Pro¹ X – state of production and delivery

9 hours ago, Tsunero said:

As usual still nothing on the original Pro 1 :(. Just come out and say we won't get Android 10 at this point for stock.

I am completely gave up using stock OS, going for LineageOS is a better option instead.
Also, it has Android 11 support...

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Production does indeed seem to be starting...  

Please stop. You made your points, there are people here who invested in this project knowing that, you are doing a disservice to the intent of the project and to those that have supported this f

Since I ordered my first Fxtec phone, a Pro1, in Sept 2019 (which also seems to become the one to arrive last...) I've read everything Fxtec communicated (plus every comment in this forum), including

Posted Images

23 hours ago, VaZso said:

I am completely gave up using stock OS, going for LineageOS is a better option instead.
Also, it has Android 11 support...

I fully agree personally, though I understand the disappointment of those who bought a (quite expensive) original Pro1 expecting regular minor and major updates of the operating system it shipped with, which IS the official Android OS, not some open-source fork of it.

Obviously, they have to focus all in-house effort on the Pro1-X now. However, I hope that, now that they are actively participating in alternative-OS development, also the original Pro1 will keep getting some love in the long run. E.g., I still hope for a useable UbuntuTouch port for the 835-Pro1.

• Like 4

one day somewhere in 2022 we shall recieve some parts with a note ,some assembly is required but u could make a phone out of them maybe ?
need to check the first purchase date but out of my head it was somwhere in 2019 😂
at least i have been getting the idigogo updates 🙂
i can stil look forward to seeing what people are doing with our money

one day

one day .... maybe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Tsunero said:

As usual still nothing on the original Pro 1 :(. Just come out and say we won't get Android 10 at this point for stock.

I was on stock and hopeful for the longest time but gave up on it as the chipset "upgrade" of the X clearly meant the original would not get any official support. Moved to Lineage 3 months ago and never looked back. Yes it takes time and effort to set it up but it is well worth it.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, skatopsixos said:

Hello community, i ll try to be calm.  Any update?   November is our month (see picture of Fxtec)

tec.png

The only place official updates will happen is the IGG updates because the store won't have stock to ship before they are shipped to IGG backers.  The November update, when it comes, will either say the are ready to begin production and shipping, or it will provide the latest delay. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For completeness 🙂 :

November Pro1-X update

yszvj3gfpz9z08hqwtdc.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers,

Here is the latest news from the Pro1-X campaign!

Whilst finalising the development of the Pro1-X, we have managed to confirm a final date for mass manufacturing with the factory. This is despite the original production date being pushed back due to unexpected issues related with antenna that we noticed during last month’s final test: 

1. After re-designing the full antenna system last month, we carried out RF tests and found that certain LTE bands failed due to interference with the USB-C port. To fix this, we have had to redesign the mini board with Type-C port, which has taken us a couple of weeks. 
  2. The new back metal cover of the Pro1-X (with new antenna parts) was causing signal failure for NFC. This meant that we had to change and re-mould the cover to fit the new NFC antenna (due to the full antenna system redesign). This step was completed last week, and we have since tested and verified that the NFC now works on the Pro1-X as the original Pro1. 

Here are some videos of Pro1-X tests that have been carried out:

• Touch panel testing

Watch on Vimeo

• USB on the go testing

Watch on Vimeo

• Keyboard hall sensor test

Watch on Vimeo

What happens next? 

• We need to re-make the individual parts for the new mini-board and back cover (due to the redesign mentioned above). 
  • GMS is still underway, and we expect to have fully passed before we start shipping your devices. 
  • With all of the tests and functionality finally completed and verified, we do not expect any further delays to mass manufacturing.
  • We are re-booking a manufacturing slot with the factory for the 5th January 2022. Due to the number of steps/complexity involved in the Pro1-X production line, it is difficult for us to book an assembly slot any sooner. For reference, we have 30+ individual procedures, compared to a generic smartphone which typically has around 10 steps). 
  • We will manufacture some pre-production units from the 15th December 2021 to get familiar with the production line and all of the necessary steps required for mass manufacturing ahead of January 2022.  These pre-production units will then be sent out to all of the OS developers to help us verify the production quality and functionality internally. 

Check out some recent images and videos of the most recent pre-production Pro1-X sample unit:

Watch on Vimeo

sp5oa82ich4whr38g197.jpg

jmtfayppfncvefdsydxf.jpg

rfvourckq5qe8mrdcspg.jpg

q2gih86hjtzbrdtjlu3b.jpg

Software updates:

• Developers have started working on ports. This photo shows Ubuntu Touch running on SD662 Pro1-X.

f7qevi68sifyxz3foxi5.jpg

As always, thank you for your ongoing contribution and support to the Pro1-X Indiegogo campaign - we are almost there! If you have any questions or queries do not hesitate to drop us an email at [email protected]!

Team Fxtec 

So there we go – January at the earliest, more probably February.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, lawliett said:

From what I understand, they have everything they need to produce the phones. So now it's just a matter of assembly and shipping.

Therefore any supply chain issues due to COVID will no longer affect shipping estimates?

I think issues related to COVID is still a real risk especially if the factory where it is under assembly is highly affected, but I hope this kind of issue will not come up.

