LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

19 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

@tdm That is the thing: I lack the knowledge to know if things just changed because it is now a lineage image or if the wiki is wrong. There are just a lot of differences between what was on your site and what it says on the lineage site.

Oh, I see.  I honestly never really look a the Lineage wiki.  I just assume that it is clear and correct because it is used by so many people.  Again, if you or anyone else finds issues that need to be addressed, both myself and @npjohnson can assist in getting the text fixed and/or updated.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

I tried to install the new official version like I did to install the test versions (and I also deleted /data/system/packages.xml) but I had an error during the process. I rebooted and now I'm stuck with a system with very limited apps but with some of my parameters, like my background screen. I guess this is the recovery.

Question :  Can I save my phone? (and keep apps and parameters) 😔 If yes, how?

I wrote this message still in the former thread as I'm not yet with the official version.

Edited by Jordi
16 minutes ago, Jordi said:

I tried to install the new official version like I did to install the test versions (and I also deleted /data/system/packages.xml) but I had an error during the process. I rebooted and now I'm stuck with a system with very limited apps but with some of my parameters, like my background screen. I guess this is the recovery.

Question :  Can I save my phone? (and keep apps and parameters) 😔 If yes, how?

I wrote this message still in the former thread as I'm not yet with the official version.

Just redo the test22 install, following the instructions as if it were the first time.  That is, flash the boot image, boot into recovery, flash test22, reboot recovery, flash gapps, reboot.

If you booted into Android without gapps, various Google apps get unhappy and may need to be removed and reinstalled (like hangouts, etc.)  But your data should still be there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your answer.

In fact I see now, in the recovery screen, that I'm in slot a, with lineageOS Nightly.

Knowing this, your answer above is still valid? (and I came from the test version 15, not the 22)

Edited by Jordi
33 minutes ago, Jordi said:

Thanks for your answer.

In fact I see now, in the recovery screen, that I'm in slot a, with lineageOS Nightly.

Knowing this, your answer above is still valid? (and I came from the test version 15, not the 22)

If I were you, I would install test22 first, before the nightly. It is what others have done, so it is known to be working.

• Like 2

Ok so once the remaining chats re : test 22 are done on this thread, is there an option to close this thread for safekeeping?

It doesn't need to have the door to needed conversations slammed shut, but I did want to bring it up so that once this is no longer a recent memory topic of conversation, we don't have this thread necroed.

@EskeRahn

And @tdm

16 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

Ok so once the remaining chats re : test 22 are done on this thread, is there an option to close this thread for safekeeping?

It doesn't need to have the door to needed conversations slammed shut, but I did want to bring it up so that once this is no longer a recent memory topic of conversation, we don't have this thread necroed.

@EskeRahn

And @tdm

It probably should stay open for a few more weeks.  Hopefully people will have all moved off the test builds by then.

21 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

Sure we could close it, but I see no harm in it being open, I think the recommendation of the link to the new thread would suffice. Don't you?
I guess once test-builds for 17.1 appear, we would have a new thread for that too, that should also be recommended.

I mean if someone (for whatever reason) prefer one of the old 16.0 test builds it would be natural for anything related to that to be in here.

(not that any support on the old test builds could be expected from the developers, but there still might be sharing between users)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Sure we could close it, but I see no harm in it being open, I think the recommendation of the link to the new thread would suffice. Don't you?
I guess once test-builds for 17.1 appear, we would have a new thread for that too, that should also be recommended.

I mean if someone (for whatever reason) prefer one of the old 16.0 test builds it would be natural for anything related to that to be in here.

(not that any support on the old test builds could be expected from the developers, but there still might be sharing between users)

You make good points that I hadn't considered. I guess I figured this was more like 'first time LineageOS test builds' but you are right, there could be more 16.0 tests here. I'm fine to leave open after consulting with you 😅

• Haha 1

I have recently updated from test16 to test22 and today I noticed I can no longer get a GPS fix. SatStat sees a couple of satellites, but marks them red. I attached logcat. I tried clearing the data for com.qualcomm.location and FusedLocation, but it doesn't help.

I haven't updated to the official releases yet, but since test22 and current official are mostly the same, this shouldn't matter. Let me know if I should try it.
I'd prefer to avoid wiping everything for obvious reasons.

gpslogcat.txt

26 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

I have recently updated from test16 to test22 and today I noticed I can no longer get a GPS fix. SatStat sees a couple of satellites, but marks them red. I attached logcat. I tried clearing the data for com.qualcomm.location and FusedLocation, but it doesn't help.

