LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ivoanjo said:

@Rob. S. out of curiosity, what's the advantage of flashing the display IC?

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement.

If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than Fxtec (and Fxtec has been out of replacement units for some months now, also they're expensive as they include casing and front camera and other electronics), those replacement units will come with significantly wider tap-insensitive borders – to the extent of making it difficult to impossible to use some functions in some apps, even with the margin settings provided by LineageOS reduced to zero.

For LineageOS users, the only known solutions to bring this back to normal are either said flashing process (which needs an internal tool from the chip manufacturer that isn't supposed to become public) or reverting to stock and going through all OTA updates, one of which includes the same process. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

(lineage-18.1-20210816-nightly-pro1-signed.zip on August 5 security patch installed smoothly using adb sideload and Open_Gapps-arm64-11-pico-20210712)

...But the reintroduced Accessibility / keyboard bug is not (yet) fixed, see above.
Did not try to do a factory reset first...

• Thanks 2

Does anyone else have issues where the screen doesn't turn on for an incoming phone call?  It's only happened a handful of times so far but all but once I've had to restart the phone by holding the power key for 10s to recover from this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Noob said:

Also, is there a way to type an emoji with the physical keyboard?  So far I've just had to switch back to the on-screen keyboard for this.

Within a specific messenger or generally? And do you mean that the on-screen emoji selection doesn't even come up while you are using the physical keyboard? Or would you just want to use the keyboard directly to select emojis from there?

1 hour ago, Jacob_S said:

Within a specific messenger or generally? And do you mean that the on-screen emoji selection doesn't even come up while you are using the physical keyboard? Or would you just want to use the keyboard directly to select emojis from there?

Well I guess any app when I'm typing that doesn't have a built-in emoji button (like Whatsapp and Signal do), for example SMS.  I'd be happy to select the emoji on-screen, but I need some way to open the emoji selection if some keyboard shortcut exists.  I see the Alt key has a yellow emoji icon but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I know there's an option to still show the on-screen keyboard when the physical keyboard is active, but it shows the entire redundant keyboard, at least when using the AOSP keyboard or AnySoftKeyboard.  All I'd really want in this case is a small keyboard that only shows additional things like emojis.  This keyboard is one example of what I'm talking about (but it's for Japanese).

10 minutes ago, Noob said:

I see the Alt key has a yellow emoji icon but it doesn't seem to do anything.

In Lineage 16.0, that key combination (Yellow Arrow + Alt) brings up an emoji selector box. Works in all apps I have tested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, claude0001 said:

In Lineage 16.0, that key combination (Yellow Arrow + Alt) brings up an emoji selector box. Works in all apps I have tested.

Interesting, does it work for anyone else on 18.1? Because I get nothing.

• Like 1

In Lineage 18.1, just pressing the left Alt key seems to work, unless (this is just a theory) the app takes over the keyboard assignments.

So, for example, Google Messages (sms), Aquamail, Facebork Messenger (don't judge me, Mrs. Hook insists on using it)   and a text editor,Markor, will all give me an emoji pallatte when I press left Alt. However, Softmaker Textmaker, which hasit's own key assignment shortcuts, does not.

It may depend on what soft keyboard you are using. I use the AOSP keyboard and it has an actual setting to have emoji appear when using the physical keyboard.

Here is a very o;d comparison of what features diferent soft keyboards would allow from the physical keyboard.  This was with Lineage 16.  I don't know what has changed, but you can see there are differences.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Hook said:

I use the AOSP keyboard and it has an actual setting to have emoji appear when using the physical keyboard

You are absolutely right! I also use the AOSP keyboard and I can indeed enable/disable the emoji selector using that setting, though I think it was enabled by default in my LOS 16.

@Noob: Something to check, maybe ...

• Thanks 1

Just noticed a weird issue with inoming calls and VoLTE. Sound was stuttering and highly sped up - totally incomprehensible. But it only occurred on my side and just with incoming calls. Turned VoLTE off for now.

German 1&1 using the Vodafone network.

• Sad 1

My friend who also has a Pro1 has stopped using it months ago because of the bugs exist in stock Android - he simply bought another phone as a daily driver and he is satisfied with it.

So yesterday we installed the latest LineageOS to his device.
Basically I see a lot of settings which I missed from stock - ringtone volume can be set as increasing, always on display works, notification LED works (it works on my device but stopped working for him), automatic brightness seems to work (it works on my device but he had problems with it) and basically the phone looks to be much more finished than with stock firmware.

I also experiencing problems with stock firmware, basically it does a reboot loop upon restart and has started to do it also when the charger is connected (it seems like if it can not load some system component in time).
Earlier, I had a similar problem (a bit more than a year ago) and I did a factory reset because of it.
The phone was fast until reinstalled all apps, then started to do the same problem again.
Then I did another factory reset and unticked some of the applications which made the phone fast, but it has started to do the same problems again in a few months. First just the reboot-looping, then also the charger connected looping.
(So it seems to reboot several times for about 0.5-1-2 hours, then it starts maybe when the phone gets charged, but kernel uptime is still increasing, only Android does a soft reloading).
Since I have installed my last two applications, it has also started to lag - long presses on display caused by a simple touch; software keyboard is also affected, also typing on the keyboard is affected a bit (works well, then halts for a while but buffering and some characters are doubled). Entering the lock code is also not fluent, it senses and buffering but then displays it later "at once", then lets me in. Also loading of applications is very slow.

So, I need to do something with my pone and I don't want to use stock OS anymore.

LineageOS seems to be a much better solution, but I still have some questions.
So, yesterday we have downloaded boot image, then the latest build, everything went smoothly and the os was sideloaded.
Then we have also sideloaded magisk (23.0), but then the system seemed to booting for the first time indefinitely.
After a hard reset, we chose "Factory reset" in boot menu and the OS has started almost immediately after reboot.

So I think magisk was also removed by running that option which my friend installed later as an apk.
However, I did not see magisk hide in the app and its own safetynet check told it is being on "basic level" complaining about "crsProfile".
So, Magisk hide does not exist in settings.

Sorry for the dumb question, but does it mean an incorrect Magisk installation or it should be added as an option (zip file)?
How long should have we waited for the first boot when Magisk were sideloaded?
...or there could be something remaining from stock OS and we should had to erase it first by doing a "Factory reset", then  sideloading Magisk? ...or it may be a wrong version?
I don't know what was the problem here.

Also, there was a discussion about a keyboard problem here, but I haven't really found now what was the issue itself - so far keyboard seemed to work well anyway, simply I don't know where it causes problems.

So overall, LineageOS seems to working very well and I should go for it also own my own phone, but I have to take a big breath as it is my daily driver although it is close to unusable on stock firmware already.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Also, there was a discussion about a keyboard problem here, but I haven't really found now what was the issue itself - so far keyboard seemed to work well anyway, simply I don't know where it causes problems.

The keyboard issue on later builds is related to the usage of some (though not all) apps fiddling with the "Accessibility".
One such app is "Android assistant". When this app is granted the Accessibility right. The keyboard selection of anything but default no longer works properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The keyboard issue on later builds is related to the usage of some (though not all) apps fiddling with the "Accessibility".
One such app is "Android assistant". When this app is granted the Accessibility right. The keyboard selection of anything but default no longer works properly.

Thanks.
That may not cause problems for me I think (and hope), but I hope a fix may happen later which does not break compatibility of other devices.

Anyway, when you have installed LineageOS and Magisk, how long did the first boot take?

I sideload Magisk 23.0, but I only use it for SU, I don't use any modules.  I don't even open the manager.  To do this, I use the depreciated method of renaming the apk to zip and doing adb sideload.  That's it. I don't have to do anything else and Lineage boots fine.  The SU function also survives OTA updates.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Hook said:

I sideload Magisk 23.0, but I only use it for SU

Thanks.
For you, how long did it take for the first boot?
I don't know what took so long for us yesterday.

Anyway, on my phone, I would only use it for su rarely (I may also hoping for a working chroot-ed Linux environment) and for passing Safetynet in case an application does not work what I need.
(However, I don't really know how it works, so I don't want to give root access to other applications.)

Currently I don't have that phone around me, but I may try Termux + su later on that phone to see what happens. 🙂

3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

For you, how long did it take for the first boot?

