PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

3 hours ago, tdm said:

Well, if fast poll does not help, I am wondering if there is some sort of hardware issue. The only two things I can think to try are:

(1) making the keyboard poll code into a thread that runs at high priority. This would be fairly easy but I doubt it would change much.

(2) not using polling at all. This would severely limit the ability to detect certain key combinations, like the bad old original stock keyboard driver. I don't think you or anyone else would want that.

Regarding the log size, I can make it larger but I think it would need to be in /proc. I think files in /sys are limited to 4kb in size.

I can assure you two others have the same issue. And I'm betting a third, but she hasn't received nor used her phone yet. And I am talking about brand new phones. I will flash stock sometime this week. Pretty sure I never had this issue on stock.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Hook said:

Sideloaded (as I always do) the 07 SEP update.  Went very smoothly.  Don't think there is anything new except the  05 SEP security patch from Google. However, no hiccups.

Are you sure It is the "Andriod security patch level" and not the "Vendor security patch level"? Here the first says Aug 5, and the second Sep 5 (as it was last week too).

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Are you sure It is the "Andriod security patch level" and not the "Vendor security patch level"? Here the first says Aug 5, and the second Sep 5 (as it was last week too).

Sorry, yes, you are right.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, DieBruine said:

I can assure you two others have the same issue. And I'm betting a third, but she hasn't received nor used her phone yet. And I am talking about brand new phones. I will flash stock sometime this week. Pretty sure I never had this issue on stock.

Stock has had two keyboard drivers.

The original one that IdeaLTE wrote does not do polling at all, it is entirely interrupt based.  As a result, it cannot detect many two-key combinations.  A lot of people noticed this and the driver was disliked by many people.

@netman rewrote the keyboard driver to use polling.  This is the current stock driver and this is the code that I started with to write the Lineage driver.  It polls at 15ms.  My driver defaults to 40ms, but the fast poll option in settings changes it to 20ms.

So... I am not understanding how the stock keyboard driver could possibly have ever behaved better than the Lineage keyboard driver.  They should be more or less equivalent in regards to detecting key presses, especially with the fast poll option enabled.  But please do try it and let me know your experience.  It is possible there is something different that I am not noticing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

So... I am not understanding how the stock keyboard driver could possibly have ever behaved better than the Lineage keyboard driver.  They should be more or less equivalent in regards to detecting key presses, especially with the fast poll option enabled.  But please do try it and let me know your experience.  It is possible there is something different that I am not noticing.

One thing I did differently is I go over the matrix twice, because my anti-ghosting is somewhat naive in that it gets confused if the state of the matrix changes during the scan (so i re-scan to be sure that's not possible). It's probably possible to do this in one go when you do the anti-ghosting better and I believe the way you approached it should work from reading the code, however I haven't tested it. So I don't think it's relevant but since we are possibly looking for a difference between the drivers i figured it's worth mentioning.

• Thanks 4
On 9/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, tdm said:

But please do try it and let me know your experience.  It is possible there is something different that I am not noticing.

This will probably have to wait until Thursday. I have had this phone since January. This issue started right after flasing LoS. I checked the topic. Nonetheless I will flash back to stock. I assume FxTec also prefers it in that state when I send it back.

Edit1:
I couldn't wait, just went back to stock, now booting...
Edit2:
Wow, took mo over an hour to install all the updates 😕
Edit3:
@tdm 24 hours later, not one issue with the keyboard! I can type all I want as fast as I can, no issues with input or the annoying character-pop-up. Flashed to stock, restored 109 apps and made sure all the apps are running as under LoS. 

Edited by DieBruine

Already feeling myself an annoying noob to even ask, but I have been using the first official since it was published. The reason I haven't updated is that I have everything working. Everything refers to Magisk stuff mostly. I know that if I sideload the update, I have to flash and configure Magisk manually after that. But does the OTA update also overwrite those parts of the system? 

Another question: Is there any necessary stuff changed since the first official? I tried to search through the changelogs, but most of it went outside of my knowledge. So has the OS became better? Mostly speaking about how it works on the Pro1, not the general stuff.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

Already feeling myself an annoying noob to even ask, but I have been using the first official since it was published. The reason I haven't updated is that I have everything working. Everything refers to Magisk stuff mostly. I know that if I sideload the update, I have to flash and configure Magisk manually after that. But does the OTA update also overwrite those parts of the system? 

Another question: Is there any necessary stuff changed since the first official? I tried to search through the changelogs, but most of it went outside of my knowledge. So has the OS became better? Mostly speaking about how it works on the Pro1, not the general stuff.

Pie is old, very few actual changes are being done to affect functionality. If a build works for you, do not feel any need to update to a newer version. Except maybe for security updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have typed so much my thumbs hurt. Not one single hick up, lag nor pop-up. A shame really, LoS is beautiful, just not working for me. Guess I'll be flashing three others back to stock.

I am curious though, isn't anyone else experiencing these mayor-pain-in-the-butt keyboard issues under LoS!? We are a family of four with totally different lifestyles and apps. Yet all four experience so many errors that typing under LoS is unbearable.

