Pro¹ X – state of production and delivery

I thought it might make sense to start a new thread after the Pro¹ X practically having become a new device, with several months ahead of us before we can hope to get one. 

Here's F(x)tec's latest info which came in via IndieGogo right now:

Dear Pro1-X backers,

Firstly, we would just like to say thank you to those who sent us feedback over the last month. We read every single one of the IGG comments & responses and have tried to be as open and frank about the situation as we can. 

Despite the challenges for businesses globally, our commitment to the Pro1-X is full steam ahead and we want more than anything to succeed in delivering a smartphone that we are proud to stand behind to all of our backers. Ultimately, our end goal and vision for the device has not changed. We still aim to deliver the world's first consumer smartphone with Lineage OS out of the box, and a powerful Ubuntu Touch OS keyboard smartphone. 

Recent manufacturing updates:

• PCBA re-design is well and truly underway. Our design team has been working on the schematics of the Pro1-X for the new chipset, focussed on the re-wiring and redesigning. The team has also started working on the schematics for the 48MP Sony IMX586 Sensor ahead of April. So far, no issues have been encountered, progress has been good and we are on track to complete the schematic works by the end of the month. Following this, we will work on the layout in April.

l0ughf7c5vpjuucxor2k.png

fcvxwbfqklq0orrl4qqi.png

• OS Development - we have also made some headway with the software development for Ubuntu Touch OS & Lineage OS. Qualcomm reference devices have been sent out to select developers to begin working on OS development for Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 chipset. We’ve taken this approach so that our devs can start making progress with the additional OS's on a 662 architecture in parallel with the SoC redesign, hardware testing, and manufacturing.

Work has also begun internally with Ubuntu Touch OS and one of our devs has got the OS up and running on a 662 reference device.

vbesxphccbwb5glwoveh.png

• Ubuntu Touch OS - given the number of comments & emails we have received regarding Ubuntu Touch OS development and its expected functionality with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 chipset, we wanted to give you as much info as we can:

The Head of Technology from UBPorts Foundation has estimated that it will take up to 2 months to reach a stable Ubuntu Touch OS experience on the Pro1-X. This timeline is dependent on the availability of members from their core team and community porters to work on this project as they are super busy at the moment. With this in mind, mainline Linux support is expected to begin once the schematics are done (by the end of the month). 

We are aiming to have Ubuntu Touch OS stable by the time we start shipping devices, but this is ultimately dependent on how much progress our devs can make between now and August. If Ubuntu Touch is not quite ready/stable by then, we will give you the option to 1) keep Ubuntu Touch as your selected OS, or 2) change to Lineage OS or Android OS. You will then be able to flash Ubuntu Touch OS onto your Pro1-X at a later date once further progress has been made. After shipping devices in August, software development will continue to ensure we can eventually bring you the best Ubuntu Touch experience possible in terms of stability and OS upgrades.

Other Ubuntu Touch info:

• Ubuntu Touch will work with a USB-C adapter for HDMI output. 
  • The maximum resolution when docked to an external screen is 1080p.

We have recently updated our FAQ section, so please take a quick look if you still have any questions!

As always, if you have any questions or queries, please get in touch with [email protected] & we will get back to you as quickly as we can!

Reason to stay optimistic after all, I'd say, despite the additional waiting time...

Cheers,
Robert

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Production does indeed seem to be starting...  

Please stop. You made your points, there are people here who invested in this project knowing that, you are doing a disservice to the intent of the project and to those that have supported this f

Since I ordered my first Fxtec phone, a Pro1, in Sept 2019 (which also seems to become the one to arrive last...) I've read everything Fxtec communicated (plus every comment in this forum), including

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Slion said:

Gonna take a while since they are still using Windows 7 🤣 Windows 10 was released 6 years ago, I reckon we should expect that much delay then.

I know you're joking, but most engineering software went to subscription plan and normal licences are for older versions of it without win10 support. And they works the same so the choice is easy. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news indeed! Although I see some additional "7-10 days" there in the video for "internal redesigns" because of unavoidable differences in the new PCB, if I understood it correctly...

April Pro1-X update

qxlyh0sx4oy1c9m1q95f.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers,

This last month has seen good progress with the Pro1-X redesign and at the moment we are still on schedule to complete the PCBA redesign this month as planned. Whilst we would usually be traveling from the UK to visit our manufacturing team in China, with the restricted international travel in place we’ve been collaborating with them each day remotely.

Manufacturing updates:

Following our regular team catch-up on Monday, one of the engineers from the Shenzhen team has sent a video update for our Backers. Listen to find out how they are getting on with the Pro1-X redesign, as well as estimates and timings for the next steps in line with our manufacturing timeline. 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/536857322

• Having almost finished redesigning the schematics, our engineers will be ready to send them to Qualcomm for approval and verification by the end of this week. 
  • Once we have received the license for the Qualcomm Snapdragon 662, the main PCB and the PCB display will be sent to the factory for testing. ETA: 20th April. 
  • Both the fingerprint sensor and the camera will be redesigned once the samples have been fully tested in the factory. 

Software updates:

Dualboot is still on the cards for the Pro1-X. 

• Once we have completed the PCBA / software testing our developers can begin working on this. 

Ubuntu Touch

• Mainline Linux support will begin once the schematics have been completed (by the end of this month). 
  • The HDMI works with a Type C (standard) adapter. 
  • The HDMI will allow for mirroring i.e. displaying different things on different displays.
  • The maximum resolution is 1920×1080.
  • The refresh rate is 60MHZ.
  • You will be able to multi-monitor with internal and external screens

If you have any further questions or queries, please get in touch with [email protected] & we will get back to you as quickly as we can!

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1

...and asChristian Svensson noted in the comment section some odd wording

• The HDMI will allow for mirroring i.e. displaying different things on different displays.

it certainly sounds like unusual mirroring... 🤣
I HOPE it is a typo and they meant "...allow for more than mirroring...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Off topic but I wish we got some info on Android 10 progress for the original Pro1 too..kinda feel shafted as an original customer. (I don't expect 11 but at least finish 10 please, it still has drivers for the 835)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

The maximum resolution is 1920×1080

That's rather underwhelming, then again I don't think the Pro¹ can do better. In fact it seems many flagship devices have rather disappointing resolution for external displays. I think even my Huawei P30 Pro was rather limited too. Not that I care so much wherever I have a high resolution screen I usually have a PC attached to it. 

8 hours ago, npatel1050 said:

Fingerprint sensor will be redesigned - wonder what means. I know on the Pro1 right now that is a pain point for some

Mostly the PCB I think.

• 4 weeks later...
May Pro1-X Update

ez9jldgvelgi9ol4jigg.png

Dear Pro1-X backers,

We are three months into our revised re-design and manufacturing timeline and have progressed according to plan with the revised layout and schematics of the Pro1-X. The last few weeks we’ve had the team working extra hard to complete the design work before taking few days off for the national holiday 

• Since our last update, we have received feedback from Qualcomm that a couple of things need changing with regards to the schematics and layout of the Qualcomm motherboard emulation. This has since been amended, and sent back to Qualcomm for approval and verification, to which we expect to receive feedback this week. 
  • Following last week's Chinese public holiday, the design team and engineers are now back to work and will be sending the main PCB and the PCB display to the factory for testing. 

mngaydrbuv5mcjk8oukx.png

tzsaonctscld3khpdvxr.png

In other news:

• The Fingerprint sensor now has a new module. We’re expecting the performance to be more accurate than the Pro1 and keep you updated once we have a working prototype. See below the blueprint of the fingerprint no power key integration. 

set487qqd463scrlprgi.png

• With the schematics now almost complete, we will begin working on Ubuntu Touch OS and Lineage OS support.
  • We have also secured a new batch of CPU’s from our components supplier, ready for when we begin manufacturing Pro1-X’s in August.

If you have any further questions or queries, please get in touch with [email protected] & we will get back to you as quickly as we can!

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 5 weeks later...

June Pro1-X update

kmu6fdrlpbdscgwqathg.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers,

Hope you are keeping well, this month’s update will be short and sweet. Overall, we continue to make steady progress with the Pro1-X’s internal redesign and are on track to meet the original manufacturing timeline.

Manufacturing update:

• Now that the layout and schematics of the main PCB are finalised, this means we can begin working on the initial firmware set up and verification of the hardware functions and features. 
  • Although this has taken slightly longer than originally planned due to local covid cases, restrictions on travel, and amendments requested by Qualcomm, we are now ready to progress onto the next stage.

The below images show the plain PCB before we began to sample and test the SMT (mounting components, chipsets etc.) in the factory.

opxckptdkgz6czukxlcg.png

xkplcdizpmlj6jmqwgps.png

The below image shows the Pro1-X’s main PCB with a freshly mounted SD 662. 

hug0phqcar4nu43mtkio.png

• In parallel, we have also verified and finalised the mini pcb, FPC around the mainboard. See the image below of the new keyboard component:

t3byhyc4mpvd8k1iptuo.png

• The new 48MP camera module has arrived and is ready to tune.

flszo7gsnsfsw9k2aq5f.png

Software updates:

• On the software front, we are currently looking into the initial drivers and optimisation of Android OS on the new SD662 board, before sending our very first Pro1-X unit to software developers. 
  • The sourced Qualcomm reference device for SD662 will be really useful with regards to mainlining work, and we have already contacted the relevant developers who will be working with us on this. See below the QRD from Qualcomm. 

tws33fdlbpfkdhscmgkz.png

• Further progress updates will be provided next month for both Lineage OS and Ubuntu Touch OS with the new SD662 board.

Engravings:

• Those that have backed the engraved Pro1-X perk will be sent out an engraving guide in the next few weeks. This will provide more information on your engraving and the specific ratios that are required by the factory.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, xenon said:

What's the latest on delivery in August, all set ?

BTW - Are we talking about delivery arriving to paying customers on 1st Aug or being sent out on 31th Aug ?

If it arrived on 1st August it would have had to be sent in July which they never suggested was a possibility.

Recent monthly updates have always come shortly after the 10th so we should know this week - hopefully they're still confident.

Edited by suicidal_orange
  • Like 3
On 7/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, suicidal_orange said:

If it arrived on 1st August it would have had to be sent in July which they never suggested was a possibility.

Recent monthly updates have always come shortly after the 10th so we should know this week - hopefully they're still confident.

I don't know what the confidence of a suicidal orange is worth though 😄

• Haha 2
July Pro1-X update

hpkiackwdjujj4mjrtcx.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers,

We hope you are doing well. Here is the latest news from the Pro1-X campaign! 

It’s been a busy month here at the F(x)tec HQ, as the team continues to work towards production and eventual shipping of your devices!

So far, we have made really good progress in re-designing the layout and schematics of your Pro1-X smartphone. Our devs have also made great headway with OS development for both Ubuntu Touch OS and Lineage OS using the Qualcomm reference devices sourced and shipped last month. We have received confirmation from our engineering team that the new boards will be completed and fully certified by mid-September, and from then we can begin manufacturing.

In other news, factory testing is underway, and our PCBA is fully functional (see below video)!

As mentioned in our May update, we experienced a delay whilst waiting for Qualcomm to approve the amendments we made to the Snapdragon 662 chipset. In addition, Shenzhen has recently experienced a covid outbreak resulting in our engineer team being unable to get into the office and isolating themselves for 21 days. To be honest, this has been a bit of a logistical nightmare seeing as our components suppliers in Taiwan were affected and tough mobility restrictions have only just been lifted this week. This has impacted the delivery of key components required to begin manufacturing devices this month. With this in mind, we have re-evaluated the manufacturing timeline and expect shipping to begin between October and November.

Given the nature and uncertainty surrounding crowdfunding projects, we are aware that not all companies are able to deliver an end product to their backers. However, we want to reassure you that this is not the case with your Pro1-X! Yes, we understand that such delays are not ideal, but we are still standing and pushing on with development and production. We can not wait for you to get your hands on the Pro1-X, and be amongst the first to own our unique horizontal keyboard smartphone, with your choice of either Ubuntu Touch OS or Lineage OS straight out the box. 

Thank you for your ongoing contribution and support to the Pro1-X Indiegogo campaign! As always, If you have any questions or queries do not hesitate to drop us an email to [email protected]!

• Thanks 2

I guess the interesting part of this is the "expect shipping to begin between October and November" part. 

The interesting question now is whether my 2019 order will still succeed in its 3rd attempt to arrive at Christmas!

All good things come in threes, or so they say?

5 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

July Pro1-X update

....with your choice of either Ubuntu Touch OS or Lineage OS straight out the box.

Have I missed some announcement, or am I interpreting what they are writing wrong? Will it initially be available with these two OS only? I see no mentioning of plain stock Android.