LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

33 minutes ago, tdm said:

The root access setting is dynamic.  By default it only shows disabled and adb.  When you install the su add-on, it adds the "apps and adb" option.

Okay, so it seems to me that you are talking about a different "SU add-on" than Magisk as Magisk gives me root but does not add options for the root setting in developer settings. Are you talking about (formerly Chainfire's) SuperSU, which I've always used before, or is there another SU add-on you are referring to.  I'm assuming the kernel trick works with what you are referring to and not with Magisk.

I actually have no pressing need to hide root, but I am  curious about how you are doing root just so I can learn the options. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

Just now, Hook said:

Okay, so it seems to me that you are talking about a different "SU add-on" than Magisk as Magisk gives me root but does not add options for the root setting in developer settings. Are you talking about (formerly Chainfire's) SuperSU, which I've always used before, or is there another SU add-on you are referring to.  I'm assuming the kernel trick works with what you are referring to and not with Magisk.

I actually have no pressing need to hide root, but I am  curious about how you are doing root just so I can learn the options. 

No, I am talking about the Official(tm) LineageOS superuser add-on from here.  I do not use or endorse any other su package, and I absolutely don't touch magisk at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, tdm said:

No, I am talking about the Official(tm) LineageOS superuser add-on from here.  I do not use or endorse any other su package, and I absolutely don't touch magisk at all.

Thanks, I never knew that existed.  I'll have to give it a try. I'm not a big fan of Magisk, but the only instructions on this forum were for Magisk.  Is the right one Arm64 or Arm?

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Hook said:

Thanks, I never knew that existed.  I'll have to give it a try. I'm not a big fan of Magisk, but the only instructions on this forum were for Magisk.  Is the right one Arm64 or Arm?

The Lineage version is 16.0 and the device is arm64.  So you want "addonsu-16.0-arm64-signed.zip".

• Thanks 3

Updated the previously posted script for somewhat automated updates with the above root patch as an option. Assuming you have downloaded the @tdm images mentioned here and for root also the addonsu-16.0-arm64-signed.zip image linked to here

Use as either

• LineageFLASH 15

or

• LineageFLASH 15 ROOT

(assuming you called hte file LineageFLASH .BAT obviously)
The paths are hardcoded, you might want to change those if you are storing the images in a different subdir to the ADB and batch

@ECHO off
if %1.==. goto :EOF
ECHO * Wait for boot to bootloader to finish (or do manually holding VolDown+Power)
adb reboot bootloader
pause
fastboot flash boot_a LineageOS\lineage-16.0-pro1-test%1-boot.img
fastboot --set-active=a
REM fastboot reboot recovery    does not work, so do manually:
ECHO * Roll down to "Recovery Mode" with VolDown, and press Power to select.
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" for main flash
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\lineage-16.0-pro1-test%1.zip
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
adb reboot recovery
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" to add Gapps
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\MindTheGapps-9.0.0-arm64-20190615_031441.zip
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
if NOT %2.==ROOT. goto :NORM
adb reboot recovery
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" to add ROOT
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\addonsu-16.0-arm64-signed.zip
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
:NORM
adb reboot
ECHO **DONE** Should now boot into LineageOS Test%1

• Thanks 1

Beautiful, so far.  Manually sideloaded Test 15,  MindTheGapps and the su addon, changed theroot setting to apps and adb and gave permission to Root Explorer and Titanium Backup and away I go.  I'll let you know if I get any more phone turning off, but tbh, that hasn't happened in a few days anyway.  Lol.

I think it's time to buy @tdm another 6-pack. 🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I installed the last version of LOS and in the developer options, I deactivate root but when I try to install the app which require a non-rooted device it keeps telling me that my device is rooted. A reboot did not help.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

image.png.152b2f376059bfabb7f6815d07b718a9.png

image.png.a890d6b531cd6d0902cbb4b6a9c1bf09.png

image.png.3a26fa3d742dab7d0e35fe47b14bd991.png

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

I installed the last version of LOS and in the developer options, I deactivate root but when I try to install the app which require a non-rooted device it keeps telling me that my device is rooted. A reboot did not help.

Anything I'm doing wrong?

I think the error message is inaccurate. I get the same on a LineageOS 16.0 Test15 that has NOT got the root addon installed.

Maybe it is trying to say that the device is not certified or that it does not pass the SafetyNet test.

ADD: Checked that It opens without this on Certified Stock even with an OTA not passing SafetyNet.
(So the important part of the message is the next that it expects an "official Android")

• Thanks 1

Had pretty much the same happening with the app from the insurance "Signal Iduna" with all unrooted Lineage test versions I used so far. The app just said my device was rooted and wouldn't start for security reasons. So either their check is wrong or their message is lazy.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, tdm said:

I need a logcat of Lineage (trying to) boot in order to figure out what's going on.  This will require some tweaks to enable logcat at startup.  If you are comfortable hacking on your phone with adb, we can try to do that.

