Spare Parts

After about 20 days use, today my Pro1 got its first "baptism". I dropped it on to the ground outdoors.

I was standing on a concrete floor with a rough patch nearby. Needless to say, Murphy's law at work, the phone hit the rough patch .

Nothing broke (phew!) but the aluminium back case got two ugly dents.

I'm thinking of ordering a spare back shell for a future replacement (later on when it's more damaged from daily use). A screen replacement (Elephone U pro) is on the plans too, just to be a bit future proof, and if I found a battery I'd get one too.

Does anybody know if Fxtec is already supplying spare parts for the Pro1? If so, how should I go about ordering. Via Customer Support? Thanks

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Background history Alright. So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no wa

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide. The screen part that we ship includes the frame arou

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, agent008 said:

After about 20 days use, today my Pro1 got its first "baptism". I dropped it on to the ground outdoors.

I was standing on a concrete floor with a rough patch nearby. Needless to say, Murphy's law at work, the phone hit the rough patch .

Nothing broke (phew!) but the aluminium back case got two ugly dents.

I'm thinking of ordering a spare back shell for a future replacement (later on when it's more damaged from daily use). A screen replacement (Elephone U pro) is on the plans too, just to be a bit future proof, and if I found a battery I'd get one too.

Does anybody know if Fxtec is already supplying spare parts for the Pro1? If so, how should I go about ordering. Via Customer Support? Thanks

Nothing yet about spare parts from F(x) Tec.  My guess is they can't get into the spare parts biz until they catch up on orders and have stock on hand.  You can certainly try asking them, because anyone here is just guessing.

Nice that you escaped your potential disaster with minimum consequences.  🙂

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Also, there is still hope that the different kinds of keyboards will be available to buy as parts at some point.

As I ordered my X directly from FxTec rather than through IGG I also asked them if they could bill me a few extra keyboard prints but they refused saying maybe later on.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Slion said:

As I ordered my X directly from FxTec rather than through IGG I also asked them if they could bill me a few extra keyboard prints but they refused saying maybe later on.

Yes, as of now it doesn't seem possible. I asked them about the option, too, when changing my order from QWERTZ to QWERTY since there were no QWERTZ devices available at the time, and got a similar response. My impression was that they hope they'll be able to offer spare keyboards later, which I guess means when or after the X is in full production.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Yes, as of now it doesn't seem possible. I asked them about the option, too, when changing my order from QWERTZ to QWERTY since there were no QWERTZ devices available at the time, and got a similar response. My impression was that they hope they'll be able to offer spare keyboards later, which I guess means when or after the X is in full production.  

I too had hopes for extra keyboards, and really wonder why they do not offer them. I mean if we pay before they are ordered from production, what have they to loose?

But am surprised of the quality they have.... Having used mine as a daily driver for over a year, I do not see even the slightest sign of wear where more white are exposed.

The keys on my Lenovo X1 Yoga Thinkbad (20FQ) usually last about three months(!) before the paint have been worn through on Ctrl and arrow keys, and as it looks like the same principal idea on the Pro1 (Transparent  key, a white layer, and an almost fully covering black layer on top exposing the white layer as the symbols)
So I pessimisticaly feared that the durability of the Pro1 could be similar, And as clearly not an issue, the paint quality must be quite good!
If I use a magnifying glass it could look like FxTec have even added an additional transparent layer, for increased durability (it is thinner or not present on the early preproduction unit though, so might not be the same for all Pro1s out there)

...Hmm we are leading this thread astray, I better look for a spare part thread we can move this to....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

If I use a magnifying glass it could look like FxTec have even added an additional transparent layer, for increased durability (it is thinner or not present on the early preproduction unit though, so might not be the same for all Pro1s out there)

At some point in time (before production), they wrote something about improving the durability of keyboard, if I remember well. They did not write details but maybe this is one of the differences, or the difference itself. 🙂

• Like 2
13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I too had hopes for extra keyboards, and really wonder why they do not offer them. I mean if we pay before they are ordered from production, what have they to loose?

My guess would be that it's simply a matter of supply. Somehow it looks as if Fxtec managed to source the best smartphone keyboard hardware they could get, but now they're somehow at the supplier's mercy with regard to availability and quantities.  And I can see why they wouldn't want to stock a lot of spare QWERTZ keyboards while a few people are still waiting for their QWERTZ phones...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

My guess would be that it's simply a matter of supply. Somehow it looks as if Fxtec managed to source the best smartphone keyboard hardware they could get, but now they're somehow at the supplier's mercy with regard to availability and quantities.  And I can see why they wouldn't want to stock a lot of spare QWERTZ keyboards while a few people are still waiting for their QWERTZ phones...

Ah yes, I had not considered that the supplier might not be able to deliver enough to both cover the demands for the phones and additional user requested spare parts. If that is the case the phones should obviously have the highest priority.

It has been a while since I've been on the forums.  I looked around, but couldn't find anything indicating new information on sourcing parts, so I'm posting a new topic.

Do we have a source for replacement batteries yet?

Do we have a source for replacement USB ports yet?

