• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  Just wanted share the case I printed out for my wife.  She wanted a functional opening case that would protect her phone and won't fly off when it opens.  After many attempts I was able to

Hello, again. I also made a bumper case 🙂 It helps me to avoid touching screen edges by accident. I also noticed that I could hold Pro1 securely because FDM printed layer lines work to prevent

Hi, I just wanted to share my simple back cover here :) You can download STL and F3D files from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4617029  

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.  Just wanted share the case I printed out for my wife.  She wanted a functional opening case that would protect her phone and won't fly off when it opens.  After many attempts I was able to get it to work.  

Case1.png.34cabb110e2b8e1278b3f3894fdb02bb.pngCase1Open.png.8728a3813b10a2fd575c42c148915271.png

I'm probably going to modify it some more and tweak my print settings to make it a lot nicer and possible do some post print finishing.  

• Like 16
4 hours ago, goodman_j said:

I'm probably going to modify it some more and tweak my print settings to make it a lot nicer and possible do some post print finishing.

This is exactly the kind of case I've been waiting for! This type of case is superior to those flappy book style ones in that it still protects the edges, corners and to an extent the screen while allowing you to actually see and use the screen without having to open a flap each time.

Can't wait to see the final version. Then I just need to find somewhere that can print me a few TPU prints of it...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, goodman_j said:

Hey guys.  Just wanted share the case I printed out for my wife.  She wanted a functional opening case that would protect her phone and won't fly off when it opens.  After many attempts I was able to get it to work.  

Case1.png.34cabb110e2b8e1278b3f3894fdb02bb.pngCase1Open.png.8728a3813b10a2fd575c42c148915271.png

Great job!!  I think a lot of us are hoping for someting like this, to protect the top and bottom of the phone.  As mentioned, a soft case would be great for absorbing shocks.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, goodman_j said:

Once I finish the complete design, I will make a decision.  I will most likely print them out for people that want it and they can just pay for the shipping.

+ materials😉

• Like 1

I'd accept someone making them so long as they're using a quality printer, and the filament they're using is both flexible (rubberised ideally) and won't break down over time/use...

It has to be able to protect the phone, probably for a long time, especially if noone else is going to be making such cases for the Pro1...

Edited by lameboyadvance
On 4/4/2020 at 9:10 PM, goodman_j said:

Case1Open.png.8728a3813b10a2fd575c42c148915271.png

While this is definitely the best case I've seen for this phone so far (other than flip cases), this picture makes me wary of how much it would impede usage of the keyboard's top row. Could you tell us if it causes any issues? Could it be made thinner in that area?

Edited by Raksura
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Raksura said:

While this is definitely the best case I've seen for this phone so far (other than flip cases), this picture makes me wary of how much it would impede usage of the keyboard's top row. Could you tell us if it causes any issues? Could it be made thinner in that area?

Interesting point. Didn't notice that, thanks. I wonder if making it thinner would even be possible without seriously reducing the stability? And at the least the corners should stay 'thick' , as those are the areas most in need of protection by a case.

Though I at first made (well adapted) a flip case as a 'quick fix' in lack of something better I am getting used to it, and as I see the images here, I doubt that the overhead size is much bigger than this type of dedicated case. When you make the flip case like a japanese book, opening to the right in portrait, the flap does not interfere with the operation at all. (and protects the keys closed)

The obvious drawback of a flipcase is that the screen is not visible closed, so maybe the optimal flipcase would be one where the flip-part was not made of (faux) leather but a sheet of transparent material, like TPU. I guess that would be super easy to print, only leaving the issue of having the magnets included. Is it possible to print in steps? a flat trasparent layer, then manually put the magnets on the two small opposite flaps, then print another layer around the magnets, and finally a thin layer more? The inner layer should leave two weakened lines, where the cover bends. Optimally then continue to print the case grapping the lower half.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, goodman_j said:

Look for a second wife? I have very long hair.

Edited by Adrienspawn
  • Haha 9
22 hours ago, Raksura said:

I also didn't notice how close the case was to the top row.

...But anyone have any idea of how you could actually reduce the size of the case edge near the keyboard, while still keeping case rigidity?

1 hour ago, lameboyadvance said:

...But anyone have any idea of how you could actually reduce the size of the case edge near the keyboard, while still keeping case rigidity?

I don't have a good estimate of sizes there, but it seems to me that a bridge shaped hole (which would  need to be comfortable enough for a thumb to go press the top row) going over the keys while still protecting all corners might be a solution. There's quite the room on both sides of the keyboard to have both sides of the "bridge" remain and not loose any of the current protection.

