Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Slion said:

Looks like it's the same display too but you may want to do your own research on that one.

It is the same screen.  At least one person has replaced their screen on their phone with an Elephone screen.  Multiple people have used screen protectors made for those phones on the Pro1 too.  I did forget to mention this to Zagg when I contacted them. 

I started an online chat with them and will ask them about the Elephone U/U Pro and the Pro1.

Edited by david
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

That protector claims "100% bubble-free application".

Considering the bubbletastic application I did of the protector I have here, maybe I should buy those instead...

The few users I've chatted with also say their protectors bubbled like crazy;   Wouldn't know tho, cuz' mine ripped while tearing it.

Had to import these;  Hope they come soon.

• Like 1

Had to cut through the soft TPU with scissors to make room for fingerprint reader, power and volume buttons as well as USB port.
I did not bother doing cutout for that audio jack since I hardly ever use it but that should be a no brainer too.
Cutout for top speaker could be improved too, did not bother either. Bottom speaker already fits perfectly.

I did not do a cutout for the shutter button as I'm concerned it will compromised the stability of the phone.

image.png.54948b6ec455a1e9415c9f99d3bd2897.png

image.png.aa3eed4a7e4ba434fed7af2cb5d980bc.png

Edited by Slion
19 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice! How is it typing in the hands?

Have you tried inserting it 'up side down'?

It's very usable both with the lid open or folded underneath.
I'm used to that design though, it's the same I carried around for years on my Nokia E7.

image.thumb.png.4ea3cc05224acf2228ba672042c99001.png

image.png.1276dc308099c95b2740484b1ac9fb38.png

Edited by Slion
29 minutes ago, Slion said:

As with the camera cutout it's a close call but it looks like it works without obstructing the view.

That could be seen as both a plus and a minus

If you insert it the other way round, the camera gets better protected.
One can EITHER detach the inner part and glue it back rotated OR one can cut a whole in the inner part for the camera.

Either way, remember to make a hole all the way out for the secondary mic close to the camera lenses.

Try to have a look at this with some of my experiments, to see possible solutions.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Raksura said:

You might be blocking the mic that's on the back, though

I see, good point. Though luck, I ain't making much videos and when I do I'm usually on the water with my kayak in which case I'll carry a water proof Huawei P30 Pro rather than my FxTec Pro1 😁

35 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

One can EITHER detach the inner part and glue it back rotated OR one can cut a whole in the inner part for the camera.

I see what you mean now, after looking at your article. Sounds totally doable with that case.

It's not really for me though cause then it's a reversed book right? ... and now I understand why you mention the portrait 180 degree rotation in some other post, so that you can still open it like a book, right? 💡

But then your buttons are on the closed side and more annoyingly you need to open the whole case to access the fingerprint reader. I think I'll stick to the existing camera cutout and maybe pierce a whole for the mic at some point with a drill.

Edited by Slion
12 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

This all says the pro 1 is hinged on the wrong side haha 😄

Yes, it would seem to me the Pro1 would have been better off hinging opposite to what it does, no mashing buttons when trying to open it. Then again I also think having a curved screen further reducing the area you can push on without triggering stuff also wasn't the best move...

...Has anyone tried a 'windowed' case for the P20 Pro yet? Not sure if all the advertised cases have the weird side only opening or if some actually display the whole screen.

Might consider buying one myself, but not sure how well the design of the (indented) window would go depth wise with the Pro1...

Edited by lameboyadvance
1 minute ago, lameboyadvance said:

Might consider buying one myself, but not sure how well the design of the (indented) window would go depth wise with the Pro1...

Any case that is fitting tightly to a P20 won't work with Pro1 which is twice the thickness. Windowed cases are usually tight fit.

11 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

This all says the pro 1 is hinged on the wrong side

I respectfully disagree. Then again I'm mostly ambidextrous anyway 😁

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Slion said:

Any case that is fitting tightly to a P20 won't work with Pro1 which is twice the thickness. Windowed cases are usually tight fit.

I respectfully disagree. Then again I'm mostly ambidextrous anyway 😁

How would you notice?

16 minutes ago, Slion said:

It's not really for me though cause then it's a reversed book right? ... and now I understand why you mention the portrait 180 degree rotation in some other post, so that you can still open it like a book, right? 💡

No, that is meant for the people holding the device in the right hand without a case, as it is currently a little too easy to have the base of the thumb triggering the fingerprint reader, ending with "two many attempts...."

I wont do that, as I always hold it in the left, either for thumb usage, or usage by right hand. Almost ambidextrous, with a slight overweight using right

And I have no problems with the book opening Nippon style in portrait. I would find it more odd if it opened downwards in landscape. *LOL*

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

How would you notice?

I was just talking about book case. Most will be tight fit I guess, especially the ones from Huawei and the ones marketed as low profile.
That pretty much leaves you the expensive leather ones much like the one I pictured above. The downside is that they are rather heavy and thick.

Edited by Slion
5 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

as it is currently a little too easy to have the base of the thumb triggering the fingerprint reader, ending with "two many attempts...."

Looks like it won't be a problem anymore once in that case anyway. With that case it's actually very convenient to hit the fingerprint reader as you open it while still preventing you to trigger it when taking it in and out of your pocket.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?