Jump to content

What's The Current State of Updates?


Recommended Posts

  • 4 months later...

Hi, Pro1 experts, I need your help.

I encountered an issue for OTA update.

I have stock Pro1 (no rooted), and could get some OTA updates to 20200707 (20200707225313_20200707-2254) smoothly.
However, I cannot get latest 20200825 update even when I manually checked.
It always says "Your software is up to date".
# System update's "setup" also does not work (just white blank screen appeared), I remembered it works just once after updated to 20200707.
I did "factory reset" but nothing changed ( I just lost my data ... ).

There are some issues remained with 20200707 (e.g. unexpected reboot, unstable camera start form standby), and I strongly want to attach 20200825 update.

Does anyone know:
- What is the cause of the issue ?
- How to "forcefully" get&attach 20200825 update ? 
- Is it possible to attach 20200825 OTA update from SD card (without erasing user data) ?
 

Thanks in advance!

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 3:59 AM, fuku said:

Hi, Pro1 experts, I need your help.

I encountered an issue for OTA update.

I have stock Pro1 (no rooted), and could get some OTA updates to 20200707 (20200707225313_20200707-2254) smoothly.
However, I cannot get latest 20200825 update even when I manually checked.
It always says "Your software is up to date".
# System update's "setup" also does not work (just white blank screen appeared), I remembered it works just once after updated to 20200707.
I did "factory reset" but nothing changed ( I just lost my data ... ).

There are some issues remained with 20200707 (e.g. unexpected reboot, unstable camera start form standby), and I strongly want to attach 20200825 update.

Does anyone know:
- What is the cause of the issue ?
- How to "forcefully" get&attach 20200825 update ? 
- Is it possible to attach 20200825 OTA update from SD card (without erasing user data) ?
 

Thanks in advance!

 

Are you connected through a VPN at all?

I'm using Blokada v5 and was having similar issues, which meant I had to disable Blokada to check for updates.
After some poking about I found out that Blokada was blocking the Adups service, once I whitelisted this in Blokada I can now check for updates without switching off the VPN.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Tsunero said:

Stock is in a super bad state sadly.

At this point I've given up hope we will see anything beyond P. I saw a theory around here given the 1X is switching SoC, they won't push anything for us 835ers and focus just on that.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

At this point I've given up hope we will see anything beyond P. I saw a theory around here given the 1X is switching SoC, they won't push anything for us 835ers and focus just on that.

I'm in the same boat. Given up hope for an update, and will be pleasantly surprised if it arrives after all.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm in the same boat. Given up hope for an update, and will be pleasantly surprised if it arrives after all.

Same for me.

I have decided to go for Lineage OS instead of resetting stock one when I have time and mood for doing that...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked. They answered.

"The existing Pro1 will not lose it's support from us for Android or the LineageOS, Linux communities anytime soon. Although the Pro1 X has a slight advantage - it's still updated by the SoC maker Qualcomm."
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sequestris said:

I asked. They answered.

"The existing Pro1 will not lose it's support from us for Android or the LineageOS, Linux communities anytime soon. Although the Pro1 X has a slight advantage - it's still updated by the SoC maker Qualcomm."

Thanks. Not to be sarcastic, but I do wonder what they mean by "support" when it has been almost nine months without bugfixes, and the security updates are over a year behind... But I guess I'm just impatient.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We do know they had plans for an Android 10 upgrade before the SoC changed. My guess would that they just won't have the resources to do that now, but you never know, the very existence of our Pro1 proves FxTec is very resourceful indeed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slion said:

We do know they had plans for an Android 10 upgrade before the SoC changed. My guess would that they just won't have the resources to do that now, but you never know, the very existence of our Pro1 proves FxTec is very resourceful indeed.

Oh indeed. What we do not know is how much the swindle affected their plans for the original Pro1. Optimistically it could merely be a matter of prioritising getting the Pro1X ready and out on the streets first.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sequestris said:

I asked. They answered.

"The existing Pro1 will not lose it's support from us for Android or the LineageOS, Linux communities anytime soon. Although the Pro1 X has a slight advantage - it's still updated by the SoC maker Qualcomm."

Nice of you to ask them but uhhh..press x to doubt.

I am sure they could finish 10 because that is 100% supported afaik but anything beyond that I wouldn't count. So far everything seems to indicate us 835ers are SOL unless we dedicate a full day to moving to Lineage or some other variant.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, MickH said:

Are you connected through a VPN at all?

I'm using Blokada v5 and was having similar issues, which meant I had to disable Blokada to check for updates.
After some poking about I found out that Blokada was blocking the Adups service, once I whitelisted this in Blokada I can now check for updates without switching off the VPN.

Thanks foe the info.
I tested with/without VPN for both Wifi and 4G, no change (always "up to date"), still seeking how to update to 0825 (without wipe).

Edited by fuku
MisPosted without reply...
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 3:30 PM, fuku said:

Thanks foe the info.
I tested with/without VPN for both Wifi and 4G, no change (always "up to date"), still seeking how to update to 0825 (without wipe).

You could try to return to stock, but without "fastboot erase userdata". Since you are on stock, I see no reason why you need to erase userdata nor expect any issues. But, that is just an assumption.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 10:33 AM, John Veness said:

If I remember correctly, I had the white blank screen problem before, and solved it by clearing storage for the update app in Android Settings.

Remember that there are TWO apps with the same name "Wireless Update", and that you have to click Ellipsis and "Show system" to have them included on the app list first.
I do not know which one is required, I would suggest to clear for both.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

so i'm gonna copy this,,, and based on this, are we talking about our firmware or the android security updates?

 

Quote

But I remained concerned about the SD835 and it's upcoming EOL.
I wasn't all too sure the advertised two years of Android updates would cover SoC firmware updates as well. (Android updates =/= firmware updates)
Without firmware updates it doesn't really matter which OS you are running, since you become vulnerable at the lowest software-level. Exploiting firmware vulnerabilities can allow for total control over the device. And no OS update (not even a community-driven one) could ever fix this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms