How to control notification light?

Is there way to customize notification LED? Problem I'm facing right now is that while connected to power and already fully charged, LED is shining in bright green. And because I normally charge my phone overnight, this means that it illuminates half the room the whole night.

I've tried to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koo.lightmanager3, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We really need stickies in this forum for info like this.  I only really learned this here myself.  Now, if I'm going to charge overnight, I use an older slow charger (or from a PC i leave on overnigh

It was controllable early on, but they changed that, as the placement of the individual RGB had the effect that in some angles one were more or less blocked, giving a wrong resulting colour. So what i

Or put it face down while sleeping 😁

10 minutes ago, gelraen.ua said:

Is there way to customize notification LED? Problem I'm facing right now is that while connected to power and already fully charged, LED is shining in bright green. And because I normally charge my phone overnight, this means that it illuminates half the room the whole night.

I've tried to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koo.lightmanager3, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

Maybe try Light Manager to set up custom notifications.

It was controllable early on, but they changed that, as the placement of the individual RGB had the effect that in some angles one were more or less blocked, giving a wrong resulting colour. So what is best/worst is hard to say. But as so many details, it COULD be an option people could choose.

ADD: If is still controllable here, though the simple app that previously worked for me no longer does, the one linked in the above two posts does work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That LED is definitely too bright making it not so nice to use the phone while charging in the dark.

It won't keep me awake at night though 😁

Edited by Slion
9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It was controllable early on, but they changed that, as the placement of the individual RGB had the effect that in some angles one were more or less blocked, giving a wrong resulting colour. So what is best/worst is hard to say. But as so many details, it COULD be an option people could choose.

I would appreciate even controlling whether it's on or off for a particular event and level of brightness. Controlling color is much less important for me here 🙂

• Like 1

I just tried Light Manager and it's working. There is advertisements but hopefully only when the app is open, i.e. during the set up.

Let's see if it doesn't consume too much battery.

Edit: it's called Light manager 2

Edit 2 : I just tried setting different colors for different apps.

Edited by Jordi
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Jordi said:

I just tried Light Manager and it's working. There is advertisements but hopefully only when the app is open, i.e. during the set up.

Let's see if it doesn't consume too much battery.

Edit: it's called Light manager 2

If it does the job just buy it 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

I always do that with phones for this very reason.  Also those pesky emails in the middle of the night!!

(If you do not want to be disturbed, use aeroplane mode. Quick to turn on/off and saves battery)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, CornholioGSM said:

...i mean that best app for led colors, flashing etc is LightFlow

Nope, doesn't work. I mean, it does work for app notifications, but not for what I want to do: LED still lights up when charger is plugged in, despite having a rule in LightFlow to turn it off when charging.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, gelraen.ua said:

Nope, doesn't work. I mean, it does work for app notifications, but not for what I want to do: LED still lights up when charger is plugged in, despite having a rule in LightFlow to turn it off when charging.

With root access you may also look into Tasker.  Can do just about anything with that and it's plugins though there is a learning curve.  Chances are though that someone has already tried to do what your asking and may be able to google and find out what steps they took with the app. 

Edit: Had name of the app wrong.  

Here's someone on Reddit asking the same thing for another phone and someone replying with how to do it with Trigger.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/2qa3vh/request_disable_led_notification_light_while

This one has a time profile attached also but it's possible with Tasker. 

Edited by Siani_8
6 hours ago, gelraen.ua said:

...and what about set black color for charging?  🙂

EDIT ... correct...not working for charging notification (

Edited by CornholioGSM

The green led really is quite annoying and too bright at night. With nowadays fast charging, there's not so much point on having charging notification leds at all, as you know that when you stick the charger cable in, the battery will be fully charged in an hour at max.. Compared to older phones, when charging took several hours and it was useful to monitor it somehow. Of course having a charging notification is useful in some situations, when your phone is powered off so you won't know  otherwise if it's charging or not... But would be nice to for example to have the charging notification led connected to a notification, and by dismissing the notification you could dismiss the led notification too. Just like it works with other notifications, like messages.

37 minutes ago, auvo.salmi said:

The green led really is quite annoying and too bright at night. With nowadays fast charging, there's not so much point on having charging notification leds at all, as you know that when you stick the charger cable in, the battery will be fully charged in an hour at max.. Compared to older phones, when charging took several hours and it was useful to monitor it somehow. Of course having a charging notification is useful in some situations, when your phone is powered off so you won't know  otherwise if it's charging or not... But would be nice to for example to have the charging notification led connected to a notification, and by dismissing the notification you could dismiss the led notification too. Just like it works with other notifications, like messages.

I'm repeating my self from many other threads, but do not do fast charging for a daily basis. It will shorten the lifespan of the battery.
Sure the battery is replaceable but not easy user-replaceable.

Fast charging is like junk food. Fast and convenient, and fine for occasional use, but very unhealthy for daily usage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, John Veness said:

What should we do instead?

Use a slow charger. Either an old one, a charger with both a slow and quick charge ports, or usb port on a PC, or any other equipment with a low power output.
I would suggest to stay at 5W and under (Many old chargers offers 5V 1A, and thus 5W).
The problem is that the worst condition for a battery is charging heated. See e.g. this

(This is a practical solution, though the print on the slow ports say 2.1A, it actually only provides 5W to the devices I tested, just as wanted)

See also this thread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We really need stickies in this forum for info like this.  I only really learned this here myself.  Now, if I'm going to charge overnight, I use an older slow charger (or from a PC i leave on overnight). Quick charger is now reserved for when I'm getting ready to go out and see my phone isn't full enough, as it can add a lot of charge real quick.

• Like 5