Spare Parts

14 minutes ago, divstar said:

Okay... so.. I guess I have one more issue after screen replacement, though I must confess I am unsure whether this feature even used to work at all, namely automatic dimming of the screen.

What I know for sure, is, that it does not work anymore. And I can't access the sensor programmatically to tell if the sensor(s) even work.

Can any of the pro1 users check? Does someone have an idea of how to verify light- and proximity sensors?

I have this application installed and it displays light intensity and also proximity sensors values (however, the latter has a "digital" two states of 0 or 5 cm).
I think it is suitable for you to test if the sensors are working. If not, then maybe there is some misplacement near these sensors behind the screen's glass.

Edited by VaZso
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Background history Alright. So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no wa

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide. The screen part that we ship includes the frame arou

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

Posted Images

Okay so the good news is: the sensors appear to be working. The bad news is: my phone does not switch in WhatsApp for example to the ear speaker when close to the ear as it used to do... hm..

Edit: seems fixed after restarting the phone... now apps recognize proximity and brightness sensors. Sorry for the hussle.

Edited by divstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, divstar said:

Okay... so.. I guess I have one more issue after screen replacement, though I must confess I am unsure whether this feature even used to work at all, namely automatic dimming of the screen.

What I know for sure, is, that it does not work anymore. And I can't access the sensor programmatically to tell if the sensor(s) even work.

Can any of the pro1 users check? Does someone have an idea of how to verify light- and proximity sensors?

Sure. To access the factory test tool (within the stock rom of course), enter

Settings -> About Phone -> Anroid Version.

You will be presented with a popup, scroll down there and tap 3 times quickly on the build number:

Screenshot_20200127-195008.thumb.png.54023ab4824a58855212e193b90b806c.png

The options below are proximity- and Ambient light sensor test.

To you and others: be careful with the others. One option dials emergency without any further warning!

The two matching tests are checked on my screenshot:

Screenshot_20200127-195258.thumb.png.0387485dbe5ebe55803d4432aa9e746c.png

edit: You ninja-edited your post.

have you tried turning it off and on again?

Edited by Noir
  • Thanks 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, Noir said:

Sure. To access the factory test tool (within the stock rom of course), enter

Settings -> About Phone -> Anroid Version.

You will be presented with a popup, scroll down there and tap 3 times quickly on the build number:

Screenshot_20200127-195008.thumb.png.54023ab4824a58855212e193b90b806c.png

The options below are proximity- and Ambient light sensor test.

To you and others: be careful with the others. One option dials emergency without any further warning!

The two matching tests are checked on my screenshot:

Screenshot_20200127-195258.thumb.png.0387485dbe5ebe55803d4432aa9e746c.png

edit: You ninja-edited your post.

have you tried turning it off and on again?

Thank you a lot for your post! I currently have an odd problem: my screen keeps turning into landscape mode even though I haven't opened my keyboard. Perhaps the gyrosensor or a sensor responsible for it broke? Do you know which of these tests I can try to find out if the responsible sensor is broken?

9 hours ago, divstar said:

Thank you a lot for your post! I currently have an odd problem: my screen keeps turning into landscape mode even though I haven't opened my keyboard. Perhaps the gyrosensor or a sensor responsible for it broke? Do you know which of these tests I can try to find out if the responsible sensor is broken?

That would be the "Hal_a" sensor. See also this

Seems like this is on topic for this thread.  Does anyone know where to get spare batteries yet?  If the battery was to blame for not charging (probably not as likely as a poor USB port connection), then a replacement could be put in place.  Either way, I'd definitely like to find where these are sold and stock up on some for the next 10 (hopefully) years of phone use!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, david said:

Seems like this is on topic for this thread.  Does anyone know where to get spare batteries yet?  If the battery was to blame for not charging (probably not as likely as a poor USB port connection), then a replacement could be put in place.  Either way, I'd definitely like to find where these are sold and stock up on some for the next 10 (hopefully) years of phone use!

I dont think we can store batteries for 10 years

we sure can buy 4 or 5 batteries but the problem is these will died in 3 to 4 years regardless of in use or not.

Also i have seen few people here having issues with charging. most likely the problem is usb port as plugin in and out the cable several times a day might hurt the usb port. so i would highly recommend to get the magnetic adapter. i am using one and it saves the usb port from wear and tear

Edited by kashif
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, kashif said:

I dont think we can store batteries for 10 years

I'd say this really depends on how good the batteries are... and luck? I have a lot devices with now crap batteries, but also quite the counter example.
My OpenPandora is 9 years old now. The original battery (4240 mAh Li-Po) it came with is still at 87% of design capacity. It's not a phone and wasn't charged that frequently in comparison, but a well kept spare could survive in a similar fashion. Though maintaining a certain level of charge could turn out being tedious since the Pro1 battery isn't easily swapable without tools, but yeah.

1 minute ago, elvissteinjr said:

I'd say this really depends on how good the batteries are... and luck? I have a lot devices with now crap batteries, but also quite the counter example.
My OpenPandora is 9 years old now. The original battery (4240 mAh Li-Po) it came with is still at 87% of design capacity. It's not a phone and wasn't charged that frequently in comparison, but a well kept spare could survive in a similar fashion. Though maintaining a certain level of charge could turn out being tedious since the Pro1 battery isn't easily swapable without tools, but yeah.

My original batteries for my Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro are still good. The important thing is to remove it from the device (or just insert a piece of plastic as an insulator at a terminal), If the battery is charged and left with only self discharge, it keeps it charge for years, and can still be charged. Just make sure that you charge them say every second or third year, so they do not reach 0V. That is the problem with newer phones, you can not leave them truly off and hence the battery will be murdered, if the phone is just kept in a box, without occasional re-charging.

I also got (cheap) camera batteries that are very old, and they usually survives too.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kashif said:

Also i have seen few people here having issues with charging. most likely the problem is usb port as plugin in and out the cable several times a day might hurt the usb port. so i would highly recommend to get the magnetic adapter. i am using one and it saves the usb port from wear and tear

I agree, but if the USB port is as modular as they said, that should be easy to replace.  Do we know where to source that yet, anyone? 

16 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

I do want to mention that i bought 6 Nokia E7s 8 years ago. they are all packed in original boxes and never been used.

But after every 2 or 3  months i charge them all together. 

and after 8 years all the phones have good batteries and in good health.

so i guess if you regularly charge them, dont over charge them and keep in dry and dark place  then these batteries can go on for long time.

• Like 2

Let's just say that I'll take my chances. :-)

We just need to find out what the model number is for the battery, so we can buy them.  Screens and batteries and USB ports and screen cables.  (keyboard is an unknown)  Those are the weak links over time.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, david said:

Let's just say that I'll take my chances. 🙂

We just need to find out what the model number is for the battery, so we can buy them.  Screens and batteries and USB ports and screen cables.  (keyboard is an unknown)  Those are the weak links over time.

We know the numbers - but just can not find them..

Pro1_Battery_FCC_Crop.png

5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

We know the numbers - but just can not find them..

Pro1_Battery_FCC_Crop.png

I guess I was making an assumption that those may not be what we need.  Either way, we don't have the source for the batteries yet, which is odd.  You would think we'd be able to find it based on the specs too (3150 mAh, etc), but no luck with that either.  I hope they aren't ultra rare.

Edited by david
13 hours ago, netman said:

Are these the same cells as in the production units though?

Funny that you said that.  I was just wondering about that too.  I don't know if how much the product can be changed after FCC approval.  Maybe non-radio changes are fine.

The USB port, for instance, looks soldered onto the main board in the photos.  We were told a modular one was used that doesn't need to be soldered.  So some things could be different in production units.

Edited by david
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, netman said:

Are these the same cells as in the production units though?

Yeah good question. We will have to see when one is disassembled. I have been unable to find anything matching. But could well be I just do not know where/how to look.

4 hours ago, david said:

Funny that you said that.  I was just wondering about that too.  I don't know if how much the product can be changed after FCC approval.  Maybe non-radio changes are fine.

The USB port, for instance, looks soldered onto the main board in the photos.  We were told a modular one was used that doesn't need to be soldered.  So som things could be different in production units.

I tend to think that things like batteries could be changed without having to recertify the device as it has nothing whatever to do with the radios, as stated.

We could always take the approach I used on my old VHS movie camera. I removed the sealed lead battery from its battery pack and turned it into an adapter that went via speaker wire to a lawnmower battery I wore in a backpack while filming. I ran it for days and never EVER ran out of juice while filming. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, silversolver said:

I tend to think that things like batteries could be changed without having to recertify the device as it has nothing whatever to do with the radios, as stated.

Well strictly the battery comes with some electronical components, so in principle one battery could send out substantial electric noise, that the original did not. Not very likely to say the least though.

7 hours ago, silversolver said:

We could always take the approach I used on my old VHS movie camera. I removed the sealed lead battery from its battery pack and turned it into an adapter that went via speaker wire to a lawnmower battery I wore in a backpack while filming. I ran it for days and never EVER ran out of juice while filming. 🙂

...and I thought I was the only one with enough screws loose to do crazy stuff like this! LOL 😁

Edited by Polaris
  • Haha 3
  • 6 months later...
12 minutes ago, sgparry said:

@EskeRahn thank you kindly.

Do we have some kind of Wiki system where we gather all this kind of stuff? Forums are good for Q&A, but some stuff like this might be easier to find and maintain through a Wiki...

You are welcome. And no wiki I'm aware of.