I've attached a very crude drawing of what I mean. That's supposed to be the screen protector, with the hole at the bottom to allow unimpeded access to the keys.

bitmap.png

Looking at it again, it doesn't look like the hole even needs to be that large. I don't know how much height it would need though.

Edited by Raksura
4 hours ago, Raksura said:

I don't have a good estimate of sizes there, but it seems to me that a bridge shaped hole (which would  need to be comfortable enough for a thumb to go press the top row) going over the keys while still protecting all corners might be a solution. There's quite the room on both sides of the keyboard to have both sides of the "bridge" remain and not loose any of the current protection.

I've attached a very crude drawing of what I mean. That's supposed to be the screen protector, with the hole at the bottom to allow unimpeded access to the keys.

bitmap.png

Looking at it again, it doesn't look like the hole even needs to be that large. I don't know how much height it would need though.

The problem with a hole is that when open, the screen edge gets close to vertical, so at whatever hight ypu would put the bridge, it will be a nuisance...

Hi guys.  Just to respond to the question of whether the design impedes front first row usability, for us it doesn't.  This may not be the case for everyone.  My wife and I are both asian and we are shorter than the average in our area.  We are both roughly around 157 cm tall.  This means we have smaller hands with slender fingers so it may be to our advatange in this case.  However, since I have decided to share this with people I have been incorporating some design revisions so that functionality is more generalized.  No pictures to share as of yet but I will post when I get more test prints completed.

Edited by goodman_j
Spelling and word choice errors.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi Guys,

Just an update of the progress.  After the front case breaking twice due to drops, I made it a bit beefier.  I also Cut out a section so that the front case does not sit on the first row keys.  Not sure if it is enough for people with bigger fingers or with long finger nails.  I'd need to find someone with thicker fingers to try it out.  I also made some more adjustments to the the back case for usability.  I don't have super detailed pictures of the back case adjustments but I am fairly confident that I am close to finished product.

Here are some shots.

image.png.97e72e3866c07db9e77b6512dc910fff.png image.png.c0be8b1d84e995884117018ab64fb047.png  image.png.e5b54308461e9e82ea1bc9be46c38494.png

If you guys have any feedback, I am open to suggestions.  I was thinking of adding a stand to the back case but I may be getting ahead of myself.  lol Wife says that I should probably finish this concept first and then get fancy lol

• Like 11
7 hours ago, goodman_j said:

If you guys have any feedback, I am open to suggestions.  I was thinking of adding a stand to the back case but I may be getting ahead of myself.  lol Wife says that I should probably finish this concept first and then get fancy lol

You are doing an awesome job!

A suggestion for the cut-outs: Round/smooth the edges a bit, When I look at the lower corners of the usb-cut out, it looks like something that could easily get caught in fabric, of say a pocket. So especially this could be an issue for the cut-outs on the long edge. And in particular slanted edges are needed for the fingerprint reader, for accessing the reader with the finger 'in line' and not 'perpendicular' to the device (e.g. when opened).

It might be the resolution of the images but I do not spot holes for the speakers. Can those be done in the printing process, or would they need to be drilled afterwards?

15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

A suggestion for the cut-outs: Round/smooth the edges a bit, When I look at the lower corners of the usb-cut out, it looks like something that could easily get caught in fabric, of say a pocket. So especially this could be an issue for the cut-outs on the long edge. And in particular slanted edges are needed for the fingerprint reader, for accessing the reader with the finger 'in line' and not 'perpendicular' to the device (e.g. when opened).

Thank you for the feedback EskeRahn.  For the cut-outs they already have a 1 mm fillet to them.  So long as we have used them, my wife and I haven't had any snagging issues with them but I am more than happy to make a larger fillet to make it smoother.  We also don't utilize the fingerprint reader so we have that section covered on our cases but the version I am making for the general public will have that opened up.  I will attach pics when I get some prints in this weekend (or sooner if I can manage to do so.)

15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It might be the resolution of the images but I do not spot holes for the speakers. Can those be done in the printing process, or would they need to be drilled afterwards?

Your eyes do not deceive you friend.  I left out the speaker holes on ours because I felt that it was more aesthetically pleasing without.  We find that even without the speaker holes that with device is pretty loud.  I will print one out with speaker holes and let you guys decide if you would like with or without.

• Thanks 2

Hey Guys,

I didn't get to work on this at all this week.  I'm sorry.  The good news is that I ordered a batch of PCTPE.  This is a flexible rubber like material.  I'll see if my design will work with this material and if not I'll have to make a design for it.  That being said, I'll have a hard case and a soft case.  No guarantees for being able to work on it this week.  I have a lot on my plate work wise.

• Thanks 7