditional slider where the screen isn't angled, but is parallel with the keyboard (a good example is my Droid 4).

Indeed it is confusing that the Pro1 is called a slider, as it does not slide...

But I guess no one have come up with a good descriptive word.

The movement reminds me of a dolphin jumping out of the waterr. So my least bad suggestion is "Flipper", that both relates "flipping" it open and the famous film, but people also associate flipping with opening a clamshell, so not good.... I would love it if someone had a good descriptive word for it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hook said:

I guess ours is a... Clacker.  😄

 

17 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The movement reminds me of a dolphin jumping out of the waterr. So my least bad suggestion is "Flipper", that both relates "flipping" it open and the famous film, but people also associate flipping with opening a clamshell, so not good.... I would love it if someone had a good descriptive word for it.

Agree with both of you.  Funny in that I have never referred to my phones as sliders (although they have been, or pop-up, or flip and spin, lol).  I just always referred to them as tactile, or physical, landscape keyboard phones.  This was perfectly descriptive, and never became confusing in conversation.  Speaking to someone who isn't familiar with a Pro1 they wouldn't have a clue what a clack phone, or a clacker is and I would be afraid it would just introduce more confusion.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Speaking to someone who isn't familiar with a Pro1 they wouldn't have a clue what a clack phone, or a clacker is and I would be afraid it would just introduce more confusion.

Exactly. The word has to be descriptive, and it won't help to find a rarity deep in the English dictionary that no one understand.

Maybe one should see it more as the keyboard dropping down than the display popping up? A jaw dropper perhaps... 😜
If one holds the display part and gives the back edge of the lower part a slight push with a third finger, i is actually a bit like a jaw dropping...

Ideas have been thrown around in this thread after @Waxberry asking

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Indeed it is confusing that the Pro1 is called a slider, as it does not slide...

But I guess no one have come up with a good descriptive word.

The movement reminds me of a dolphin jumping out of the waterr. So my least bad suggestion is "Flipper", that both relates "flipping" it open and the famous film, but people also associate flipping with opening a clamshell, so not good.... I would love it if someone had a good descriptive word for it.

Retractable micro laptop? 🙂

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tdm said:

Retractable micro laptop? 🙂

 

Hmm, to me laptop associates with clamshells, like the Cosmo. But retractable is a good word...

Does anyone recall what Nokia called them back in time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hook said:

I'm not arguing with you here.  This is my first keyboard phone so I have nothing to compare it to (and I don't mind the clack 😉 .  However I'm confused by your terminology.  It sounds like you think the Pro 1 isn't a "slider." It may not be, what do I know, but I thought it was.  Do you mean by "slider" a straight slider (I would call a keyboard tray slider as opposed to an angled slider)?  Honestly, just curious, to better understand the communication.

Yeah, as you said, and others as well, I'm just drawing a distinction in the world of landscape keyboard phones between those that slide and those that have hinge mechanisms.  My Relay 4G was a slider.  The two halves slide on rails.  The Pro1 has its hinge mechanism, where the top part pivots up and away from the bottom part.

My T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire Z) has hinges too, but it lies flat after it pivots up, instead of the angle of the Pro1.  As I was playing with it just now, I realized that it is like a mini-Pro1 in that the sound is similar.  It isn't quiet like the slider.  It is easier to keep silent when opening and easier to open than the Pro1 though.  You can just push it straight like a slider, and that triggers it to pivot up and back down.

I am guessing @Polaris's flip and spin was a Sidekick?  I don't have either of mine handy here to listen to how loud they were.  I think it wasn't very loud. The screen was smaller and it was a bezeless screen (at least on the short ends, of the sidekick 3..the sidekick lx did have bezels on all sides of the screen) that was twisting into place, because when retracted, it was protected by the bezels of the keyboard half of the phone.

Those definitely got the most attention from others when they would see me open them:

rdr07aqgkkwqespc3reb.gif

The GIF doesn't really do it justice, because it looks like she has to help it up and around.  You just had to nudge it up from the lower left, or maybe even from the lower right, or nudge it down from the top right, and it would spring to life and flip around quickly.  Definitely the fastest/easiest to open out of all the keyboard phones I've had.  And although the keyboards didn't have as many dedicated symbol keys as the Pro1, they were very nice to type on.

Edited by david
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's safe to say that we're by-and-large the 'tinkering' types that enjoy spending time on an unrestricted/unlocked device even if it makes no rational sense.

I like having something different. It makes me proud even if it's behind the times and absolutely flawed lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 6:17 AM, FlyingAntero said:

In addition to that, DragonBox has a nice "Hints and fixes" page for Pro1.

I am using Edge Null with "Detect Edge Swipes" activated. I would add Google Camera to the list also (either BSG or PocoPhone F1 port).

@fxyo1 If you want to sell the broken unit I would like to have it for spare parts.

  Reveal hidden contents

How did you make "Detect edge swipes" working? It does not work for me and not being able to swipe is as painful as accidental touches on edges.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gon009 said:

How did you make "Detect edge swipes" working? It does not work for me and not being able to swipe is as painful as accidental touches on edges.

I'm using Full Screen Gestures.

Edited by Slion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms