Spare Parts

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Background history Alright. So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no wa

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide. The screen part that we ship includes the frame arou

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, auvo.salmi said:

<snip>

You have quite literally killed the joke.

Any who, i'm looking forward to a full tear down of the device. 

I was under the impression that gorilla glass is supposed to be impervious to most drops.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

You have quite literally killed the joke.

Any who, i'm looking forward to a full tear down of the device. 

I was under the impression that gorilla glass is supposed to be impervious to most drops.

I think Gorilla Glass 3, which the Pro1 is using is more scratch is resistant, the focus on withstanding drops came in a later version of Gorilla Glass.

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I think Gorilla Glass 3, which the Pro1 is using is more scratch is resistant, the focus on withstanding drops came in a later version of Gorilla Glass.

Which is unfortunate, because we can add scratch protection to the screen.  We can't easily add drop protection.  *cough*pro2 hint*cough*flat, bezel screen*cough*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, divstar said:

Screen arrived in perfecr condition and looks like a perfect fit. Will report once I got to replacing it.

Thanks. Could you take some photos of the interior when you have it opened? Not the least am I interested in the battery, to see if this is also something we can easily find.

As mentioned above I (in vain) searched for the numbers on the one in the FCC approval, So I have a vague hope of some label or different print that can help us.

Pro1_Battery_FCC_Crop.png

• Like 1

Actually I am of the opinion, that I might not have to open the lower part of the phone. In theory I would open the upper part with just the screen. But I will take pictures regardless of whatever I have to open to replace it.

Edited by divstar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, divstar said:

Actually I am of the opinion, that I might not have to open the lower part of the phone. In theory I would open the upper part with just the screen. But I will take pictures regardless of whatever I have to open to replace it.

Looking from the side partly opened, it looks to me like there in addition to the 7 visible stickers are two screws that can not be accessed directly. Both close to the flex cable, one 'under' it, and one closer to the front edge (Close to the 7 respectively M closed).

See Noir's answer below 😁

You are right, the first thing is separating the upper and lower assembly, meaning you do not have to access the lower part/battery to replace the screen.

Sorry Eske. You'll get pictures soon.

• Thanks 3
21 minutes ago, Noir said:

You are right, the first thing is separating the upper and lower assembly, meaning you do not have to access the lower part/battery to replace the screen.

Awesome!

7 hours ago, Noir said:

Did you have a reason for disassembling a Pro1, or did you do it just to see how to do it? :-)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, david said:

Did you have a reason for disassembling a Pro1, or did you do it just to see how to do it? 🙂

It's an urge. I need to disassemble everything. Don't lend me a Pen. I don't have a Pro1 yet, otherwise I would already done it.

Edited by Noir
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Noir said:

It's an urge. I need to disassemble everything. Don't lend me a Pen. I don't have a Pro1 yet, otherwise I would already done it.

:-)  You don't have a Pro1, but you already know how to disassemble it?

2 hours ago, Noir said:

I got the exact same urge, And I'm not quite sure how I have been able to restrain myself from talking it a part. Perhaps because I know that in the unlikely event of messing it up disassembling it, it would not be easy to replace (yet)

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, david said:

🙂 You don't have a Pro1, but you already know how to disassemble it?

Kind of, yes, and we all had access to the picture of the  Pro1 in pieces Chen posted on twitter, which helped a bit. Due to my work-background I'm very used to disassembling phones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, divstar said:

I finally replaced the screen - and took some photos (using my daughter's S8) while at it. Will post them as well as some comments today or tomorrow, so stay tuned.

One thing ahead: the Elephone U screen fits perfectly.

Congratulations!  Thanks for taking the photos. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from them.

• Like 1
On 12/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, divstar said:

This is what the screen looks like... but everything still works.

IMG-20191229-WA0001.jpg

Background history

Alright.

So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no water involved).

I ordered a replacement as suggested on AliExpress. I ordered the screen on the 29th of December, it arrived on the 20th of January, I believe. I did not get to it until today.

Replacing the screen

The actual display seems to be the same as the one for the Elephone U / U Pro models. Replacing the screen is - probably - rather easy, though I managed to make some mistakes, which resulted in it not being a 100% fit (edges are sharp and do not sit as tight as those of the original screen).

Here's a comparison between the old screen (broken, on the left) and the new one (on the right).

Comparison: broken screen on the left (on the phone), new screen on the right

Despite them looking different, the right one perfectly fits into the phone.

Remove these 5 screws; there is no need to remove the screw-protecting thingies, because there are no screws beneath them

Remove the screw-protectors on the 5 screws. There is no need to remove the other protectors as there are no screws beneath them.

Once you unscrewed it, you have to carefully pull / push the display-frame (probably using some tools) in order to not break anything, especially not the frame itself.

Once done, carefully disconnect the 2 connectors on the back of the screen.

Display-frame disconnected

Now that the frame is disconnected, carefully remove the screen as to not break the frame. I had a hard time removing the top and the bottom part of the screen, because this is where it seems to have been glued the best. The sides were where I started at. Use a little heat to make the glue cooperate.

Screen and frame separated (display frame on the right laying on the front - so we are seeing the back)

Now that the screen is separated (I had to tear of the top rather violently, because it simply did not want to let go of the frame), clean the frame as nicely as you can.

Hint: it seems there is some sort of thin rubber string around the phone. You might want to keep that in place. Now that you see the frame on the right, you'll notice that the screen fits perfectly.

Hint: After cleaning the frame of the glue (be careful near the top as it contains the front camera as well as the notification LED, the speaker and possibly more), you might want to use the thin stripes that came with the phone in order to help the display stay in proper position at the edges. I must admit I have no idea if they fit there or do any good, but they seem to improve the stability of the display.

I personally had to get my wife to help me "insert" those stripes between the display and the display frame after I put the display on the frame already (the glue on the backside of the new display already started working).

Finally you will have some fun attaching those 2 connectors back in place, but once you did this - it is nearly done.

My personal opinion

It took me ~50 Euro, ~3 weeks to arrive and ~2 hours of work - not as easy for a newbie as I'd like, but I got the job done and it works just fine. I am also under the impression that the replacement screen is better than the original - in terms of contrast. Now I cannot prove it, but it just looks like it.

Anyhow: it really is easy to access and I believe I should buy another screen just-in-case...

Hopefully most readers read out of curiosity and not because they need to replace the screen. But in case you do: it is pretty do-able.

Edited by divstar
Added "Elephone U / U Pro"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 15
21 minutes ago, divstar said:

Replacing the screen

Thanks a million! I better buy one of those as a spare...

And now we can easily see what was meant by the extra two holes, making access to the lower screws easy when the screen part is off!

• Like 2

Comparison: broken screen on the left (on the phone), new screen on the right

Despite them looking different, the right one perfectly fits into the phone.

How did it look different?

Remove these 5 screws; there is no need to remove the screw-protecting thingies, because there are no screws beneath them

Remove the screw-protectors on the 5 screws. There is no need to remove the other protectors as there are no screws beneath them.

I count 7 screws.  Do you not need to remove the two that are to the sides of the hinge?

Once you unscrewed it, you have to carefully pull / push the display-frame (probably using some tools) in order to not break anything, especially not the frame itself.

This is because the black frame on the left in the below picture is glued to the silver part of the phone (still attached to the keyboard) on the right in the picture?

Display-frame disconnected

Now that the frame is disconnected, carefully remove the screen as to not break the frame. I had a hard time removing the top and the bottom part of the screen, because this is where it seems to have been glued the best. The sides were where I started at. Use a little heat to make the glue cooperate.

So the screen is on the side not showing of the black plastic part of the frame that you removed?

Screen and frame separated (display frame on the right laying on the front - so we are seeing the back)

Now that the screen is separated (I had to tear of the top rather violently, because it simply did not want to let go of the frame), clean the frame as nicely as you can.

So this is showing the back side of the screen and the back side of the black plastic frame and you would then flip the black plastic over and somehow attach the flipped over screen to that side?  How does it attach?  Only glue?  Did you reuse the glue that was there, by heating it?

Hint: After cleaning the frame of the glue (be careful near the top as it contains the front camera as well as the notification LED, the speaker and possibly more), you might want to use the thin stripes that came with the phone in order to help the display stay in proper position at the edges. I must admit I have no idea if they fit there or do any good, but they seem to improve the stability of the display.

Do you mean that came with the "screen" rather than "phone"?  

I personally had to get my wife to help me "insert" those stripes between the display and the display frame after I put the display on the frame already (the glue on the backside of the new display already started working).

So there is glue already on the back of the new screen and you also added strips that it came with?

My personal opinion

It took me ~50 Euro, ~3 weeks to arrive and ~2 hours of work - not as easy for a newbie as I'd like, but I got the job done and it works just fine. I am also under the impression that the replacement screen is better than the original - in terms of contrast. Now I cannot prove it, but it just looks like it.

Very reasonable from a cost perspective.  That's interesting about it possibly being better.

Anyhow: it really is easy to access and I believe I should buy another screen just-in-case...

I think a lot of people will be doing this. :-)

Hopefully most readers read out of curiosity and not because they need to replace the screen. But in case you do: it is pretty do-able.

Thanks again!  This was very valuable information to have, both from the explanation of how to do it, as well as the end results and it working well.

Okay... so.. I guess I have one more issue after screen replacement, though I must confess I am unsure whether this feature even used to work at all, namely automatic dimming of the screen.

What I know for sure, is, that it does not work anymore. And I can't access the sensor programmatically to tell if the sensor(s) even work.

Can any of the pro1 users check? Does someone have an idea of how to verify light- and proximity sensors?