DIY battery replacement options?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drum roll, please.....🥁 Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him). Last photo is my original Pro1 next to the stack of new batteries.  Looks like a match.🔋

@MonCon, Peaseley thanks you for your well wishes.  Considering all he's been through, I think he is doing quite well.  Here he is post sew-up. As you can see, he has managed to ke

For my po1x I got this 2250mah twix deal https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005043077240.html?sku_id=12000031429438778 short circuited it a few too many times while removing and attaching the boards, an

Posted Images

On 6/8/2023 at 11:00 AM, raymo said:

@SchattengestaIt Also if you need some measurement or test on it let me know, I doubt I can dig in internal regulation without break it, but it could be (carefully) doable with the old battery as far as I've replaced it.
I guess the regulation circuit is (relative) standard, and will be fun digging into small chipset and searching for datasheet.

More measurements are always great.

You could check what the pins do. The width would also be interesting if you can take it exactly.
Let us know if you find something new. 🙂

On 6/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, VaZso said:

How (where) is it possible to order it and what is its price?

Send an email to [email protected] and include your shipping address, we'll issue you an invoice and will ship out the product within the week.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:19 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

Are they still 100€ + shipping?

It's £99 + shipping

• Thanks 3

Hiya folks

I recently changed the battery in my Pro1 but noticed no improvement upon charge capacity, (I didn't know you can check the battery health).

I therefore believe my old battery to be ok health-wise, only one problem... Likle a clumsy lump I accidentally ripped the connector from the end of the ribbon cable.

Anyone want the battery for the price of postage?

**Edit**

Battery has now been claimed and is no longer available.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by AndytheNoob
  • 4 weeks later...

I read through the whole thread and so far the summary is: We have no clue which battery could fit, due to differences in size, voltage and connector?

It's unfortunate that Fxtec didn't use a battery from a common phone. I guess then I'll get the 99+shipping replacement directly from them.

34 minutes ago, dreamflasher said:

I read through the whole thread and so far the summary is: We have no clue which battery could fit, due to differences in size, voltage and connector?

It's unfortunate that Fxtec didn't use a battery from a common phone. I guess then I'll get the 99+shipping replacement directly from them.

We currently haven't found any battery that fits perfectly by dimensions and most certainly you'd need to switch the circuit board (BMS, temperature sensor, etc.) from your FxTec to your old battery.

So yes, the best option currently is to buy a new one from FxTec...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Tomatoman29 said:

https://i-item.jd.com/10091945261600.html

Also widely available as a battery for RK61 wireless keyboard.

This would certainly be a good fit (it's sold out though) if the measurements are accurate.
Sadly, the keyboad is rated for 1400mAh so other batteries may be smaller than this offer.

Still, this is closer to our destination than we ever were before.

You've most likely look for a wrong battery. 

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005001292577513.html

Original battery for RK61 is 2800mAh. 
There is also one very interesting:

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005004040284157.html

That one is 2mm wider and 15mm longer but its a real 3800mAh battery. If someone is brave enough to try, let me know. 

Edited by Tomatoman29

No, the original battery seems to be very small but you have space for a larger one. That's why bigger batteries are sold (given the numbers from those chinese sites are real).
https://de.ifixit.com/Anleitung/RK61+Battery+Replacement/142864

However, since all the batteries have different capacity labels, they might as well have different dimensions, too. You can probably stuff a lot of battery into a keyboard.

About the second battery:
There's no place for 15mm more length if you want wifi, a microphone and the main charging port. 2mm more width would mean that you had to remove the aluminium brackets that hold the battery in place.
Could work, but the amount of work isn't worth it in my opinion.

7 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

No, the original battery seems to be very small but you have space for a larger one. That's why bigger batteries are sold (given the numbers from those chinese sites are real).
https://de.ifixit.com/Anleitung/RK61+Battery+Replacement/142864

However, since all the batteries have different capacity labels, they might as well have different dimensions, too. You can probably stuff a lot of battery into a keyboard.

About the second battery:
There's no place for 15mm more length if you want wifi, a microphone and the main charging port. 2mm more width would mean that you had to remove the aluminium brackets that hold the battery in place.
Could work, but the amount of work isn't worth it in my opinion.

I see, you don't understand how those batteries are labeled. 
5036108, model taken out of the fxtec battery is in reality size of that battery. 

