Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm primarily looking at feasibility. As they dismissed the hard case as a hopeless project, I want to see how good we can get it with standard components. I mean I'm not going to use say £2-300 on a custom designed leather case, that then proves to be so useless in real usage, that it ends in the bottom of a drawer.
But if we can get something good DIY, then we know for sure a professional custom made could be good too.

The first attempt works reasonable, but until I get some tape or the like not on the fingerprint.

When they said they will provide only a sleeve, I have instantly bought some rubber cases in a hope I can modify it.
As I didn't really know its exact dimensions, I bought cases for the U Pro - I thought the same display may have similar physical size. The reasons of more cases (from different sellers) was the chance of getting one relatively soon... otherwise, I don't know if it should work at all...

(I was really angry that time anyway...)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

22 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If anyone is able to find something like this on the USA Amazon site, please post.  I searched around and couldn't find something like it.  More Note 8 and Note 9 cases and cases for a Note 7 by a different company (not Samsung).

1 hour ago, david said:

If anyone is able to find something like this on the USA Amazon site, please post.  I searched around and couldn't find something like it.  More Note 8 and Note 9 cases and cases for a Note 7 by a different company (not Samsung).

You should consider some of the Huawei/Honor alternatives also, as the camera holes on the back matches better.

24 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You should consider some of the Huawei/Honor alternatives also, as the camera holes on the back matches better.

When will the Master Tester be testing those?  *grins*

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

When the Post Master will deliver them 😉

<refrains from comments about private delivery services>

I'll await your comparison of all these options!  Thanks for the hint about the camera opening in the case too. I wondered how that matched up with these cases.

10 hours ago, Hook said:

I drink coffee black and put no cases on my phones (my front left pants pocket is the "case)."  Life is so much simpler. 😉

As you will find out, it is really hard to operate the PRO1 while it is in a pocket of some pants.... so a pocket is an alternative to a sleeve, not a case.

And on the coffee thing, just eat the beans and drink the water, much simpler 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
On 11/9/2019 at 10:50 PM, EskeRahn said:

When the Post Master will deliver them 😉

....And the first nine are in, will try to find time to test later.

251638208_IMG_20191113_092926_HDR01.thumb.jpg.4c1ca86c3df692a25feee1faf88c5e55.jpg

But here the preproduction unit slipped into an unmodified Note7 flip-case, before cutting holes.

Even the closing mechanism works!! Though it is 3cm at the very widest over clasp

IMG_20191113_094024_HDR~01.jpg

IMG_20191113_094041_HDR~01.jpg

IMG_20191113_094659_HDR~01.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @EskeRahn!  It looks like Note 7 cases are the best fit.  I wish there were more of them available in the USA.  I'll have to check out ebay here to see what is available.  I couldn't find them on Amazon.

27 minutes ago, david said:

Thanks @EskeRahn!  It looks like Note 7 cases are the best fit.  I wish there were more of them available in the USA.  I'll have to check out ebay here to see what is available.  I couldn't find them on Amazon.

Try "Note FE" also. Identical dimensions. e.g. this to $7

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Try "Note FE" also. Identical dimensions. e.g. this to $7

Thanks for that tip on the other model name.  "Note 7" produces a lot of false positives, because other companies have "borrowed" the name.  I've started including "samsung" in the search terms to counter this.

I'm not a flip case type of guy, but thanks for the link to that one.  I appreciate it.  For someone who does like those cases, that seems like a nicely priced solution.

I do have a question about flip cases.  How is the phone held in place?  Update:  Nevermind.  I figured it out.  I was wondering why you had one of the other cases on the bottom of the phone while it was in the flip case in your offsite review.  Now I know that is part of the case.  I guess I figured the flip cases were taking the easy way out by not having to provide that wrap around bottom case part and were using velcro/tape to hold the phone in places.  Good that it has extra protection on the bottom part too.

I did find a number of cases on the USA ebay site.  Rather than post them all here, the search terms I used were:

samsung "note 7" case

The quotes around "note 7" are important, as there are a lot of postings that are for S7 phones and other Note phones.

I'm going to order a few.

Edited by david
  • Like 1

I couldn't resist posting this one from the USA ebay site:

SAMSUNG LED Wallet Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 7/Note FE EF-NN930PBEGUS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-LED-Wallet-Cover-Case-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-Note-FE-EF-NN930PBEGUS/143430310894?hash=item21651cdbee:g:m~IAAOSwaShdvd3b:sc:USPSFirstClass!55025!US!-1

s-l1600.jpg

That's a flip case with a built in LED clock.  😄

30 minutes ago, david said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-LED-Wallet-Cover-Case-for-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-Note-FE-EF-NN930PBEGUS/143430310894?hash=item21651cdbee:g:m~IAAOSwaShdvd3b:sc:USPSFirstClass!55025!US!-1

s-l1600.jpg

Looks interesting, going to check it out a bit.

21 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

hmm, that would render it useless. And I found out its weight is ~80g which would be too much for me. I guess the other cases are lighter ?

The 'leather' flip case is about 65g, the simplest clear cases about 20g

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

The 'leather' flip case is about 65g, the simplest clear cases about 20g

ok, then its not a big difference.

did you just cut holes in the cases to fit them or did you have to do other things ?

guess I'll get one of the flip covers for a start

39 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

ok, then its not a big difference.

did you just cut holes in the cases to fit them or did you have to do other things ?

guess I'll get one of the flip covers for a start

Yes, as I wrote here:

1. Hole for the USB-C
  2. Hole for the fingerprint sensor
  3. Hole for the 3.5mm Jack
  4. Hole for the rear camera arrangement, Inner only
  5. Optional a bend of the top cardboard gives a better fit
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, vlycop said:

from what i see with the flipcase, it look like a viable solution. do you think fxtec could have made it ? or is there an obvious drawback i'm not seeing ?

The access to the fingerprint is clearly impaired, but not so much that it prevents the usage. But you definitely do not risk triggering it inadvertently...
ADD: See comment below, I later modified the flip case with a wider opening, and the problem is gone

And it completely destroys the aesthetics of the cool looking Pro1, by both hiding the sleek back, and having the bottom half thicker than the upper (this goes for flip and simple a like).

So sure they could have done it, but I'm also sure a lot would have complained of the look and feel of the result...

On the other hand if you go for a clean "Function is key", you might want the extra protection paying the 'price' of these issues.

It was a positive surprise that no end-bands were needed. I had expected that they were.

Add: (Updated the blog post to include this, so not vlycop that did not read 😜 )

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, david said:

It's just the phone screen displaying the clock through the case I thought?

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?