What's The Current State of Updates?

• 4 months later...

Hi, Pro1 experts, I need your help.

I encountered an issue for OTA update.

I have stock Pro1 (no rooted), and could get some OTA updates to 20200707 (20200707225313_20200707-2254) smoothly.
However, I cannot get latest 20200825 update even when I manually checked.
It always says "Your software is up to date".
# System update's "setup" also does not work (just white blank screen appeared), I remembered it works just once after updated to 20200707.
I did "factory reset" but nothing changed ( I just lost my data ... ).

There are some issues remained with 20200707 (e.g. unexpected reboot, unstable camera start form standby), and I strongly want to attach 20200825 update.

Does anyone know:
- What is the cause of the issue ?
- How to "forcefully" get&attach 20200825 update ? 
- Is it possible to attach 20200825 OTA update from SD card (without erasing user data) ?

Thanks in advance!

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 AM, fuku said:

Hi, Pro1 experts, I need your help.

I encountered an issue for OTA update.

I have stock Pro1 (no rooted), and could get some OTA updates to 20200707 (20200707225313_20200707-2254) smoothly.
However, I cannot get latest 20200825 update even when I manually checked.
It always says "Your software is up to date".
# System update's "setup" also does not work (just white blank screen appeared), I remembered it works just once after updated to 20200707.
I did "factory reset" but nothing changed ( I just lost my data ... ).

There are some issues remained with 20200707 (e.g. unexpected reboot, unstable camera start form standby), and I strongly want to attach 20200825 update.

Does anyone know:
- What is the cause of the issue ?
- How to "forcefully" get&attach 20200825 update ? 
- Is it possible to attach 20200825 OTA update from SD card (without erasing user data) ?

Thanks in advance!

Are you connected through a VPN at all?

I'm using Blokada v5 and was having similar issues, which meant I had to disable Blokada to check for updates.
After some poking about I found out that Blokada was blocking the Adups service, once I whitelisted this in Blokada I can now check for updates without switching off the VPN.

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Tsunero said:

Stock is in a super bad state sadly.

At this point I've given up hope we will see anything beyond P. I saw a theory around here given the 1X is switching SoC, they won't push anything for us 835ers and focus just on that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

At this point I've given up hope we will see anything beyond P. I saw a theory around here given the 1X is switching SoC, they won't push anything for us 835ers and focus just on that.

I'm in the same boat. Given up hope for an update, and will be pleasantly surprised if it arrives after all.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm in the same boat. Given up hope for an update, and will be pleasantly surprised if it arrives after all.

Same for me.

I have decided to go for Lineage OS instead of resetting stock one when I have time and mood for doing that...

• Like 1

I asked. They answered.

"The existing Pro1 will not lose it's support from us for Android or the LineageOS, Linux communities anytime soon. Although the Pro1 X has a slight advantage - it's still updated by the SoC maker Qualcomm."
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sequestris said:

I asked. They answered.

"The existing Pro1 will not lose it's support from us for Android or the LineageOS, Linux communities anytime soon. Although the Pro1 X has a slight advantage - it's still updated by the SoC maker Qualcomm."

Thanks. Not to be sarcastic, but I do wonder what they mean by "support" when it has been almost nine months without bugfixes, and the security updates are over a year behind... But I guess I'm just impatient.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

We do know they had plans for an Android 10 upgrade before the SoC changed. My guess would that they just won't have the resources to do that now, but you never know, the very existence of our Pro1 proves FxTec is very resourceful indeed.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

We do know they had plans for an Android 10 upgrade before the SoC changed. My guess would that they just won't have the resources to do that now, but you never know, the very existence of our Pro1 proves FxTec is very resourceful indeed.

Oh indeed. What we do not know is how much the swindle affected their plans for the original Pro1. Optimistically it could merely be a matter of prioritising getting the Pro1X ready and out on the streets first.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, sequestris said:

I asked. They answered.

Nice of you to ask them but uhhh..press x to doubt.

I am sure they could finish 10 because that is 100% supported afaik but anything beyond that I wouldn't count. So far everything seems to indicate us 835ers are SOL unless we dedicate a full day to moving to Lineage or some other variant.

• Like 2
On 5/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, MickH said:

Are you connected through a VPN at all?

I'm using Blokada v5 and was having similar issues, which meant I had to disable Blokada to check for updates.
After some poking about I found out that Blokada was blocking the Adups service, once I whitelisted this in Blokada I can now check for updates without switching off the VPN.

