LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

1 hour ago, marmistrz said:

Btw. is it possible to update firmware without reverting to stock?
Can I somehow make a restorable backup with the LineageOS recovery or something else, so that I can go back to test10 if things go wrong? Or will A/B just do the right thing for me?

To my knowledge there are no available firmware layer deeper than what we flash, so it should not matter if you update on stock before going to lineage, it will be wiped. And the process uses both the A & B partition. Flashing the recovery to A, and this then flashes the main image to B (and sets B active)

AFAIK the only problem in stepping backwards is that you USUALLY will have to wipe the user data (some updates are so small that you can step back without wiping though).

As I read it there are very few differences between 12, 13 and 14, so here i think stepping backwards will work smoothly - but I doubt it will work to 10

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jordi said:

Is there a safe way to hide root in LineageOS? Some apps I use require a non-rooted device.

Yes.  I actually wrote the kernel patch to do that, about ... 3 or 4 years ago.  I'll apply that for next build.

The patch works by watching for the su daemon process.  When it is running, everything is normal.  When it is not running, the kernel hides the existence of the su binary -- it cannot be detected with "ls" or "stat" etc. except by root.  So you just disable root before running one of those (annoying and broken) apps.

• Thanks 6

I think I have flashed all the available updates to stock before flashing Lineage. Btw. is it possible to update firmware without reverting to stock?
Can I somehow make a restorable backup with the LineageOS recovery or something else, so that I can go back to test10 if things go wrong? Or will A/B just do the right thing for me?

I can't find the option in the LOS recovery. Is the TWRP from some different thread compatible with LineageOS? (there's no separate recovery in system-as-root, that's why I'm asking)

It is possible to update firmware without going back to stock.  It requires one person (me, most likely) to flash the stock update, copy the firmware partitions, and make a flashable zip.

The only way to make a backup of userdata right now is to make a copy of your userdata image (eg. using "dd").  When a decrypting TWRP is available, that will be a much nicer way.  But yes, you should also be able to use the A/B system to try different test builds.

You are correct, TWRP for system-as-root devices should install by injection into the boot partition instead of a partition image.  I don't know if the existing Pro1 TWRP does that or not.

I'm still not sure: if I update test10 to test14 through the LOS recovery & sideload (without fastboot) and test14 doesn't boot, will A/B take revert me back to test10?

Well, my hope was on that too, when I tried to upgrade my test11 to test12 or test13 but the test12 or test13 just did not boot and system was reverted to recovery instead of booting to functional test11...

Edited by acrux

test15 is up.  Changes:

* Fix QWERTZ apostrophe (really!)

* Back out noise rejection bits from DT2W patch

* Add su-hide patch

Please test.  Particularly those that have had issues with the screen failing to turn on after sleep.  I would like to know if this fixes the issue or not.  If it does not, I'll need to play with the noise rejection stuff and see if I can fix the issue without the visual artifacts on my device.

• Thanks 5
2 minutes ago, tdm said:

test15 is up.  Changes:

* Fix QWERTZ apostrophe (really!)

* Back out noise rejection bits from DT2W patch

* Add su-hide patch

Please test.  Particularly those that have had issues with the screen failing to turn on after sleep.  I would like to know if this fixes the issue or not.  If it does not, I'll need to play with the noise rejection stuff and see if I can fix the issue without the visual artifacts on my device.

Is the su-hide patch opt-in/opt-out? I have absolutely no reason to hide su from any of my apps and this sounds like something that could break some apps really needing su.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, tdm said:

test14 is up.  Changes:

* Fix QWERTZ apostrophe.

* Disable double tap to wake.

Pro1 was reverted to stock using fastboot method published here. First boot went to the stock recovery asking to format/wipe data. After doing that stock booted to android initial setup screen. Switced the Pro1 off.

Followed carefully the test14 install procedure. Result as with test12 - test13 - very long startup animation and then rebooted to recovery screen offering only either to continue or to wipe system data. Tried both with no results.

recovery_sideload.log

Additional information: test11 installed and booted just fine.

Edited by acrux
2 hours ago, marmistrz said:

Is the su-hide patch opt-in/opt-out? I have absolutely no reason to hide su from any of my apps and this sounds like something that could break some apps really needing su.

No, it is not opt-in/opt-out.  But it does not break anything either.  It works like this:

If root access is enabled for apps in settings, the patch does nothing -- su works normally.

If root access is disabled for apps in settings, the su binary (/system/xbin/su) disappears.  You cannot see it with "ls" or "stat", it cannot be run, etc.  It simply does not exist.

Note that root access for adb still works in both cases, as it does not use the su binary.

Edited by tdm
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, acrux said:

Pro1 was reverted to stock using fastboot method published here. First boot went to the stock recovery asking to format/wipe data. After doing that stock booted to android initial setup screen. Switced the Pro1 off.

Followed carefully the test14 install procedure. Result as with test12 - test13 - very long startup animation and then rebooted to recovery screen offering only either to continue or to wipe system data. Tried both with no results.

recovery_sideload.log 35.68 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for the recovery log, but unfortunately that is not really helpful -- it only says that the Lineage install succeeded.

