Pro1-X with Ubuntu Touch

I was able to install and use Ubuntu Touch on my Pro1-X after locating the fastboot images on their development server: Jobs · UBports / Porting / Community Ports / android11 / Fxtec Pro1-X / fxtec-pro1x · GitLab. Unzip artifacts.zip for the most recent build, which will have out/boot.img and out/userdata.img.  To install:

unzip artifacts.zip
cd out
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

So far it's pretty decent.  My intended use for the Pro1-X is pocket computer, not primary phone, and I don't think Ubuntu Touch would make sense as a primary phone.  AT&T blocks my SIM if it's inserted in the Pro1-X anyway, so I can't test phone stuff until I get a T-Mobile SIM.

Mouse and keyboard work over usb-c, but I haven't figured out how to get DP-alt mode working.

Physically, the device solid and well constructed.  The small keyboard is fine for now.  

• Thanks 7

Great to hear that it works, strange that the last build looks like it was a month ago (though an actual date would be good as it reads like there were multiple builds within minutes!)

I barely use my phone as a phone (just the occasional call or text) so if it works it's good enough, but I'd like to know why you think it isn't a good option without even being able to try 🙂

• Like 1

Regarding Ubuntu Touch as a phone, perhaps I can further specify that I do not expect to replace my existing phone, but instead to add to it.  UT seems to me like a "linux tablet that also has a phone" experience.  I'll customize it and see how it goes.  I expect the Pro1X to be fun rather than utilitarian, and fun for me means experiments and breakage that won't fly for a primary communications device for someone with children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Index of /uploads/pro1x/ubuntu-touch (robinkirkman.com)

There are some bugs, such as shutdown through the gui not actually shutting it down.  ("sudo shutdown -h -P now" works in a terminal)  Also the keymap is not right; it seems to assume the mappings on a standard US-English keyboard; the labels on the Pro1X disagree with the characters typed in some cases; it seems that the Pro1X function key doesn't do anything, so it's not possible to type a blackslash (Fn+P).  Everything works over ssh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Hi all, 

I've been watching from the sidelines for a little while, so I should probably introduce myself.  

Electrical Engineer from Manchester UK now settled in Tauranga NZ, currently driving a beaten up Cosmo Communicator running Ubuntu Touch (dropped it, radios stopped working, still a nice PDA) looking for a replacement with working telephony, Ubuntu Touch, and a keyboard of course.  

Nice to see the Pro1-X finally rolling out, despite some serious issues beyond F(x)Tec control. Really great to see pics of a Pro1-X running UT, and so shiny fresh out of the box.  

It's a gorgeous looking thing. I think it may be time to retire the Cosmo and get the credit card out.  

• Like 3

I believe the last two lines of your flashing instructions are unnecessary @esialb:

…
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

I believe it's OK to stop after flashing userdata.img, and then when it completes (there should be a progress indicator), just reboot the phone. I'm not 100% sure, but I think those two commands might even hang and confuse people (though they don't cause any harm, they could just be interrupted with Ctrl+C, which is what I did when I tried them while flashing SailfishOS).

Edited by matf
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, matf said:

I believe the last two lines of your flashing instructions are unnecessary @esialb:

…
fastboot set_active a
fastboot continue

I believe it's OK to stop after flashing userdata.img, and then when it completes (there should be a progress indicator), just reboot the phone. I'm not 100% sure, but I think those two commands might even hang and confuse people (though they don't cause any harm, they could just be interrupted with Ctrl+C, which is what I did when I tried them while flashing SailfishOS).

I found them necessary, with the additional clarification that this needs to be done from the boot loader. fastboot from recovery doesn't seem to work properly when flashing a nonstandard boot.img.

