New OTA update, stamped 2020-03-06 [UPDATED]

1 hour ago, rkjnsn said:

I updated my device today. I've never rooted or unlocked the bootloader. The Play Store says "Device is certified" under Play Protect certification, and I can see Netflix (which is already installed) if I search the Play Store. I tried running a SafetyNet checker, but it had reached its API quota.

Good extra data points.  Is there anyone who is not rooted and who installed the OTA through the normal OTA process (not by downloading the file and installing it from the SD card), and who is not passing SafetyNet now?  Now that I think about it, I guess I'm not sure I know who was running what.  Let's see if we can fill in the blanks:

- Unlocked, rooted, updated via the normal OTA process = failed safetynet

- Never unlocked, never rooted, updated via the normal OTA process = passes safetynet

- But does everyone pass safetynet who matches this?

- Unlocked, relocked, never rooted, updated by installing the OTA zip file = failed safetynet

- I'm guessing at some of these variables for you, @EskeRahn, please correct.

- Never unlocked, never rooted, updated via the OTA zip = ??

The other thing is that some people had the install reboot part way through the process, automatically.  Maybe that somehow didn't allow everything to complete as it should?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are very sorry for the issues caused.    After some investigation we have found the reason, it was due to the upgrade of security patch to October which needs to be approved from the auth

UPDATED: Hi everyone, there is a new OTA update stamped 2020-03-06, offered. This REPLACES the OTA stamped 2020-03-04, that proved to have an error with Safetynet.   IF you already

THE OTA have been Temporarily suspended, as it had a bug  breaking the "SafetyNet", fix should be on it's way quickly.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, DieBruine said:

This update completely f's MAME4DROID

I just played a game of TGM2 on MAME4droid and had no issues. Try going into input and rebinding all your controls again. It might register as a new controller due to the driver change.

19 minutes ago, david said:

- Never unlocked, never rooted, updated via the OTA zip = ??

I belong to this category since I downloaded the OTA zip to internal storage and updated manually. My device can't pass SafetyNet (CTS Profile Match: Failed) and I can't find Netflix from the Play Store. However, Play Store tells me that my device is Play Protect -certified.

• Thanks 2

At the bottom of the failed result in the SafetyNet Evaluation app, it states:

This can be if:

This Certified device with unlocked bootloader

Genuine but uncertified device, such as when the manufacturer doesn't apply for certification

I believe it is listing those as 2 separate options.  Difficult to tell with the cryptic grammar.

Many of us had unlocked bootloaders before and that didn't cause us to fail SafetyNet.  Maybe something changed in google's end of things that makes that no longer acceptable to them?

Or...  With the second option, some sort of certification code/files wasn't handled right in the preparation of the latest OTA?  But that wouldn't account for @rkjnsn passing SafetyNet.  

I guess the question might be, what allows some makes/models of phones to have unlocked bootloaders and still pass SafetyNet and other phones to not pass SafetyNet?  I have 2 Pixel 4 XL phones in my household where I unlocked the bootloader immediately, since doing so wipes the /data partition, so that I would be ready for installing a custom recovery later on without losing /data at that future point in time.  They both fail SafetyNet and I had to install Netflix and Disney+ from APKs from sources other than the Play Store.  Yet, my Pro1 has had an unlocked bootloader for several week and hasn't had any issues.  I just installed Disney+ on the Pro1 last week, from the Play Store, without any issue.

It could be, in my case, that it was having Magisk, not just being unlocked, that is now failing.  Magisk hide might have worked before whatever security update google included in this OTA.

Edited by david
4 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

I belong to this category since I downloaded the OTA zip to internal storage and updated manually. My device can't pass SafetyNet (CTS Profile Match: Failed) and I can't find Netflix from the Play Store. However, Play Store tells me that my device is Play Protect -certified.

So you were in a newer batch of phones where the bootloader was locked when you got it?

Just now, david said:

So you were in a newer batch of phones where the bootloader was locked when you got it?

Yes, I got my device in January and I believe that it was locked when I received it. I haven't seen bootloader unlocked notification during boot.

16 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Yes, I got my device in January and I believe that it was locked when I received it. I haven't seen bootloader unlocked notification during boot.

There is no such notification on boot when unlocked, but you can see it in the bootloader (the thing that comes if you hold voldn+power / adb reboot bootloader).

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, netman said:

There is no such notification on boot when unlocked, but you can see it in the bootloader (the thing that comes if you hold voldn+power / adb reboot bootloader).

Every other phone that I have owned informs during boot if bootloader is unlocked. I think that is a security thing in Android. I booted my phone and checked from FastBoot Mode that device state is "locked" and secure boot "no".

• Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

That is when I got mine too.  It was locked and I unlocked it.

I don't get that notification on the Pro1 either.  The Pixel 4 XL phones in my household do have that notification during boot.  You can compare with @EskeRahn's checks here:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2849-new-ota-update-stamped-2020-03-04/?do=findComment&comment=46436

I just tried a number of things to see if it would get around the issue on my Pro1 (after disabling the Magisk SafetyPatch module).

- Disabled Magisk Hide and re-enabled it.  Both without and with a reboot.

- Checked all items for Google Play services, Google Play Store, and Google Services Framework for Magisk Hide.  Before today, I only had "com.google.android.gms.unstable" marked for Magisk Hide.