Thanks foe the info.
I tested with/without VPN for both Wifi and 4G, no change (always "up to date"), still seeking how to update to 0825 (without wipe).

Edited by fuku
MisPosted without reply...
  • Like 2
On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 AM, fuku said:

System update's "setup" also does not work (just white blank screen appeared)

If I remember correctly, I had the white blank screen problem before, and solved it by clearing storage for the update app in Android Settings.

• Thanks 1
On 5/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, fuku said:

Thanks foe the info.
I tested with/without VPN for both Wifi and 4G, no change (always "up to date"), still seeking how to update to 0825 (without wipe).

You could try to return to stock, but without "fastboot erase userdata". Since you are on stock, I see no reason why you need to erase userdata nor expect any issues. But, that is just an assumption.

2 hours ago, DieBruine said:

But, that is just an assumption.

....And we all know that assumptions are the mother of all fu.... 😂

But I hope you are right. Though I would definitely try the 'clearing-trick' described by @John Veness first, as we have seen this work earlier. 🙂

On 5/10/2021 at 10:33 AM, John Veness said:

If I remember correctly, I had the white blank screen problem before, and solved it by clearing storage for the update app in Android Settings.

Remember that there are TWO apps with the same name "Wireless Update", and that you have to click Ellipsis and "Show system" to have them included on the app list first.
I do not know which one is required, I would suggest to clear for both.

• Like 1

so i'm gonna copy this,,, and based on this, are we talking about our firmware or the android security updates?

But I remained concerned about the SD835 and it's upcoming EOL.
I wasn't all too sure the advertised two years of Android updates would cover SoC firmware updates as well. (Android updates =/= firmware updates)
Without firmware updates it doesn't really matter which OS you are running, since you become vulnerable at the lowest software-level. Exploiting firmware vulnerabilities can allow for total control over the device. And no OS update (not even a community-driven one) could ever fix this.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:40 AM, internationaltraitor said:

so i'm gonna copy this,,, and based on this, are we talking about our firmware or the android security updates?

From the article Qualcomm released the fixes back in December 2020, but still up to OEMs to push it. Samsung patched it as part of their May updates.

100% on FxTec here now, or should I say that company FxTec hired to (not) handle updates.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if I've been informed correctly, but I was told that manufacturers have a 2 year roadmap for updates.

I and many others may remember having a hell of a fight with Vodafone to get updates for various phones because they told us the phones had expired their life expectancy 😳 I used my N900 for over 7 years before I got a Jolla phone. Although now, Jolla have now ceased support for the Jolla 1 beyond V3 of Sailfish OS.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, EskeRahn said:

....And we all know that assumptions are the mother of all fu.... 😂

But I hope you are right. Though I would definitely try the 'clearing-trick' described by @John Veness first, as we have seen this work earlier. 🙂

Thanks, EskeRahn and John Veness, 
I entered Settings -> Apps -> See all ** apps -> (...) show system,  and cleared cache/storage for two "Wireless Update",  and reboot.
Yes, I could enter "settings" of system update just once after cleared chaches/storages, however, it went to white-blank screen again when entering twice...

And (unfortunately) it still says "your software is up to date" :- (

PS:
I also found "SD card update" option in settings page, it may be one hope before manual flash.
Dows anyone know how to get update package of 20200825 that can be used for "SD card update" ?
# I think "ext4_QX1000_user_20200825231445_dd49dd0dd1.7z" cannot be used for that purpose (i.e. different package style).

Best Regards; 

9 hours ago, fuku said:

Thanks, EskeRahn and John Veness, 
I entered Settings -> Apps -> See all ** apps -> (...) show system,  and cleared cache/storage for two "Wireless Update",  and reboot.
Yes, I could enter "settings" of system update just once after cleared chaches/storages, however, it went to white-blank screen again when entering twice...

And (unfortunately) it still says "your software is up to date" :- (

PS:
I also found "SD card update" option in settings page, it may be one hope before manual flash.
Dows anyone know how to get update package of 20200825 that can be used for "SD card update" ?
# I think "ext4_QX1000_user_20200825231445_dd49dd0dd1.7z" cannot be used for that purpose (i.e. different package style).

Best Regards; 

I have the original Rom to flash, like..

fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img 
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img 

...and so on.

Send me a pm, if you need it.

• Like 1