[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:06 AM, EskeRahn said:

Ah I see, well no imei, so.... (being super optimistic i gave it an active sim, but as it can not use it, it made no difference)

Tried on another Pro1. Automatic update of the time works, if it got a cellular connection. You have to select manual first to set the time-zone, but you can not set the time/date manually, but automatic works.

I was a little surprised to see their store, with so few apps and so few downloads. How many sailfish devices are active 10K?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

2 hours ago, _DW_ said:

In another thread it was mentioned that Qualcom chips don't have a RTC so it has to get it from a NTP server or the Cellular network.

Well the problem here is that the current Sailfish build allows you to select and accept both date and time, but the entered values are immediately ignored and replaced by the old date and time. So either this option should be removed, and it should use a NTP-server OR it should be repaired.

Obviously the optimal would be that the "Automatic update" could use EITHER the cellular time stamp OR a NTP-server.

But do not get me wrong, as it will be rare that people flash sailfish without access to cellular net. Once it has been initialized correctly, you can remove the SIM, and the clock works fine. (Even if you select to power down the phone for a period). You will not be allowed to manually adjust it though, you can only change the time-zone.

So a very minor bug - it just makes sailfish unusable on my PreProd unit that does not do cellular.

Another minor bug

I tried to turn off the PIN-code requirement on SIM card1, it says the PIN code entered is wrong. But most likely never checks, as the number of remaining retries is not reduced. I tried four times in a row (and the limit is three)...

I then tried to move the card to SIM slot 2, and here I AM allowed to remove the pin request!

I then moved it back to SIM slot 1, set it to Require Pin, and after that to not require, and this time I was allowed!

I then set it back to Require, removed the SIM, booted without SIM, Inserted SIM and booted again, and am still allowed to remove PIN! So can not easily bring it back to the bad state again.

Sailfish was installed with the SIM in slot 1, and I entered the PIN every time requested, it was because I was tired of this I tried to turn it off.

Several times (on two different hardware installs) I have seen that it suddenly stops charging while idle, still providing power though, but very little (less than 100mA).

Unplugging and plugging again, and the charging continues (using a slow charger capping around 5W to be kind to the battery).
As I use a magnetic plug cable (that works fine with both std Android and Lineage on same devices), it is fairly easy just to to lift the plug so it releases and let it snap back on (when I see the current on the meter has gone down), and that does the trick.

I have seen the phenomena as low as at 43% and as high as at 84%

19 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I was a little surprised to see their store, with so few apps and so few downloads. How many sailfish devices are active 10K?

There is another appstore for community apps besides the Jolla-account-required-store. use browser to go to openrepos.net and install the storeman app(store).  Some apps are dupes with jolla store, but if so the storeman version is same or newer.

Be aware some apps there are old and dont work with current sfos or current external api calls.  Its easy enough to publish an app, even I did it.  But not all apps are updated/maintained.

But also be aware sfos is linux and has gcc.  You can build apps from source yourself.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Works with current sfos just fine....

OK. But side loading obscure Russian software with 175 positive votes.... Not going to happen.

I have a very strong feeling that the SF is going to be overwritten with LOS as soon as I find the time for it....

Some apps are not well reviewed, whether written by a Russian or not (why does that matter?).  For example I needed svn when I built something.  Subversion had no reviews and no likes and was from 2014.  I didnt expect it to work.  It did.  I made an openrepos account specifically to rate that app.

And again on russians, one of the devs whose made some of the best apps, even before pro1, coderus, im pretty sure is russian.  And now hes got pro1, for example he added pro1 support to his splashscreen app.  I asked him to add keyboard support to his screenrecord app and i expect he will.

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Craig said:

Some apps are not well reviewed, whether written by a Russian or not (why does that matter?).  For example I needed svn when I built something.  Subversion had no reviews and no likes and was from 2014.  I didnt expect it to work.  It did.  I made an openrepos account specifically to rate that app.

And again on russians, one of the devs whose made some of the best apps, even before pro1, coderus, im pretty sure is russian.  And now hes got pro1, for example he added pro1 support to his splashscreen app.  I asked him to add keyboard support to his screenrecord app and i expect he will.

Do not get me wrong, far from all Russian apps are bad. But this could easily get a heated political thing, so let that rest.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:12 PM, Craig said:

I've heard speculation that it is becauses Jolla requires a large fee from Fxtec to support a new device, in addition to the cost of the licenses the user has to buy.   This large fee is because they have to modify specficially for the device.   In our case, it shouldn't be too hard cuz Sony Xperia XA2 is similar enough to leverage most everything - for example the Alien Dalvik (Android support layer) from XA2 has been tested on Pro¹ and works fine for touchscreen, however doesn't work well with hardware keyboard.  So Jolla would have to put development effort into resolving that.  But with the community port working fairly well, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard for them to do it, give one dedicated programmer a week and could be done (in my imagination, anyway).

On my TOH with TOHKBD, the Aliendalvik was working fine with the tohkbd daemon. If the XA2 Aliendalvik package really works with Pro1, but I can't confirm it, it will not be so hard to get the input from the hardware keyboard. It was already done with the first device - TOH. I can install the rpms, but the aliendalvik service is unable to start. Can anyone help me with starting of the aliendalvik service?

