How intrusive are the curved screen accidental presses?

Hey there Pro1 community,

{intro; you can scroll down to the last paragraph if you just want the question}
I've been following this phone since august last year, and have been on the fence of ordering it ever since.
I used to own a nokia E7 and to this day this was still my all-time favourite phone.
For some reason I've never been able to adapt to the virtual keyboards, and typing messages on them has been a daily frustration ever since my nokia E7 died many years ago. (to the point of ignoring messages until I get to a computer where I can batch reply everyone on a physical keyboard)

Needless to say I'm extremely excited about the similar setup of the pro1, and now that my current phone started giving me signs that it wants to retire soon even more so, but while researching whether this phone is worth its price, I keep stumbling on the accidental touches because of the curved screen issue and video's never tend to fully show exactly what this issue entails.
Which brings me to my question; just how frustrating is this issue, and how does it play out? I've heard of an app named "edgenull" which you can set to 58px to possibly counter this issue, but I'd love to hear owner's thoughts about it, and if you think it's a dealbreaker and I'm better of holding off until they come up with a new version.

Thanks a lot in advance

• Like 1

First of remedies for the issue exists. For the LineageOS it is build in, for stock Android a third party app. Disabling the touch sensitivity of the outermost pixels. Very few android apps use extra slim scrollbars, that works less than optimal when the outermost pixel are not active.

To the question on how annoying the issue is, the answer is a little more complex. The first weeks I used the Pro1 it annoyed me while picking it up, slowly I adapted to handling it differently. Then I modified a Huawei P20 Pro flipcase for it, for protection. and since the problem has vanished completely.

So in a short version:
* With a case: no problem.
* Without a case: Try software workarouond, or it might require some time getting used to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was scared about that one too when I read the forum. As recommended by the community I used the app app edge null. I set border with portrait to 23 and border with landscape to 21. With that I had zero accidental touch on android stock from the beginning (and I do not use a case). I also activated the features to "detect edged swipes" which means you can  still use the edges when you do a swipe move.  I still manage to use the margin to scroll through contacts, applists. Not an issue for me.

Edited by OKSun
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, OKSun said:

I still manage to use the margin to scroll through contacts, applists. Not an issue for me.

It matters what "display size" (and perhaps "font size"?) that has been selected too, if the elements are small, the scrollbar on the apps-list can get too narrow to activate. You can still swipe throuh the apps so not a huge thing in that app. But could be in other apps. But I think it is safe to categorise as a rare issue, that will affect few users only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm with the majority here.  Not that hard to adapt to, non-existent  with Edge Null on Stock or with a setting on Lineage OS (which I am using).

Unlike the majority, I don't like cases and will never have one.  😉

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak for the solutions others have been using, but accidental presses have not been an issue for me using my Tasker profile for edge blocking.
Not sure about the scroll bar issue. I never really use them, but after checking they're fine in my setup (small font, default element size), but problematic when element size is set to small. No case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had problems on stock at first but got used to it.  I've swapped to lineage now and enabled the in-built support and no issues at all. 

The only thing I do get an issue with is the settings cog in landscape mode it goes into the area which its turned off but ofc I just swap to portrait and access its not like I'm in settings all the time!

• Thanks 2

It's a minor nuisance. The number row of the physical keyboard is very tight to the screen, really the one substantial criticism I have of it. With the keyboard closed, keeping your fingers away from the screen require a precarious basketball-palming grip on the frictionless device, which can be harrowing. I despise curved screens anyway, but so far, have managed to live with it without feeling the need to download a solution.

• Thanks 2
On 9/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, ermghoti said:

The number row of the physical keyboard is very tight to the screen,

Good point, it takes some getting used to to avoid touching the screen edge while using the keyboard's number row. My solution is to make sure my nails are long enough 🤣

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Slion said:

Good point, it takes some getting used to to avoid touching the screen edge while using the keyboard's number row. My solution is to make sure my nails are long enough 🤣

My nails are chewed halfway to the quick, and have been for almost five decades. No dice.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

My nails are chewed halfway to the quick, and have been for almost five decades. No dice.

Me too.  Both @elvissteinjr Tasker scripts and Null Edge (I preferred the former) worked well on stock for me, while the setting on Lineage makes them unnecessary.  

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

What case are you using that helps with the screen edge?

It's 2 cases in one actually, got a modified Huawei P20 Pro silicone inside a Dux Ducis flip case. The case adds enough (but not intrusive) widht so my fingers only touch the edge of the silicone when holding it.

You can check my post of it for pic reference:

Edit: Also disregard the case not closing properly, that got solved over time and now it closes nicely. The material expanded just enough for it as I kept it in my pockets closed a lot.

Edit 2: I like it because when we get a proper silicone I can just swap it inside. (sadly that still did not happen yet xD)

Edited by Tsunero
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, zurvan2 said:

What case are you using that helps with the screen edge?

I am also using a black P20 Pro case which I have modified for the Pro1's holes and I am convinced.

Edge touching is much better I think, but keyboard opening is a bit harder.
However, I can open it easily by lifting its back up first.

I wanted to have some protection because a phone with real keyboard is very important for me...

• Like 2

Interesting. I'm also using a silicone case like that from a P20 Pro, but not the flip case, and it I don't find that it helps much with screen edges.

I really wish we had something similar for the top part of the phone. *That* might help with screen edges, and would protect the phone more.

• 3 months later...

The curved screen is the main thing I don't like about the Pro1/X and the second one are the rounded corners but I backed Pro1-X anyway because there may not be a powerful device supported by UT anytime soon and I like the color 😄

So what are the actual benefits of having the curved screens on phones? To me it seems to just cause unnecessary usability issues. The curved screens, rounded corners and notches are the things I hate on phones nowadays 😆

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, Kugi said:

So what are the actual benefits of having the curved screens on phones?

The main pro IMHO is that they are available cheaper, despite more complex, due to them being produced in larger volumes.

If you ask how on earth this silly trend started, then I guess the pros and cons are the same(!) That is the ability to interact with the screen to its very edges.
The pro of that depends of the apps&OS, the con obviously the risk of unintended interaction handling the device.
And physically that it is harder to protect and thus at a higher risk of breaking, a clear con for the user, but a pro for those that want to sell us a new device....

Accidental touches aren't that annoying to me. I just hold the phone a bit different while keyboard is closed, not difficult since it's thick, and while open, my fingers wouldn't be on the edges anyway.

I don't use edge null since status and navigation bars are hidden system wide and I toggle the by swiping on the screen edges.

Edited by Rud
  • Thanks 1