Jump to content

Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Polaris said:

 

 

Hold on here!  Not to make trouble, but the link that @sequestris posted about this case (see above, isn't this the one?), clearly states it's for a P20 and not a P20 Pro.  I think the err falls on us and not Amazon.

 

 

 

Yes, but I did the ask a question thing and they assured me it was for the Pro.
And look at the order details.

fxtec Pro case.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Posted Images

I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-P20-Pro-Snakehive-Handmade/dp/B07DFM6HX9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=snakehive%2Bhuawei%2Bp20%2Bpro&qid=1580840514&sr=8-1&th=1

A little work with a hole punch and an X-acto knife on the TPU part made it a perfect fit.  Not necessary to cut the leather at all.  I did have to shoehorn it on with a non-marking spudger.

Pro1.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sequestris said:

Yes, but I did the ask a question thing and they assured me it was for the Pro.
And look at the order details.

That description is very different than the link, but regardless, I stand corrected, and say "return away!"  😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cfeltych said:

I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-P20-Pro-Snakehive-Handmade/dp/B07DFM6HX9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=snakehive%2Bhuawei%2Bp20%2Bpro&qid=1580840514&sr=8-1&th=1

A little work with a hole punch and an X-acto knife on the TPU part made it a perfect fit.  Not necessary to cut the leather at all.  I did have to shoehorn it on with a non-marking spudger.

You might want to consider two small holes in the leather. One for the secondary mic on the back near the cameras, and one for the notification LED.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a black carbon fiber skin from Skinomi for the Note 10, and the back piece is a pretty good fit. The camera and sensor holes are in the right place, although quite a bit larger than they need to be. I filled in some of the gap using other pieces from the kit. I also clipped the corners on the skin, much more than I needed to it turns out, but overall I'm pleased with the result. It looks nice, and it definitely makes the device much more "grippy" to hold.

pro1-skinomi.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wilhelmfitzpatrick said:

I got a black carbon fiber skin from Skinomi for the Note 10, and the back piece is a pretty good fit. The camera and sensor holes are in the right place, although quite a bit larger than they need to be. I filled in some of the gap using other pieces from the kit. I also clipped the corners on the skin, much more than I needed to it turns out, but overall I'm pleased with the result. It looks nice, and it definitely makes the device much more "grippy" to hold.

 

Can you shoot us a link to where you got it from?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Me: "I am so sick of this damned thing slipping out of my hand every time I pick it up.
Hubby: "What do you want? Just something that will give you some grip?"
Me: "Yes, but I don't want anything permanent. I want something that will come off cleanly with no residue."
Hubby: "Are you looking for practical or pretty?"
Me: "Functional. I don't care what it looks like."
Hubby: "Let me work..."

So I give you generic Ruggies and a perfect tactile grip that comes off clean, low profile, doesn't make the phone heat up..
And I am pretty sure with it looking like this NO ONE will be interested in taking my phone :D

IMG_20200205_092857.jpg

IMG_20200205_092840.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Me: "I am so sick of this damned thing slipping out of my hand every time I pick it up.
Hubby: "What do you want? Just something that will give you some grip?"
Me: "Yes, but I don't want anything permanent. I want something that will come off cleanly with no residue."
Hubby: "Are you looking for practical or pretty?"
Me: "Functional. I don't care what it looks like."
Hubby: "Let me work..."

So I give you generic Ruggies and a perfect tactile grip that comes off clean, low profile, doesn't make the phone heat up..
And I am pretty sure with it looking like this NO ONE will be interested in taking my phone 😄

This works perfect https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183819340473

After a few mods, see the second shell here

For some reason they do not ship to the US, but I'm sure you can find something similar. e.g this on amazon

I'm a little worried about the "P20 Pro (2018)" in the last listing, does this mean there are even more variants to confuse us out there????

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

For some reason they do not ship to the US, but I'm sure you can find something similar. e.g this on amazon

I'm a little worried about the "P20 Pro (2018)" in the last listing, does this mean there are even more variants to confuse us out there????

....I guess this is more your style, as you can have it both red and pink....

image.png.92b78245e69df1308038f340356c08ed.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

This works perfect https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183819340473

After a few mods, see the second shell here

For some reason they do not ship to the US, but I'm sure you can find something similar. e.g this on amazon

I'm a little worried about the "P20 Pro (2018)" in the last listing, does this mean there are even more variants to confuse us out there????

I'm just waiting to come across the P20 Ultra and P20+ or P20 Extreme Ultra XL Plus Pro :/

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

See above pics. 

1. Cut finger reader slot.

2. Volume cut little section out, slightly under case but works.

3. Power and Camera buttons are covered and work. 

4. USB cut out

5. Top side (left) speaker cut out from existing hole

6. Hole punched with 'belt hole maker' near camera for secondary mic (needed to cancel echo on speaker phone.

7. Cut plastic holder from case and spun 180 degrees, need to open case to use camera. 

8. Cut card slips from inner case.

9. Kept headphone hole covered to keep dust out. Don't use headphones.

Picked up from local phone case shop to suit P20 Pro. Closes magnetically and well. The covered camera, headphone port, camera button and power button is great to protect from dust in an Australian mining environment. 

Edited by ahunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ahunter said:

Picked up from local phone case shop to suit P20 Pro. Closes magnetically and well. The covered camera, headphone port, camera button and power button is great to protect from dust in an Australian mining environment. 

Nice 🙂

You might add a number 9 for adjusting/extending the hole for the 3.5mm plug.

IMG_20200206_112133~01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, EskeRahn said:

HOLD it, it is their search-function that show wrong results!!!!! So it is NOT for the Elephone U Pro  🙄😫

http://www.mycaseshop.de/epages/64909749.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64909749/Categories/Elephone/Elephone_U__U_Pro

It is a generic case fitting many, and the images are misleading too... Hmm will try to find it somewhere else!!

Just ordered one, and we will see if/how it fits....

This generic flip cover will work in either direction you prefer, with no modifications at all, well if you want to use it the Nippon-book style, so the flap is behind the screen opened, you would like to cut a tiny corner that would interfere with the flash.

It is quite thin, so might not give that much drop-protection, on the other hand, it does not add much to the thickness. It will take scratches and scuffs in say a bag or pocket though.

726443671_IMG_20200206_11344501.thumb.jpg.d9dac72cb36f72629cb9f9718c6377e6.jpg

1379151111_IMG_20200206_11351101.thumb.jpg.1206fa0bf9b2e5a448f98e0ab80facc5.jpg

1427585371_IMG_20200206_11360701.thumb.jpg.2dea9d5e34271bbed90a3e7db02fcc6b.jpg

768822723_IMG_20200206_11551501.thumb.jpg.ebb54d9f2caed75b6548c04dedbc2854.jpg

Note that I have not actually used the adhesive to put it on, just put it in loose for the photo (and just leaning on a white random box)

 

Ideas:

You might want to make holes for the secondary microphone and/or the notification LED
If used Nippon-style and you want to use it closed for calls, you could also add a hole for the earpiece.
You might consider making a hole for the back LED, so you can use the torch even if the flip is not open.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also got this in the post today.

It is a bit glossy for my taste, so am not going to use it, It is also a quite tight fit, so I hope some of the other ones I ordered has a better fit.

(I have not bothered to either cut, or rotate the inner shell, though I did cut out the card-holder to get it less tight)

IMG_20200206_121804~01.jpg

IMG_20200206_122457~01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 7:38 PM, cfeltych said:

I'm using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-P20-Pro-Snakehive-Handmade/dp/B07DFM6HX9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=snakehive%2Bhuawei%2Bp20%2Bpro&qid=1580840514&sr=8-1&th=1

A little work with a hole punch and an X-acto knife on the TPU part made it a perfect fit.  Not necessary to cut the leather at all.  I did have to shoehorn it on with a non-marking spudger.

Pro1.jpg

would you mind posting some pics from different angles, and with the flap closed?

 

thanks

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...How well would a 3D printed holder go inside one of those leather cases?

That way all you need to do is punch holes for the indicator LED, second speaker and rear mic.

...Any updates on your 3D printed case @Bloodhoundje?

I guess it much depends on the case chosen versus the material thickness, The cheap fake-leather ones I've used have fits using up all the original slack. The glossy leather one I tried today has very little slack and is a tight fit, the magnet just holding, so here it could easily be an issue if too thick. The no-modifications thing I also tried today can be wrapped around the Pro1 even if placed in a shell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice 🙂

You might add a number 9 for adjusting/extending the hole for the 3.5mm plug.

IMG_20200206_112133~01.jpg

I intentionally left it covered. I hardly ever use the headpone jack and it is usually the first place to fill with crud. I usually fill the hole with a "Pressy" android button. edited 9. in original post

images (2).jpeg

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms