LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

I went from O 16.1 to UO 18.1. And apart from my update issue this morning I was of better with UO 18.1 than O 16.1 due to the ghosting input issues. Only thing bugging me is the fact that I don't have high bitrate BT connection on my Ora. But that's it.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

3 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Yeah I am also running 16.1 that tdm created.  I'm sticking with that for now don't see a reason to update to the latest one.

I upgraded from @tdm's 16 to the official one without any real issues, and it also worked nicely 16->17, but the 18 seems to be a bit too rushed out - so we that upgraded are the April fools... :classic_blush: And I even missed the first one, since I was away over eastern.

If we look at the surprisingly short change list going from 17 to 18
https://download.lineageos.org/pro1/changes/
there is only a single one that is marked as specifically related to the Pro1. So not that surprising that things are not all working smoothly, 🤐

I have it on the preproduction unit only, that is not suitable as a daily driver anyway. But as @claude0001 describes it in more kind words, the odd model LOS are using makes LOS sort of useless for a daily-driver, as you have to choose between unsupported and untested.... 🤢

• Haha 1

Really, aside from the car BT thing (which also existed in 16, I never got around to trying 17), 18.1 seems to be working fine for me  Then again, I don't have the keyboard issues because I don't do international stuff.  But really, it seems fast, smooth and stable on my Pro1.  It is true that I am here largely for the security patches and if @tdm  ever returns to updating AICP I will probably go back to that, but Lineage 18.1 makes a great daily driver for me so far.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, Hook said:

if @tdm  ever returns to updating AICP I will probably go back to that, but Lineage 18.1 makes a great daily driver for me so far.

I certainly hope he will 🙂

The issue as @claude0001 pointed out is that LOS is great when it stabilised, but pretty crazy that they immediately remove the older version as supported. A few months overlap - with security updates would be nice. Even what in the broad perspective can be seen as minor bugs, can be crucial for others, so some overlap where people can jump back waiting for a fix (even if it requires a wipe) would be nice. Or simply be hesitant in upgrading until those of us not dependant on it has stumbled on the bugs, and can report if&when they are fixed.

I can fully understand that Danish is not tested (would be more surprised if it was), but Spanish...

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I certainly hope he will 🙂

The issue as @claude0001 pointed out is that LOS is great when it stabilised, but pretty crazy that they immediately remove the older version as supported. A few months overlap - with security updates would be nice. Even what in the broad perspective can be seen as minor bugs, can be crucial for others, so some overlap where people can jump back waiting for a fix (even if it requires a wipe) would be nice. Or simply be hesitant in upgrading until those of us not dependant on it has stumbled on the bugs, and can report if&when they are fixed.

I can fully understand that Danish is not tested (would be more surprised if it was), but Spanish...

I agree completely. But this, in my experience, is how most ROM developers work.  Once they move on to the next version, they drop all support for the previous versions.  However, some ROM dev teams are much more careful about where to draw that line.  The Dirty Unicorns team, probably the best ROM I ever used, would take ever so long before they would declare a new version official and they would maintain the previous version for all that time with security updates even though they weren't doing anymore work on the previous version. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hook said:

But this, in my experience, is how most ROM developers work.  Once they move on to the next version, they drop all support for the previous versions.

I did not think that was the problem here.

If LineageOS 16 and 17.1 still had the Pro1 as build target in their config, the build system would continue to spit out new builds every week. In that process, upstream patches like AOSP security fixes (which are not device-specific) would be included automatically and not require any manual intervention by a device maintainer.

At least this is how I understood things work. Someone with more knowledge about the LineageOS build process may correct me.

I thought the problem here was simply to save resources on the build farm by allowing only one official LOS version per device.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Breeze said:

What google apps are included in MindTheGapps? Don't want to include all the google apps. I'm using open gapps pico with my LOS 17.1 and i like it that way.

It seems to be pretty basic.  Just the service framework, store stuff, google search. No calendar, contacts, maps, gmail, Chrome, etc.  Anything you want to add you are left to download from store, but they aren't installed as system apps.  It may even be equivalent to pico,  Very few Google apps, which is what I want too.  I don't use many Google apps.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Hook said:

It seems to be pretty basic.  Just the service framework, store stuff, google search. No calendar, contacts, maps, gmail, Chrome, etc.  Anything you want to add you are left to download from store, but they aren't installed as system apps.  It may even be equivalent to pico,  Very few Google apps, which is what I want too.  I don't use many Google apps.

The size (200M) seems pretty close to the opengapps nano, the pico is about half the size.
I have not checked what is actually included.

ADD When we find a list we can compare it with this

ADD II, this is the APKs in the ZIP:

product\app\GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter\GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
product\app\GoogleContactsSyncAdapter\GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
product\app\GoogleTTS\GoogleTTS.apk
product\app\MarkupGoogle\MarkupGoogle.apk
product\app\PrebuiltExchange3Google\PrebuiltExchange3Google.apk
product\app\talkback\talkback.apk
product\priv-app\AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt\AndroidAutoStubPrebuilt.apk
product\priv-app\AndroidMigratePrebuilt\AndroidMigratePrebuilt.apk
product\priv-app\PartnerSetupPrebuilt\PartnerSetupPrebuilt.apk
product\priv-app\Phonesky\Phonesky.apk
product\priv-app\PrebuiltGmsCore\PrebuiltGmsCore.apk
product\priv-app\SetupWizardPrebuilt\SetupWizardPrebuilt.apk
product\priv-app\Velvet\Velvet.apk
system_ext\priv-app\GoogleFeedback\GoogleFeedback.apk
system_ext\priv-app\GoogleServicesFramework\GoogleServicesFramework.apk

So Markup is included as well as Exchange not even in Nano, so not 1:1 comparable.