I haven't updated to the official releases yet, but since test22 and current official are mostly the same, this shouldn't matter. Let me know if I should try it.
I'd prefer to avoid wiping everything for obvious reasons.

gpslogcat.txt 16.53 kB · 0 downloads

I can get a fix -- possibly a bit slow, but it works.  Any one else having issues?

13 minutes ago, tdm said:

I can get a fix -- possibly a bit slow, but it works.  Any one else having issues?

I don't know what you use to determine fix-- I only ever use Google Maps and it always does a good job of telling me where I am and where I have been.  If there is some app I need to tell you exactly what you need to know, let me know and I will test.

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

I don't know what you use to determine fix-- I only ever use Google Maps and it always does a good job of telling me where I am and where I have been.  If there is some app I need to tell you exactly what you need to know, let me know and I will test.

There are several GPS test apps in the Play Store.  I use "GPS Test" by Chartcross Limited.  No reason for that particular one, really, except it's the first one I found years ago when I first started developing for Android.

Another one I always have installed is "Sensor Box for Android".

• Like 1

SatStat just confused the heck out of me. 😄  GPS Test showed a quick first fix time (00:05 the first time, 00:08 the second) with about 9-11 sats in use out of 18 in view.  Most are yellow and orange, occasionally turning green briefly.  On the Average SNR slider, floating around 18.  I take all this to mean connection is quick but signal is not strong?  I'm past my pay grade here, lol.

Sorry, I'm not all that technical so it is hard for me to help.

Screenshot_20200725-140436_GPS_Test.png

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

GPS Test showed a...

I can get a fix too, but it is clearly worse than stock,placed side by side in the middle of the garden.

BUT the fix the very first time gps is used is always VERY slow (minutes), and this goes for LinieageOS too.

I have a suspicion that Lineage does not use all the non-US sats.

Stock claims that 39 satellites could be in view, where Lineage claims 12. On stock I might have 3m accuracy and on Lineage 50m
(And yes I have checked the settings of GPS test, and no filters active)

Tested on my balcony, clear sky (LOS Nightly): a cold fix is obtained in 10 - 12 seconds (AGPS). Hot fix: less than 5 seconds.

Accuracy varies between 5 and about 20 m.

There seems to be satellites on (almost) all sides.

Précision.jpg

Satellites.jpg

Legende.png

Edited by Jordi
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, tdm said:

It is possible that the Lineage GPS configuration files are not optimal for certain areas.  Me or one of the other devs can look into that.

Interesting. Here I with stock see GPS+Glonass+Gallileo+Beidou, With Lineage 'only' GPS+Glonass

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if it's just the configuration: some time ago, on test16 GPS worked and I used to get a fix within less than a minute. Now I don't get any fix.

I don't know if GPS broke directly after updating to test22 or later on. I updated from test22 directly from test16, without any intermediate releases.

Maybe I could try wiping all the caches? I know how to do it with TWRP, but the LOS recovery doesn't provide such an option.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, Craig said:

But there is a keymap file we can edit that affects slantarrow combinations.   Just understand that slantarrow combinations are handled in the driver, not in userspace, so the combination generated is what's sent to the keyboard app/layout.

When I select QWERTZ in LOS and then Finnish as a language for keyboard some of the "Yellow arrow" combinations are not like they are printed on the keyboard. So if I want to edit these combinations I need to create new keymap file? Are the instructions on the page 40 correct?

Other combinations (like Shift) can be edited via kcm-file?

1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

When I select QWERTZ in LOS and then Finnish as a language for keyboard some of the "Yellow arrow" combinations are not like they are printed on the keyboard. So if I want to edit these combinations I need to create new keymap file? Are the instructions on the page 40 correct?

Yes, a new keymap file is the easiest solution.

The instructions you linked are for editing the kernel keyboard mapping.  Let's call this the keymap file for clarity.  This is not the same thing as the Android keyboard character map file(s).  Let's call those kcm files.  You could probably use either to change your keyboard combinations.

I suspect that changing the kernel keymap would be the "more correct" way to do it, but it is a bit more difficult to work with than kcm files.

1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

Other combinations (like Shift) can be edited via kcm-file?

Shifted combinations can be edited in kcm files, yes.

• Thanks 1
On 7/28/2020 at 5:11 AM, FlyingAntero said:

When I select QWERTZ in LOS and then Finnish as a language for keyboard some of the "Yellow arrow" combinations are not like they are printed on the keyboard

This is expected and has an explanation.  On QWERTZ, the printed yellow should align with German layout I believe?  If you change layout, then that layout will change the key that comes out based on the printed yellow letter going in.    So for example if the finnish layout changes a to j, then if you press a j will come out.  same thing for the yellow printed characters.   I'm not good at explaining cuz I dont have a qwertz keyboard to give examples.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1