Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

I know what the proximity sensor is ...

BUT they just MIGHT be exposing these two Hall sensors as "TYPE_PROXIMITY" (Note: TYPE), The reason to believe so is the binary type output we see in the FactoryKit test-program. And if you are looking for it as a TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD sensor, no wonder you can not find it.

I was going through all sensors in that app mentioned above and did not find it. Maybe I missed it somhow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Slion said:

I was going through all sensors in that app mentioned above and did not find it. Maybe I missed it somhow.

The list in Quicom's "Device Info" seems longer (50 sensors), But it does not seem to appear there either. It could be the one five from the bottom with the long name "BU52061NVX ROHM_HALL_EFFECT", but it does not show the readout from the sensor. So hard to say if that is the one

See this

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Slion said:

BUS52061 is the keyboard open/close.

But maybe I should take a closer look at it to see if it also provides the case state somehow. Worth a try I guess.

I know nothing on the interior of Android, but could the API return an ARRAY with values for the two sensors?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Slion said:

BUS52061 is the keyboard open/close.

But maybe I should take a closer look at it to see if it also provides the case state somehow. Worth a try I guess.

Maybe this code sample from here can be modified to a more general list, of course of different type and the firstOrNull should obviously be replaced with some loop

private lateinit var sensorManager: SensorManager
private var mSensor: Sensor? = null

sensorManager = getSystemService(Context.SENSOR_SERVICE) as SensorManager

if (sensorManager.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_GRAVITY) != null) {
    val gravSensors: List<Sensor> = sensorManager.getSensorList(Sensor.TYPE_GRAVITY)
    // Use the version 3 gravity sensor.
    mSensor = gravSensors.firstOrNull { it.vendor.contains("Google LLC") && it.version == 3 }
}

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Slion said:

@SaiKo Any noticeable impact on battery life when using WaveUp on your Pro1?

i'd say hardly noticeable but frankly i don't notice any difference at all.

the pro1 doesn't seem to have the wake lock issue, battery drain is nearly 0.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Slion said:

4 hours ago, Raafu1 said:

Also getting the magnet to line up perfectly with the hall sensor needed a few tries.

Yes that was tricky too but once you get it right it works flawlesly.

I tried to make a little help-file, to show at 100%...

Pro1_Hall_Sensor_Top.png

ADD Sigh, the forum shrinks the image ... Here the full file: https://eskerahn.dk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Pro1_Hall_Sensor_Top.png

It is roughly 300 pixel from the top and 200 from the Right (refferenced in portrait)

Note that the orientation of the magnet matters, so you might need to turn it around back to front

• Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I got a new case with the post this morning, that has an even better fit than the previous ones. And with strengthened corners too, also note that the lower parts of the sides has matted edges.

I like those with the extra protection on the corners.  Which model phone did you pick in the listing?

7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I got a new case with the post this morning, that has an even better fit than the previous ones. And with strengthened corners too, also note that the lower parts of the sides has matted edges.

1195404364_IMG_20200401_08384001.thumb.jpg.b0d1e6741adf43db240c21e3b5aefc66.jpg

Looks a lot like that CoverON branded case that I'm using.  Corners are same and I've got the matted / textured long sides

6 minutes ago, KingOfTerrible said:

Looks a lot like that CoverON branded case that I'm using.  Corners are same and I've got the matted / textured long sides

Could be, I have no idea. Here is before unpacking

1385782829_IMG_20200401_16520801.thumb.jpg.ea5577f72cdee75d08ceb04f24fd69af.jpg

My packaging is different and it also has the name printed on a sport on the bottom side.  But it could still be pumped out of the same factory in China.  It wouldn't be the first time I've seen items which are exactly the same with different names printed on them / different packaging.

Based on some models and ideas presented in this thread, I made a new leather flip case for this phone. Each side is reinforced with thin plate of fiberglass. The phone is tied to the cover with 2 pieces of rubber. There is 4 small magnets to keep the cover properly closed.

photo_2020-04-04_12-32-28.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_12-32-09.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_12-33-09.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_12-46-37.jpg

photo_2020-04-04_12-46-51.jpg

• Like 9
On 4/1/2020 at 2:32 AM, EskeRahn said:

The link should include the "Var": Huawei P20 Pro

Thanks.  I ordered a couple from the USA site.  Free shipping, but coming from China, so will take a month.  For anyone else interested, I picked P20 Pro from the list:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shockproof-Crystal-Clear-Soft-Silicone-Bumper-Case-Cover-For-Huawei-P30-Pro-Lite-/254181243108

1 hour ago, david said:

Thanks.  I ordered a couple from the USA site.  Free shipping, but coming from China, so will take a month.  For anyone else interested, I picked P20 Pro from the list:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shockproof-Crystal-Clear-Soft-Silicone-Bumper-Case-Cover-For-Huawei-P30-Pro-Lite-/254181243108

With ebay itm links you can just change the domain to your preferred local one. I expect to swap .co.uk wih .ie before new year. Unless the current situation further delays brexit. Not all work equally wel on all variants though. The Irish one seems to not offer the basket option the same way the UK one does - minor detail though.

