• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had so much fun making game grippers ~10years ago. I'd be open to making some for the pro1. One problem is I live in the USA and this seems to be primarily an EU phone. I'd probably need to track do

I think they are very very busy getting things out these day, so might be slow in replying. If there are any specific measurements or photos you want me to take, I could try on the "Final Sample"

So now key-chording/rollover works in Sailfish, Lineage, and finally stock with yesterdays OTA!   I want my game gripper 😉

Posted Images

On 10/24/2019 at 8:40 PM, Hyrum said:

I had so much fun making game grippers ~10years ago. I'd be open to making some for the pro1. One problem is I live in the USA and this seems to be primarily an EU phone. I'd probably need to track down my old EU partner or even better if fxtec would distribute them.

I tried connecting with those guys on LinkedIn about the pro1 but no reply. 

For a little history, the game gripper came before we had decent Bluetooth game pads. Once they stopped making high end phones with slide out keyboards the game gripper stopped selling and I went back to work.

-Hyrum

On 11/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, netman said:

Since time of release is really near, I am wondering if @Waxberry has noticed @Hyrum (creator of the Game Gripper) attempting to contact him? I'm sure there are quite a few people who would love a Game Gripper for the Pro1 :).

count me in if this gets made.

Edited by SaiKo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Keyahnig said:

I'd definitely get one too.

But I don't really see where you'd put a D-pad since the keyboard isn't ortholinear. It's either gonna be very narrow, very wide or asymmetric which might be a little awkward to use.

Well, t does not entirely follow the standard qwerty staggering. The first and third letter rows are aligned, and the second close to a half key displaced, so actually it is almost perfect for a D-dad.

Below the subtle displacements it would require to turn it into standard, keeping the lower letter row fixed. But for a D-pad that would be worse....

OnPro1Staggering.png

3 hours ago, silversolver said:

@ken5457 Is this photo editing or have you really acquired/created these bits of mad genius??! That is super-slick either way!

941212693__20191121110143.thumb.jpg.c8e93b702b19911c224a68878afee7b6.jpg

1296586758_fx-tec-pro-1--.thumb.jpg.e8ab4997fdc0b4d383edaa8d60ddf4c9.jpg

I designed the gamepad panel for fx pro1,currently only photo editing,because I don't have this phone.

Maybe one day I got this phone and I will turn it into reality, just like on other phones,sk17i,BlackBerry keyone,priv,etc.

fx pro1 has great potential to become a game phone.

722437889__20191121110058_.thumb.jpg.50e86a78ada53903621b15fe15790386.jpg

1929454122__20181127131641.thumb.jpg.b2172e60aef05e84f1b918a30c8dfb8d.jpg1944185146__20181127131644.thumb.jpg.750cef5c375273dbfd602e5dc301e2ee.jpg

97308902__20191121110134.thumb.jpg.114127bb0c179259cfd365df76370883.jpg

• Thanks 2

While that's cool and all, did those ever go anywhere? This thread is about the Game Gripper, a proven concept, people wish to be able to easily buy at some point.
Your stuff also looks like it's using parts from console/controllers and is a permanent modification of the keyboard. I assume most people are looking for something to just put on sometimes instead.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, elvissteinjr said:

While that's cool and all, did those ever go anywhere? This thread is about the Game Gripper, a proven concept, people wish to be able to easily buy at some point.
Your stuff also looks like it's using parts from console/controllers and is a permanent modification of the keyboard. I assume most people are looking for something to just put on sometimes instead.

Nah, you just buy ten Pro1s, and modify the nine with various DIY keyboard-replacements. I'm sure F(x)Tec would be very happy if a lot did that.... 😜

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if this was mentioned, but it is now possible to use simultaneous key presses (chording) on the Pro¹ using @netman's custom kernel. It is already included in SFOS, and might be included in future updates for stock Android. Not being able to chord keys was the most important limitation to overcome before a Game gripper could be useful at all. Now I see nothing really hindering the possibility of a Pro¹ Game gripper.

WASZ are what I am currently using if I need a D-pad (I don't play on my phone usually, but would still be interested in a game gripper just in case), works great in Supertux 2 for instance, but it does not allow slant directions inputs easily. I believe their alignement on the Pro¹, as shown by @EskeRahn above, make them good candidates for a Game gripper D-pad. On the right hand side of the QWERTY keyboard, <, >,  make a perfect grid of 8-key, so I guess that's plenty Up, Shift, Yellow, Left, Down and Right. It could even be extended to 10 keys with M and Ctrl. The leftmost keys would be a bit too far to actually be usable, however, in a 10-key grid organized in just two rows.

Edited by matf
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing I've found is my hand does get cramped playing retro console games for sure.  Especially when I have to hold in a key pretty much the whole game, like the gas pedal on supertuxkart.  I've tried to figure out the most comfortable place to hold but it doesnt seem to matter.

Plus, on games with 4 way controls, it isn't comfortable.  I typically use QW3A as my left/right/up/down and it just isn't right.    For side scroller games with occasional up/down its okay, but when I regularly have to up-down like 3-d mario it's annoying.

I really want gamegripper @Hyrum

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 5:00 AM, silversolver said:

Two years later....BUMP! I guess this didn't happen, but if @Hyrum is still around, there are a lot of people who now own these things, and X variants heading out soon. Show of hands....who's still interested?

hand! i feel like we'll have more eyes on this once the pro1x's go out 🙂