I don't *need* the battery now.  I'm getting close to needing a USB port.  It could be anything, but it seems like a problem with the connections on the tab in the port not making proper contact with the cable end.  I can sometimes get it to work better if I flip the cable upside down or tilt the cable connector up or down.  This is on multiple, different brands of cables.

If we don't have a 3rd party to source these from, has anyone managed to get Fxtec to send them the parts?  I'm in the USA, so not I'm not really fond of the idea of sending my phone all the way to the UK, especially with shipping issues during COVID.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, david said:

Do we have a source for replacement batteries yet?

Do we have a source for replacement USB ports yet?

Battery and replacement screen are currently available at their their Indiegogo page, however, I don't know for how long.

I also hope these parts will be available to purchase soon directly from them, especially the USB panel... and maybe the keyboard.

• Like 4
Just now, VaZso said:

Battery and replacement screen are currently available at their their Indiegogo page, however, I don't know for how long.

I also hope these parts will be available to purchase soon directly from them, especially the USB panel... and maybe the keyboard.

Thanks VaZso.  I've seen the battery there (the Indiegogo page), but wanted to know if we've found a source of parts other than fxtec.  For instance, we can get the screens through various chinese websites, and those are more reasonably priced than the fxtec screens, I believe.

Regarding the Indiegogo page, has anyone received replacement parts that they ordered through there?  I know the phones aren't ready yet, but I'm wondering if some of those other packages of parts have been sent out.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, EskeRahn said:

But am surprised of the quality they have.... Having used mine as a daily driver for over a year, I do not see even the slightest sign of wear where more white are exposed.

Mine has the paint worn off on the J key (QWERTY layout), where the horizontal, raised surface is for touch typing.  The paint on the F key's raised area is still there.  No other degradation that I can see anywhere else on the keyboard. 

Edited by david
  • Thanks 1
On 1/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, david said:

I sent support an email explaining the situation with my USB port and asking if I could get a replacement sent to me.  I'll report back if/when I hear from them.

Support emailed me today.  They will be sending me a replacement USB port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a related note, I asked support for technical specs on the screws that hold the Pro1 together, so I can try to source those somewhere.

Does anyone know what size they are and have a source for getting them?

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:17 PM, VaZso said:

So... is the "tech bundle" on Indiegogo the only realistic option for getting a spare screen? (short of getting a defective Pro1 for parts, assuming the screen is ok).

I dropped my phone yesterday (common theme here!) and while the screen did not crack, it stopped working (i.e., screen will not turn on) even though the phone still works (notification LED lights up, I feel the fingerprint sensor buzzer going). I opened the screen assembly and discovered that the ribbon connector for the AMOLED panel itself just broke off (it didn't just get dislodged, the ribbon itself tore - see photo). Seems like a very slow and costly option to replace a tiny and brittle connector ribbon... 😭

IMG_20210212_163438 (1).jpg

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

So... is the "tech bundle" on Indiegogo the only realistic option for getting a spare screen? (short of getting a defective Pro1 for parts, assuming the screen is ok).

As @EskeRahn wrote, replacement display is available on Aliexpress.
However, you have to separate original display from the frame and glue the new one in.
So you may need some tools like "guitar picker", but it seems it usually comes together with these replacement screens.

I have changed my screen a few months ago as my original screen started to get spontaneous touch actions.
However, yesterday I had to replace my replaced screen again as it has started to has problems which initially seemed to be "solved" by turning the screen off/on again, but yesterday it became completely dead - it is like a contact problem inside the display which went permanent.
This was the problem.

Be prepared these displays are not perfect, see the corners in the video.
I have tested all of the three spare displays I had and all of them have similar problems and one of them has a big black spot (complete circle) around the middle-left edge when in portrait.

Also, the display I finally put in the phone does not have greenish tint when the brightness is low...
...instead, it is blueish or a bit purple-ish... my previous replaced screen was greenish just like the original...

...but at least I can use my phone again and I could repair it in the very same day it broke...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
5 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

Right... thanks, My biggest concern is that I am quite happy to deal with connector ribbons and screws, but I haven't fared well dealing with adhesives in phones...

But you might be able to find a local trustworthy repair shop, where you could bring the device and screen, and have them replace it. I do not know if FxTec got hem in stock, but try contacting them at [email protected],
I would wish spare parts were more available, too, I personally would like to have a few things in store for the years to come.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jjarmasz said:

Right... thanks, My biggest concern is that I am quite happy to deal with connector ribbons and screws, but I haven't fared well dealing with adhesives in phones...

The screen has adhesive around the edges. The middle part of the display which originally adhesive was covered I think for easier disassembly.

You should apply some heat near the edges of screen but avoid excessive heat.
The best is if you have a temperature-controlled heat gun, but use it at the lowest temperature (100 Celsius degree for me) and a bit away to not stress the plastic parts (or even the display, but it is not important now 🙂 ).

Then try to gently separate the display and frame using a slim guitar picker.
Ensure to not stress the frame mechanically, so do not break it.
If the glue don't want to detach, some more heat may be needed, try to apply it to go below the screen but still keep distance and not too warm heating.

It is simpler than it sounds, but some tools like a proper heat gun is necessary, hair dryer does not sound to be a good tool for it...

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4