LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

1 hour ago, Hook said:

For what it's worth, I am just not seeing any problems with wifi connectivity and, although I am speaking anecdotally as I don't do much real battery monitoring, I am not noticing any unusual power drain.  I am using Test21. I am in the US with a Qwerty model on the off chance that might make a difference.

Ah, this is very interesting.  Ethan believes that the new power code is causing the modem subsystem to crash when getting the WLAN stats.  But if yours is not crashing, perhaps your modem version is different than the rest of us in some way.

Could you run this command and send me the resulting modemversion.txt?  You will need root permissions, so first run "adb root".  You also need to replace the ## with your boot slot suffix.  You can get your boot slot by "adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix".

adb shell "strings /dev/block/by-name/modem## | grep VERSION" > modemversion.txt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

I've been using test21 for a couple days now coming from stock, and I'm having problems with both WiFi and LTE. Connectivity is dropping out often for both networks, even when using LTE only the connection will drop out and then reconnect. With WiFi and LTE it seems to switch between them aggressively if both don't drop out completely. I wasn't having any issues with connectivity on stock.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, tdm said:

Ah, this is very interesting.  Ethan believes that the new power code is causing the modem subsystem to crash when getting the WLAN stats.  But if yours is not crashing, perhaps your modem version is different than the rest of us in some way.

Could you run this command and send me the resulting modemversion.txt?  You will need root permissions, so first run "adb root".  You also need to replace the ## with your boot slot suffix.  You can get your boot slot by "adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix".

adb shell "strings /dev/block/by-name/modem## | grep VERSION" > modemversion.txt

modemversion.txt

• Thanks 1

My time with test21 was limited, but the radio power and wifi would switch off at the same time at least once a minute then come back on, even the "radio power" switch in the phone testing menu would switch to off on it's own.  I was trying to do a 100GB transfer to put my stuff back on and noticed if it went to the 5ghz wifi band, it would only stay for a short time (even with excellent 5ghz signal) then drop back to 2.4ghz.  Eventually it would go back to 5ghz but only for a short time.  I probably wouldn't have noticed except my 2.4ghz is 4x slower than the 5ghz so it makes a big difference in transfer rates.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hook said:

Awesome, thanks.  You are definitely running a different modem version than I am.

The QCOM baseline for all those versions are the same.  That's expected.  But for some bizarre reason they set the OEM version string to the build box hostname.

There are additional strings.  In particular if you just do a straight strings on the modem partition, you should see a block near the end that looks like JSON and starts with Image_Build_IDs.  Could you locate and paste that?

EDIT: And please include Metabuild_Info and anything else around that which looks interesting.

Edited by tdm

I am seeing it now.  I only notice it if I watch my status bar closely.  It doesn't change from 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz, but the wifi fan will flicker off and then on... but it is so fast I don't t=really notice any break in connection.  It seems to give my mobile data a little more grief as it keeps shifting it's signal strength, but since I am retired and stay mostly at home on wifi, that isn't noticeable much either.  So looks like something is going on, but in terms of real world use hasn't been as noticable as it seems to be for the others, perhaps because of my circumstances (and lack of technical knowledge 😄 ) than others seem to be saying.

1 minute ago, Hook said:

I am seeing it now.  I only notice it if I watch my status bar closely.  It doesn't change from 5Ghz to 2.4 Ghz, but the wifi fan will flicker off and then on... but it is so fast I don't t=really notice any break in connection.  It seems to give my mobile data a little more grief as it keeps shifting it's signal strength, but since I am retired and stay mostly at home on wifi, that isn't noticeable much either.  So looks like something is going on, but in terms of real world use hasn't been as noticable as it seems to be for the others, perhaps because of my circumstances (and lack of technical knowledge 😄 ) than others seem to be saying.

Oh, okay then.  I guess nevermind.

14 minutes ago, tdm said:

Oh, okay then.  I guess nevermind.

Well, I did what (I thought) you asked me to do so you might as well have the result.  This is what was at the end of the file.  Is this what you were looking for?

VER_INFOTXT 
V|O|O
    "Image_Build_IDs": {
        "adsp": "ADSP.HT.3.0-00386-CB8998-3", 
        "apps": "LA.UM.7.4.r1-05500-8x98.0-1", 
        "boot": "BOOT.XF.1.2.2.c1-00046-M8998LZB-1", 
        "btfm": "BTFM.CHE.2.1.1-00308-QCACHROMZ-1", 
        "common": "MSM8998.LA.2.0.2-20042-STD.PROD-1", 
        "cpev2": "CPE.TSF.2.0-00006-W9335AAAAAAAZQ-1", 
        "glue": "GLUE.MSM8998_LA.2.0.1-00052-NOOP_TEST-1", 
        "modem": "MPSS.AT.2.0.c4-01010-8998_GEN_PACK-1", 
        "rpm": "RPM.BF.1.7-00129-M8998AAAAANAZR-1", 
        "slpi": "SLPI.HB.2.0-00169-M8998AZL-1", 
        "spss": "SPSS.A1.1.0-00027-M8998AAAAANAZS-1", 
        "tz": "TZ.BF.4.0.6-00206-M8998AAAAANAZT-2", 
        "video": "VIDEO.VE.4.4-00060-PROD-1", 
        "wapi": "WLAN_ADDON.HL.1.0-00034-CNSS_RMZ_WAPI-1", 
        "wdsp": "WDSP.9340.1.0.c1-00008-W9340AAAAAAAZQ-1", 
        "wgig": "WIGIG.SPR.5.2-00009-WIGIGSWZ-5", 
        "wlan": "WLAN.HL.1.0-01521-QCAHLSWMTPLZ-1"
    }, 
    "Metabuild_Info": {
        "Meta_Build_ID": "MSM8998.LA.2.0.2-20042-STD.PROD-1", 
        "Product_Flavor": "asic", 
        "Time_Stamp": "2019-11-28 10:53:53"
    }, 
    "Version": "1.0"

As I say, I certainly am being less troubled than others even if I do have symptoms.

I'll be out for a couple of hours-- doc visit-- so will be a while if you need anything else.

• Thanks 1
On 7/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, tdm said:

test20 is up.  This is pretty much the final code that will be imported into the official Lineage trees unless any issues are found.

Well, if somebody asked my opinion, then I'd put all efforts to get the official LineageOS for Pro1 out.

It is always possible to tweak things later, make test builds and discuss them here etc...

Hi,
Strange behaviour here with test21, connectivity is dropping out often for both network (like @Dev5994)

I have see screen getting off sometime, (only hard reboot get the screen back)

It worked fine with test20. Just say me if I can help in anything...

• Like 1

test22 is up.  Changes:

• Fix connectivity issues and power drain (intervigil).
  • Set display density to match stock (npjohnson).
  • Increase statusbar height in landscape (npjohnson).
  • Tweak camera button behavior (npjohnson).
  • Customize fingerprint setup image (npjohnson).
  • Various cleanup (npjohnson).

Note the increased statusbar height was done mainly because Nolen's device is an early prototype and has touch sensitivity issues near the edges.  This does not affect production devices AFAIK.  However, it does also improve readability of the statusbar near the edge of the screen a bit because things are not ever cut off.  So you guys need to vote on whether this is a good change or not.

• Thanks 7
1 hour ago, acrux said:

Well, if somebody asked my opinion, then I'd put all efforts to get the official LineageOS for Pro1 out.

It is always possible to tweak things later, make test builds and discuss them here etc...

Yeah, sorry, we have to adhere to LineageOS's charter - and Wi-Fi dropouts definitely violate that - the good news here is that with our findings today, I'm confident we can ship ETA Soon^TM.

19 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

For whatever reason I expected the statusbar change to involve some gigantic fonts - but it's just a few pixels bigger with no change to the font.

Nah... totally reasonable modification. 👍

And good to hear 🙂

I tried like 10 different values and picked the one that was least intrusive to other users, and allowed those of us with early prototypes to interact with that area as well.

Additionally, from a UX perspective - it doesn't warp test as badly on the curve now in landscape, so that's something.

Untitled-1.psd

OT: On the fingerprint image, if anyone has recommendations, I am attaching the PSD, feel free to iterate and improve - I'm not a designer in any sense of the word lol

• Thanks 4
12 hours ago, marmistrz said:
  • custom keymaps are broken under LineageOS: fn & alt are not respected. For instance, if the kcm maps alt+e/fn+e to ę, the sign ´ will be emitted anyway
  • alt opens an emoji drawer (it's wrong, the keyboard label is fn+alt)

I'm not sure if either of those are broken.   The first issue is you have to understand what TDM did with slant arrow (fn).  It is not mapped as a key that gets thru to android or the keymap.    But the keymaps works fine, most use Right_Alt as the modifier key, and that is assigned to the key marked as SYM.

What he did with slant arrow he did at the driver level.  And if you modify that map, you're changing what keys get sent to the layout.   I could give examples to try to make it clear, but it takes a little bit to understand what he did with that.    Needless to say, when right slant-arrow can be remapped, you can make it another Right_alt and that will work better with the included international keymaps cuz you'll have Right_Alt on both sides.  And for those of us who primarily use English, we can make it the Slash-QuestionMark key that Pro¹ forgot to include, and only use the left slant arrow for home/end/pgup/pgdn/f1-f12/ins etc.   If you've never checked out my Reddit post, I summarized most of the keyboard stuff, check it out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/fxtec/comments/fjoj79/lineage_16_on_pro¹_keyboard_shortcuts_features/                       

As to alt opening Emoji with Left_Alt, that's a feature of both AOSP and Gboard, so I don't think its wrong....      But not having the physical keyboard settings for present in settings does make it so we cant control stuff.  This is from another thread where I compared our hardware keyboard behavior with various keyboards.... cuz the autocaps I can't disable drives me crazy was looking for solution.  Swiftkey fixes most everything, but loose both the emoji and symbol menus, and when you try to play games its impossible, have to switch back keyboards.

https://community.fxtec.com/uploads/monthly_2020_05/shot-2020-05-13_18-05-51.jpg.3a5c66a7f4d8a9f185cb24a091b3faf8.jpg

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2959-comparing-keyboard-features-aospgboardswiftkey

Edited by Craig
  • Like 3

Well, test22 has been up for over 4 hours and I haven't heard any complaints about connectivity or power usage yet.

Does anyone have any show stopping issues on test22 that would prevent going official?

• Thanks 1

I plan to test the first stable release and see how the first time installation instructions go.

The fine folks here have flashed and reflashed their machines so much that I'm sure they are used to the process by now, but if I can help in this tiny way by reviewing first time user set up, I might as well.

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, bmccrary said:

Well I just had to flash test22.  So far all voice/SMS/data is working just like it should on Verizon.  I'm not going to root or install many apps and see how it does.

Sadly,  I just tried and Verizon is still not working here on Test 22 for me.  I assume being rooted isn't a problem (which would be a deal breaker that would keep me on AT&T anyway).  I really don't need Verizon anymore, but I'm puzzled and I still have a couple of weeks left on the SIM.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1