• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fx Service is an Android application notably enabling Pro1 smart case support. It also provides various solutions to common Pro1 problems or simply new features including: Smart case support:

Just released v0.8.0. Now it's not just useful it looks good too 😉  

Yes it should but some development is needed. I guess you would notably need to check if you are in a phone call to avoid locking the phone while calling for instance. It's usually straight for

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Slion said:

So I guess what you would need is easy access to:
Settings > System > Languages & input > Physical keyboard > Show virtual keyboard.

I could possibly add a Quick Settings Tile for it. I could also add an option to turn it on when in portrait and turn it off when in landscape so that you would hardly ever notice your issue anymore. Sounds like a simple enough fix but I can't tell if and when I will get around implementing that feature.

Thanks for suggesting that setting, however I just tested it and it doesn't fix the behaviour of my phone. What I would like is a way to override the keyboard sensor and set the keyboard position to open or closed.

2 hours ago, Slion said:

It took them 10 weeks to replace mine. I know it is annoying though taking advantage of the warranty before it expires is probably smart. I reckon they would just replace it.

Definitely a warranty issue, I intend to get it replaced at some point (thank you 2 year warranty), but can't really do without a phone at the moment. Not really keen on sending something from Australia to the UK (I assume) right now either. Hopefully advance replacement is an option?

2 hours ago, Slion said:

So it confirms that your keyboard sensor is malfunctioning?

Correct, your app shows keyboard changes when the sensor is working and no changes when the sensor is not.

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Maybe I don't understand you well regarding what you press towards what part and when it works - I think debug option is also works for you only when you apply a pressure.

Anyway, there is a small, cube-shaped magnet in the display part and the sensor is in the bottom part which is not moving.
You may try to open the keyboard and test the function using a magnet - so the magnet above the display may also be in wrong position.

You may find this magnet at top-left corner of the phone here (the silver one), so this gives the position where you may try the magnet at its bottom side. (so where it would be in closed position).

Locating the position of the Hall Effect sensor was one of the first things I did when I got the phone, haha. To clarify, the keyboard open/close sensor was functioning correctly when I received my phone in December 2019 and has only started malfunctioning recently, so I don't think the magnet is mounted incorrectly.

Testing the sensor with a magnet doesn't change the behaviour of the phone, unless I press down on a plugged in USB cable, which makes the sensor work. I've also been able to replicate the behaviour using a plastic pry tool, which suggests that this is not some kind of electrical issue. My guess is that the sensor or connector to the circuit board is a bit loose, which is why levering the USB port helps. I would open the phone up to check myself, but don't want to void the warranty.

Please find some video of my phone's problem to help with understanding:

• Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, SCΛRECROW said:

My guess is that the sensor or connector to the circuit board is a bit loose, which is why levering the USB port helps.

Yes, this (sadly) sounds like a plausible explanation.

However there also seems to be a substantiai gab between the two halves in the last ten seconds? That does not look right to me.

5 minutes ago, SCΛRECROW said:

What I would like is a way to override the keyboard sensor and set the keyboard position to open or closed.

I don't think I can do that.

What are your issues then?

• Backlight remains on
  • Virtual keyboard is not shown
  • Screen rotation remain in landscape
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes, this (sadly) sounds like a plausible explanation.

However there also seems to be a substantiai gab between the two halves in the last ten seconds? That does not look right to me.

Indeed. The large gap is my doing, so the camera has a good view of the keyboard backlight. This behaviour is persistent when the phone is in the fully closed position.

2 minutes ago, Slion said:

I don't think I can do that.

What are your issues then?

• Backlight remains on
  • Virtual keyboard is not shown
  • Screen rotation remain in landscape

Ah, no worries then, any suggestions where I could look if I were to develop a solution for myself?

You've pretty much summed up my problems, the most annoying one being the display locked in landscape. Backlight remaining on doesn't bother me so much.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SCΛRECROW said:

the most annoying one being the display locked in landscape

Is there no settings in LOS to disable switch to landscape when keyboard is open?
Fx Service does have a bunch of rotation override options too. Have you tried your luck with those?

Edited by Slion
10 hours ago, Slion said:

Is there no settings in LOS to disable switch to landscape when keyboard is open?
Fx Service does have a bunch of rotation override options too. Have you tried your luck with those?

No settings in LOS as far as I can see unfortunately.
Have tried various permutations of rotation options in the app to no avail.

Might reach out to @tdm to see if he has any ideas.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SCΛRECROW said:

No settings in LOS as far as I can see unfortunately.
Have tried various permutations of rotation options in the app to no avail.

Might reach out to @tdm to see if he has any ideas.

I never really looked into it.  But how much of a demand is there for such a setting?  That is, how often do people have the keyboard out and use the device in portrait mode?  Seems to me that it would be rather unusual.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tdm said:

I never really looked into it.  But how much of a demand is there for such a setting?  That is, how often do people have the keyboard out and use the device in portrait mode?  Seems to me that it would be rather unusual.

I've grabbed Pro1 in portrait-keyboard mode before to briefly deal with apps that don't play nice with landscape when the keyboard was already open.

On a semi-related note i've used my laptop on it's side to watch dumb portrait video, read PDFs or simply when laying on my side before, the keyboard just acting as a support to stand it up in that mode. I'm sure other people grow odd habits like that too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, netman said:

I've grabbed Pro1 in portrait-keyboard mode before to briefly deal with apps that don't play nice with landscape when the keyboard was already open.

On a semi-related note i've used my laptop on it's side to watch dumb portrait video, read PDFs or simply when laying on my side before, the keyboard just acting as a support to stand it up in that mode. I'm sure other people grow odd habits like that too.

My favorite use-case here (and it works perfectly without any special settings) is I usually turn my Pro1 to portrait with the keyboard out to read Kindle books.  The keyboard acts as a very comfortable handle to hold the device and the kindle app spins about to portrait so I get more text on the screen.  A great way to read and not get tired of holding the Pro1 so much. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, tdm said:

But how much of a demand is there for such a setting?

At least one guy with a broken sensor 🙂
I think it's about enabling customisation really.

@SCΛRECROW Did you try other rotation apps to see if they can help you?

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tdm said:

That's a good point, I suppose demand for this feature is low. I was more wondering if there was something existing in LOS.

1 hour ago, Slion said:

At least one guy with a broken sensor 🙂
I think it's about enabling customisation really.

@SCΛRECROW Did you try other rotation apps to see if they can help you?

Coincidentally, I just sat down to test some apps and found that Rotation Control by CrapeMyrtle worked, but I have to set it to use "guard mode". This will work until I get my phone warrantied.

EDIT: Seems to cause increased display latency when active.

DSC01050.jpg.aea6a31625eb8eb1ee51b0603c05bc24.jpg

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions and information.

Edited by SCΛRECROW
More info...
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm working on a new feature that's forcing apps to landscape when the keyboard is opened.
It seems to be working well enough in the few apps I tested it with:

• Microsoft Teams
  • Reddit
  • Facebook status update
  • Sonos

I'm guessing that could potentially crash some apps but I have not come across such a case yet. Very little testing done though.

Edited by Slion

For what it's worth, the only hardware issue I had was with the USB-C cable. Bought a new one and it's all good. 

After several months of usage I'm still enjoying the phone. The new pro x looks like they took my suggestions of a bezel around the edges and adjusting the keyboard for f and j keys fall naturally on my thumbs (hope this is the case). 

The pro 1's experience was a 7/10 for me. Just a lot of customization that needed to be done to get it to a point I'm happy with. 

Edited by D1ggs
  • Haha 2

Just published release v1.0.1 which adds an option to force apps in landscape when you open the keyboard.

I've been contemplating that feature for some times for apps such as Reddit, Sonos or Facebook. Now when I realised even Microsoft Teams would not let me use my keyboard in peace I decided I could not take it anymore. Looking forward to make good use of it.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

Just published release v1.0.1 which adds an option to force apps in landscape when you open the keyboard.

I've been contemplating that feature for some times for apps such as Reddit, Sonos or Facebook. Now when I realised even Microsoft Teams would not let me use my keyboard in peace I decided I could not take it anymore. Looking forward to make good use of it.   

Idea: Add a 'whitelist' of apps that you do NOT force to landscape, so people can exempt apps that do not behave well when forced.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Idea: Add a 'whitelist' of apps that you do NOT force to landscape, so people can exempt apps that do not behave well when forced.

Yes that would be nice to have, though I guess I would do a blocklist list instead. Until then just avoiding the use of those misbehaving apps while the keyboard is open should do. Google weather activity for instance just shows a white screen once forced to landscape.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, benhbell said:

Is this expected behavior?

Force landscape rotation can be funny at times.
Though I've never seen that on stock, never tries instagram however.
I also never tried Fx Service on anything other than stock.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, Slion said:

Force landscape rotation can be funny at times.
Though I've never seen that on stock, never tries instagram however.
I also never tried Fx Service on anything other than stock.

Well happy to report, the rotation feature works nearly the same on LOS as it does on stock. I LOVE the haptic keyboard feedback. That elevates this device for sure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benhbell said:

LOVE the haptic keyboard feedback

Me too, I had to implement it after my left control key became squishy, I never looked back. Can't even tell if Ctrl is broken anymore, I push it, I get feedback, I keep on typing.

Did you register on slions.net a couple of days ago? Did you do anything with your registration? Any chance you could give me five starts reviews on Fx Service and Fulguris, providing that it works at all 😁

I'm thinking I'll create a new sub forum for Fulguris as the app is slowly picking pace on Google Play.

10 hours ago, pebert said:

How do I download this? I get a .bin file from the download link on your web page. 

Is this software only for stock android? Or does it work on other ROMs as well? I'm running AICP at the moment.

Br

Per

Should be an APK, what are you using to download it? Try rename the bin to apk and see what you get.

17 hours ago, Slion said:

Should be an APK, what are you using to download it? Try rename the bin to apk and see what you get.

When using Chrome, nothing happens when clicking the link, duckduckgo gets the .bin file. 

Will try renaming it