LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Installing V1 over Test 22 without reinstalling the gapps leads to a repeated "Google play services keeps stopping...."

Oh. Interesting. I did exactly that and it was fine. Try rebooting into recovery and install gapps again?

3 minutes ago, tdm said:

Oh. Interesting. I did exactly that and it was fine. Try rebooting into recovery and install gapps again?

Oh I let it do the update, it is almost finished with the "Preparing for first boot" stage.... 🙂
If it is still there I will try to boot into recovery and sideload, and see if that fixes it 🙂

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I've always reinstalled MindTheeGapps (addonsu too) when I've updated.  It's probably superstition, but I know it will work every time if I do that.  Always did that with Dirty Unicorns even though they would claim I didn't need to.  But then, every so often people who hadn't would have problems. 😉

I'm kind of a manual guy.  Even on my Sammy Tab S with Lineage, I use TWRP rather than use the updater. 

9 minutes ago, Hook said:

For what it's worth, I've always reinstalled MindTheeGapps (addonsu too) when I've updated.  It's probably superstition, but I know it will work every time if I do that.  Always did that with Dirty Unicorns even though they would claim I didn't need to.  But then, every so often people who hadn't would have problems. 😉

I'm kind of a manual guy.  Even on my Sammy Tab S with Lineage, I use TWRP rather than use the updater. 

Doing it manually will DEFINITELY be faster that the OTA way. After 20 minutes it is only at around 30% in the "Finalising package installastion" stage... I explicitly omitted it to see how it would handle the update without. Previously I have had the gapps as part of my batch installation previously described in this thread a few times. And I will most likely go back to that, and use the updater for notifying me only....

1 hour ago, tdm said:

got my OTA server running and tested it with a full (not incremental) update.  Took roughly 45 minutes from the time the download completed.  Google intentionally makes this process low priority because you are expected to be able to continue using your phone normally while the update installs.  But there is an updater option to increase performance which helps some.

It would be much faster, both for download and install, to do incremental updates.  But incremental updates require a pristine, unmodified device.  So no adding in gapps, su, etc.  The only thing I could do to satisfy everyone would be to make two (or four!) builds.  And I'm not going to do that.

So... from now on I'll be providing my builds with OTA capabilities.  You can feel free to use the OTA or download and install manually like you always have.  Your choice

I'm just trying to understand.   So with the slow OTA method you chose for your unofficial builds, we will have to to reinstall gapps/su?  Or we won't?

And the fast method you're not going to use because it wouldn't work for those with gapps or su, unless you made and additional build specifically for those with gapps/&su, in which case upgrades would be fast and we wouldn't need to reinstall gapps/su?    And if this additional build were in fact made, would it require user use a certain version of gapps?  (For example I use opengapps-mini; I like that it replaces AOSP apps and up to date so I don;t have to go thru long upgrate process.)

And lastly, how does this relate to official OTA, will we have to reinstall gapps on updates then?

Edited by Craig
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Doing it manually will DEFINITELY be faster that the OTA way. After 20 minutes it is only at around 30% in the "Finalising package installastion" stage... I explicitly omitted it to see how it would handle the update without. Previously I have had the gapps as part of my batch installation previously described in this thread a few times. And I will most likely go back to that, and use the updater for notifying me only....

After a whole hour it finally continued. And failed to boot.... Suggesting me to retry the boot or do a factory reset... The retry failed too... I will try a manual flash, and see if that fixes stuff... That fixed stuff, and it booted (almost) normally except launching the qx1000 install wizard - that I just skipped.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'm just trying to understand.   So with the slow OTA method you chose for your unofficial builds, we will have to to reinstall gapps/su?  Or we won't?

And the fast method you're not going to use because it wouldn't work for those with gapps or su, unless you made and additional build specifically for those with gapps/&su, in which case upgrades would be fast and we wouldn't need to reinstall gapps/su?    And if this additional build were in fact made, would it require user use a certain version of gapps?  (For example I use opengapps-mini; I like that it replaces AOSP apps and up to date so I don;t have to go thru long upgrate process.)

And lastly, how does this relate to official OTA, will we have to reinstall gapps on updates then?

The intent is always for updates to keep you addon packages. But when the A/B system arrived, the lineage folks only got this working with OTA. They haven't yet figured out how to make it work with sideload on A/B devices. So yes, if you switch to OTA updates, your addons will stay. And no, you don't need any particular version except the correct one for your Android version.

You will need to install the first official build via sideload. After that, OTA works and keeps your addons.

• Thanks 2

Some good news: The v2 seems just as lean on the battery as the Test22 (This is from the unit without GSM)

The dip at the right side is all the install mess described above, but that apart it seems pretty parallel after a few hours sleep.

Screenshot_20200718-103534_3C_All-in-One_Toolbox.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

What is LineageOS supposed to be, a Android fork?

Precisely.

Google makes Android and publishes the sources.  The LineageOS team takes those sources and fixes bugs, adds features, etc.

Of course it is more complicated in practice and I left out all of the history.  But that is the takeaway.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tdm said:

Precisely.

Google makes Android and publishes the sources.  The LineageOS team takes those sources and fixes bugs, adds features, etc.

Of course it is more complicated in practice and I left out all of the history.  But that is the takeaway.

How better is it compared to stock Android? Does it unfuck the camera? Do things like EdgeNull and Audipo work?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, tdm said:

I can't imagine what could be wrong with the recent code.  It works for me, and I haven't heard anyone else complain about this sort of issue.  Perhaps you should do a clean rebuild using the Lineage and muppets stuff?  And in any case, can you get a logcat?

FWIW, I compiled and flashed a new build with TheMuppets and Lineage OS device/kernel repo.  Everything seems to be working fine.😎

@tdm As far as the 17.1 stuff goes, which repos should I be watching?

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JooJooBee666 said:

FWIW, I compiled and flashed a new build with TheMuppets and Lineage OS device/kernel repo.  Everything seems to be working fine.😎

@tdm As far as the 17.1 stuff goes, which repos should I be watching?

Probably Nolen's. I'm taking a break for a bit to do other stuff and he is still fresh and energized.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

How better is it compared to stock Android? Does it unfuck the camera? Do things like EdgeNull and Audipo work?

Better is subjective. But there are many fixes and features.

Not sure what your issue is with the camera.

EdgeNull is not needed, I added my own solution. Don't know what Audipo is.

If you are interested, give it a try. You should not expect people here to give you a sales pitch.

• Thanks 1
Just now, tdm said:

Better is subjective. But there are many fixes and features.

Not sure what your issue is with the camera.

EdgeNull is not needed, I added my own solution. Don't know what Audipo is.

If you are interested, give it a try. You should not expect people here to give you a sales pitch.

Audipo is a music player with pitch changing option on the paid version. My issue with the camera is that the Pro1's camera software (and software in general) is garbage.

Edited by Wasmachineman_NL
Just now, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Audipo is a music player with pitch changing option on the paid version. My issue with the camera is that the Pro1's camera (and software in general) is garbage.

The camera is still shitty, especially in low light.  No software is going magically fix this turd of a CCD we got.

• Confused 1
9 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

The camera is still shitty, especially in low light.  No software is going magically fix this turd of a CCD we got.

It can take very good photos even in low light conditions using GCam mods, so it is possible...

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, VaZso said:

It can take very good photos even in low light conditions using GCam mods, so it is possible...

My 2015 OnePlus 3 does MUCH sharper photos than the Pro1. (I even checked gcam out of desperation and it's still worse)

I'd expect a decent camera for such a high price (especially that the device aspires to be a premium device)

Edited by marmistrz
14 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I wouldn't call them good at all, even using some of the GCam mods.  Unless maybe I missed one that did miraculously adjust for the crappiness?  Which one are you referring to?

• Haha 1

I'm happy to report Verizon still working great on test22.  I finally rooted with Magisk this time around and restored all of my apps and SMS/call logs.  Everything is still working!  I've tried powering the whole thing off too, several times.  Maybe it's all fixed now and all that awaits me is more Lineage goodness! 😁  I've made a pretty good number of calls, texts as well as MMS messages by now.  It's almost too good to be true!  I have to go to the About screen now and then and make sure I'm still on Lineage and just didn't have this wonderful dream!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, bmccrary said:

I'm happy to report Verizon still working great on test22.  I finally rooted with Magisk this time around and restored all of my apps and SMS/call logs.  Everything is still working!  I've tried powering the whole thing off too, several times.  Maybe it's all fixed now and all that awaits me is more Lineage goodness! 😁  I've made a pretty good number of calls, texts as well as MMS messages by now.  It's almost too good to be true!  I have to go to the About screen now and then and make sure I'm still on Lineage and just didn't have this wonderful dream!

I wish I could figure out why Verizon is  not working here.  Did you have to change any settings?  I'm thinking of doing a fresh install wiping user data and see if that somehow does the trick.  Will be a pain, even with backups, if all that work ends up not being successful.  The SIM works fine in the mule phone but not at all with test 22 on the Pro1.

Regarding issues with modem 'n stuff: I do not know if this is possible with Android (I believe it should with a rooted phone at the very least) but with 'real' Linux distributions (see: Maemo) on N900 you were able to send GSM commands to the modem device file with echo. And obviously you could also tail -f and see what responses you got.