[root@Sailfish nemo]# systemctl start aliendalvik        
Job for aliendalvik.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status aliendalvik.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
[root@Sailfish nemo]# systemctl status aliendalvik.service
● aliendalvik.service - Alien Dalvik
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/aliendalvik.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-02-21 22:07:52 EET; 2s ago
  Process: 8605 ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/stop-aliendalvik.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 8046 ExecStart=/usr/bin/start-aliendalvik.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 8043 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/start-aliendalvik-preinit.sh (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
 Main PID: 8046 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 21 22:07:52 Sailfish systemd[1]: Failed to start Alien Dalvik.
Feb 21 22:07:52 Sailfish systemd[1]: aliendalvik.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 21 22:07:52 Sailfish systemd[1]: aliendalvik.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Edited by octane
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, EskeRahn said:

Do not get me wrong, far from all Russian apps are bad. But this could easily get a heated political thing, so let that rest.

I dunno why I'm replying to old stuff, I think I'm trying to stir up trouble, the forums have been so slow lately with people just reporting problems we already know about and eveyrone else just waiting for corona/etc to subdue and fxtec to start shipping again and pushing out OTA updates....

It's not that I doubt the Russian Government may possibly be involved in some cyber hacking stuff etc that may possibly be be harmful to western nations... it's just I don't think ppl publishing apps on openrepos for sfos are very likely to be russian-government-funded-hackers-trying-to-harm-us. As you said, hardly anyone's even using Sailfish, like 10k ppl tops.  And these devs are community members.   And I bet they're just as concerned about russian-govt-sponsored hackers causing havoc on the world as you and I.  Don't think you have anything to worry about community sfos apps from openrepos, other than them not possibly working due to device incompatiblities or broken external apis.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried getting alien dalvik running on the Pro1? I've seen several people buying sailfish x using their license for alien dalvik on non officially supported devices, these for example:
https://together.jolla.com/question/180434/any-legal-way-to-get-alien-dalvik-on-x-compact/
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100193

Sailfish+Android Apps on Pro1 is the most perfect setup I could possibly imagine.

EDIT: Okay, now I've read through the whole thread and I see I'm not the only one who wants this. Isn't anyone already tinkering with this? I have to use my Pro1 as daily driver so I hesitate to just try my own. 😅

Edited by rtuz2th
On 3/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, rtuz2th said:

Has anyone tried getting alien dalvik running on the Pro1? I've seen several people buying sailfish x using their license for alien dalvik on non officially supported devices, these for example:
https://together.jolla.com/question/180434/any-legal-way-to-get-alien-dalvik-on-x-compact/
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100193

Sailfish+Android Apps on Pro1 is the most perfect setup I could possibly imagine.

EDIT: Okay, now I've read through the whole thread and I see I'm not the only one who wants this. Isn't anyone already tinkering with this? I have to use my Pro1 as daily driver so I hesitate to just try my own. 😅

Xperia X Compact is a different story since it's based on the same socket as other Xperia Xs (Snapdragon 650). XA2 are using Snapdragon 630.

As I am not an expert on porting I'm not sure, but as I have understood, the socket is pretty much the most time consuming part of the porting process (i.e. fixing the compability bugs). Alien Davik is however closed source and Jolla has done some tinkering into it for the latest Android kernels. Android support for community devices has been in discussion multiple times, but so far we have not heard anything concrete. Best effort was and idea that some community members would sign an NDA and help Jolla with it, but it had it's own problems as well.

You can always raise the question again in Sailfish community meetups. Next one is coming this week and you can propose topics here (nothing really proposed so far):

https://together.jolla.com/question/54157/sailfishos-open-source-collaboration-meeting-planning/

• Like 1

Current statement by Jolla:

Question: Alien Davik support for community devices (15 min – asked by Sefriol) (Jaymzz, 09:45:59)
Ongoing topic as well. Would Jolla be interested in doing a blog post which would clarify the current situation (What AD and Android support is, what does it consist, how it is licenced) and what could be done by the community (either by some users with NDA or in general, for device specific ports or Android version specific). "Tech and Strategy behind AlienDalvik" or something similar would be really interesting. (Jaymzz, 09:46:10)

Answer:

We are looking for possibilities for providing Android App Support for wider audience. The new Android App Support is more flexible on this sense and allows us to provide it with smaller effort for non official ports as well. As long as the device adaptation full fills certain requirements. This requires still some effort and we are not yet there.
 (Jaymzz, 09:46:28)

Source

• Thanks 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can live without HDMI on SfOS, but I am still waiting for G-apps support O:-) I am happy that things are moving and I am open for some financial support that FxTEC would get official SfOS support which can use google apps 🙂

• Like 2

thats good to hear. never wanted android to have my fingerprint anyways.  but, basically, my question is,  is the wonderful community port ready for daily use?  telephony, web, wifi, etc?  i use another phone for android apps.  i was never able to use sailfish, since they didn't sell to US.  and the phone was kinda outdated when i did find one on ebay.  

I assuming the hdmi out to TV doesn't work?  is that what the hdmi thing is about ?

• Thanks 1

Correct, no hdmi out, to tv or anything else.

But certainly usable for daily use - telephony, web, wifi all fine. Lotta people happily using it.  Imo many apps such as the included browser are really not up to par with other modern mobile apps, but if that bothers you there are solutions.  And if you're already a linux user, you'll like that it's more "linuxy" than Android, repos rpms and make and such.

• Thanks 1