Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues

1 hour ago, auvo.salmi said:

Yeah, sounds pretty much the same. Except I don't have the ghost inputs atm. But the blind spots issue sounds the same. I should try a drawing app, like netman suggested, to see if the blind spots stay constant.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Make your displays last longer I've recently ordered a bunch of those 'b-ware' displays and out of seven, two were in good condition and one is usable (~20€ each). That's okayish since there are no

@John Veness If you press with force onto the middle of your display, it will bend slightly. That's very noticeable with replacement displays since they have a sticky back and you can hear the glue st

Okay... so I'm on my third screen right now and it's still behaving after a few months. I'm starting to suspect the culprit that damaged the first two screens may have been a phone case I've attached

Posted Images

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes, any good suggestions?

Hmm maybe something like "ghost touches and unresponsive area on lower screen.

Oh and for me touching the display in the upper half seems to help to reduce the ghost touches. But also the unresponsive are remains.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Ghost touches and unresponsive area on lower screen
7 hours ago, mcdinner said:

Exactly the same here.

It happens for me when open or closed so i don't think its the cable.

After lying around the night the problem did not appear yet but the unresponsive 1cm area is still there, so its not completely gone. I think it will come back very soon. 

Yes, here too. Open or closed, same issue. 

Fxtec is going to send me a replacement screen that should hopefully arrive next week. My phone is quite unusable right now.

• Sad 1
On 9/6/2020 at 11:40 AM, EskeRahn said:

Mine reacts poorly to touch when connected to a third party charger (Does not see the pheneomeny when connected to a PC though, and do not use the original charger)

I had this phenomenon with a charger the other day.  Touch screen started acting up a lot I was using it at the time so removed the charger and swapped to another one (nintendo switch). 

I wonder if it might cause long term damage if I hadn't noticed.

• Thanks 1

Ah heck, now it started with my phone too. I've activated the display fingertip option and it shows a touch frenzy in a straight line right on the upper row of the VKB and the 1 2 3 of the SIM unlock screen.

For now I can temporarly fix it by giving the screen a firm massage with my thumbs or by squeezing the spot where the back screw cover is with my thumb and index finger.

It's going to be a hard few weeks until I'm back home and can contact support for a replacement.

• Sad 2
11 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

Ah heck, now it started with my phone too. I've activated the display fingertip option and it shows a touch frenzy in a straight line right on the upper row of the VKB and the 1 2 3 of the SIM unlock screen.

For now I can temporarly fix it by giving the screen a firm massage with my thumbs or by squeezing the spot where the back screw cover is with my thumb and index finger.

It's going to be a hard few weeks until I'm back home and can contact support for a replacement.

Sorry to hear that.  It seems you received your phone in May. So the problem seems to concern not only the screens of devices from December and January.

Are you in the Qwertz batch?

It seems interesting information as FxTec / their manufacturer can crosscheck with the various batches of screens they have received from supplier for production,

3 hours ago, OKSun said:

It seems you received your phone in May. So the problem seems to concern not only the screens of devices from December and January.

Are you in the Qwertz batch?

Yep, mine is from a QWERTZ batch at the start of May.

Edited by Wheeljack
1 hour ago, Wheeljack said:

Yep, mine is from a QWERTZ batch at the start of May.

So am I... No problem yet, but i started using the device only later. So will see.

It could be that we were part of the same batch as the ones of January, December (in terms of screen). Manufacturing had just been stopped due to Chinese New Year and then Corona lock down in China.

Edited by OKSun
  • Like 2
On 7/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, hka said:

Now I have taken time and installed the new screen. It works but I noticed that the digitizer doesn't register edge touches. The outer 5 mm on each side doesn't register presses, but the digitizer works in that area if I start swiping from the middle and go out to the edge.

Wonder if it is changed in some firmware for the digitizer...

Hi @hka, have you found a way to get rid of this? i'm in the same boat actually.

All the curved edge + a few mm don't register touches and like you said, if I slide to the edge it works fine.

It's almost impossible to drop the notification bar in landscape.

it look like a software problem and not a hardware one but I can't get rid of it

Edit: I added a screenshot, the green arrow point the closest place i can start a touch but i can hold it to the last line of the display after it began registering it

it's exactly the same on both side

Screenshot_20200916-144826_Settings.png

Edited by benoitjeffrey
1 hour ago, auvo.salmi said:

I just today morning shot a video for Fxtec support about this issue, and they promised to send me a new display. Quite fast response from their side!

Same here, they will send me a new display when they get new ones.

Also they asked me to send them the old one for investigation. I hope they can get money back from their supplier as this really looks like a production fault.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, mcdinner said:

Same here, they will send me a new display when they get new ones.

Also they asked me to send them the old one for investigation. I hope they can get money back from their supplier as this really looks like a production fault.

I was told by support a new batch of displays would come in tomorrow (Friday 18). So I expect my replacement screen sometime early next week.