• Thanks 2

And for those interested, an overview of NikGapps:
Downloads - NikGApps | NikGapps Website

What is the difference between OpenGapps and NikGapps?
  • NikGapps supports Split Apks!
  • NikGapps comes with prebuilt YouTube Vanced (v14) and Lawnchair launcher (Till Android Q).
  • NikGapps packages are created from the apks present in my personal device.
  • NikGapps offers separate addon.d scripts for each package that it comes with. Easy to control which package you want to backup/restore after dirty flash!
  • NikGapps follows a different partition mounting mechanism.
  • NikGapps has it's own set of definition of packages defined keeping users feedback in mind.
  • NikGapps has it's own implementation of install configuration (defined in NikGapps.config and debloater.config).
  • NikGapps allows you to choose which partition you want to install the gapps in (/system or /product)
  • NikGapps offers gms optimization saving your battery so you don't have to worry about google services draining your battery while you are sleeping.
  • NikGapps comes with several addon packages for those who only require specific addon and not the whole gapps package.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have experience with LOS Updates and Magisk?

With stock it was a pain in the ass, that one had to install one OTA after the other and always remembering to flash Magisk again to the other slot (and if you miss it once it's bricked). How is that now with LOS+Magisk? There's the May 5th update, can I just install it and the next time there's magisk update I can just install it to the current slot? Or do I need to do the same stuff with the slots?

4 hours ago, dreamflasher said:

Does anyone have experience with LOS Updates and Magisk?

With stock it was a pain in the ass, that one had to install one OTA after the other and always remembering to flash Magisk again to the other slot (and if you miss it once it's bricked). How is that now with LOS+Magisk? There's the May 5th update, can I just install it and the next time there's magisk update I can just install it to the current slot? Or do I need to do the same stuff with the slots?

I don't have experience with Magisk and OTAs although my impression has been that OTAs don't bother it.  I sideload the weekly nightlies (I know, that sounds wierd) and after rebooting to recovery to change slots, I flash the Magisk zip.  I don't think I have to, but I tend to be thorough, and it is so little trouble. I do the same with Gapps even though I don't think I have to.

Edited by Hook

Great. I just used the "updater" from LOS and now my phone doesn't boot anymore. Ending in "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt. Do a factory reset". So far pretty disappointed by LOS. But stock was horrible, too. Is there any ROM out there which is capable of painfree updating? I'm glad I made a backup of my data, but now I need to set up everything again, this sucks.

On the OTA. AFAIK they still only do Total downloads, not deltas. The flip side of that is large packages has to be fetched, the positive side is that they do not need to push the same strict restrictions of a known position, as handling a delta parcel does.

1 hour ago, dreamflasher said:

Great. I just used the "updater" from LOS and now my phone doesn't boot anymore. Ending in "Can't load Android system. Your data may be corrupt. Do a factory reset". So far pretty disappointed by LOS. But stock was horrible, too. Is there any ROM out there which is capable of painfree updating? I'm glad I made a backup of my data, but now I need to set up everything again, this sucks.

Again, I've only ever adb sideloaded the updates, as well as reflashing Magisk and Gapps. It has always gone smoothly for me with both Lineage and AICP.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dreamflasher said:

Is there any ROM out there which is capable of painfree updating?

That's something I would be interested in, too. LOS 17.1 was painless for me so far with OTA updates – but then again it was non-rooted, no Magisk, just LOS + Gapps.

Now that today one of my mandatory banking apps (mandatory even for entering internet banking on the PC) has stopped working, complaining about a modified software/firmware, I'll need root plus the stuff that hides both root and the fact that it's an alternative ROM rather sooner than later.

I guess changing the update procedure to sideloading the updates like @Hook has been doing would be ok for me, although I'd be even happier if I could go on using OTA updates...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, marmistrz said:

I haven't yet updated to 18.1 but on 17.1 I used the "flash to inactive slot" function of the Magisk app while installing the OTAs using the built-in updater.

I'm not sure I understand this, could you elaborate a bit further? (I don't have much experience with root and Magisk; the only device I have had Magisk on so far didn't get any system updates anymore anyway – and with the latest Magisk app update Magisk itself has stopped working there, too, but that's something else again...). Do you mean whenever there was a LOS update you needed to flash Magisk to the inactive slot?

Edited by Rob. S.
5 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

I'm not sure I understand this, could you elaborate a bit further? (I don't have not much experience with root and Magisk; the only device I have had Magisk on so far didn't get any system updates anymore anyway – and with the latest Magisk app update Magisk itself has stopped working there, too, but that's something else again...). Do you mean whenever there was a LOS update you needed to flash Magisk to the inactive slot?

When you're using the LOS updater, at some point it prompts you to reboot to finish the upgrade. At this point you can enter Magisk > Install > Install to inactive slot (after OTA). after this finishes, you can reboot and finish the upgrade.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, marmistrz said:

When you're using the LOS updater, at some point it prompts you to reboot to finish the upgrade. At this point you can enter Magisk > Install > Install to inactive slot (after OTA). after this finishes, you can reboot and finish the upgrade.

Ok, I see! Thanks.

32 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

And looks like if you forget to do that, you brick your device?

If I from now on only do the sideload thing, do I also need to take special care of Magisk?

Edited by dreamflasher