Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I just noticed that not all the soft front and back cases have the edges front over back, some have back over front...

So this might work for the display part. Though the edge part could be an issue.

...I'm somewhat doubtful they would end up making 2 variations of '360°' TPU case for a Huawei phone (an Apple one maybe...), and since neither of those auctions seem to show the P20 specific case IMO they'll just be the same case sequestris ordered in the screen protector thread.

• Confused 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

1 hour ago, lameboyadvance said:

...I'm somewhat doubtful they would end up making 2 variations of '360°' TPU case for a Huawei phone (an Apple one maybe...), and since neither of those auctions seem to show the P20 specific case IMO they'll just be the same case sequestris ordered in the screen protector thread.

We do NOT want a "Huawei P20" but a "Huawei P20 PRO". And both sides have that on the list.... (the P20 is way too small)

And the two cases ARE different, see the guides from the lnks:

image.thumb.png.ce22f2d372278551d07f0c426699ce35.png

image.thumb.png.0686971f89715d6cec0694ccd1c14ca3.png

13 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

We do NOT want a "Huawei P20" but a "Huawei P20 PRO". And both sides have that on the list.... (the P20 is way too small)

And the two cases ARE different, see the guides from the lnks

Yeah, I know they're different phones, I just keep forgetting to say P20 Pro.

And those guides may say different things, but they still show different phones, and I'm expecting them to just source their P20 Pro case from the same place.

If they do in fact have different version of the cases, maybe one of them will end up working for us...

6 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

Yeah, I know they're different phones, I just keep forgetting to say P20 Pro.

And those guides may say different things, but they still show different phones, and I'm expecting them to just source their P20 Pro case from the same place.

If they do in fact have different version of the cases, maybe one of them will end up working for us...

It certainly would not be a first with wrong images on bay... We will have to wait and see.

Usually there are many almost identical designs copying another, but could also be principally different.

There could be a problem with those that goes screen first, as it might have an 'edge-notch' the bottom part is supposed to grab (the renderings sort of indicates that), and if so that could be bad for edge operation of the display....

ADD: I tried to see if I could find similar for a Samsung Note 7, but here it is back-first only, so that strengthens my suspicion that the screen-first type will not work., so we will need to go for a back-first type for a slightly smaller device, E.g. Samsung Note 10.

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

ADD: I tried to see if I could find similar for a Samsung Note 7, but here it is back-first only, so that strengthens my suspicion that the screen-first type will not work., so we need to go for a screen-first type for a slightly smaller device, E.g. Samsung Note 10.

...Speaking of other model phones, have you encountered any with similar dimensions that also have a curved screen? So far the Elephone U/U pro are the only ones I know of.

EDIT: According to GSMArena searching by resoultion and phone dimensions, the Meizu 16X is the closest match at 151x73.5x7.5mm, with the Meizu 16 coming in second at 150.5x73.2x7.3mm (assuming screens of similar dimensions and size mean they're using the same panel, and the Pro1 is actually 154x73.6x13.98mm.

No idea is 3mm difference is enough to make it not fit though.

EDIT EDIT: Here is my list, modified to search specifically for 2160x1080 screens. Only 2 results.

EDIT THE THIRD: It looks like the Meizu 16 phones do have a curved screen, but their LCD connectors appear to be different so they aren't drop-in replacements like the Elephone U model. ☹️

Lcd-For-Meizu-16-LCD-Display-Touch-ScreeAmoled-100-Original-Tested-For-elephone-

Edited by lameboyadvance
17 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

...Speaking of other model phones, have you encountered any with similar dimensions that also have a curved screen? So far the Elephone U/U pro are the only ones I know of.

Not besides Galaxy Note 7. This is my brutto-list

1 minute ago, lameboyadvance said:

...And it appears as if noone makes a '360°' case for the Meizu phones either. ☹️

I think that the 3mm difference is way too much to have it fit. I think looking for the Samsung Note 7 on other sources than ebay may be more fruitful. Until now I only found bottom-first type.

