LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

I'm having a hard time installing APKs on my custom Lineage OS build. First for some reasons I could not setup gapps probably because of signing issues. Then the Files app won't open some apks. Some work like the one from my Fulguris Web Browser, some do not work like the one from F-Droid or my Fx Service. It has not much to do with the APKs themselves it's just that the Files app won't install them for some reason. When I had gapps I could use another File Manager to install them but as it is I can't cause I can't even install F-Droid…

Edited by Slion
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Could it be some a/b stuff.
The normal procedure install the main image to a, and then a recovery boot, and the gapps are put to b. (see batch a bit above)

Could be, though I'm not using that batch script of yours, just doing sideload which I believe is targeting the current slot which I never changed explicitly.

1 minute ago, Slion said:

Could be, though I'm not using that batch script of yours, just doing sideload which I believe is targeting the current slot which I never changed explicitly.

Yes obviously you will not use that directly, but the logic I took from tdm's guide. And the interesting point is here to NOT just add as a second package after install, but to go to advanced, and reboot to recovery, and then add it (and that will be to b if the main was in a)

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

I'm having a hard time installing APKs on my custom Lineage OS build. First for some reasons I could not setup gapps probably because of signing issues. Then the Files app won't open some apks. Some work like the one from my Fulguris Web Browser, some do not work like the one from F-Droid or my Fx Service. It has not much to do with the APKs themselves it's just that the Files app won't install them for some reason. When I had gapps I could use another File Manager to install them but as it is I can't cause I can't even install F-Droid…

Solution:

adb install <full-file-name-apk>

Though really we should report those issues upstream to Lineage I guess.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Slion said:

@claude0001 Is that normal the gapps won't show up with my custom build? It needs some proper signing to work?

Me, I cannot say because I never used a (potentially unsigned) custom build, but when I installed the official 18.1 build these days I had problems with GApps showing up, too, on first boot. Because of conflicting information and experience regarding how/when to sideload GApps (and Magisk) after having sideloaded LOS, I finally flashed those ZIPs on both A and B partitions (and then both came up)...

10 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Me, I cannot say because I never used a (potentially unsigned) custom build, but when I installed the official 18.1 build these days I had problems with GApps showing up, too, on first boot. Because of conflicting information and experience regarding how/when to sideload GApps (and Magisk) after having sideloaded LOS, I finally flashed those ZIPs on both A and B partitions (and then both came up)...

I obviously don't build LOS, but I've never had a problem with Gapps showing up when sideloading LOS via ADB.  I have always used @tdm instructions, as mentioned by @EskeRahn.  I adb sideload the latest LOS nightly, then reboot to recovery, which changes you from the a/b partition you were on to the other a/b partion where the update was installed.  Then I adb sideload Magisk and Gapps (in that order, if it makes a difference-- I don't think it does). 

• Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Hook said:

Then I adb sideload Magisk and Gapps (in that order, if it makes a difference-- I don't think it does). 

on 16.0 I loaded Gapps before SU, so I think you are right, and the order of those is not important

7 minutes ago, Hook said:

....then reboot to recovery, which changes you from the a/b partition you were on to the other a/b partion where the update was installed. 

I do not think that is quite accurate, I think it is the package flash that ends by setting the next boot partition to 'the other'.
If you in recovery mode goes to advanced, reboot to recovery again, it does not change each time.
I used to do that between gapps and su on 16.0, and they both went to b.

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I do not think that is quite accurate, I think it is the package flash that ends by setting the next boot partition to 'the other'.
If you in recovery mode goes to advanced, reboot to recovery again, it does not change each time.
I used to do that between gapps and su on 16.0, and they both went to b.

I think we are saying the same thing. Maybe I wasn't clear-- I do not always have the terminology right.  All I was saying is that, if recovery is showing you are on partition a: and you adb sideload the update, it still shows partition a:  You then have to reboot to recovery and it shows you are now on partition b:  Wnat actually accomplishes the change in partition is magic to a noob like me.  😄  And yes, reboot to recovery is not needed after Magisk and Gapps.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Hook said:

reboot to recovery is not needed after Magisk and Gapps.

