Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

1 minute ago, Slion said:

Looks like it won't be a problem anymore once in that case anyway. With that case it's actually very convenient to hit the fingerprint reader as you open it while still preventing you to trigger it when taking it in and out of your pocket.

Yes a case practically eliminates the "too many..." problem.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

I usually go case-less for all my phones but the difficulty of sliding out the keyboard due to slipperiness and curved edge has me looking for a case. If I read enough of this thread, it seems we were promised a case and we all got sleeves? 😞

nonetheless, something minimal is my goal. So far all I see is a 3d print, a handful of leather cases (waay too bulky), and I guess we're all triggering the fingerprint scanner simply by taking it out of our pockets or holding it in our palms 😮

Did I miss anything? Are there actual cases being made for our devices or are we all using HTC cases for our phones?

1 hour ago, windraver said:

I usually go case-less for all my phones but the difficulty of sliding out the keyboard due to slipperiness and curved edge has me looking for a case. If I read enough of this thread, it seems we were promised a case and we all got sleeves? 😞

nonetheless, something minimal is my goal. So far all I see is a 3d print, a handful of leather cases (waay too bulky), and I guess we're all triggering the fingerprint scanner simply by taking it out of our pockets or holding it in our palms 😮

Did I miss anything? Are there actual cases being made for our devices or are we all using HTC cases for our phones?

Going minimal, I would suggest looking at a silicone shell for e.g. a Huawei P20 Pro. That gives a good grip, and some protection of the lower part. A little simple modifications are needed though.

• Like 1

I tried to remove the TPU part of one of the flip cases I have, so that I could turn it the other way. That... did not go well. There is now a tear in the back. It was a cheap one, so I guess that's to be expected, but I'd caution wariness for others attempting the same thing. Since that particular case was messed up anyway, I tried using a file (meant for repairing guitars/violins) to change the shape of the holes on the TPU part without it looking like a mess. That's not working so well either.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:15 PM, EskeRahn said:

I stumbled upon this one (suggested from your link) that has some slide function in it! That might be interesting! The photos does not show the slide that well, but might be useful for us?!? EDIT: It is a magnet at the inner part can be moved. That sounds almost perfect for our usage!! ....Just ordered....

Thanks. I've just bought two of those. I don't like the color, but painting leather is doable AFAIK. I'd prefer not to have to butcher the insides to remove the card holders so that the case can close with the phone in it.

Edited by Raksura
8 minutes ago, Raksura said:

Thanks. I've just bought two of those. I don't like the color, but painting leather is doable AFAIK. I'd prefer not to have to butcher the insides to remove the card holders so that the case can close with the phone in it.

I contacted them, they got it in black too, but out of stock. But note that the magnet might be too weak see the warning here

Also look closely at this, the camera hole is quite deep to accommodate for the magnets, so the whole thing is thick, and it MIGHT be a problem when we need to expand the hole for the camera and LED...

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Raksura said:

That's alright, I intend to cut out the hole for the camera on the other side and then simply glue the thing in place anyway.

I see, but when glued why then this over others that will be thinner?

27 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I see, but when glued why then this over others that will be thinner?

The other cases require me to detach the already glued-in TPU case to flip it (or redo a lot of holes, for which I've not found any clean solution). The detaching process hasn't worked out for me so far. :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Raksura said:

The other cases require me to detach the already glued-in TPU case to flip it (or redo a lot of holes, for which I've not found any clean solution). The detaching process hasn't worked out for me so far. :classic_biggrin:

Ah, I see. This one is fairly easy to split. If you go for the black or blue, the debris left is much less noticeable than the 'yellow'. And it is ONLY noticeable when folded FULLY open.

IMG_20200129_161648~01.jpg

• Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah, I see. This one is fairly easy to split. If you go for the black or blue, the debris left is much less noticeable than the 'yellow'. And it is ONLY noticeable when folded FULLY open.

Thanks. Considering how cheap those are, I might as well give it a try. I don't mind having some markings on the TPU part since I'll glue it fully to the leather afterwards (I don't see myself using the case as a stand, so the folding thing is not that useful to me). I bought a set of leather piercing tools (to make a hole for the camera, notification led, and mic), so hopefully that'll go better than my previous experiments.