• Thanks 1

I spent some time today playing with this (with the ultimate goal of getting Sailfish OS running), and for the longest time was unable to get either Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish OS to boot.  Eventually I decided to try out older builds of Ubuntu Touch and discovered that no boot.img newer than the one found in #2807435728 seems to work.  After reverting to the boot.img found in that build, both Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish OS boot fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, ducksoup said:

I spent some time today playing with this (with the ultimate goal of getting Sailfish OS running), and for the longest time was unable to get either Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish OS to boot.  Eventually I decided to try out older builds of Ubuntu Touch and discovered that no boot.img newer than the one found in #2807435728 seems to work.  After reverting to the boot.img found in that build, both Ubuntu Touch and Sailfish OS boot fine.

For what it's worth, we are grabbing files off a developer build server, whose purpose is to compile untested bleeding-edge code so the developers can test on actual hardware. Trying to install and run binaries from it is way out of scope; the intended use is to assist with the process of breaking the build in an orderly fashion.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, esialb said:

For what it's worth, we are grabbing files off a developer build server, whose purpose is to compile untested bleeding-edge code so the developers can test on actual hardware.

Oh of course.  My post was intended to be a "helpful hint", not a "waah this doesn't work".  😆

• Like 2
11 hours ago, mattock said:

Latest try of UBports

So I've followed @esialb instructions and those on the UBports gitlab...

working with

https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs/2807435728 userdata.img & boot.img

which other .img files go to which partitions?

The bottom portion here worked for me:

https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x

I even flashed all the files from the most recent build copy/pasting the codeblocks, though I do have issues with WiFi starting up not mentioned by anyone else.

Edited by kraynyan
Added context
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello community,

I got my Pro1X last Friday and so let's go. 

Used 

https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x

and it's working fine for me too.

What's the best place to speak about UT ?

On Ubports there is no subforum for Pro1X and on XDA don't happen anything. 

I wanna dive into Ubuntu Touch with the Pro1X:-) 

Greetings from Germany

Edited by tschakram
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, tschakram said:

What's the best place to speak about UT ?

I guess it is a matter of what aspects you will discus. If they are general UT questions they will easily be lost in here, only seen by Pro1X/Pro1 users. if they are specific to the Pro1X/Pro1, this could be a fine place.

Here are the notes I saved for myself, in case it helps anyone:

How To Flash Ubuntu Touch OS from windows 10:

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

Download Google USB driver from https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver

Extract driver, edit android_winusb.inf and add the following lines, save, close.
;F(x)tec Pro1

%SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

Enable Windows Test Mode to allow modified driver by running this cmd:
bcdedit /set testsigning on

Reboot windows

Enable Developer mode on phone
Open cmd and change to Android adb platform-tools folder
Plug in phone to pc
Run adb devices to confirm phone is listed & authorized
Run adb reboot bootloader

Open Device Manager in Windows and confirm you see Android Device > Android Bootloader Interface

Download latest ubuntu touch os images from here:
https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs/artifacts/halium-11.0/download?job=devel-flashable

Extract the out folder and place in android platform-tools folder
Run these commands:
fastboot format:ext4 userdata
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash recovery out/recovery.img
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
fastboot flash boot_a out/boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a out/dtbo.img
fastboot reboot

The phone reboots.  Unplug from USB.
Run this command to disable Window Test Mode:
bcdedit /set testsigning of

Initial setup on phone, then ran system settings updates to update to latest version of Ubuntu Touch OS. It failed, decided this was good enough.

Links used:
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3597-pro1-x-with-ubuntu-touch/
https://slions.net/threads/lineage-os-for-f-x-tec-pro1.90/
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3410-fastboot-devices-doesnt-show-my-device/?tab=comments#comment-58694
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb#InstallingDriver
https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs

4ghFRviFmfdtvfwqkYUrikMYm6nPgOQNvVLulCR3Pjje70gVumRPwc4aDLoMa9_ryCRxija9RPctXjSno3ZYFZ_zDcuLodxbakqwSHTcu1763bOHc5GKGb_wuboAIRq44_yC3u3UGcJyTKU8x_P9BtU

Edited by seven
added backup message
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
4 hours ago, seven said:

How To Flash Ubuntu Touch OS from windows 10:

Thanks for the step-by-step guide.

You might want to add the step on saving the "persist" image before flashing, as not doing so should prevent turning back to stock android (and most likely LineageOS also) without lost functionality.

In Windows 11 it has been allowed (again) to install an unsigned driver, without test-mode, some months back. (About a year ago we could not)

• Like 2

Thanks for the guide and links.

First and foremost, backup your "persist" partition. Better safe than sorry. Instructions are in other guides, Please, do not skip that step, there is no other way back to the vanilla persist partition.

I did it this way on Ubuntu:

First Backup

install https://github.com/bkerler/edl

# Ubuntu
sudo apt install adb fastboot python3-dev python3-pip liblzma-dev git
sudo apt purge modemmanager

git clone https://github.com/bkerler/edl.git
cd edl
git submodule update --init --recursive
sudo cp Drivers/51-edl.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
sudo cp Drivers/50-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d
python3 setup.py build
sudo python3 setup.py install

Connect fxtec Pro¹ X
Put Pro¹ X in EDL mode using

adb reboot edl

Check if the usb connected Pro¹ X is in EDL mode:(my display is dark)

lsusb

It should show:

Bus 003 Device 011: ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode)

mkdir backup
cd backup

Edl commands to dump the partitions into image

sudo edl r persist persist_backup.img

sudo edl r modemst2 modemst2_backup.img

sudo edl r modemst1 modemst1_backup.img
sudo edl r fsc fsc_backup.img
sudo edl r fsg fsg_backup.img

ls -l 

insgesamt 39044
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      269 Aug 14 12:00 edl_config.json
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   131072 Aug 14 12:00 fsc_backup.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2097152 Aug 14 12:00 fsg_backup.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2097152 Aug 14 11:59 modemst1_backup.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2097152 Aug 14 11:58 modemst2_backup.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33554432 Aug 14 11:55 persist_backup.img

Works 🙂

Then install Ubuntu Touch:

First Download

https://gitlab.com/ubports/porting/community-ports/android11/fxtec-pro1x/fxtec-pro1x/-/jobs/artifacts/halium-11.0/download?job=devel-flashable

unzip artifacts.zip
cd artifacts

connect device

adb devices
adb reboot bootloader

fastboot format:ext4 userdata
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash recovery out/recovery.img
fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
fastboot flash boot_a out/boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a out/dtbo.img
fastboot reboot

Ubuntu Touch runs 😉

Is there a fix for the GPS ? 

Edited by tschakram
  • Thanks 3

@tschakram thank you, your instructions got me further than any other. I am stuck on:

$ fastboot format:ext4 userdata
Warning: userdata type is f2fs, but ext4 was requested for formatting.
mke2fs 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)

Warning: RAID stripe-width 1 not an even multiple of stride 2.

/tmp/TemporaryFile-sPSRJM: Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
mke2fs failed: 1
error: Cannot generate image for userdata

and 

$ fastboot reboot fastboot
fastboot: usage: unknown reboot target fastboot

then i think the rest of the commands fail because the ones above did not work. 

$ fastboot flash system_a out/system.img
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending sparse 'system_a' 1/3 (784045 KB)...
OKAY [ 30.668s]
writing 'system_a' 1/3...
FAILED (remote: Partition not found)
finished. total time: 30.670s

Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Solved by updating Android cmdline-tools. Thanks for these excellent and succinct instructions

Edited by liquidvx
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

be aware everyone of the following issue:

Yesterday I tried to check the GPS functionality with this:

https://docs.ubports.com/de/latest/userguide/dailyuse/location.html

I turned on WLAN, insert a SIM Card and connect the charging cable.

15 min the device was very hot and shut down. I had recognize it to late because I only looked the display. 

After that I let the device cool down and booted up again. 

Greetings 

• Thanks 3