(i did it between the two packages, but it stayed on b - and yes it is magic to me too *LOL* so purely guessing here, it does not really print out much during the install, I guess that some more details ends up in a log-file somewhere)

10 hours ago, Slion said:

This seems really awkward. I fear I cannot help here.

I have been using my self-built (testing-key-signed) Lineage for months. And while I do not use Gapps (on purpose 😎), I can sideload LOS-16's official AddonSU, and I can install any App via F-Droid, Aurora, or by opening the *.APK from the file browser.

I did migrate a previous official Lineage install using the procedure explained in the Lineage wiki in order to not loose my data upon installing my own build. But that was it.

I understand you wiped data before flashing your build ("Nuke the entire site from orbit!"), so I would expect signing-keys not to be an issue for you.

• Thanks 1

For me, the biggest annoyance of the Pro1 keyboard is that it's impossible to turn off autocapitalization. Some time ago I took a quick look at the sources but I didn't find the root cause. This seems to be done by the Android userspace. Did anyone find a root cause or a workaround?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

For me, the biggest annoyance of the Pro1 keyboard is that it's impossible to turn off autocapitalization. Some time ago I took a quick look at the sources but I didn't find the root cause. This seems to be done by the Android userspace. Did anyone find a root cause or a workaround?

Certainly caused by your keyboard software. Try AnySoftKeyboard maybe or look into your current keyboard settings and see if there is an option to disable it.

Edited by Slion
47 minutes ago, Slion said:

Certainly caused by your keyboard software. Try AnySoftKeyboard maybe or look into your current keyboard settings and see if there is an option to disable it.

I'm using anysoftkeyboard as my virtual kbd and have autocapitalization turned off there. sentences are not autocapitalized when using the virtual kbd but the are while using the hw kbd

14 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

I'm using anysoftkeyboard as my virtual kbd and have autocapitalization turned off there. sentences are not autocapitalized when using the virtual kbd but the are while using the hw kbd

Is there not a different set of settings for hardware keyboard?

40 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

There is but it doesn't provide any autocapitalization setting

I'm using ASK too and I don't have auto caps. Nor do I have sticky shifts. At least not in WebView based browsers. Maybe it depends on the app somehow but I doubt it. Settings search field also does not have auto caps and stick shifts here.

This could be a red herring / I could be misremembering something but I thought the settings for external keyboards and/or the way the device driver manifest thingy is set, the  keyboard is an ALPHA mode vs FULL keyboard mode, and ALPHA will auto-caps first letters for you.

per @EskeRahns 2 year old comment.

In addition, to improve typing speed and accuracy, the framework provides special affordances for alphabetic keyboards such as auto-capitalization and toggled / locked SHIFT and ALT keys.

Edited by Maplesteel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Slion said:

I'm using ASK too and I don't have auto caps. Nor do I have sticky shifts. At least not in WebView based browsers. Maybe it depends on the app somehow but I doubt it.

I'm still not sure about the whole spectrum of things the app can change, but I guess the app can change quite a bit. I fear my brain is already overloaded with all those keyboard details even without going into things like debugging and changing a keyboard driver... I can't quite remember how it used to be in LOS 16.1 (which had an US International keymap with dead keys for accents and umlauts), but now in LOS 18.1 the long-press special-character popups don't work in text boxes on web pages, so I'm happy to get the umlauts and accents I need through Sym+key combinations...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Maplesteel said:

This could be a red herring / I could be misremembering something but I thought the settings for external keyboards and/or the way the device driver manifest thingy is set, the  keyboard is an ALPHA mode vs FULL keyboard mode, and ALPHA will auto-caps first letters for you.

per @EskeRahns 2 year old comment.

Thanks. My point is that while I want sticky modifiers, i don't want autocapitalization 🙂 so switching back to full doesn't do the trick

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
57 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

Thanks. My point is that while I want sticky modifiers, i don't want autocapitalization 🙂 so switching back to full doesn't do the trick

Again, as far as I can tell, this is controlled by the  the soft keyboard.  AOSP keyboard has sticky shift (but no setting for it) but it does have an autocapitilization toggle.  If you turn it off in the soft keyboard, the hardware keyboard no longer does it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1