LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks.
It took me a while to guess how to find the qwertY/qwertZ setting. I browsed through the Settings-tree unable to guess where it is.

Gave up and tried searching for "qwerty" or "qwertz" that did not find it either.

BUT if I do a search for "keyboard" or "layout" it do pop up on the search-list. 🙂

Would be nice if it had some natural entry in the settings-tree, preferably under

• Settings ► Language & Input ► Physical keyboard

Or perhaps in a special top level setting group for all the customizations settings that are device specific. e.g. "Pro¹" or "Pro¹ specific"

Yes, it would be nice to have the Pro1 specific settings sprinkled throughout the settings menus, eg. keyboard settings under keyboard, display settings under display.  But doing that requires modifying the code in the settings app, which is not allowed in official Lineage builds.  The way I've added the Pro1 settings is the "official" way to add device-specific settings.  That said, I could possibly rename and rearrange the Pro1 settings.  Perhaps Settings->System->Pro1 could be a separate screen with the keyboard and touchscreen settings.

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Both the qwertY and qwertZ seem to work just fine for German and Danish. (haven't looked for a lot of details, just checked the obvious)

Choosing Danish, it works really well for qwertZ. I'm a little confused on the functionality triggered by FN+Æ (that is the L key on shifted qwertY). I get a special cursor and has "Sticky FN" . By the Print I expected a Backslash. The similar goes for Fn+Z (that is the ] key on shifted qwertY), where the print indicates vertical bar), and a couple of others.

I believe that is key #31, which is KEY_SEMICOLON when pressed alone.  The FN mapping for this key is AltGr+KEY_MINUS, because this is how to generate backslash on a German keyboard.  But on a Danish keyboard, AltGr+KEY_MINUS does not seem to be labelled at all.  Backslash is generated by AltGr+KEY_GRAVE (eg. the "<>" key).

I would suggest leaving the keyboard as German unless you want to play with the keymaps.  The reason is that when you select Danish, you are telling Android that you have a Danish keyboard.  But clearly the QWERTZ keyboard is printed as German, and I have programmed it by referring to a German keyboard image.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Would it be possible to make access to this folder available without root, or to fetch it from a different user-available location?

C:\util\ADB>adb shell ls -R /persist/data/keyboard/
ls: /persist/data/keyboard/: Permission denied

I would prefer not to do that, as it could introduce a security risk.  Simply run "adb root" and then make your change.  Afterward, you can "adb unroot" or reboot the device.

Would deselect of "Custom  layout" under keyboards not work just as well as removing any added file, for the test purpose?

I don't think Android lets you deselect the qwerty/qwertz setting.  But yes, the setting is directly tied to that file.

Note: In an ideal world, the factory would provide some sort of way to find out the physical keyboard layout.  The only difference I can see between a QWERTY stock image and a QWERTZ stock image is in the Android keylayout files in /system.  These get over-written with the Lineage system.  So there is no way to determine the physical keyboard layout -- I had to make my own solution.  But it is a one-time thing -- set it once and it will remain set for the life of the device (unless you destroy /persist).

IDEA:
A bit similar to switching languages with Ctrl-Space it COULD be handy with some master key-combo that turned off the usage of any custom layout, if people have messed it up completely. I would suggest a combo hard to do (so unlikely to conflict with anything sensible), say something like Ctrl+Sh+Fn+Alt+Sym+ESC

Interesting idea.  But you most likely used adb to set the keymap, and it is trivially easy to delete the custom keymap file using adb.  So I don't see much need for this.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wheeljack said:

The L key hasn´t changed since the qwertz-test2.img has it?

Still getting the áccént ´instead of '

No, it has not changed since test2.  Can you figure out how to fix it?  I am not familiar with the accents vs. apostrophe keys.

28 minutes ago, tdm said:

I don't think Android lets you deselect the qwerty/qwertz setting.  But yes, the setting is directly tied to that file.

What I meant was that you already got an On/Off slider-switch called "custom keymap", so I just thought that flipping that to Off, would work just as fine as deleting the file.

And the odd shortcut for Off was intended for the case where people messed up the layout completely, maiming the keyboard. Here a simple way to reset quickly could be handy. But as you said if people can copy the the file they can also reconnect and delete it. Or find and flip the switch using touch only.

1 hour ago, tdm said:

No, it has not changed since test2.  Can you figure out how to fix it?  I am not familiar with the accents vs. apostrophe keys.