Edited by Milly
  • Like 2

Yep, they said they'll ship in 1-2 weeks. If I was pessimistic, I'd expect that the schedule will change... But anyway my device is still fairly usable so even if it takes two months it should be just fine. I just hope they'll get the issue fixed in new production units, so they don't need to replace display from every produced unit.

20 hours ago, benoitjeffrey said:

Hi @hka, have you found a way to get rid of this? i'm in the same boat actually.

All the curved edge + a few mm don't register touches and like you said, if I slide to the edge it works fine.

It's almost impossible to drop the notification bar in landscape.

it look like a software problem and not a hardware one but I can't get rid of it

Edit: I added a screenshot, the green arrow point the closest place i can start a touch but i can hold it to the last line of the display after it began registering it

it's exactly the same on both side

Screenshot_20200916-144826_Settings.png

Yeah, they told me it was a driver issue and said that I could send it to them to get it fixed, or they could send instructions so I could fix it myself (with a warning that it would take about 2 hours to perform the fix).

I asked them to send instructions (which they did) but never got around to following them, and after the latest OTA update the issue magically was gone.

So either write to support, or try to just reflash the stock image I guess.

• Like 2

Finally, I had some time replacing the display in my Pro1 which had ghost touches.

I have decided not to experience with the original display but change it to the display ordered at Aliexpress because I did not want to stress the phone too much - I had to use a heat gun to separate display and its frame and I did not want to do this more than necessary.

Which was strange is that all of the screws were loose (not tightened) and an internal screw near the front camera was almost completely unscrewed (almost felt out of its bolt).
However, tightening the screws did not help (blind area was still there) as expected.

So my new screen works well, except I have a missing display part at the lower-right curve.
I remember somewhere I read about the same issue here maybe in relation with a unit just arrived from repair - however, I currently don't know where I read this.
If somebody knows, please share it with me.

Other than that, also touch panel and also display are working well.

I keep my stock display as spare one but I will buy another display in case I may need it later.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, internationaltraitor said:

@VaZso how is your experience between the two displays, the original and the aliexpress elephone U ? 
i'm not talking about margin errors or ghost touches... but the overall feel, swipeness, color dispaly and all that other jazz.  what else do you notice between the two?

I still did not use the new display too much, but I feel I have a working Pro1 again. 🙂
I mostly notice the working of touch panel is smooth again, so I was not able to enter my unlock pattern while I saw the lines but now it is possible. My touch keyboard often used to be stuttering but now it is fluent as it was before.

The display is shiny. Color temperature was greatly improved also with original display using stock display and latest firmware and I don't have a possibility of a side-by-side comparison but it seems to be relatively good also in lower brightness.

So I don't really able to say if there is a huge difference but I am happy it working well.

Written on my Pro1. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, auvo.salmi said:

Yep, they said they'll ship in 1-2 weeks. If I was pessimistic, I'd expect that the schedule will change... But anyway my device is still fairly usable so even if it takes two months it should be just fine. I just hope they'll get the issue fixed in new production units, so they don't need to replace display from every produced unit.

So, did you get a new screen? I am still waiting for mine, unfortunately. I don't know what happened. I have contacted F(x)tec but they do not respond anymore, even though I have not been flooding them with e-mails; just 1 per week asking for the status. I was told twice it would take 1-2 weeks, but it has been over 5 weeks now....

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Milly said:

I have not been flooding them with e-mails; just 1 per week asking for the status. I was told twice it would take 1-2 weeks, but it has been over 5 weeks now....

We know from elsewhere that contacting again make their mail system put the pending mails from you to the back of the queue. So if their mail back-log is longer than a week, they might not have seen your mails.

(others more knowing in support-queues might better explain why it is set up this way. My guess is that if you found a solution to an issue yourself, and mail to say so, it makes sense to push back the original message so the two mails can be handled as one with less urgency. That is you can move yourself backwards not forwards in the queue)

• Thanks 1
On 10/13/2020 at 11:20 AM, Milly said:

So, did you get a new screen? I am still waiting for mine, unfortunately. I don't know what happened. I have contacted F(x)tec but they do not respond anymore, even though I have not been flooding them with e-mails; just 1 per week asking for the status. I was told twice it would take 1-2 weeks, but it has been over 5 weeks now....

No, I haven't seen mine either. My phone still kinda works so I don't have so urgent need for the screen. But I have to say that I was a bit sceptic about their delivery estimation at the first place. They have promised the same "1-2 weeks" for the phone deliveries several times, and that have never happened. I guess they meant that it might take 1-2 weeks to get new screens on stock again..

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

No, I haven't seen mine either. My phone still kinda works so I don't have so urgent need for the screen. But I have to say that I was a bit sceptic about their delivery estimation at the first place. They have promised the same "1-2 weeks" for the phone deliveries several times, and that have never happened. I guess they meant that it might take 1-2 weeks to get new screens on stock again..

Ok, thanks. Apparently there's a problem in the production or the delivery of the screens. If only F(x)tec support would be a bit more communicative. 

• EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues