Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

6 hours ago, david said:

Personally, I don't want a clear case covering the screen.  However, I could see using a clear case as a basis for a bumper setup, where you cut out the case part that is over the display parts of the screen and leave the parts that hug the edges.  At least until a proper 3D printed one becomes available.

It's really not that different from an Otterbox...ish...

5 minutes ago, sequestris said:

It's really not that different from an Otterbox...ish...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having something like that over the top. It just isn't my personal choice.  I had one of the otterbox complete covered cases on my youngest daughter's tableT and phone for years.

Edited by david
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, galaxy said:

I am thinking of trying something like the following: 

to create the holder for the phone.  Then I will use one of the real leather flip cases and glue the holder to it. :)

I thought about doing something like that too.  I'm now wondering about doing that for the screen and then cutting an opening for the display.  However, the pre-built ones that are for other phones, made out of TPU, might hold better.

14 minutes ago, david said:

I thought about doing something like that too.  I'm now wondering about doing that for the screen and then cutting an opening for the display.  However, the pre-built ones that are for other phones, made out of TPU, might hold better.

Well, once you get the case the way you like it, you can use it as a mould for implementing it using hard plastic, e.g. using HDPE

• Like 2
23 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...I keep coming across these 'universal' bumper cases that are basically rubber strips with extra padding in the corners.

Think they could be modified to possibly fit both halves of the Pro1?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32868048401.html

I really doubt it, as they will be fighting for the corners from both sides, not allowing the two parts to meet properly when closed.

But some clever cutting of the grip parts might make them share the space.

Why not give it a try and let us know. two plus shipping is about $6, so not a great loss if it fails...😜

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get stereo sound!

There is no flap for closing, just a gap that opens to let the device in and out. see pictures for the details.

If you want to try something similar, make sure that the inner part is about 1 mm wider than the phone to ensure it’s easy to slide it out.

photo_2020-02-01_19-41-22.jpg

photo_2020-02-01_19-41-55.jpg

photo_2020-02-01_19-41-50.jpg

photo_2020-02-01_19-41-45.jpg

• Like 10

This absolutely sucks. Don't buy it.
Crappy quality, and too short.
Holes are nowhere near what we need.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:41 AM, sequestris said:

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, sequestris said:

Of course the holes don't like up, we buy the P20 Pro case purely because its dimensions are close enough to the rear of the Pro1 that it fits over it.

And its going to be too short, its made for a standard design phone, not the double decker one we have.

...What I'm more interested in is if the front half of that will sit over the screen of the Pro1 in a usable manner. I actually ordered one of these the other day because I couldn't find a version of this for the Elephone U (which would be the front half most likely to fit the screen of the Pro1).

Edited by lameboyadvance
15 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

Of course the holes don't like up, we buy the P20 Pro case purely because its dimensions are close enough to the rear of the Pro1 that it fits over it.

And its going to be too short, its made for a standard design phone, not the double decker one we have.

...What I'm more interested in is if the front half of that will sit over the screen of the Pro1 in a usable manner. I actually ordered one of these the other day because I couldn't find a version of this for the Elephone U (which would be the front half most likely to fit the screen of the Pro1).

Please don't talk to me like I am an idiot. There's no need.
But let me put this in simpler terms to make oh so sure that I am being clear and comprehensible.:

No Worky.
1/2 inch too short.
No Stretchy.
No Good.
Don't Buy.

6 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Please don't talk to me like I am an idiot. There's no need.
But let me put this in simpler terms to make oh so sure that I am being clear and comprehensible.:

No Worky.
1/2 inch too short.
No Stretchy.
No Good.
Don't Buy.

It wasn't my intention to be insulting, sorry if it came off as such.

Weird that it would be too short, we use the P20 Pro cases on the rear fine.

What differs between this design and the standard rear case that could reduce the height so much?

Sorry. When you only have text to go by, nuances are...subjective.

I bought another case (see my first post) that fits just fine on the back.
It even works on the front (although the holes are annoying).
So I thought, why not buy the 2-piece and then I can wiggle them to fit and modify as needed.
But it's seriously deficient. And it IS for a P20 so I don't know what gives.

But it's Amazon Prime, so it's really just virtual money.

21 hours ago, sequestris said:

...But the idea is not bad at all, we just need to buy TWO cases of this sort One for the lower part (e.g. for a P20 Pro) throwing away the top. PLUS one for top part throwing away the bottom. And here we need to go for a slightly SMALLER model, so the the Pro1 display size matches the intended bottoms outer dimensions. I have not found a super good candidate, but ordered some for a Note 10, that I hope fits, though they might be to short.  (Note 10 is 151 x 71.8  so if we guess the bottom is 1mm thick we have 153x73.8, and thus perhaps too short....

43 minutes ago, sequestris said:

But it's Amazon Prime, so it's really just virtual money.

Personally I would never use free returns and refunds to return things I do not like, only to return things where the description did not match what I got.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Personally I would never use free returns and refunds to return things I do not like, only to return things where the description did not match what I got.

I completely agree.  However, there are times where I see it as just fine to return a product that didn't work for me in an application I was testing as long as (1) it is in perfect condition and able to be resold, and (2) I pay for the return shipping.  Furthermore, I also don't ask for a refund of the original shipping out to me as it isn't the merchant's fault, or responsibility, to absorb the outbound shipping cost so I can test an item at his/her expense.

Edited by Polaris
  • Thanks 2
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?