Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If you do, then please post a link. Would have preferred black too.

Could not find a black one for the P20 Pro model, but did find one for the P30 Pro model.

https://www.amazon.com/Newseego-Compatible-Leather-Detachable-Premium/dp/B07RKTFX5X?th=1&psc=1

Also, how do you go about removing the built-in cardholders?

Edited by Tim
24 minutes ago, Tim said:

Also, how do you go about removing the built-in cardholders?

I have used a sharp knife and/or a pair of scissors on the others. Luckily they look nice beneath it, but we can't tell before we know the case off course.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Slion said:

The P30 Pro version of the following one, pictured above, fits nicely as far as sickness goes but it does not stay magnetically shut as it should.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07DFNXFGV

Hmm the P30 Pro is slightly thicker, so expect the P20 Pro case to be a bit WORSE in this aspect. Did you cut out the creditcard holder?

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Did you cut out the creditcard holder?

Nope, I did not mod it at all. It's a really thick and heavy case to start with. I have a thinner one from WIIUKA and that one just does not work.

Edited by Slion
Just now, Tim said:

So many choices! Now I am torn between which one to go for!

That is why i bought a stack of different cheap plastic ones first, to narrow it down.
None of them are likely to be perfect, so I'm not going to buy a £50+ case, unless we have one with a perfect fit. So see all these as experiments, that are not likely to live long....

23 minutes ago, Slion said:

The P30 Pro version of the following one, pictured above, fits nicely as far as sickness goes but it does not stay magnetically shut as it should:

Ah That model relies on there being some iron in the phone matching magnets in the lid. Well no luck there. I think the Pro1 is some Magnesium or Titanium oxide not iron.

BTW I squeezed the edges of the 'back' of the 'book' to get a little extra, Here exaggerated sketch:

Squeeze.png

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

That is why i bought a stack of different cheap plastic ones first, to narrow it down.
None of them are likely to be perfect, so I'm not going to buy a £50+ case, unless we have one with a perfect fit. So see all these as experiments, that are not likely to live long....

Now I am debating whether I should just stick to the pouch until an actual case is made. Any word on how the pouch coming with the phone is?

5 minutes ago, Tim said:

Now I am debating whether I should just stick to the pouch until an actual case is made. Any word on how the pouch coming with the phone is?

As far as my experience the pouch is very well protecting the phone, but sortof tight and fiddly. Now I use one of these instead which is quite a bit easier to insert/remove the phone to and from [WARNING I had the wrong link here first, it is updated now] https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XJ76Q28/

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, netman said:

As far as my experience the pouch is very well protecting the phone, but sortof tight and fiddly. Now I use one of these instead which is quite a bit easier to insert/remove the phone to and from https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XQC28X3/

This is the only other pouch I have come across, too. I was hoping for a leather one with a magnetic strap.

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

That model relies on there being some iron in the phone matching magnets in the lid

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The matching magnet is in the case's back cover and I guess it relies on the phone itself not being too thick. Pro1 is just too thick for that design apparently.

44 minutes ago, Slion said:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The matching magnet is in the case's back cover and I guess it relies on the phone itself not being too thick. Pro1 is just too thick for that design apparently.

I reckon if you tape a magnet to the back of the Pro1 screen you could get such case to close properly.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Slion said:

I reckon if you tape a magnet to the back of the Pro1 screen you could get such case to close properly.

I am trying to see if I can find a more generic one, without having to do any modifications. I came across one which is something along the lines of what I was thinking, but not sure if the Pro1 would fit because of the extra thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/Hengwin-Premium-Horizontal-Carrying-G4-Black/dp/B07ZHW4TQD/ref=sr_1_41?keywords=leather%2Bphone%2Bcase&qid=1579967106&sr=8-41&th=1

• Like 1
On 1/25/2020 at 12:08 AM, netman said:

As far as my experience the pouch is very well protecting the phone, but sortof tight and fiddly. Now I use one of these instead which is quite a bit easier to insert/remove the phone to and from [WARNING I had the wrong link here first, it is updated now] https://www.amazon.com/fitBAG-Tailored-Germany-Microfibre-Cleaning/dp/B07XJ76Q28/

I had fitbag.de make me a leather pouch back in September when we all thought the Pro1 would arrive soon(tm). So it's been sat in a drawer until last week, but it's nicely made, a good fit for the device, and the microfibre keeps the screen cleaned. As I've used then before for my JollaC, I know it will only get better with time.

Sorry for the poor photo quality, and yes, I did ask to have it made with each side a different colour :classic_biggrin:

20200127_120652.thumb.jpg.d9bdcf90cf35d221ecd66df552745473.jpg

20200127_120709.thumb.jpg.d3b9f7147a3f59d8bfe766f8af690268.jpg

(Before anyone asks - the Pro1 is only sticking out of the pouch so you can see whats in it! When fully in place it is about 5mm inside the top of the pouch)

Edited by epninety
add info
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

That *is* an issue. The Pro1 seems to need only a very light pressure on the power button. I didn't have the problem with the JollaC, or Xperia.

It doesn't cause much of a problem in SFOS, as after pressing the power button, if you don't swipe the screen it turns off again in a few seconds. So it's only an annoyance.

As for Android - don't know, don't much care :classic_tongue:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, YelloDumpling said:

Anyone know where I can get a replacement screen protector?    The bundled POS one wouldn't tear off of the plastic;  Ripped in half when removing it, ffs.

Look for the ones for Elephone U. It's the same display panel.

• Thanks 3
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?