Pro1 on LineageOS 18.1 only charges if I reboot it first

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In case you have root, you can take a look at /sys/class/power_supply/... For my Moto Z Play, I made an Automate Flow (script) to read and write to certain files (e.g. in /sys/class/power_supply/

I just had this issue for the first time yesterday (after only ever having run Lineage 18 on the phone since I got it a year ago). Rebooting appeared to solve it and everything seemed fine again.

As I read what @3zet writes, the point is if you have some software that stops charging when full (to prolong battery life when constantly connected). Charging ought to be accepted again once bel

Posted Images

I recently encounter a charging problem, has anyone else experienced something similar?

Description:

phone does not charge, starts charging only after reboot with charger connected. Checked on different chargers and laptop USB ports

How to replicate:

in my case - discharge the phone to around 15%, connect the charger

LineageOS 18.1 with recent updates

Edit - please delete my post or better move it to the relevant topic:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3408-pro1-on-lineageos-181-only-charges-if-i-reboot-it-first/

Edited by patrykgrzesiak

In case you have root, you can take a look at /sys/class/power_supply/...

For my Moto Z Play, I made an Automate Flow (script) to read and write to certain files (e.g. in /sys/class/power_supply/usb/) to control charging speed, stop charging at 85%, and even prevent apps like the Play Store to detect that the phone was charging. I did not have the time yet to make a script for the Pro1, so I can't tell which subdirectory in /sys/class/power_supply/ controls charging...

/sys is a virtual file system connected to the kernel. You can open files under /sys (as text files) to get information about the hardware (like the current battery voltage). Some files you can also write to, to control the hardware (like setting the maximum charging current, if supported). This might also be an interesting place to look at when your phone doesn't charge. E.g. open /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled and check whether it is set to 1 or 0 when the charger is connected.

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just for the record, now I've experienced the same for the first time after I reinstalled LOS 18.1 from scratch.

AccuBattery showed 47% charge level and 7mA charge current (i.e. nothing).

ACC is set up to stop charging at 75% and to resume charging when the charge level drops to 70%.

AccA app reported "not charging" (with the cable connected) where it usually says either "charging" or "discharging".

Contrary to what I was remembering, opening the AccA app (or restarting the ACC service) didn't restart charging, either, so I had to reboot, too.

So according to AccA there are three states to observe, "charging", "discharging" and "not charging", with the latter denoting the state we're discussing here. Disconnecting the cable in "not charging" state changes to "discharging" and vice versa.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone had issues charging their phone?  This has happened to me twice this week, worked again after a restart.

Screenshot_20210826-100336_Settings.png

EDIT: My mistake, thought I posted to the Lineage 18.1 thread.  😦

Edited by Noob
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Noob said:

Has anyone had issues charging their phone?  This has happened to me twice this week, worked again after a restart.

Not yet but there are feedbacks on this forum about it...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Noob said:

See this thread:

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Noob said:

I guess you won't those issues until you start using it as daily driver which is not my case. It's also off topic on that thread. @EskeRahn you could move that somewhere.

@Noob consider reporting that issue there:

https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues?scope=all&state=opened&label_name[]=device%3Apro1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, daniel.schaaaf said:

In case you have root, you can take a look at /sys/class/power_supply/...

For my Moto Z Play, I made an Automate Flow (script) to read and write to certain files (e.g. in /sys/class/power_supply/usb/) to control charging speed, stop charging at 85%, and even prevent apps like the Play Store to detect that the phone was charging. I did not have the time yet to make a script for the Pro1, so I can't tell which subdirectory in /sys/class/power_supply/ controls charging...

/sys is a virtual file system connected to the kernel. You can open files under /sys (as text files) to get information about the hardware (like the current battery voltage). Some files you can also write to, to control the hardware (like setting the maximum charging current, if supported). This might also be an interesting place to look at when your phone doesn't charge. E.g. open /sys/class/power_supply//sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_enabled and check whether it is set to 1 or 0 when the charger is connected.

/sys/class/power_supply # cat battery/status
Not charging

Right now I have a more serious problem: the device stops charging several minutes after a reboot. The only related thing in the logcat is:

08-29 11:49:16.367  1386  1454 I DreamManagerService: Gently waking up from dream.
08-29 11:49:16.367  1386  1419 I DreamManagerService: Performing gentle wake from dream.
08-29 11:49:15.708     0     0 W healthd : battery l=75 v=4135 t=30.0 h=2 st=3 c=429198 fc=2878000 cc=4 chg=
08-29 11:49:15.748     0     0 E i2c-msm-v2 c17a000.i2c: NACK: slave not responding, ensure its powered: msgs(n:1 cur:0 tx) bc(rx:0 tx:4) mode:FIFO slv_addr:0x28 MSTR_STS:0x0d1300c8 OPER:0x00000090
08-29 11:49:15.998     0     0 W healthd : battery l=75 v=3983 t=30.0 h=2 st=3 c=-601073 fc=2878000 cc=4 chg=
08-29 11:49:16.034     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_resume:2512] Resume start...
08-29 11:49:16.034     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_power_reset:1244] force_reset_guitar
08-29 11:49:16.034     0     0 I         : <<GTP-ERR>>[gt1x_power_switch:427] gt1x_power_switch on=0 vdd_count=0
08-29 11:49:16.075     0     0 I         : <<GTP-ERR>>[gt1x_power_switch:427] gt1x_power_switch on=1 vdd_count=0
08-29 11:49:16.086     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_reset_guitar:916] GTP RESET!
08-29 11:49:16.100     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_reset_guitar:927] gt1x_reset_guitar ===========sss=======
08-29 11:49:16.155     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_reset_guitar:931] gt1x_reset_guitar ==================
08-29 11:49:16.155     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_reset_guitar:936] gt1x_reset_guitar ret=0
08-29 11:49:16.309     0     0 W healthd : battery l=75 v=3983 t=30.0 h=2 st=3 c=-601073 fc=2878000 cc=4 chg=
08-29 11:49:16.365     0     0 I         : <<GTP-INF>>[gt1x_wakeup_sleep:1139] Wakeup by poweron
08-29 11:49:16.365     0     0 I <blestech_fp>[fb_notifier_callback:222]fb_notifier_callback FB_BLANK_UNBLANK: 1
08-29 11:49:16.365     0     0 I         : <blestech_fp>[bf_send_netlink_msg:778]enter, send command 104
08-29 11:49:16.365     0     0 I         : <blestech_fp>[bf_send_netlink_msg:815]send done, data length is 32
08-29 11:49:16.370  4588  4999 D InstalledAppProviderSer: insertAppIntoDb android.ext.shared