47:0026:802b (l and ')

It was in issue 35 and by some reason did not get into qwertz test1 and later in test2...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
19 hours ago, tdm said:

test13 is up.  Changes:

* Updated QWERTZ keymap.

* Addressed some SELinux denials.

test 13 does not boot like test12. Returns to recovery.

And no way to boot into test11 which worked ok, although the slot a/b thing should be designed for that?

History:

1. Returned to stock and decided to offer my Pro1 to sale...

2. Decided still to test again SailfishOS. Flashed twrp to boot_a and using twrp installed SailfishOS.

3. tdm resumed development and decided to continue testing qwertz layout

4. flashed test12 boot to boot_a and sideloaded test12 to b - did not boot

5. repeated that with test11 boot&zip - test11 booted ok and was able to test qwertz by flashing boot-qwertz-test2.img to boot_b

6. booted to recovery and sideloaded test13 (to slot_a?) - very long startup and then falled back to recovery with no option to boot to test11 in slot_b or perform any other task except formatting data (which I tested when tried to install test12 but that did not help.

Edited by acrux
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Digital_Toxin said:

I'm in the same boat, but I haven't been able to reload anything yet (including stock. 😛 )

Are you sure you follow TDM's guide to the letter?
I made a batch file for it, see this:

@EskeRahn Sadly I'm  no longer in that boat, I'm in this one. -https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2951-screwed-up-i-locked-the-bootloader-wont-boot-and-cant-unlock-it/

I've been working with FxTec support to try and fix it without having to send back to them and have them re-flash it. I made such a noob mistake not to backup all the files/images before trying this.

I've emailed @tdm to try and see if I can get some help from him as well. If I do find a workaround I'll let you all know. I would like to help with the development of the LOS version.

• Thanks 1

My case makes me think that LineageOS and SailfishOS could make the Pro1 somewhat incompatible to each other?

The installation of SailfishOS on top of LineageOS ended without any error messages - it just did not boot. After returning to stock with fastboot method, SailfishOS installation was successful. Now the installation of LineageOS (newer than test11) on top of SailfishOS was again without any error message, but it just did not boot. I returned the Pro1 to stock again already, but that also booted only to recovery and asked to reformat data. After that the stock booted ok. Any ideas? It could be helpful if just some partition reflash is sufficient, not the full stock restoration...

If the curiosity wins, then I might try to install LineageOS again, now my Pro1 just lays in the original box...

Edited by acrux
4 hours ago, acrux said:

My case makes me think that LineageOS and SailfishOS could make the Pro1 somewhat incompatible to each other?

The installation of SailfishOS on top of LineageOS ended without any error messages - it just did not boot. After returning to stock with fastboot method, SailfishOS installation was successful. Now the installation of LineageOS (newer than test11) on top of SailfishOS was again without any error message, but it just did not boot. I returned the Pro1 to stock again already, but that also booted only to recovery and asked to reformat data. After that the stock booted ok. Any ideas? It could be helpful if just some partition reflash is sufficient, not the full stock restoration...

If the curiosity wins, then I might try to install LineageOS again, now my Pro1 just lays in the original box...

I have had a unit that had Stock, Lineage, Sailfish and now Lineage, but I clearly booted at the least at the end of each installation. I'm not quite sure how you could avoid the boots?

So I tried flashing the test13 image of Lineage onto my new Pro1. I am certain that I followed all the instructions to the point where possible and used a USB2 port (as USB3 wasn't working).

While flashing the recovery worked fine, the first issue I encountered was sideloading the image to the recovery: This always failed.

adb sideload lineage-16.0-pro1-test13.zip
serving: 'lineage-16.0-pro1-test13.zip'  (~30%)    adb: failed to read command: Success

As a workaround, I put the zip onto an SD card. Then flashing was successful, but the resulting LineageOS installation just took several minutes to boot before eventually falling back to the recovery again.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? While at the first attempt I had Sailfish OS flashed before, just to make sure I reflashed all stock parts before doing a 2nd attempt – which failed in the same way.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, schmittlauch said:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? While at the first attempt I had Sailfish OS flashed before, just to make sure I reflashed all stock parts before doing a 2nd attempt – which failed in the same way.

Thank you confirming my situation!

Do you have test11 laying around? Are you able to install test11 and boot it successfully?

Edited by acrux

Where is the LineageOS keychar file saved?

