Spare Parts

8 minutes ago, VaZso said:

As @EskeRahn wrote, replacement display is available on Aliexpress.
However, you have to separate original display from the frame and glue the new one in.
So you may need some tools like "guitar picker", but it seems it usually comes together with these replacement screens.

I have changed my screen a few months ago as my original screen started to get spontaneous touch actions.
However, yesterday I had to replace my replaced screen again as it has started to has problems which initially seemed to be "solved" by turning the screen off/on again, but yesterday it became completely dead - it is like a contact problem inside the display which went permanent.
This was the problem.

Be prepared these displays are not perfect, see the corners in the video.
I have tested all of the three spare displays I had and all of them have similar problems and one of them has a big black spot (complete circle) around the middle-left edge when in portrait.

Also, the display I finally put in the phone does not have greenish tint when the brightness is low...
...instead, it is blueish or a bit purple-ish... my previous replaced screen was greenish just like the original...

...but at least I can use my phone again and I could repair it in the very same day it broke...

I might eventually consider that route (and/or get the help of a trustworthy repair person as @EskeRahn suggested). I have replaced screens on some old phones before, and I far prefer to just replace the whole assembly rather than trying to just replace the glued-in AMOLED panel itself. But waiting until Aug 2021 for a $250 kit from FxTec seems a bit much...

• Like 1
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Background history Alright. So I broke my Pro1's screen. I don't know how the remaining scratches came to be, but the first one was the Pro1 falling off outside my bath tube (there was no wa

We send the screen part, not "just the screen" - that cannot be removed without a heatgun, potential damage and it's not something we provide. The screen part that we ship includes the frame arou

Ok, now I do: They're M1.4x2 and any shop that sells small screws should carry them. Also, they're easy to find in black, too, looking good enough for me to not bother with the black stickers anymore.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jjarmasz said:

I far prefer to just replace the whole assembly rather than trying to just replace the glued-in AMOLED panel itself

It is something like a double-sided tape kind of glue, I mean not something strong but a somewhat elastic type.
If you don't feel enough experience replacing glued display panels, it is still a good idea to bring it to an experienced / trustworthy repair shop as @EskeRahnsuggested.

I would not wait for a complete assembly if it will be available after August but my phone has a faulty display.

• Like 1

If you want to glue rounded display into frame, then use gel glue with good temperature resistance.

From my own experience I can not recommend chinese glue like B7000 etc. Better is use transparent pattex gel glue...only disadvantage is long time waiting for hardening - approx 2hours fixed-5hours fully fixed. 

...and yess $250 for display unit is crazy price!!!

It is same price as for new original (and always working) display for S10 samsung.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, CornholioGSM said:

..and yess $250 for display unit is crazy price!!!

It is same price as for new original (and always working) display for S10 samsung.

I bet the number produced for the S10, have at the least three zeroes extra, so not unexpected that they can do it cheaper...

Anyway the $219 offer it is a bit more than the display. Also frame, narcissistic camera, sensors, pcb and not the least assembly, it all adds up. And the offer includes a battery too.

So sure it is a lot of money to shell out if a display breaks, but I doubt they have a high profit margin on them.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I bet the number produced for the S10, have at the least three zeroes extra, so not unexpected that they can do it cheaper...

Anyway the $219 offer it is a bit more than the display. Also frame, narcissistic camera, sensors, pcb and not the least assembly, it all adds up. And the offer includes a battery too.

So sure it is a lot of money to shell out if a display breaks, but I doubt they have a high profit margin on them.

...if i will have cracked display with cracked frame and broken flex then yess...i will buy whole unit...because is not another way.

But if will be cracked only display then is better to order only display and then fix it ...

Elefone display can be purchased for around $50 - maybe less...and yess...it can come defective unit...but defective unit can come from fxtec too.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, CornholioGSM said:

Elefone display can be purchased for around $50 - maybe less...and yess...it can come defective unit...but defective unit can come from fxtec too.

Oh indeed, already bought a few as spares on AliExpress to have in stock should I ever need them.

My point was the full assembly might not be that unreasonable priced, as the tag isolated could indicate.

What the price for a qualified technician to swap a display would be would off course vary around the world, but here in Denmark I highly doubt I could have someone else do the swap for less than $100+shipping,
So for those without the skills (or a skilled friend) the whole assembly could easily be an attractive alternative with lower risk.

Not saying that anyone should do one or the other. But after a few heated days I'm a little tired of people blaming FxTec in all kind of ways.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Oh indeed, already bought a few as spares on AliExpress to have in stock should I ever need them.

My point was the full assembly might not be that unreasonable priced, as the tag isolated could indicate.

What the price for a qualified technician to swap a display would be would off course vary around the world, but here in Denmark I highly doubt I could have someone else do the swap for less than $100+shipping,
So for those without the skills (or a skilled friend) the whole assembly could easily be an attractive alternative with lower risk.

Not saying that anyone should do one or the other. But after a few heated days I'm a little tired of people blaming FxTec in all kind of ways.

wauuuu...i want to live in Denmark 😄 

If you mean $100 for all or for only work?

I am service technician for more than 15 years and nobody here in czech gives me 50 for work.

Reality is...approx $35 for one hour work (without vat) in authorised service...and service technician have from it around 15 mabe.

I have my own service and my price for customers is approx 25-30...but if is it work for another company then it is 15-20.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

"Narcissistic camera: lol I like that.... 

But about the F(x)tec "tech kit: going for $219 right now: like you say, in includes a few things, like a spare battery. It's actually not a bad thing. But if I just need a screen assembly and don't want a battery I shouldn't have to pay for that too. Anyway... I'll keep you guys posted about what I do.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, EskeRahn said:

What exactly is included in the tech bundle on IGG? It says 2x screen protector, 1x battery, 1x screen.

It doesn't mention anything about providing a selfie cam, pcb, sensors, and assembly kit. I thought it was just providing a screen like you can get for elephone u from aliexpress.

58 minutes ago, lawliett said:

What exactly is included in the tech bundle on IGG? It says 2x screen protector, 1x battery, 1x screen.

It doesn't mention anything about providing a selfie cam, pcb, sensors, and assembly kit. I thought it was just providing a screen like you can get for elephone u from aliexpress.

They are providing not just the display but the entire frame, that is, the enitre top half of the Pro1/Pro1X.  They even offered (don't know if they still do) choice of the new sapphire blue or the Pro1's black for the frame.  So, yes, includes everything that goes in that half of the phone except the backplate, I would assume.  From Alirexpress, you only get the display replacement and have to remove (unglue) the old one.  For those who are handy, a good deal.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, lawliett said:

Hmm, I was sure it was the entire top part, but I might have misunderstood that..

Can any of those that got a "screen" for self replacement help clarifying here?

54 minutes ago, Hook said:

They are providing not just the display but the entire frame, that is, the enitre top half of the Pro1/Pro1X.  They even offered (don't know if they still do) choice of the new sapphire blue or the Pro1's black for the frame.  So, yes, includes everything that goes in that half of the phone except the backplate, I would assume.  From Alirexpress, you only get the display replacement and have to remove (unglue) the old one.  For those who are handy, a good deal.

Okay then that's a good deal. Cause I thought $10 screen protector + $50 battery + 2x$30 screens (price on aliexpress for screen) = $120, so where are they getting $219 from? But if it includes all those things, then it makes a lot more sense.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Unfortunately, all attempts to identify the battery type and manufacturer and to find an alternative source have so far been unsuccessful...

Yes I also tried rather hard to dig. We just might be in a situation where it is a standard battery, but the tiny print/cabling is different
After a lot of digging I did find the similar size (at the least it seemed, haven't got the exact measurements). But the cable looked wrong.
There are some numbers on the FCC-images, but was unable to find them.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Hook said:

Umm. I just emailed fxtec and they said you only get the screen??

My message: When you say screen, do you mean just a screen or the entire top half of
the phone including the selfie cam, pcb, sensors, etc.

Fxtec reply: The screen included in the tech bundle is just the screen on its own (in case you want or need to replace your Pro1(X) screen).

So how is it  any better than the elephone u screens from aliexpress? I'm confused...

Edited by lawliett
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, lawliett said:

Umm. I just emailed fxtec and they said you only get the screen??

My message: When you say screen, do you mean just a screen or the entire top half of
the phone including the selfie cam, pcb, sensors, etc.

Fxtec reply: The screen included in the tech bundle is just the screen on its own (in case you want or need to replace your Pro1(X) screen).

So how is it  any better than the elephone u screens from aliexpress? I'm confused...

It is, at the minimum, a screen plus the metal frame (they ask you for the color). So you don't have to mount the display.  What else from the top half would depend on how those things are mounted to the frame, which I haven't looked at closely.  If all the other things are mounted on a pcb also attached to the frame, maybe it doesn't give you that pcb.  Not willing to open up my Pro1 just to find out, but it is still a lot more than just a display and saves you from having to deal with adhesive.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Hook said:

It is, at the minimum, a screen plus the metal frame (they ask you for the color). So you don't have to mount the display.  What else from the top half would depend on how those things are mounted to the frame, which I haven't looked at closely.  If all the other things are mounted on a pcb also attached to the frame, maybe it doesn't give you that pcb.  Not willing to open up my Pro1 just to find out, but it is still a lot more than just a display and saves you from having to deal with adhesive.

For anyone who wants to see the display, here's a video link

Go to time stamp 02:16 and you can see him holding up the display replacement

Edited by lawliett
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, lawliett said:

For anyone who wants to see the display, here's a video link

Yeah, forgot about that, which is funny since I first posted that video in this forum.  I didn't remember it having such a good look.  That thing he is waving around in his hand, that is what I believe you get.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lawliett said:

Indeed it that makes it very confusing that they answered "The screen included in the tech bundle is just the screen on its own"
We better tag @Erik here to sort these two seemingly contradicting statements out.

@Erik: If it really is just the screen, why do the Perk ask people to select the colour? Something does not add up here.

No way they send you 'just the screen'. Sometimes the people at support power down their brain momentarily. This causes an idiotic response, which triggers panic in the community.

FxTec has never sent 'just a screen' to any Pro1 owner. It is always the upper part of the phone. Just the screen refers to the fact you receive half a phone. Choosing which color (colour for my British friends 🙃) indicates a frame around "just the screen".

If they were to send you "just a screen" it would involve you prying the old one from its frame, cleaninout glue residue, applying new glue, replacing the screen and putting it all back together without causing any damage yourself. I honestly believe <25% of Pro1-owners is capable of doing just that. Even the technicians who assemble this thing in the factory make mistakes (three screen issues myself).

So in short, you will be receiving the upper half including the frame. Your assumption is based on the answer given to you by an employee who's brain at the time was partially operational. This in turn could be caused by your question 👹.

Edited by DieBruine
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, DieBruine said:

It is always the upper part of the phone

From the images it would be more accurate to describe it something like "The upper part, less the plate with the hinge-mechanism". But let us await an official answer to be sure.