They are definitively going forward.
I hope they will also go through for example FCC approval soon and they can start mass production then and starting to ship devices later.

I would assume they may ship devices in next January, hopefully before Chinese New Year.

• Like 3
On 12/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, lawliett said:

From what I understand, they have everything they need to produce the phones. So now it's just a matter of assembly and shipping.

Therefore any supply chain issues due to COVID will no longer affect shipping estimates?

I don't think they have the parts, they just have the contracts for the parts (It is wild guessing at my side though). So there is still room for problems. Also their update mention some missing parts indirectly:

```
We need to re-make the individual parts for the new mini-board and back cover (due to the redesign mentioned above). 
```

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So it looks like FxTec is still hard at work designing the X and when I asked them to review their AZERTY design a couple of months ago they said they can't do that because they are already working on their next phone... I call bullshit 🤣

Basically they are so all over their heads just getting the basic phone features working that they don't have the resources to actually work on proper keyboard layouts. They also brilliantly fail at using their community to do it for them.

You can tell I'm still quite frustrated that they use my original AZERTY proposal without getting in touch first and ignoring the work I put on since to come up with a superior alternative 😞

Also it looks like quite many things have been redesigned since the One. The USB board is unlikely to be compatible then... Unless the interface is still the same.

• Like 1

"Working on their next phone" might not be that absurd after all... If everything would have gone well with the Pro1, I suppose 2021 would have been the proper year to introduce a Pro2 anyway... And with the kind of stopgap the Pro1X has become and all the additional design work that had become necessary now done, I suppose that, commercially, getting a new, attractive phone ready is really the most import thing for them now... 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

"Working on their next phone" might not be that absurd after all... If everything would have gone well with the Pro1, I suppose 2021 would have been the proper year to introduce a Pro2 anyway... And with the kind of stopgap the Pro1X has become and all the additional design work that had become necessary now done, I suppose that, commercially, getting a new, attractive phone ready is really the most import thing for them now... 

Of course you are right. I'm just venting my frustration at them having too little resources to invest in proper keyboard layouts which is somewhat central to that hardware...

Hopefully their next hardware replaces the keyboard prints layer with a flexible OLED screen for maximum layout customisation.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Slion said:

Hopefully their next hardware replaces the keyboard prints layer with a flexible OLED screen for maximum layout customisation.

Personally I hope for e-ink keys like they had on the "Alias 2" a.k.a. "SCH-U750" Samsung made for Verizon. An ingenious solution, fitting 'any' language or gaming...

SCH-U750-UNIT.JPG

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, Noob said:

Isn't one of the major benefits of a phone like this tactile button feedback?  You'd lose that with keys printed on a screen.

As far as I know, those are real keys with tactile feedback but with a e-paper-like display area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, VaZso said:

As far as I know, those are real keys with tactile feedback but with a e-paper-like display area.

Yup. The keys are just as real as on e.g. the Pro1. They are transparent, and right under them is an e-ink display, I bought one just to have it. I have considered to buy one of the defective ones you can get on ebay for $20 just to take it apart... But shipping and customs would add some $40, so have been too stingy.... Add: Just ordered one anyway....
(See e.g. this for images and a video)

• Haha 1
On 12/27/2021 at 2:50 PM, EskeRahn said:

Personally I hope for e-ink keys like they had on the "Alias 2" a.k.a. "SCH-U750" Samsung made for Verizon. An ingenious solution, fitting 'any' language or gaming...

SCH-U750-UNIT.JPG

That would be awesome! It would be awesome if they were able to do that within the PRO¹ keyboard area...

• Like 2

They have just released another update here:

Link

December Pro1-X update

zmttncc3ognkklhm672a.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers,

We hope you all had a merry Christmas and wish you all the best for the New Year. 

Here is the latest news from the Pro1-X campaign!

Since updating the antenna system, we have immediately placed a new order for the mini-board and the back cover.

The back cover manufacturing process: raw material delivery, injection molding, processing (adding antenna parts) polishing, and painting. Each of these steps is done in different factories in China. During this process (the injection molding stage) one of the factories has a COVID outbreak (in Dongguan) and the local government had consequently shut down the factory for the last couple of weeks. This has unfortunately affected the rest of the manufacturing process/chain, but we are doing our best to speed things along. 

Here are some recent videos of the ongoing production process:

This is one of the last components to be delivered to the factory before we can begin our final assembly line. 

In the meantime, check out our keyboard manufacturing process: 

We are gathering together all the remaining components in our assembly warehouse so that we can begin packaging and shipping devices once the manufacturing process has been completed. 

ilzgfm9tayp8nka44if3.jpg

Due to the worsening COVID restrictions in China and the approaching Chinese New Year, things look uncertain at the moment. We are however trying our best to get devices shipped out before the Chinese New year. As a worst-case scenario, production will resume in mid-February, and devices will start shipping in the same month. 

As always, thank you for your ongoing contribution and support to the Pro1-X Indiegogo campaign. If you have any questions or queries do not hesitate to drop us an email at [email protected]!

Team Fxtec 

Also, I wish you a Happy New Year!

Edited by VaZso
  • Thanks 5