21 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

With ebay itm links you can just change the domain to your preferred local one. I expect to swap .co.uk wih .ie before new year. Unless the current situation further delays brexit. Not all work equally wel on all variants though. The Irish one seems to not offer the basket option the same way the UK one does - minor detail though.

How does that work when the product isn't listed in the target country's ebay?

6 hours ago, david said:

How does that work when the product isn't listed in the target country's ebay?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, have you got an example?

Here an example with different domains

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254181243108?var=553543447253
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254181243108?var=553543447253
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/254181243108?var=553543447253
https://www.ebay.de/itm/254181243108?var=553543447253
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/254181243108?var=553543447253

PS, note the the price is NOT the same sent to the same place for the five, the .de and .fr are the cheapest...

@david: Some sellers, say, in the US, only sell in the US, only ship within the US. Those items won't turn up in an ebay search in another country's ebay. If you have the item number, though, and construct a link with it like @EskeRahn did, they'll appear in that other country's ebay, too. You still won't be able to buy the item, though, if the seller doesn't want you to.

(I wanted to buy excactly such an item a few weeks ago, the only sample that I found in all the world's ebays, but the seller, who wasn't publishing any contact details, didn't even accept messages from other countries through ebay's messaging system, so I couldn't even ask if they'd make an exception, maybe if I'd add a premium to the price... Shortly after that I was lucky, though, to find another sample of the rare item here in Europe and outside of ebay, allowing me to increase a small retailer's sales by a tiny little bit who's located in the heavily Corona-inflicted northern part of Italy...)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

@david: Some sellers, say, in the US, only sell in the US, only ship within the US. Those items won't turn up in an ebay search in another country's ebay. If you have the item number, though, and construct a link with it like @EskeRahn did, they'll appear in that other country's ebay, too. You still won't be able to buy the item, though, if the seller doesn't want you to.

Yeah, I realized that a while after posting and forgot to update it.  I thought it would mean the product was somehow posted on each target country's ebay site, which was not my experience, hence the question.  I am guessing it is more common to buy between geographically close countries over in europe.  Over here, although I don't spend a lot of time on the UK ebay site, I haven't found any products that would actually be shipped from there to here.  I guess in the case of a china based product showing up on the UK site, @EskeRahn's method could work for someone wanting to to get it in the USA, since it is being shipped from a location far from each country, and if it is being shipped to one, then they will probably ship it to the other too.

7 hours ago, david said:

See my reply to @Rob. S., explaining. 🙂

Well my MAIN reason to want to use .ie over .co.uk after brexit is one small tick/box in the search options that are like to disappear, depending on the final agreement..

image.png.d5a351f3a6eb467087217c886ec91228.png to image.png.c9f749a57d781ff24b13122c5a560260.png

To avoid customs issues, and still have it in English.

Others might prefer e.g. .de or .fr to have the ebay part of the text in their native tongue. 🙂 (the listing would still have the language the seller choose, obviously)

There are NO guarantee that an international seller ships to a specific country BUT an easy filter to use is this sort option:

image.png.dfe5a9fd029a533903196d9224396863.png

As those that might or might not send, would then be pushed to the bottom of the search results with a text like:

image.png.674d324f4706ef0636e50f7762a74dce.png

This does NOT always mean that they do NOT send, merely that they haven't specified the price, so I only use those if I can not find a competitor with a competitive price for the product, and if so ask for a shipping price.

PS:

If you do a broad search with many result you are likely to get this at the top of the listing

image.png.cd12889b53d31cf7f7389161db76b5a9.png

In reality you will ALWAYS want to click this when ever you see it!!! Though their filter might remove some of the irrelevant stuff, it more often than not removes the best and most relevant offers too!!!!

Generally ebay's grip in what is relevant is SUPER bad, they most often suggest totally irrelevant stuff as related
Searching for a USB-stick with write protection with "128gb write (protect, protected, protection)",  the 'related' suggested was this... 🙄

image.thumb.png.737c28e9a1577bf83f0fd2a4464e9fc7.png

And if I try to simplify to "128gb write protection" I get this (with at the least one related):

image.thumb.png.428838f48a27a5a6be68ff611b44046c.png

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

There are NO guarantee that an international seller ships to a specific country BUT an easy filter to use is this sort option:

I bow to your powerful ebay sorcery magic. 😄

• Haha 2
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?