Pro1x + LineageOS Readiness

Hi, so after the long wait, I finally have my Pro1X.

When will LineageOS be ready for Pro1X ?  I couldn't find an update on what works needs to be completed and by whom.

I only bought the Pro1X to work with LineageOS and don't want to run Android, I bought the phone to get away from it, like most of us.

• Like 2
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LineageOS is a group project, and support for the Pro1-X wouldn't have been possible without Georg Veichtlbauer and@npjohnson's efforts. And of course we built upon @tdm's work on the Pro1 as well.

There's finally a build of LOS that works and I got myself a test build with it. It's still too early and barely works enough for the hardware but it's a great light at the end of the tunnel for Linea

FYI:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/lineageos-20-for-pro1-x.4543997/  

Posted Images

I've sent an e-mail to f(x)tec about this. Please don't send one too. I'll share the answer with you.

I just had this chat on #lineageos IRC (LiberaChat) and I got this interaction

image.thumb.png.75486a6cfc1d6ea7623b3e547924ce6d.png

Weren't we going to get LineageOS development for the PRO¹? What is going on? The LineageOS management doesn't even know about it. They are claiming it as unsupported!

@Waxberry/@Casey , what's going on? Is there development happening outside the LineageOS team but the results not sent to LineageOS team yet?

Extra:
Doing some research things are not adding up... Can it be I wasn't given correct information by BadDaemon and LuK1337?
Their gerrit only has Pro¹: https://review.lineageos.org/admin/repos/q/filter:fx
Their github, I only see Pro¹ (see links from that gerrit link).

However, @Sean McCreary (ty, @Hook), mentioned:

On 4/30/2022 at 6:52 PM, Sean McCreary said:

What I can say is that we have a skillful and experienced team of developers interested in working on LineageOS for the Pro1-X.

What am I missing here?

Edited by brunoais
Doing some research things are not adding up...
  • Like 2

I backed specifically because of lineage support. So my options are

1. Wait an undetermined time to get los19 on the X

2. Sell my pro1-X and buy a regular pro 1 (prefer the black)

Sad part is I cancelled my pro1 when the X came out. I could have been enjoying the pro1 for two years....

Edited by resister

LineageOS is open-source. If there was any development whatsoever, there would be a branch as well - I couldn't find one. XDA has a device section for the Pro-1X - empty (except for the administrative hello-world postings).

As far as I'm concerned: No one invested a single second on a Pro-1x LineageOS port so far.

(I'm happy to be proven wrong though ;))

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, fxnoma said:

LineageOS is open-source. If there was any development whatsoever, there would be a branch as well

Not necessarily.

Even a developer may work on the code locally then release it at a later point in time.
Also it may happen some developers are using a specific repository while developing which you will not find officially.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Not necessarily.

Even a developer may work on the code locally then release it at a later point in time.
Also it may happen some developers are using a specific repository while developing which you will not find officially.

This is true if there is only ONE developer.

And if there is only ONE developer on this, I am not holding my breath, as I'm not suicidal! 😉

• Confused 1
Just now, fxnoma said:

This is true if there is only ONE developer.

And if there is only ONE developer on this, I am not holding my breath, as I'm not suicidal! 😉

Not ALL on git is public... You could easily have a closed channel for developing something, and later either move it to an open channel or make the channel public

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Not ALL on git is public... You could easily have a closed channel for developing something, and later either move it to an open channel or make the channel public

...and not necessarily hosted at GitHub or GitLab...

6 minutes ago, fxnoma said:

yeah, because this is how open-source development usually runs - hidden on non-public channels - before you get too many contributors or peer reviews.. 'cause that's always annoying! 😉

Sometimes it is better to filter unnecessary "noises" around a project till a point it needs more testing and it may have more contributors after a specific point of development...

• Like 3

Not to break sweet dreams, but remind me - when was the official release of the Pro-1X initially planned? If we agree, that Lineage adoption would have started 6 months before scheduled release, how long would development be ongoing by now?

It's now almost end of 2022 - after all that time, it's still "better kept private", because (who?) knows better to continue with this, than the general public does? - And who is this "who"?

Naa - no such development happend, I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Sometimes it is better to filter unnecessary "noises" around a project till a point it needs more testing and it may have more contributors after a specific point of development...