• Sad 1

I didn't know we had a guitar in our Pro1?

2 hours ago, marmistrz said:

/sys/class/power_supply # cat battery/status
Not charging

Ok, that's exactly what AccA reports.

Question is, is there a way to force it from 'not charging' to 'charging' without having to reboot (if we don't get the device to automatically switch to charging, that is)...

3 hours ago, marmistrz said:

Right now I have a more serious problem: the device stops charging several minutes after a reboot.

Uh, that is bad... Just for test. Can you turn it off, and then charge it (assuming you have the flag for boot on charge cleared obviously).

fastboot oem off-mode-charge enable

(to be sure it is an issue 'limited' to while in LOS, and to be sure you can always charge when Off as a fall back).

46 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Uh, that is bad... Just for test. Can you turn it off, and then charge it (assuming you have the flag for boot on charge cleared obviously).

fastboot oem off-mode-charge enable

(to be sure it is an issue 'limited' to while in LOS, and to be sure you can always charge when Off as a fall back).

I can charge in the LOS recovery, so it's limited to chaging in LOS.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

I can charge in the LOS recovery, so it's limited to chaging in LOS.

Ah, so though obviously very impractical, at the least you will be able to charge it this weird way, until the bug is found and fixed. But really odd that only some are affected by it.

I use a pretty dumb no name charger, to keep the charging current low (about 5W), to be kind to the battery, I wonder if that is related?

ADD: I'm using a charger with roughly 5W cap. I have tested that it starts fast charging too, but did not leave it fast charging for a lengthy period.

But as fast charging gives quite a heavy heating of the battery, it just MIGHT be a security mechanism that turns off the charging due to the temperature.

You could try to install a tool like 3C All-in-one that includes logging of Charging Current, Effect, Temperature, Voltage and Capacity that can be seen as graphs. See examples in a collage here

• Thanks 1

While a couple of the people who work on LineageOS for the Pro1 read this forum, the majority don't. The best way to get our attention is to open a bug report using the instructions on the LineageOS wiki:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/how-to/bugreport

FWIW, I have not seen the problems with charging you are having, but I don't regularly run the battery down very far either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Sean McCreary said:

FWIW, I have not seen the problems with charging you are having, but I don't regularly run the battery down very far either.

I guess from what's been reported here so far it's safe to conclude that a run-down battery is largely unrelated to the phenomenon, except that the phenomenon helps a lot in letting the battery run down 😉  

• Haha 2
On 8/29/2021 at 4:50 PM, EskeRahn said:

it just MIGHT be a security mechanism that turns off the charging due to the temperature.

Silly me, i did not read the log provided closely enough>

.... healthd : battery l=75 v=3983 t=30.0  ....

So that should hardly cause anything to shut down

• Like 1

For what it's worth, charging didn't want to start again today (charging level was at 53%), and then I had another look at AccA and its several configuration options. One of them is the "charging switch", and beside the option to add one myself and an "automatic" option, I can choose between five preconfigured "charging switches" which are labeled like this:

• battery/input suspend 0 1 (default, selected)
  • dc/input suspend 0 1

... whatever all of it exactly means (ok, the first two are somewhat self-explanatory), and there's a function "test charging switch", too. 

Now, with the charger connected, but in the mysterious "not charging" state although it should be charging, testing "battery/input suspend" started a test run that never stopped (I killed it after a few minutes). When testing the other options, all of them gave a "failure" result after some time.

In normal "charging" state, though, when testing, all predefined options produce a "Selected charging switch works!" message after a few seconds...

On 8/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, EskeRahn said:

I'm using a charger with roughly 5W cap

I'm using Delta's best charger - 5.2V 3A without fast charging and I have the same problem. I don't know what causing that, its just too inconsistent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, the issue occurs when device is fully charged and shuts off charging by software when the charger is still connected. When the phone is connected to the charger once again, it is not charging, only reset fixes that

Edited by 3zet
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, 3zet said:

Okay, the issue occurs when device is fully charged and shuts off charging by software when the charger is still connected. When the phone is connected to the charger once again, it is not charging, only reset fixes that

I have not seen that though my phone is often charged to 100%.

32 minutes ago, Slion said:

I have not seen that though my phone is often charged to 100%.

As I read what @3zet writes, the point is if you have some software that stops charging when full (to prolong battery life when constantly connected).

Charging ought to be accepted again once below a certain threshold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1