Yes please, guide me - i'm ready to help if I can 😉

Regarding root detection and the su-hide patch...

The kernel su hide patch was intended for a specific purpose: someone claimed that Lineage su was insecure but refused to provide any details except that it could be exploited even when root access was disabled in settings.  The su-hide patch was my response.  It is impossible to exploit something that does not exist.  🙂

The patch was never intended to prevent apps from detecting the device has been rooted.  That is a cat-and-mouse game and I don't play.  If an app insists that it run on an un-rooted device or does anything else that is hostile to the user (such as SafetyNet checks), I don't install it.

The way to determine if the su-hide patch is working is as follows: disable root access in settings and then try to access su from a non-root shell (either adb or a terminal app).  If the su binary is accessible, the patch is broken.  If not, the patch is working.

If you want to run an app that does checks which are hostile to the user, please do feel free -- it's your device.  You can run xposed and magisk and whatever else you like.  But this is not my concern and I will not support either the hostile apps nor the apps which try to hide from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, acrux said:

Yes please, guide me - i'm ready to help if I can 😉

Mount /system r/w with "adb remount".  Then edit the file /system/etc/prop.default.  Change the following properties:

ro.adb.secure=0

persist.sys.usb.config=adb

Reboot and hopefully logcat will work from early in the boot process.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tdm said:

Apparently my last few builds have included GMS (Google Play Store, etc.)  I've removed that and rebuilt.  test16 is exactly test15 without GMS.

That did the trick - test16 booted OK! So that was the reason for non-booting system for those without gapps...

Thanks a lot!  Now to test qwertz keyboard 🙂

• Like 2

Ok, so the answer to my question:

On 6/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, Jordi said:

Is there a safe way to hide root in LineageOS? Some apps I use require a non-rooted device.

could be found in the direction of Xposed or Magisk. Does anyone has any experience with this?

Wanted to check here with others before doing more troubleshooting. Anyone had trouble with there Pro1 picking up a SIM card? (TMobile)
It seems to only pick it up about 25% of the time, and when it does, it only shows up as "disabled" and can't be toggled over to enabled.

Thanks!

Oookay, I updated Test 13 to Test 15 which really has messed up the installation a bit.

All Google apps (and a few others like Skype) stopped working and crashed all the time.
The fix was to remove and reinstall them all, so that is okay now.

However, one issue remains:
In phone calls, I can only hear the called when I switch to speaker mode or use a headset.
The internal speaker is disabled for some reason.

Any idea how to troubleshoot or fix this?

49 minutes ago, EvilDragon said:

Oookay, I updated Test 13 to Test 15 which really has messed up the installation a bit.

All Google apps (and a few others like Skype) stopped working and crashed all the time.
The fix was to remove and reinstall them all, so that is okay now.

However, one issue remains:
In phone calls, I can only hear the called when I switch to speaker mode or use a headset.
The internal speaker is disabled for some reason.

Any idea how to troubleshoot or fix this?

Do you reinstall the Gapps package each time?  I do and my updates are always smooth.  They should be preserved with each update, but I don't trust that and haven't for any ROM. I used to do the same thing when dirty flashing (updating) Dirty Unicorns and on my LOS 14 Tablet.

I haven't experienced any problem with hearing calls.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

Do you reinstall the Gapps package each time?  I do and my updates are always smooth.  They should be preserved with each update, but I don't trust that and haven't for any ROM. I used to do the same thing when dirty flashing (updating) Dirty Unicorns and on my LOS 14 Tablet.

I haven't experienced any problem with hearing calls.

Yes, I did that, but for some reason, it still happened. But as mentioned, that was fixed by reinstalling the programs, no big deal.

The problem with hearing calls is that I have no idea how to troubleshoot that on Android.

On Linux, I would simply test all output devices to see if it might be the speaker that's faulty, but with Android, I don't even know where to start 🙂

14 hours ago, tdm said:

FYI... Made huge progress on selinux today. I should have an enforcing build by end of week. And I think it can go official after that.

oh sweet was just about to reset to the test from ubport but may as well wait I think and play with ubports a bit more

On 6/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, tdm said:

FYI... Made huge progress on selinux today. I should have an enforcing build by end of week. And I think it can go official after that.

I am waiting impatiently 😉

I hope it will be fully functional for daily use, I would like to finally move from my old Moto Z

31 minutes ago, patrykgrzesiak said:

I am waiting impatiently 😉

I hope it will be fully functional for daily use, I would like to finally move from my old Moto Z

You can install and run Lineage at any time.  My builds are nearly identical to the official builds.

• Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Craig said:

You've probably answered this in the past but I've forgotten... when it does go official, will we be able to dirty flash official, or should we wipe & start over then?

You should be able to dirty flash. I think you need to delete the app signature database first so the lineage key check doesn't fail. But that should be all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3