16 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

...But the idea is not bad at all, we just need to buy TWO cases of this sort One for the lower part (e.g. for a P20 Pro) throwing away the top. PLUS one for top part throwing away the bottom. And here we need to go for a slightly SMALLER model, so the the Pro1 display size matches the intended bottoms outer dimensions. I have not found a super good candidate, but ordered some for a Note 10, that I hope fits, though they might be to short.  (Note 10 is 151 x 71.8  so if we guess the bottom is 1mm thick we have 153x73.8, and thus perhaps too short....

I think I am going to go hit the local Fry's. The one thing they continue to have in stock is phone cases, and they let you take them out of the package and try them. I'll report back if there is any success or any "Don't" models.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Personally I would never use free returns and refunds to return things I do not like, only to return things where the description did not match what I got.

I agree, but if one P20 case fits, the other should do IMO.
And "didn't fit" is an option for reasons for return. If I bought a shirt that didn't fit, I would feel no qualms about returning it, so why not a case.

As far as condition, it never left the house. When I got out I take my flip wallet and stick the whole thing in my purse.

14 hours ago, Polaris said:

I completely agree.  However, there are times where I see it as just fine to return a product that didn't work for me in an application I was testing as long as (1) it is in perfect condition and able to be resold, and (2) I pay for the return shipping.  Furthermore, I also don't ask for a refund of the original shipping out to me as it isn't the merchant's fault, or responsibility, to absorb the outbound shipping cost so I can test an item at his/her expense.

But with Amazon, they ARE the merchant and there IS no return shipping cost.
I only buy Prime items - never from a vendor.
And it's not like I return things I get on ebay or anything.

11 minutes ago, sequestris said:

And "didn't fit" is an option for reasons for return. If I bought a shirt that didn't fit, I would feel no qualms about returning it, so why not a case.

IMO, the problem here is that you are purposefully ordering cases for a phone that you don't have and aren't intending to use the cases on for the purposes of testing in hopes of finding something for the Pro1.  With a shirt, you would be ordering it for yourself based on prior knowledge of your size, colors/patters you like, etc.  For example, If you are a size small, and your experience is that most small shirts fit you, so  you ordered it and it didn't fit, then that's on the manufacturer (with the seller sharing a portion of the burden) for not sizing it properly.  That's very different than when we all test items for applications other than for which they were intended.

9 minutes ago, sequestris said:

But with Amazon, they ARE the merchant and there IS no return shipping cost.
I only buy Prime items - never from a vendor.
And it's not like I return things I get on ebay or anything.

Your point that there is no return shipping is true, but they do this as a convenience for you expecting (or at least hoping) that people won't take advantage of their policies in this manner.  That said, you can make the argument that you pay approximately $100/year to be a Prime Member so they are able to recoup some of their losses when people behave in this manner.  However, the premise is a bit tenuous (ethically speaking) because everyone is afforded the same return policy whether or not they are a Prime member.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Polaris said:

IMO, the problem here is that you are purposefully ordering cases for a phone that you don't have and aren't intending to use the cases on for the purposes of testing in hopes of finding something for the Pro1.  With a shirt, you would be ordering it for yourself based on prior knowledge of your size, colors/patters you like, etc.  For example, If you are a size small, and your experience is that most small shirts fit you, so  you ordered it and it didn't fit, then that's on the manufacturer (with the seller sharing a portion of the burden) for not sizing it properly.  That's very different than when we all test items for applications other than for which they were intended.

Um...
I ordered a P20 back case.
It fit great.

I ordered a P20 2-piece case
Neither piece fit.

If A fit then B should fit - I should have at least gotten A piece that was long enough - especially since the dimensions listed do not match the case that was received.
If you say something is going to be X inches long, it shouldn't be X - .5.

Let's just go with "K" and move on.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, sequestris said:

I agree, but if one P20 case fits, the other should do IMO.

Remember it is P20 PRO. (A P20 is 6mm shorter and 3mm narrower than the P20 Pro, so no chance that something with a fit for P20 will fit a Pro1)

But apart from that, with over experiments we are applying something intended for another device. So it COULD be that the extra tolerance/slack in one case over another can make them both sit perfect (though more or less tight) on the intended device. Yet they could be too tight or too loose for he Pro1.

Though the dimensions are similar, they are not identical, nor are the profile of the sides. So if you do not have access to the intended device, I would say returning for not fitting a Pro1 is really unfair, they never claimed it would. By returning someone else is going to pay the shipping expenses for our experiments.