Since there are many locations and your setup is already very good, this is easier than to create a new one.
(Reason: For Qwertz, the 'FN'+L key outputs ´ instead of '. That means that letters get apostrophes instead of getting separated.)

9 hours ago, acrux said:

Thank you confirming my situation!

Do you have test11 laying around? Are you able to install test11 and boot it successfully?

Yes, I just successfully flashed and booted test11 and right now trying to update test12 over it (I guess I'm not brave to try test13).

Update: Updating to test12 again made the boot afterwards fail. Unfortunately test11 without a proper QWERTZ layout is only slightly useful to me.

Again this was only possible though from SDcard, not via USB `adb sideload`. Any idea what's going wrong there?

Btw @ whoever runs nwwn.com, could you please set up a redirect from http to https?

20200612_010819.jpg

Edited by schmittlauch
Update
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, schmittlauch said:

Unfortunately test11 without a proper QWERTZ layout is only slightly useful to me.

Not at all - just flash boot-qwertz-test2.img to the boot partition of the slot you are running test11 (in my case it was boot_b) and you are at the latest layout 😉

7 hours ago, schmittlauch said:

Again this was only possible though from SDcard, not via USB `adb sideload`. Any idea what's going wrong there?

A few guesses. Have you tried a different port and/or cable? Could it be the version of ADB? Have you fetched it directly from Google https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools? Have you tried from a different PC with another OS? (I have been using 29.0.5 on Windows 10, and just tried reflashing with newest 30.0.2, that works too)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Where is the LineageOS keychar file saved?

Since there are many locations and your setup is already very good, this is easier than to create a new one.
(Reason: For Qwertz, the 'FN'+L key outputs ´ instead of '. That means that letters get apostrophes instead of getting separated.)

It has been covered here already.

And not apostrophes (if I'm correct here), but the letters are getting accents. apostrophe is a separate key ' not a dead_key like ' and `.

47:0026:802b should fix the L key.

Edited by acrux
  • Like 1

Catching up on a couple days here...

Yes, I'm working with @Digital_Toxin to resolve the locked boot loader.

@acrux @schmittlauch I've never installed SailfishOS, so I'm not sure how that would affect the phone.  But I can tell you that Lineage uses a different format for userdata (FBE instead of FDE) and modifies boot, vendor, and system partitions.  I also suspect that AVB may have something to do with this.  Are either of you currently stuck in a place where you are not able to use your preferred OS?

@SchattengestaIt the kernel keymap location has been mentioned here many times, eg. here .. use the line from @acrux a few posts up: "47:0026:802b".  I will put this change in test14.

@schmittlauch nwwn.com is my domain.  I don't bother with a http->https redirect because there is nothing that could be considered private there.  But https does work and you can certainly use it.

Lastly, is anyone unable to boot test12 or test13 who has not installed SailfishOS?  I want to try to figure out what's going on, but SailfishOS is an unknown variable to me.  The big difference (really, the only difference) between test11 and test12 is integrating the latest security patches.  That would have changed the security patch date, which in turn may make AVB unhappy...?  After I get that sorted out, I can start looking into why SailfishOS and LineageOS are not compatible (with the exception of userdata, which must always be wiped when changing to a different OS anyway).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
On 6/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, tdm said:

@schmittlauch nwwn.com is my domain.  I don't bother with a http->https redirect because there is nothing that could be considered private there.  But https does work and you can certainly use it.

Lastly, is anyone unable to boot test12 or test13 who has not installed SailfishOS?  I want to try to figure out what's going on, but SailfishOS is an unknown variable to me.  The big difference (really, the only difference) between test11 and test12 is integrating the latest security patches.  That would have changed the security patch date, which in turn may make AVB unhappy...?  After I get that sorted out, I can start looking into why SailfishOS and LineageOS are not compatible (with the exception of userdata, which must always be wiped when changing to a different OS anyway).

HTTPS redirect on your domain would be less about "hiding" something and more about avoiding a situation where someone could alter the file/site content while it is downloaded/transmitted.

As for boot problems: I never installed SailfishOS, but I was unable to sideload the test12.zip due to a timestamp issue. It said something about not being able to downgrade? I'm not sure when I flashed/sideloaded stuff before but it had been weeks at least and I wiped everything anyway before flashing the image with the german keyboard layout stuff.

When test13 became available I tried again and it worked. No issues now. In fact, the german layout works perfectly - if one finds and sets the correct option (thank you @EskeRahn for telling us how to find it 😉 ). Thank you for making that work everyone!

