Apps IN GENERAL - reccomandation&help

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first utility apps I install on any Android device I own are FX and Termux. Together they turn a smartphone or tablet into a full-featured pocket computer. The former is in my opinion the best fil

I would stay away from QuickPic.  I used to swear by it, but it is now owned by Cheetah Mobile a notorious spyware publisher.  I replaced it with Gallery Pro by Simple Mobile for which your descriptio

I'm no photo expert, but I think it might come out better if you open the window before taking the photo.

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Does it support message encyrption (PGP)? Or does anyone know of any modern app that does (and doesn't route your mail through their own servers where the store and read it, like some of the more modern-looking Android apps actually do)? For the time being, I'm still using the rather dated K-9 Mail, which does offer message encryption. It doesn't offer identities with different SMTP servers for one mail account, like Thunderbird does. 

It's strange that Aquamail doesn't do PGP since I believe it was adapted from K-9.  You might want to take a look at FairEmail (both F-Droid and Play Store).  I haven't used it, but looks interesting and have been thinking I may try it.  I don't use PGP and am pretty happy with Aquamail, but this has tempted me to think about open source more.

24 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah I see. It cost a whole US dollar. I will do the investment in the experiment.... 🤣

Well the Pro version does offer the transform part, but landscape only, and no re-samplings it seems, what I lack are these quick ones (shown in portrait to have all the options without scrolling):

(The last menu looks practically identical for Crop and for Resize, when starting with a 4:3 image)

Screenshot_20200105-143834.png

Ah I see. It cost a whole US dollar. I will do the investment in the experiment.... 🤣

Well the Pro version does offer the transform part, but landscape only, and no re-samplings it seems, what I lack are these quick ones (shown in portrait to have all the options without scrolling):

(The last menu looks practically identical for Crop and for Resize, when starting with a 4:3 image)

42 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Screenshot_20200105-143834.png

6 hours ago, Hook said:

DropBox

Criticism of Dropbox [Wikipedia] – those are the reasons why I never used Dropbox... I try to get along without commercial cloud offerings as much as I can anyway, but then again I have the privilege of being able and willing to run my own Nextcloud server. I do still use Google Drive, though, for those rare applications for which there is no adequate Nextcloud support, like exchanging hiking tracks between my desktop and the Locus map app (see above) on Android...

6 hours ago, Hook said:

TextMaker - A very complete word processor for Android, with versions for Windows and Linux

6 hours ago, Hook said:

PlanMaker Basic - Good spreadsheet

Thanks for reminding me to check these out on Android.

I'm mostly using LibreOffice on Linux (and Windows, until my desktop migration to Linux 2½ years ago) and overall I'm quite happy with it, but not only is there no compatible Android alternative, I'm also beginning to lose patience with a few things, like some ages-old, annoying bugs with German punctuation typography which they just do not seem to be willing to fix, or a new tendency to change the application's behaviour to what Microsoft Office has always be doing, even though LibreOffice's previoius way to do it had been better ever since, from a usability point of view. I've already looked into TextMaker for Linux just a few weeks ago and I did like what I saw.

• Like 1

4 posts.  That'll show him.  🤣

The change resolution drop down is nice.  In Gallery Pro, that is on the main menu, not the editor and, yes, you have to type in numbers.

I still don't trust Cheater Mobile.  Or maybe I don't trust my firewalling skills.  😉  And I'm happy with Gallery Pro, but yes, I *was* very happy with QuickPic.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Hook said:

It's strange that Aquamail doesn't do PGP since I believe it was adapted from K-9.  You might want to take a look at FairEmail (both F-Droid and Play Store).  I haven't used it, but looks interesting and have been thinking I may try it.  I don't use PGP and am pretty happy with Aquamail, but this has tempted me to think about open source more.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now that you mention it, I feel like I've heard about FairEmail before... I'll be having another look at it.

Edited by Rob. S.
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

In my first reply above, I mentioned Tasker – did you have a look at it? From the examples for what it can do, on their website:

Not yet, cause it made unexceptional stop on my old test mobile. Have to try it with some better one, since this is not working properly.. But the description is promising. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:29 AM, Hook said:

I would stay away from QuickPic.  I used to swear by it, but it is now owned by Cheetah Mobile a notorious spyware publisher.  I replaced it with Gallery Pro by Simple Mobile for which your description is appropriate.  If you are using an old pre-Cheater Mobile apk, then you are ok, but folks should be careful.

Gallery Pro is available for free on F-Droid Sorry that was already known!

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo

Well, I'll start this off with a recent discovery I made, and thankfully I haven't seen anyone mention it here yet, but in case anyone else out there uses this app, I wanted to share the news: Speedtest by Ookla does some concerning things when you're connected to wifi networks which severely impacts battery life on multiple devices I own. I didn't care to investigate it to the level of using Wireshark, but suffice to say, you're better off not having that app installed period.

So, with that out of the way, I'll second previous mentions of GSam and 3C as being pretty essential apps, and I'll expand a bit on why GSam is good to have: latest builds of Android have severely limited the amount of detail and information the stock battery stats app displays to you. It's pretty unfortunate because it used to give almost as much detail as GSam does.

I'll also offer Solid Explorer as being my go-to file manager for Android. It's paid, but it's absolutely worth it if you do any serious amount of file management. It also has an FTP server plugin which, with 5ghz AC wifi, gives you far better transfer speeds than USB will give you due to MTP mode limitations in Android.

On the note of paid apps, Google Opinion Rewards gets around having to pay for apps since the surveys come in regularly enough if you travel around with any regularity, and yes yes, I know, boo Google overlords and data mining, but at least they're giving you money for this. Of course, it's in the form of Play Store credits, but this is where paying for apps comes into play: just use your balance to pay for apps, and you're not out anything. I've even been buying music (shocking, I know!) through Play Music with this, and they give you DRM-free downloads to boot.

Building on that, music! Poweramp is hands-down the greatest music player app to ever exist, in my opinion. Also paid, but there is a free trial so you can see what I mean. The level of power and functionality that Poweramp brings to your phone easily makes it into a better music player than anything else you own, and with the 24-bit Hi-Res output, which is already supported with the Snapdragon 835 chipset, it even rivals high end audio equipment DACs.

I don't do much with photo editing myself, but the odd times I have had to do it on the go, I found Autodesk's Pixlr to be very useful, and it's free!

GPS Status is a neat app that gives you info on a ton of the sensors in your device, beyond the obvious with GPS. The pro version also automatically downloads GPS assistance data at regular intervals so that it's always up to date on the device itself, which is also pretty handy.

Barcode Generator and Barcode Scanner are both pretty useful apps, and while you can technically scan with the Generator app, it requires a few taps to get to that point, while the Scanner just immediately opens to scanning. The Generator is very useful in that you can scan in any barcodes for things such as rewards cards that force you to use their junky apps just to display the barcode for your account to scan at point of sale. Makes the wallet so much lighter and gets rid of junky apps (I'm looking at YOU Scene Rewards)

Audio Recorder by Sony is an excellent app for exactly that purpose, very minimalistic and offers a lot of powerful features. Sadly, Sony has stopped supporting the app as of November last year, so it's no longer listed on the Play Store, but it is available on apkmirror, and it was and is a free app. It had some kind of transcription service that also went along with it, but that has obviously been discontinued, but I never had need of it for that purpose.

AndroIRC is the best IRC app I have used, it's free with ads, or paid to remove, and given what the Pro1 is, I'm surprised nobody has brought it, or any other IRC apps, up yet!

Similar vein, ConnectBot is an excellent PuTTY clone for Android, does Telnet/SSH/local, though for local I personally just use Terminal Emulator because I guess I just always have, and it's the original app for that purpose on Android, heh.

ZArchiver is a great archive utility for dealing with pretty much every format under the sun, and it doesn't choke when opening very large archives.

And this post wouldn't be complete without mentioning my personal favourite launcher Nova Launcher which has excellent landscape mode support, I use it on my ASUS TF300T which is an older Android tablet with a keyboard dock, and it always looks great and works very well in landscape as well as portrait.

I could probably keep going, but I think I've covered the lion's share of what I didn't see represented previously, but if anyone's looking for suggestions about specific use cases for things, I'm more than happy to offer what I know! I've used Android personally since the Donut days, and used to be involved with a lot of work professionally in more recent times, so I have come across a lot of apps that are useful for various things over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I would like to recommend two camera apps that I have used on many phones before. Just installed it on my Pro1 and everything works flawlessly, even capturing in RAW format works like a charm:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flavionet.android.camera.pro  // for photocamera usage

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flavionet.android.cinema.pro // for filming

Both Camera FV-5 and Cinema FV-5 work and the photo quality seems very nice. RAW/JPG format is too large to add here, but i added a shot with resized JPG output, pixel size is 3000x4000px on the original.

Webp.net-resizeimage.thumb.jpg.71ece4763c0f1f19db4b8b72220a73e2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, Swond said:

Hi all. There is a toppic for apps, that works fine with landscape mode. Lets proceed also with apps in general and try to help each other for some hints or to review usefull apps. Feel free to ask and answer. 

This is not about landscape-specific, so I guess it won't be profitable to merge that together. 

So at the beginning my case is about phone automation. While using Symbian phone, I have app called BestProfiles (or similar). This app can set some phone features related to specific situations - time, location, both together etc. For example when it is 10PM, it turns off Bletooth, data connection and silents the phone until 6AM (when it also turn on wanted functions). It allows only family calls. Or you can set the phone silent when you come to a bank for example (location restriction).

My question is: does anybody know such an app for this automated stuff? I was looking for apps called "*profile*" on Android, but none of what I tried met my expectations.

@Swond Regarding phone automation, look for Situations in the google play store.  There was a "Nokia Situations" back in "the good 'ol days" and this android version was created (and still maintained) by the same people behind the original.  It does exactly what you are looking for...if this condition (wifi, bluetooth, location, time...etc), then do xxxx.  I use it to switch ringtones, volume (like an old symbian profile) automatically when I'm at work.  It works like a champ; solid.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pastillilabs.situations2

https://pastillilabs.com/

Edited by KingOfTerrible
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first utility apps I install on any Android device I own are FX and Termux. Together they turn a smartphone or tablet into a full-featured pocket computer. The former is in my opinion the best file manager Android has, while the latter gives me a fully-featured Linux terminal complete with the apt package manager. From there I can install ssh and I've got a connection to my desktop PC from anywhere with an internet connection for file transfer and media streaming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Thanks for "Fx", didn't know that yet. Looks good!

Same here.  I used ES File Explorer for years and then they went crazy with ads and bloat and I had to start freezing it in between uses.  Glad to have a good replacement option.  Thanks for posting it.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, david said:

Same here.  I used ES File Explorer for years and then they went crazy with ads and bloat and I had to start freezing it in between uses.  Glad to have a good replacement option.  Thanks for posting it.

Same here. I was using ES file explorer.

I could not find it anymore in the play store.

I liked that you could use the app to create a shortcut (on home screen) to a specific folder in the main storage. I did not manage to do this with fx.

Edit:  actually it is possible under fx; there is a kind of bookmark sign when you press on the three dots menu of a specific folder of the main storage.

Edited by OKSun
  • Like 1

Here's my list of essential apps:

X-plore File Manager (a desktop-like file explorer with two panes, root, versatile file viewer and archiver, ... the app is so good, I donated a few bucks :classic_biggrin:), Automate by LlamaLab (the better Tasker with graphical flowchart editor), all of the Simple Mobile Tools, AFWall+, MAT or My Android Tools (to analyse and deactivate other app's activities, receivers, services and file providers), XPrivacyLua Pro (working well with Riru Core and Riru EdXposed), aCalender+ (awesome calendar widget), Nova Launcher (Folders on the desktop and the drawer are synchronised!), MyLocalAccount (the only way I know of to keep contact information out of Google's reach), 1by1 and Music Folder Player (both are folder based players that allow me how to organise music the way I like it), Termux (the best terminal emulator, with its own repository for SSH servers and more), F-droid (that's where you get those sweet open source apps from), oandbackup or OAndBackupX (better than Titanium backup), Logcat Extreme Pro (comes with logcat in a floating window!), ...

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 1