15 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Um...
I ordered a P20 back case.
It fit great.

I ordered a P20 2-piece case
Neither piece fit.

If A fit then B should fit - I should have at least gotten A piece that was long enough - especially since the dimensions listed do not match the case that was received.
If you say something is going to be X inches long, it shouldn't be X - .5.

Let's just go with "K" and move on.

Understood, but that's not to say that the 2-piece wouldn't have fit on an actual P20 model for which it was designed (especially possible due to manufacturing tolerances).  However, if the fit was incorrect for that specific application then I wouldn't have any problem with them paying the return shipping.

K is a cool letter, but sometimes I don't want the other 25 letters (of the English alphabet) to feel left out. 😁  Plus, it's kinda fun discussing something other than the phone itself. 😂

Edit:

12 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Remember it is P20 PRO. (A P20 is 6mm shorter and 3mm narrower than the P20 Pro, so no chance that something with a fit for P20 will fit a Pro1)

But apart from that, with over experiments we are applying something intended for another device. So it COULD be that the extra tolerance/slack in one case over another can make them both sit perfect (though more or less tight) on the intended device. Yet they could be too tight or too loose for he Pro1.

Though the dimensions are similar, they are not identical, nor are the profile of the sides. So if you do not have access to the intended device, I would say returning for not fitting a Pro1 is really unfair, they never claimed it would. By returning someone else is going to pay the shipping expenses for our experiments.

@EskeRahn and I were both responding at the same time, if I had seen his post first, I would have just replied.... "What he said." 😁

Edited by Polaris
  • Haha 1
Just now, Polaris said:

Understood, but that's not to say that the 2-piece wouldn't have fit on an actual P20 model for which it was designed (especially possible due to manufacturing tolerances).  However, if the fit was incorrect for that specific application then I wouldn't have any problem with them paying the return shipping.

K is a cool letter, but sometimes I don't want the other 25 letters (of the English alphabet) to feel left out. 😁  Plus, it's kinda fun discussing something other than the phone itself. 😂

Or if one is ordered for a "P20" without the "pro", that has no chance of a fit....

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Understood. I won't return it.

Next up:

https://www.amazon.com/Moozy-360-Degree-Case-Huawei/dp/B07P5N97LG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=silicone+full+body+p20+pro&qid=1580743702&sr=8-5

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sequestris said:

I merged the threads...

See about 6-7 hours back where we were looking at these double-cases, what is important for us is whether the display part goes over or under the bottom part.

• Like 1

@Everyone:
K 😁

These are the product dimensions listed: 7.8 x 4.2 x 0.4 inches (the case I was planning to return)
It is not. It's not even close. Looks like 5.4. A P20 has a screen of 5.8
So even if I DID have a P20, it would NOT fit, and the description was inaccurate, therefore I think returnworthy.

16 minutes ago, sequestris said:

@Everyone:
K 😁

These are the product dimensions listed: 7.8 x 4.2 x 0.4 inches (the case I was planning to return)
It is not. It's not even close. Looks like 5.4. A P20 has a screen of 5.8
So even if I DID have a P20, it would NOT fit, and the description was inaccurate, therefore I think returnworthy.

Let us straighten things out. the dimension you are giving is the OUTER dimensions.

Is the case you bought listed as intended for

a "P20" that is 149.1 x 70.8 x 7.7 mm (5.87 x 2.79 x 0.30 in) 

or

a "P20 PRO" that is 155 x 73.9 x 7.8 mm (6.10 x 2.91 x 0.31 in)

see this

56 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Let us straighten things out. the dimension you are giving is the OUTER dimensions.

Is the case you bought listed as intended for

a "P20" that is 149.1 x 70.8 x 7.7 mm (5.87 x 2.79 x 0.30 in) 

or

a "P20 PRO" that is 155 x 73.9 x 7.8 mm (6.10 x 2.91 x 0.31 in)

see this

The 2nd one

On 1/31/2020 at 8:41 AM, sequestris said:

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Could be that they confused the model and sent it for e.g. a P20, and if so you obviously should return it.

Hold on here!  Not to make trouble, but the link that @sequestris posted about this case (see above, isn't this the one?), clearly states it's for a P20 and not a P20 Pro.  I think the err falls on us and not Amazon.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?