50 means it's 5.0 mm thick.

36 means 36 mm width

108 means 108 mm length

That's why I found this battery, it meets all the size criteria and that's why it has very similar but not the same capacity. Those keyboards has 1450-1450 mAh batteries because they are twice as thin than the fxtec battery. And that's why you are wrong, sorry. 

Why there is no 3200-3150 mAh batteries in this size on the market? Because batteries with that larger capacity are made in slightly different manufacturing process and they are available only directly by manufacturer, which btw I found. 

https://www.lipolbattery.com/LiPo-Battery-2023.html

Just search on that website for the size of the battery. 

Edited by Tomatoman29
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You found a battery that has the same dimensions as needed for the FxTec. That's great, sadly it's sold out. 
Now, there are more batteries around but they have different capacities (and therefore dimensions).

There's two options now:
- One seller claims the wrong capacity (they lie about the batteries all the time) and the Alibaba version actually has the same dimensions and capacity.
- Both batteries and all the others have different dimensions and it's a lottery to buy one of them.

About the labels... it's great that you found out that some manufacturers label their batteries like that. I wish all manufacturers would do that. Sadly, if you search for the number 5036108, you still don't seem to find anything useful. We need a battery that is for sale, not those which are out of stock.

How does all of this, including this discussion, help us find a fitting battery? You did a great job reverse searching for who produced it but sadly these manufacturers don't produce for private people and those who don't have rights for production. Also, you'd have to take a bigger amount (5.000+) and there isn't demand for it.
I tried getting my hand on the Elephone displays and had long conversations with the manufacturer. I didn't even get an offer.

1 hour ago, SchattengestaIt said:

About the labels... it's great that you found out that some manufacturers label their batteries like that. I wish all manufacturers would do that. Sadly, if you search for the number 5036108, you still don't seem to find anything useful. We need a battery that is for sale, not those which are out of stock.

Of course we need one for sale, but the first step is to know what we are looking for.... And here  @Tomatoman29's finding is interesting, as it could have lead to another device using the same battery. I mean it is a bit unlikely that this model is produced exclusively for FxTec. It could be that the plug-cable on this battery is FxTec only though.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It could be that the plug-cable on this battery is FxTec only though.

That's the point. There is no chance to find a ready plug-and-play battery outside of fxtec. We can only find a close enough size and transfer the BMS with cable to another cell. 

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005002957619888.html 

2000mAh battery which will be 100% fitting into the Pro1. Always something...

Edited by Tomatoman29
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Tomatoman29 said:

5036108, model taken out of the fxtec battery is in reality size of that battery. 

50 means it's 5.0 mm thick.

What you write sounds great, but are you sure that's what it's supposed to mean? I don't really think the battery is that thick?

22 hours ago, CornholioGSM said:

Correct battery (without electronic) can be purchased on taobao....but is not simple to order it.

https://parcelup.com/shop/item.php?id=664752226102

Yeah a bit odd, just took the chance and ordered 5 for $22 EXCL shipping, and quite uncertain what the shipping fee will be requested later - if too exorbitant I will just consider the $22 lost...

• Like 1

You'll have to solder the old circuit to the new battery. Shouldn't be too hard to do, just make sure to be quick so you don't overheat the battery. Active cooling is an option if you are worrying.

There are some laptop batteries that break once their circuits are disconnected from the battery cells so you have to simulate the voltage while soldering. But I would be very surprised if that'd be the case here as well.
I've ordered a few units as well and as I have a broken battery here, I'll be happy to try the first time.

Also, kudos to @Tomatoman29 and @CornholioGSM who brought us that far. I was very pessimistic that we'll find an actual battery ready to order, even if we have to change the circuitry. But you guys did great.

• Thanks 4
On 11/26/2023 at 11:15 PM, EskeRahn said:

Yeah a bit odd, just took the chance and ordered 5 for $22 EXCL shipping, and quite uncertain what the shipping fee will be requested later - if too exorbitant I will just consider the $22 lost...

Just got a quote for $35½ in shipping, so that at the least is quite close to exorbitant.... So will consider it is worth it, as it does not mention tax, so most likely I will be charged 25% import tax on top, and a $30 handling fee for non declared tax... so likely to and at $100...

ParcelUp_5bat.png