First boot takes maybe an extra minute or two, but I don't know if that is Magisk or the Lineage first boot (as whenever I have flashed Magisk I have also sideloaded a new nightly of Lineage).  I usually plan to get a fresh coffee whenever I boot after updating via ADB.  When I come back everything is up and working. 😄

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

First boot takes maybe an extra minute or two, but I don't know if that is Magisk or the Lineage first boot (as whenever I have flashed Magisk I have also sideloaded a new nightly of Lineage).  I usually plan to get a fresh coffee whenever I boot after updating via ADB.  When I come back everything is up and working. 😄

Thank you.
I have a feeling what we did wrong is not selecting factory reset prior sideloading Magisk, so user data of stock system may be there which may caused the long (more than 5-10 or maybe 15 minutes) of rolling circle back and forth.

(However, stock OS was also in factory reset state when we started "playing" with it.)

As if I understand well, sideloading a newer nightly and magisk should not touch user data and we have only installing bootloader then sideloading Lineage + Magisk, not erasing old user data would has been the missing step.

Yes, when doing a full new install, including Boot Image, you need to factory reset, though I would think factory resetting before installing the boot image (on stock) ought to have been good enough since that would have wiped user data.  That is the main thing, you are right.  You need to wipe user data for a fresh install.

• Like 1

@VaZso I just went through the procedure of moving to LOS 18.1 from stock, too (even though I went through stock only to get those display margins right after a display replacement, after I had bought my device with LOS already installed, so I saw stock for the first and only a short time)...

Booting LOS for the first time always took unusually long for me (compared to a normal boot), regardless of the device, and no matter whether with or without Magisk, and it did so again this time. I guess that's just normal.

To the best of my knowledge, user data needs to be wiped before flashing LOS, not specifically before sideloading Magisk. That said, as far as I remember, in all my Magisk setups I've always flashed/sideloaded Magisk before the operating system's first boot...

To get SafetyNet to fully pass is a different subject; after flashing LOS and Magisk and booting into the system you need to follow the instructions detailed here:

Most important part is: In the Magisk app, install the "MagiskHide Props Config" module. Now to spoof fingerprint reboot, open terminal or adb shell, become root (type 'su') then type 'props', choose option 1, f, then find Fxtec and the Pro1 in the list. Follow the instructions and exit. Reboot. (There are other steps to make apps like Google Pay behave properly.)

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Booting LOS for the first time always took unusually long for me (compared to a normal boot), regardless of the device, and no matter whether with or without Magisk, and it did so again this time. I guess that's just normal.

Do you mean a range of nearly half an hour?
We may were impatient but after a hard reboot (pressing power key) then a factory reset, it has booted only maybe in 1 minute I think.

8 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

To the best of my knowledge, user data needs to be wiped before flashing LOS, not specifically before sideloading Magisk. That said, as far as I remember, in all my Magisk setups I've always flashed/sideloaded Magisk before the operating system's first boot...

Right, we started after a factory reset of stock OS, but did not do a factory reset from boot loader after sideloading LineageOS and that is what I was thinking about lately. 🙂

However, we wanted to sideload Magisk before the first boot, however, after we did a factory reset to see if it works at all, we has started to explore LineageOS forgetting everything else instead of going back to a factory reset and a Magisk sideload. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

To get SafetyNet to fully pass is a different subject; after flashing LOS and Magisk and booting into the system you need to follow the instructions detailed here:

Thank you, I have remembered there are information written about it, but this came quickly for me yesterday without any preparation at my side - I was at my friend doing something different then he had the idea to play with Pro1 / LineageOS, so I could not gather every steps about this while we started doing it.

In the linked thread, you wrote this:
"In Magisk app, Install MagiskHide Props Config module." - how is it possible?
Is that a built-in module installed by sideloading Magisk from its Github repository or should it be downloaded elsewhere?

Just because I haven't found it yesterday but there was an option to install maybe modules in zip file.

Okay (after searching a bit), if I understood well, I should download a release of MagiskHidePropsConf which can be installed then. Is this the proper (official) repository for Magisk modules?

Also, in your article, you wrote to install Magisk app and you did a Magisk sideloading later.
Is the first step necessary (makes any difference) or only sideloading is enough and just was a chronological step what you wrote down?
...or are these two different things (an app and a deeper solution)?

Sorry for these question, I would like to understand it better before I wipe my daily driver and the phone we worked yesterday is at my friend. 🙂