If I recall right @tdm and a few other did the LineageOS 16 for the Pro1 before going public, though they at some point showed some test-versions, see this

• Like 3

so the pro1 was supposed to finally ship in 12/2020 (I remember cancelling 07/21), and we saw the first test builds in 11/2019. This means we should have seen the first test builds for the Pro1x around 12/2021 - at the very latest.

I mean - we all remember the 11/2021 update: "Whilst finalising the development of the Pro1-X, we have managed to confirm a final date for mass manufacturing with the factory. " Right? Kinda there. Done. Finished. Slight adjustments left - ready to mass produce, right?, k?, not?, sure? 😄

Edited by fxnoma
20 minutes ago, fxnoma said:

so the pro1 was supposed to finally ship in 12/2020 (I remember cancelling 07/21), and we saw the first test builds in 11/2019. This means we should have seen the first test builds for the Pro1x around 12/2021 - at the very latest.

I mean - we all remember the 11/2021 update: "Whilst finalising the development of the Pro1-X, we have managed to confirm a final date for mass manufacturing with the factory. " Right? Kinda there. Done. Finished. Slight adjustments left - ready to mass produce, right?, k?, not?, sure? 😄

Nope. There were early unit as early as spring 2019. So some half year after that for the first test build an another half year for release bulid of 16 AND that was for a chipset where there were other devices...

I do not know how early they have had test units for developers on the Pro1X. At the earliest this spring would be my guess.
Does anyone know if there are any 662 powered phones with LineageOS currently

• Like 1

Ok, but as "everything was finished" in 11/2021 - that should include LineageOS and Sailfish as well - as those were - next to ubuntu touch - the systems promised to run from the get-go. And if there are hardware quirks to fix, how does this occupy the software guys? It just does not make any sense.

I mean, let's face it. The 662-nerf was ouch, but not the end. Computational performance on cellphones hit "decent enough" in 2015. Since then it's "oh look - we have 23 lenses!!" and more power "just because". My most graphic-intense app is Google Earth - I guess the 662 is fine for 99% - except if you would game on your phone (but then again: why would you do this to yourself - there are 32" monitors, VR headsets,.. why go 5"? Glutton for punishment?).

The thing that pisses me off is Fxtec's way of lying (and yes - it was outright intentional false information in their updates) to their most core fanbase - their backers and early supporters!

Had they said "well, shit hit the fan, need another year, here's why..." most would be like "damn, but..". Still today, they could be like "ok, we messed up - we are waaay behind with the ports - here is the driver source to all we needed to pull of the AOSP-ROM we shipped:..." most (myself included) would probably be very understanding and I think we would see the first Lineage port within two weeks. Yet, it seems they still hope to pull something off behind closed doors - IMHO just a severe case of not-invented-here-syndrome. Not helping, just adding more delays, doing like they've always done: sweeping / or better cringe-worthily trying to sweep everything under the rug, therefore adding further delays and totally killing all remaining rep they have with their initial fanbase.

And THOSE are the people who would have "spread the word" of a nice niche product. But those are NOW the people where you can read posts from all over the internet in the vein of "I will do anything to prevent another fxtec sale!!". This forum is full, indiegogo comments section is full, XDA forum is full,...

There was literally no way they could have done worse in terms of customer communication - especially given the geeky nature all those early supporters are probably of.

• Thanks 1

This is a sad topic to read.  I fell in love with LinageOS 18.x on my Pixel 2 XL and if I wanted I could flash to 19.x even and get Android 12 based on that old phone.  I do hope we eventually get support for LinageOS 19.x on the Pro1-X

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Logan said:

This is a sad topic to read.  I fell in love with LinageOS 18.x on my Pixel 2 XL and if I wanted I could flash to 19.x even and get Android 12 based on that old phone.  I do hope we eventually get support for LinageOS 19.x on the Pro1-X

I personally believe that we will.  This is mostly hope, not evidence based, but in my experience, while they may take time, FxTec always delivers. But I'm sure I have a reputation for being overly optimistic.  😉

• Like 4

Maybe some clarification on the whole supported/unsupported part in the LAOS channel: "Supported" means that a phone is officially released by the LAOS project and deemed fully working. Since this is obviously not the case yet, the pro1x is still "unsupported".

Doesn't mean no one is working on it. I have no idea *if* someone is working on it, but that message is not prove that no one is working on it.

Just wanted to clarify this, based on observations on how lineageos works/communicates (and cyanogenmod before them)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Hook locked this topic