I need a logcat of Lineage (trying to) boot in order to figure out what's going on.  This will require some tweaks to enable logcat at startup.  If you are comfortable hacking on your phone with adb, we can try to do that.  Alternatively, perhaps you can tell me exactly which version of stock you were running and maybe I can reproduce that here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, tdm said:

Alternatively, perhaps you can tell me exactly which version of stock you were running and maybe I can reproduce that here.

Exactly the same you get using the here published stock reverting method using the file QX1000_user_20191028191838_0a493a1_Fastboot.rar

Let the first start to go until the first setup screen and switched off there.

Edited by acrux
30 minutes ago, tdm said:

If su is enabled for apps in settings, the patch does nothing -- su works normally.

If su is disabled for apps in settings, the su binary (/system/xbin/su) disappears.  You cannot see it with "ls" or "stat", it cannot be run, etc.  It simply does not exist.

I'm confused by this, probably because I know less than I should and tend to just follow instructions like recipes.  I don't know of enabling SU for apps in settings.  I just Flash Lineage, flash Gaaps and flash Magisk in recovery (rebooting recovery between each) and it just works.  What settings are you referring to here?  Is this new in the new build?  Or can I just keep doing what I have been doing?  Or (most likely), am I misunderstanding everything.  😄

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm confused by this, probably because I know less than I should and tend to just follow instructions like recipes.  I don't know of enabling SU for apps in settings.  I just Flash Lineage, flash Gaaps and flash Magisk in recovery (rebooting recovery between each) and it just works.  What settings are you referring to here?  Is this new in the new build?  Or can I just keep doing what I have been doing?  Or (most likely), am I misunderstanding everything.  😄

The setting is "root access" in developer options.

And note developer options is not visible by default, you need to enable it by tapping on the build number 7 times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, tdm said:

And note developer options is not visible by default, you need to enable it by tapping on the build number 7 times.

I know about the developer options and have them revealed.  The root settings option I've never touched.  It has only 2 settings-- disabled and ADB only.  "disabled" is the default and since neither setting seems right   and root works, bI'veejust left it on disabled.  So I am trying to figure how it maps to your explanation, but if everything keeps working I won't worry about it.  😉

51 minutes ago, acrux said:

Exactly the same you get using the here published stock reverting method using the file QX1000_user_20191028191838_0a493a1_Fastboot.rar

Let the first start to go until the first setup screen and switched off there.

For completeness sake it needs to be said that recent devices like mine (yours as well, acrux?) seem to have been shipped with a pre-release of an upcoming stock update.

Unfortunately I do not recall the exact build number and date. So if it was possible that the update had updated some firmware of components in a backwards-incompatible way, that could be the cause for just flashing the provided older stock images over it doesn't put us in the same state as it'd be for previously shipped phones.

Maybe @Waxberry can clarify what's the current status of firmware updates and shipped stock ROM builds?

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, tdm said:

Will it remain usable the same way after LineageOS becomes official and maybe upgraded?
...just because it would be a very good reason installing LineageOS instead of stock one...

26 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

Wait, does it mean that I didn't need to flash the LOS 16.0 root add-on? xD I did it almost automatically, because every time I flashed LOS before root was not included by default 😛

No, you still need to flash the add-on for su to work.  The add-on contains the su binary.  The kernel patch does not provide an su binary, it only hides the su binary when root access is disabled for apps.

22 minutes ago, Hook said:

I know about the developer options and have them revealed.  The root settings option I've never touched.  It has only 2 settings-- disabled and ADB only.  "disabled" is the default and since neither setting seems right   and root works, bI'veejust left it on disabled.  So I am trying to figure how it maps to your explanation, but if everything keeps working I won't worry about it.  😉

The root access setting is dynamic.  By default it only shows disabled and adb.  When you install the su add-on, it adds the "apps and adb" option.

23 minutes ago, schmittlauch said:

For completeness sake it needs to be said that recent devices like mine (yours as well, acrux?) seem to have been shipped with a pre-release of an upcoming stock update.

Unfortunately I do not recall the exact build number and date. So if it was possible that the update had updated some firmware of components in a backwards-incompatible way, that could be the cause for just flashing the provided older stock images over it doesn't put us in the same state as it'd be for previously shipped phones.

Maybe @Waxberry can clarify what's the current status of firmware updates and shipped stock ROM builds?

I suspected something like this.  AVB is probably unhappy because the Lineage security patch level is less than the stock patch level for the newest devices.  Or something like that.  I'll need to investigate.

23 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Will it remain usable the same way after LineageOS becomes official and maybe upgraded?
...just because it would be a very good reason installing LineageOS instead of stock one...

Yes, official Lineage behaves the exact same way for root access, etc.

• Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, schmittlauch said:

Well, mine is not recent: S/N: fxtec000236. Was shipped in the end of January.

However, in the middle of May, before installing SailfishOS and after reverting to stock, I let the stock to install all ota updates it offered.

But then again, after SailfishOS and before LineageOS test14 i again reverted to stock but this time without ota updates.

Edited by acrux
34 minutes ago, tdm said:

I suspected something like this.  AVB is probably unhappy because the Lineage security patch level is less than the stock patch level for the newest devices.  Or something like that.  I'll need to investigate.

But then test11 is even more older, but installs and boots successfully 😉

• Thanks 1
Just now, acrux said:

But then test11 is even more older, but installs and boots successfully 😉

Right, that is the strange part.  So maybe the opposite.  I don't know.  It's all conjecture until I can get logs...