- Turned off USB Debugging and rebooted.

- Cleared cache and data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services, without and with reboot.

1 minute ago, FlyingAntero said:

Every other phone that I have owned informs during boot if bootloader is unlocked. I think that is a security thing in Android. I booted my phone and checked from FastBoot Mode that device state is "locked" and secure boot "no".

So now if we can get @rkjnsn to check their bootloader screen to see if secure boot states yes or no, that might help narrow it down.  We might all have secure boot "no" no matter what, but if their's has "yes", then that could be the difference here.

The boot loader is qcom code. The OEM modifies it for the device: display initialization, button access, things like that. I don't know offhand if the unlocked warning is defaulted to on or not, but they certainly could have disabled it in any case.

All devices have Secure Boot off and always have. This is not really related to the boot loader lock.

• Thanks 2

On a possible related note, can someone else see if their backup to google drive has been affected by this OTA?  I could have messed it up with deleting data and cache from some of the google apps and other things I did.  I noticed that even though I had "Back up to Google Drive" enabled and an account configured, the "Back up now" button was disabled and it said something about waiting to backup.  It *might* have been that it had been too recent since the last backup was done too.

Either way, I forced it through some ADB commands and the button came back, but I was just curious if anyone else sees the same issue with the button being grayed out in the backup screen.

EDIT2: It looks like that I mixed decimal and binary, see @david post.

I checked from Twitter that manually downloaded OTA update has different size than normal OTA update. The OTA zip file is 73,14 MB but if you downloaded it normally it is 69,8 MB. Also, manually downloaded OTA zip file is named as "update-20200304204235-20200106110451.zip" compared to the "QX1000_EEA_20200304204235_20200304-2044" what is shown in system updates settings. So, is there some differences?

https://twitter.com/JH174941/status/1235746109735063554

EDIT:

image.thumb.png.522510f8c9c30167778f2a71b8bbf1a0.png

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

I checked from Twitter that manually downloaded OTA update has different size than normal OTA update. The OTA zip file is 73,14 MB but if you downloaded it normally it is 69,8 MB. Also, manually downloaded OTA zip file is named as "update-20200304204235-20200106110451.zip" compared to the "QX1000_EEA_20200304204235_20200304-2044" what is shown in system updates settings. So, is there some differences?

https://twitter.com/JH174941/status/1235746109735063554

Good find.  

I can't access that twitter link.  What is it?  It just spins for me.

3 minutes ago, david said:

Good find.  

I can't access that twitter link.  What is it?  It just spins for me.

There is a screenshot of the update window which shows the size of the OTA update. I added the picture to my previous message.

1 minute ago, dreamflasher said:

OTA didn't work for me. It showed there is an update, when clicking on the notification nothing happened and now the updater says there is no update, while being on the old version 😞

If you can't see it anymore after clearing cache and reboot then maybe F(x)tec took it off?

4 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

There is a screenshot of the update window which shows the size of the OTA update. I added the picture to my previous message.

I think this might just be a matter of measuring MB as a power of 10 versus a power of 2.

image.png.02c764fac861ab4579fe21e4f180ec7e.png

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Shame I already installed it! 😄

Safety third! I guess it's worth noting those who want the update ASAP anyway and didn't catch it can probably already install with the zip linked in the first post here 🙂.

20 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Wish I could try.

Wireless update keeps on crashing when I press settings. Cleared cache and storage, force stop and rboot. Doesn't help. So, I'll wait for the OTA ☹️.

Edit:
Removed sims, enabled Flight mode and cleared cache and storage on both wireless update processes.
Install succeeded.

Edit2:

This update completely f's MAME4DROID
Input works for like 1ms. So totally unusable for M4D. Maybe try another emulator.

Speaking about Mame4Droid, I didn't updated the latest OTA but for me there was always problem with inputs in this emulator. Everytime I've mapped keys, next time after reboot keys have different numbers, for example: before reboot: 5:SPACE, after reboot 6:SPACE for the very same button. Do you also have issue of this kind?

PS I'm afraid there is no good alternative fo Mame4Droid... 😞

2 hours ago, netman said:

Safety third! I guess it's worth noting those who want the update ASAP anyway and didn't catch it can probably already install with the zip linked in the first post here 🙂.

Actually, I am wondering about this. I got the update OTA, and it broke Google Pay. When the new one is pushed, will it be identified as new in the Software Update system? Or will I need to download it manually as a ZIP and apply it myself?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, lzb said:

Actually, I am wondering about this. I got the update OTA, and it broke Google Pay. When the new one is pushed, will it be identified as new in the Software Update system? Or will I need to download it manually as a ZIP and apply it myself?

Good question, I have some hope that the update thing is smart enough but have no idea 😄

• Like 1

I have installed this OTA before it was suspended.

Now I have tried a test Youtube video and left / right speakers are in appropriate positions

However, in loudspeaker mode, it still uses bottom speaker near microphone which I think should be also changed to top one.
So still there is a bug somewhere at audio routing I think.
It also uses bottom speaker in handsfree mode of Linphone, so it may be also a setting somewhere which is not related directly to drive left and right speakers in normal audio playback.

Maybe @Erik or @Waxberry knows who can solve it.