1 hour ago, DieBruine said:

I have typed so much my thumbs hurt. Not one single hick up, lag nor pop-up. A shame really, LoS is beautiful, just not working for me. Guess I'll be flashing three others back to stock.

I am curious though, isn't anyone else experiencing these mayor-pain-in-the-butt keyboard issues under LoS!? We are a family of four with totally different lifestyles and apps. Yet all four experience so many errors that typing under LoS is unbearable.

Nope.  No problems here at all.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DieBruine said:

I am not sure what you mean with those issues, but yes I do have some. Although Ihad those already on stock, so nothing really changed when I switched to first usable testing version of LOS. Haven't tried stock since then. But sometimes, when I type fast, the keyboard lags a bit and drops some letters off. Also sometimes it produces some random characters inside a word. Sometimes the cursor jumps randomly somewhere. Sometimes it switches Caps lock on when I don't press any button even near to caps. And yes, sometimes I got the pop up caused by long press, which I obviously didn't press. But all in all, all of these issues are quite rare on my device, so I wouldn't call the typing unbearable.

• Like 2

Yeah, same here: Usually I can type fine, but more or less every other sentence has a dropped character. Sometimes I get a lot of chars that I didn't press, but this is usually over pretty quickly and not that often. So I can not say that I'm super annoyed by this, but it is distracting at times. I am able to type without looking at the keys by now, so its not too bad.

So yes, I see this, but this would never make me switch back to stock 😉

I have fast polling enabled and no hangouts installed.

52 minutes ago, dicer said:

So yes, I see this, but this would never make me switch back to stock 😉

I have fast polling enabled and no hangouts installed.

Same for me. I'have more issues with connectivity, wifi and mobile data...it's really not very good.

Wifi is flickering, and mobile data not very good but this could be an mobile operator problem either.

I tried different bakgrounds and now my pull-down menu and settings has black background instead of white. Went back to default background and its still black everywhere. How can i get back my white backgrounds on apps and pull-down menu?

What did i miss? Can't find anything inthe settings to get it back 🙁

So for connectivity issues, I have seen this :

[  713.647296] init: Untracked pid 6398 exited with status 0
[  767.149100] HTB: quantum of class 10010 is big. Consider r2q change.                                  

[  790.386495] rmt_storage:INFO:rmt_storage_rw_iovec_cb: Write iovec request received for /boot/modem_fs1 [  790.387500] rmt_storage:INFO:rmt_storage_client_thread: Calling Write [offset=0, size=2097152]for /boot/modem_fs1!                                                                                              

[  790.481607] rmt_storage:INFO:rmt_storage_client_thread: Done Write (bytes = 2097152) for /boot/modem_fs1!
[  800.592865] HTB: quantum of class 10010 is big. Consider r2q change.                                  

[  817.960276] R0: [wpa_supplicant][45689701795] [12:13:43.378902]  wlan: [6361:E :QDF] cds_current_connections_update: 7204: driver isn't dbs capable, no further action needed

I'm a noob but I suspect problem is not so worse, as it's not always happen.

Sorry I'm just trying making things getting better, maybe it does help...or not 😄

1 hour ago, raymo said:

Wifi is flickering,

Could you perhaps try a different router? Or forcing it to 2.4GHz only temporarily.

I had rather poor stamina when using a Huawei B525 on 5GHz but more than five times(!) better using the successor Huawei B535. But note that 2.4GHz worked fine on the old one too. So perhaps the Pro1 is a bit picky on what router we use...

(I tried both a B335-232 and a B535-235 and they work equally well - the difference is VoIP)

• Like 1

All issues for the radio (cell modem) are going to be exactly the same as stock.  All of the radio code is closed source.

WiFi is mostly open source, but I have taken the stock qcom code for this with no changes.  So it should be pretty much the same as stock.  There may be some differences in the wifi configuration file that affect performance.  I haven't looked at that in a while.

As for the keyboard, I really am at a loss to say why @DieBruine is having so many problems while others are not.  I suppose I could make a Lineage kernel with the stock keyboard driver to test.  That would tell us if the issues are in the driver itself or somewhere else.  But it is quite a bit of work.  I'll try to fit that in next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
11 minutes ago, raymo said:

@EskeRahnhmm...difficult to force the router in 2,4, it's not mine. Or maybe you want to say to force the pro1 in 2,4Ghz ? How can I do that ?

I was thinking the router. If the router has a few years it offers independent networks for 5GHz and 2.4GHz with different names. Newer routers can offer both under one name.

4 hours ago, tdm said:

As for the keyboard, I really am at a loss to say why @DieBruine is having so many problems while others are not.  I suppose I could make a Lineage kernel with the stock keyboard driver to test.  That would tell us if the issues are in the driver itself or somewhere else.  But it is quite a bit of work.  I'll try to fit that in next week.

Is there a chans you gonna look at a finnish/swedish keyboard layout also? Make a same layout like finqwerty has for qwertz?

thanks for your good work.

51 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Is there a chans you gonna look at a finnish/swedish keyboard layout also? Make a same layout like finqwerty has for qwertz?

thanks for your good work.

Yes but I'll need help from you to describe what keys should be mapped.

• EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion