22 minutes ago, atfrase said:

I've tried quite a few different launchers now and I've only found one so far that handles landscape mode well. (TL;DR, it's Total Launcher).

The Pro1 default Quickstep supports landscape mode but only using a "two halves" approach that screws up widget placement (my old 1x1 and 2x1 widgets all get stretched to 2 rows, and can't be positioned across the center line of the screen), and it also lacks a lot of other pretty basic customization options.

Tanks for your analyse, and I agree to a large extent. Though I do find the build in quickstep solution of two blocks of equal side next to each other or on top of each other quite ingenious for a simple launcher, and thus simple to use for anyone, the only drawback is that a widget must stay within one of these blocks. And that is not a bad price for most.

But obviously independent layouts are more flexible (including allowing for larger widgets) - at the price of more complex setup. Unfortunately the Total Launcher's auto-rotate is not really working - though it can do both orientations.
And I would wish that it had a 'mode' where when adding an icon it was thrown in and the other as well, so we only had to move it in place, as many (if not most) icons will be relevant for both direction, it would be easier for the normal user to remove the ones that are not.

• Like 2
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've tried quite a few different launchers now and I've only found one so far that handles landscape mode well. (TL;DR, it's Total Launcher). The Pro1 default Quickstep supports landscape mode bu

I really should read this thread more slowly. For a brief moment I was trying to figure out if launching lawnchairs was a traditional cultural activity or a new sport of bored rednecks. At some point

I am now in contact with lawnchair developer. Maybe will be possible to add function for set  different layout for portrait/landscape or rotating screen as "two halves"  🙂

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Hook said:

That would be Launch Time,...

One thing that really bugs me with that one is why they place the icon in forced positions where they are the hardest to reach? Why not start from the bottom - that is where the thumbs can reach easiest both portrait and landscape and both opened and closed...

7 hours ago, atfrase said:

Total Launcher. It's a pain to set up because you have to manually recreate the traditional layout

Following your post I thought I would try it again. Then I realized I already tried it and gave up on it cause the setup was indeed such a pain. I tried to set it up again as I was sitting on the train anyway then quickly decided it was not worth the effort 😁

• Like 2
On 8/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, EskeRahn said:

And I would wish that it had a 'mode' where when adding an icon it was thrown in and the other as well, so we only had to move it in place, as many (if not most) icons will be relevant for both direction, it would be easier for the normal user to remove the ones that are not.

Time to set up:

Yes it takes a bit of time to set up total launcher, but there is a back up function, so you build it only once (hopefully, I have not tested it yet!). On any new phone, the set up of the home screens is what take most time, and I never found good solutions to back it up (e.g. for saving some time after factory reset, or even when changing phone).

Setting up landscape - portrait

I contacted the developer of total launcher. It is possible to copy and paste grids (incl apps) from portrait mode into landscape mode.

1. select the objects.

2. press the copy button on the top.

3. turn to the different orientation.

4. press the add button with a small paste icon on the top.

Folder you might have set up in portrait will work as well in landscape.

Select as default launcher when setting up

If (like me) you select total launcher "just once" when setting up to use "quickstep" at the same time, you will encounter some bugs in total launcher set up (e.g. shortcut not working, direct dial not working). So you have to select it as default launcher under settings - default applications. You can revert to quickstep later if you do not like total launcher.

Edited by OKSun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:21 PM, Flo said:

I like the way that Total Launcher handles the different orientations but every time I open or close the keyboard it shows the pages overview. Is there any way to prevent that?

I asked the developer this question as well:

He suggested to go in "total launcher" options: then "Launcher options" > "Key & gestures". Reset the key with the order "Open menu". In my case this was the key "menu". I set it to no action. It seems it solved the bug. (you probably also need to install edge null; without it it is difficult to open the keyboard without touching any part of the screen and launching actions!)

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2020 at 2:59 AM, itsdevilslettuce said:

If  there is no option within the launcher's settings, it might still be a part of the beta program. Within the launcher settings check for updates also, that likes to force with the MS servers for updates rather than the play-store. 

Note: the app titled 'preview' is not the same as the normal version's beta program. 

EDIT: I should have been a bit more clear: in the launcher settings -> home screen -> more

Landscape support is now in the stable release also (no more just beta).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Landscape support is now in the stable release also (no more just beta).

Thanks I just tried it, unfortunately landscape mode is just a stretch of your portait configuration and as such is ugly and not convenient.

• Sad 1

I still would like to see a rotate-in-place method.  I realize that works well for icons and symmetrical widgets, but not for widgets that aren't circle/square, but there's compromises with every option and that doesn't affect me as I don't use any such widgets anyway 😉

For the two-halves approach, i can imagine a kinda compromise of what I said above, perhaps in landscape, allow one center widget (thus on both halves).   When rotated back to portrait, that widget gets rotated in place so it's still centered.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Craig said:

I still would like to see a rotate-in-place method.  I realize that works well for icons and symmetrical widgets, but not for widgets that aren't circle/square, but there's compromises with every option and that doesn't affect me as I don't use any such widgets anyway 😉

For the two-halves approach, i can imagine a kinda compromise of what I said above, perhaps in landscape, allow one center widget (thus on both halves).   When rotated back to portrait, that widget gets rotated in place so it's still centered.

I think the optimal would be if we could arrange things independently for the two directions BUT when adding a new item in one direction it also tries as best it can to add it in the other, but allows us to rearrange independently and even to remove for one direction only.
The automatic system could then have different 'modes' like the 'two-half' approach, 'keep centre and corners', 'start filling bottom up' and what ever other algoritms that can be thought up.

• Like 2
On 8/26/2020 at 7:30 AM, EskeRahn said:

I think the optimal would be if we could arrange things independently for the two directions BUT...

For widgets this should include allowing different dimensions used in the two directions. E.g. You might want a widget in landscape to be wider than what is possible in portrait.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone tried the Microsoft Launcher which now works in landscape mode? I was happy with Nova but some of its advanced stuff, like a scrolling dock doesn't play very nicely with the new Lineage 17 (Android 10) gestures so might try another one until this gets fixed.  Nova say the issue is with Google and that hey can't help.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Has anyone tried the Microsoft Launcher which now works in landscape mode? I was happy with Nova but some of its advanced stuff, like a scrolling dock doesn't play very nicely with the new Lineage 17 (Android 10) gestures so might try another one until this gets fixed.  Nova say the issue is with Google and that hey can't help.

It seems to work, but has the same silly stretch and squeeze as most launchers. Quite silly to assume that an icon layout suited for 1:2 also is suitable for 2:1

A few launchers offers different grids for the two orientations, The stock browser has a quite clever the block approach with two halves next to each other or on top of each other. Simple to use/setup, but does prevent widgets from crossing the line dividing the screen in two halves, so not ideal either.

Yes it is the same in that aspect, We do have a thread somewhere with different launchers and pros&cons, Though that is made for Stock, it might well have relevant input for Lineage users also. Will try to see if I can dig it up....
Edit; Merged it into an older Launcher-thread

• 3 weeks later...

Does Total Launcher (or any other Launcher) support moving from page to page vertically in landscape mode? Nova only goes horizontally and their support told me, that that is not going to be changed.

So basically the opposite of what the picture shows should happen: up/down instead of left/right

Screenshot_20201214-202830_Nova_Launcher.png

Edited by Jacob_S
added screenshot