What is your dream OS for this phone?

Frankly,  I just want smoothly operating Android, which Lineage is fast becoming. I've used Android for 10 years and have assembled a fine set of Apps that do what I want in pretty much the way I want them to do it, allowing me great productivity, especially with a physical keyboard. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

Just get rid of the bugs in the stock software and I'm good.

I mean that's fair, I'd like a linux os with anbox for long term support for the phone. I'm amazed they havent even upgraded to 10 yet.

52 minutes ago, altomes said:

I mean that's fair, I'd like a linux os with anbox for long term support for the phone. I'm amazed they havent even upgraded to 10 yet.

That's the advantage of Lineage.  We can be updated to 10 maybe before IdeaLTE does it.  And even if we can't, security updates can be delivered.  My Samsung TAB S from 2014 is on the Lineage version of Nougat, but it has the June 2020 security update.  I'm not arguing if you prefer Linux, but just saying that Lineage can keep Android going far past Google's official support.  So long as apps don't exceed the capability of the hardware, things can go on a long time.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2
On 7/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, VaZso said:

For me, an up-to-date Maemo with Android app support...

Bearing in mind the Pro1 is missing some of the best bits (hardware) of the N900, IR transmitter, FM transmitter, the 2 bits that really made the N900 a joy to use (for me anyway) Maemo would probably work well on the Pro1.

But personally I'd opt for a full sailfish port, myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, MickH said:

Bearing in mind the Pro1 is missing some of the best bits (hardware) of the N900, IR transmitter, FM transmitter, the 2 bits that really made the N900 a joy to use (for me anyway) Maemo would probably work well on the Pro1.

Interesting how different usage patterns are. I never used either of these functions (nor have I missed them on the phones that did not offer them).

This make me wish for the dead ARA-project. It would make so much sense to have a common base, and then add what each individual preferred.
It could serve a lot of different low volume user groups. e.g. we could have had a keyboard slider as a special frame, And used standard components on the screen and back sides.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MickH said:

That is also my hope as it is the closest successor of Maemo which may also have Android app support.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

That the one bit I'm missing on Pro1.

I used to visit my local TV & Audio retailers and play skits with Pierogi.

Hit the little widget and it would issue over 500 IR commands in 50 seconds, with every TV and Hi-Fi doing something different, much to the annoyance of the staff. 😂

• Haha 2

There is no dream OS.  Everything has tradeoffs.  But mainline linux with real X support with good touch UI window manager  and full android app support with optional full google safetynet (tap-to-pay etc).  And if we're dreaming it can run x86 and x64 apps too.  And since already getting ridiculous with dreams, also it can run dos & windows apps.

• Haha 3

And for hardware, I'd hoped for IR and mentioning it for years, only major hardware feature we're missing.

I've never had fm transmitter but that'd be a lot easier than bluetooth in many situations. And if it could broadcast hdfm wouldnt even have quality concerns.

• Like 2

I would have first said Windows or Linux for usability and compatibility between different programs and OS. However, I am on the go most of the time and I don't know how displayed time and such stuff would scale with Windows. Apart from that, I would love to have a trackpoint on or next to the keyboard (like in the middle of the space key for thumb usage) which would allow the usage of cursors.

Currently I'm very happy with LineageOS in landscape mode, especially combined with the Kiwi Browser and desktop extensions. Standard desktop mode and uMatrix really saves me a lot of time and anger when browsing through the web. If I get the keyboard to exactly behave as I wish, this will be perfect for me.

• Like 1