13 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

How would heat/hot air go with removing those internal holders? Would it just melt them?

Could be worth a try, but as is all plastic (well less the cardboard stiffening) it should clearly by done by caution. But it COULD soften the glue. Will try with on one of the lesser fortunate attempts 🥴

On 1/27/2020 at 4:39 PM, david said:

It is the same screen.  At least one person has replaced their screen on their phone with an Elephone screen.  Multiple people have used screen protectors made for those phones on the Pro1 too.  I did forget to mention this to Zagg when I contacted them. 

I started an online chat with them and will ask them about the Elephone U/U Pro and the Pro1.

Okay, I got an email back from Zagg about their InvisibleShield screen protectors.  They re-confirmed what the online chat person told me.  The Pro1 and Elephone phones aren't in their database.  The person did say that stores/kiosks that have the ability to do "on demand" screen protectors should be able to make them for the Pro1.  Now, whether that is factual information remains to be seen, but that's what they said.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, sequestris said:

I am trying to decide

Pretty Cases

They will all protect the phone completely.

Interesting principle! It should allow you to use it out of the box with zero modifications. Sliding it up ever so slightly during calls to free the earpicee. Perhaps a strategically placed hole in the back for the secondary mic will be helpful for better call quality in noisy environments..

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting principle! It should allow you to use it out of the box with zero modifications. Sliding it up ever so slightly during calls to free the earpicee. Perhaps a strategically placed hole in the back for the secondary mic will be helpful for better call quality in noisy environments..

That's what I like about it. That and the dimensions are almost spot on.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sequestris said:

That's what I like about it. That and the dimensions are almost spot on.

Make sure you do not take a phone variant that is too tight. Here it does not have to fit the base perfectly, so one that is slightly wider could give the extra thickness needed closed.

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Make sure you do not take a phone variant that is too tight. Here it does not have to fit the base perfectly, so one that is slightly wider could give the extra thickness needed closed.

I picked one that was slightly oversized. Thanks :)

42 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

abielins would probably be happy if you got one of these, @EskeRahn

s-l1600.jpg

• Haha 1

While searching AliExpress for the 'double half latch' P20 Pro case @EskeRahn is using I came across some more unusual case designs...

A half flap version with ornate designs on it (no thanks). spacer.png

A case that opens from the top, so those who prefer the case upside down and those who prefer it the right way up can be equally annoyed (and will also fall apart when you cut access holes in the bottom hinge).spacer.png

A case with the flap on the front half instead of the rear half (might help with it falling over the screen).spacer.png

A version of that magnetic case that someone else posted (might have a weak magnet).spacer.png

A magnetic case with a purse inside of it (removing that would definitely give you enough room for the Pro1).spacer.png

...And finally, a triple foldout case with a removable phone holder, a secondary card holder, and a front hinge flap.H1cfbb133b6c2425596c91dee392a652b5.jpg_2

This one is definitely a possibility. The phone itself detaches from a tab instead of a magnet, and the secondary foldout card holder could be cut off to add extra height for the Pro1.Retro-PU-Leather-Case-For-Huawei-P20-Lit

This one might even have enough room in it for you to use the card holder built into the front case.

EDIT: This seller also seems to sell the phone holder half separately, so you can buy spares.

EDIT EDIT: Seems the outer case is 'generic' and is a bit bigger than the P20...Uec7bb9f61ce941e4a55031479f2d28dak.jpg_3

...Still haven't found a local/China version of EskeRahn's dual half clip case though...

Edited by lameboyadvance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, david said:

abielins would probably be happy if you got one of these, @EskeRahn

Jokes apart, if you can find this model without 'decorations' it could be quite interesting, as the magnetic flap is at a better place, and he whole thing looks symmetric, so people can use it either way as they please!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Raksura said:

I bought a set of leather piercing tools (to make a hole for the camera, notification led, and mic), so hopefully that'll go better than my previous experiments.

Yeah it should improve it alot.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?