Lastly I have a question: I check your git repository every once in a while and despite all the work you did, I'm not seeing any commits there? The latest commit is about fixing the FM radio.

Edited by SteffenWi

Great to see you´re doing fine and that things are moving again :)

I flashed Test13 and the keyboard on my German version is a lot better. I think the only wrong key is the apostrophe on L now.

However, I now have the issue that recording WhatsApp  voice messages (at least with my cable headset) has problems.
It heavily stutters. I´m not sure which version I used before (but it was one which had the audio fix already), but it worked fine before.

Has anything been changed in that area?

7 hours ago, SteffenWi said:

HTTPS redirect on your domain would be less about "hiding" something and more about avoiding a situation where someone could alter the file/site content while it is downloaded/transmitted.

Fair enough.  And you are able to choose to verify your content via HTTPS, MD5, SHA1, or all three. 🙂

Of course if you were really worried about MITM attacks you would be right to be concerned that the attacker could alter the hashes on the lineage.html page also.  In which case, I suppose those people would be asking for the hashes to be made available via a third party server (such as this forum).  But nobody has asked for this so far.  In fact, I doubt that more than a couple people even bother to check the hashes.

As for boot problems: I never installed SailfishOS, but I was unable to sideload the test12.zip due to a timestamp issue. It said something about not being able to downgrade? I'm not sure when I flashed/sideloaded stuff before but it had been weeks at least and I wiped everything anyway before flashing the image with the german keyboard layout stuff.

When test13 became available I tried again and it worked. No issues now. In fact, the german layout works perfectly - if one finds and sets the correct option (thank you @EskeRahn for telling us how to find it 😉 ). Thank you for making that work everyone!

Hmm, not sure what the timestamp issue could be.  But now that it's gone I guess I won't worry about it.

Lastly I have a question: I check your git repository every once in a while and despite all the work you did, I'm not seeing any commits there? The latest commit is about fixing the FM radio.

Indeed, I have neglected to push up the changes recently.  I believe I've only changed the QWERTZ kernel keymap on my local machine, but I'll certainly get that pushed up soon.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, EvilDragon said:

Great to see you´re doing fine and that things are moving again 🙂

I flashed Test13 and the keyboard on my German version is a lot better. I think the only wrong key is the apostrophe on L now.

However, I now have the issue that recording WhatsApp  voice messages (at least with my cable headset) has problems.
It heavily stutters. I´m not sure which version I used before (but it was one which had the audio fix already), but it worked fine before.

Has anything been changed in that area?

Oh, I didn't know you still had or used a Pro1.  Good to see you are still here. 🙂 I should have the apostrophe on the L fixed for the next build.

Sorry, I don't know what could be up with WhatsApp.  Can you tell me what is the last build that worked?

On 6/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, tdm said:

Oh, I didn't know you still had or used a Pro1.  Good to see you are still here. 🙂 I should have the apostrophe on the L fixed for the next build.

Of course :D I need a phone with a keyboard.

Got a multiple-times-cracked screen (as it fell down multiple times on the ground without a protection... now I've got a nice leather cover :), but it's still working.
And I've ordered a new screen already (and will also offer a replacement service later on).

Just waiting for the team to catch-up with the orders so they can deliver more units to distributors.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, tdm said:

Sorry, I don't know what could be up with WhatsApp.  Can you tell me what is the last build that worked?

I'll try to find that out... I think I was on test12 before, as I always try out the latest version, but if it just had fixes I wasn't interested in, I might've skipped.

It was at least a version after the audio has been fixed :)

• Like 5

@acrux @schmittlauch I've never installed SailfishOS, so I'm not sure how that would affect the phone.  But I can tell you that Lineage uses a different format for userdata (FBE instead of FDE) and modifies boot, vendor, and system partitions.  I also suspect that AVB may have something to do with this.  Are either of you currently stuck in a place where you are not able to use your preferred OS?

Sorry for the delay. I have now flashed Sailfish OS, which has its own can of worms but is the reason why there is no urgent need on my side.

Regarding Sailfish modifying the device such that Lineage doesn't work anymore: I had reset my device reset to stock according to this guide by @Waxberry before attempting to flash Lineage, so there should be no remains of anything I've done beforehands, right?

As others already mentioned, the important issue here is integrity, not confidentiality. I just feel a bit uncomfortable flashing something MITMable to my phone, where the verification hash also comes from the same vulnerable site.