Jump to content
gg2112

F(x)tec on Verizon?

Recommended Posts

This morning my phone signal went dead.  I went to the phone menu (*#*#4636#*#*) and all the Volte and Voice over Wifi switches were turned off.  This is the second time this has happened to me since December, so the good news is it doesn't happen often.  Thankfully, because I have no clue as to why.  But I just wanted to make folks aware this is a possibility.  If you suddenly lose signal on Verizon, check the phone menu.

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 9:20 AM, Hook said:

This morning my phone signal went dead.  I went to the phone menu (*#*#4636#*#*) and all the Volte and Voice over Wifi switches were turned off.  This is the second time this has happened to me since December, so the good news is it doesn't happen often.  Thankfully, because I have no clue as to why.  But I just wanted to make folks aware this is a possibility.  If you suddenly lose signal on Verizon, check the phone menu.

And now I have the mysterious problem that a few others have hit with Verizon where being able to send sms stops working.   I can send mms, and I can receieve sms and mms, but I cannot send sms.  I think I am about to give up on Verizon.  I have an AT&T sim on the way.  When it gets here I'll put the Verizon sim in my old phone just to make sure Verizon isn't just messing up in general (I seriously doubt it) and I will make sure that AT&T still works properly. I will probably then try LOS again and if it works with AT&T, I'm afraid that will be it for Verizon. 

I was actually hit with this Verizon SMS thing once before.  It did go away when I did a complete reflash of my phone, though I am hesitant to attach causality to that sequence. 😉 But I'm getting tired of all this dancing around with Verizon, ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hook said:

And now I have the mysterious problem that a few others have hit with Verizon where being able to send sms stops working.   I can send mms, and I can receieve sms and mms, but I cannot send sms.  I think I am about to give up on Verizon.  I have an AT&T sim on the way.  When it gets here I'll put the Verizon sim in my old phone just to make sure Verizon isn't just messing up in general (I seriously doubt it) and I will make sure that AT&T still works properly. I will probably then try LOS again and if it works with AT&T, I'm afraid that will be it for Verizon. 

I was actually hit with this Verizon SMS thing once before.  It did go away when I did a complete reflash of my phone, though I am hesitant to attach causality to that sequence. 😉 But I'm getting tired of all this dancing around with Verizon, ffs.

i never fixed my sms issues. adb wasnt hooking properly with my device when connected over usb3 (probably need to use usb2?). ive had to use adb before on my old droid 4 but that was on an old machine.

since i dont do this often enough i dont remember how to set it up and i dont have as much time as i did back then so im just patiently waiting for magical software updates from tdm (lineageOS) or fxtech.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sadly, I have given up. I ordered an AT&T SIM on-line, put it in the phone (Lol, I hate dealing with that SIM tray) and everything just works.  No need to fiddle with preferred networks or find the right APN.  All the switches already flipped on in the phone menu.  Good 4G with calls and texts all working and good data speeds and signal around town and at home.  Painless.  The funny thing is I used AT&T for years and love their prepay because in 2009 they were the only US prepay that let you have data (A Nokia 5800 was my first smartphone)-- I've never done contracts and never will. I only moved to Verizon prepay (which they greatly improved-- used to be terrible) when my wife was traveling to rural Arizona which only had a Verizon tower.

I hate to give up a fight but Verizon on the Pro1 is just too much work.  When it works (and truthfully, it did most of the time) it is great... until it suddenly doesn't work, for no apparent reason.  Which is just too frustrating.  I'm done.

My wife will keep Verizon on her Pixel 2XL.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 7:15 AM, Hook said:

Sadly, I have given up. I ordered an AT&T SIM on-line, put it in the phone (Lol, I hate dealing with that SIM tray) and everything just works.  No need to fiddle with preferred networks or find the right APN.  All the switches already flipped on in the phone menu.  Good 4G with calls and texts all working and good data speeds and signal around town and at home.  Painless.  The funny thing is I used AT&T for years and love their prepay because in 2009 they were the only US prepay that let you have data (A Nokia 5800 was my first smartphone)-- I've never done contracts and never will. I only moved to Verizon prepay (which they greatly improved-- used to be terrible) when my wife was traveling to rural Arizona which only had a Verizon tower.

I hate to give up a fight but Verizon on the Pro1 is just too much work.  When it works (and truthfully, it did most of the time) it is great... until it suddenly doesn't work, for no apparent reason.  Which is just too frustrating.  I'm done.

My wife will keep Verizon on her Pixel 2XL.

For the record, I'm still unable to send SMS, and don't want to deal with reflashing my phone. As such I'm currently looking into AT&T unless something magically happens before then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 10:45 PM, windraver said:

Just got the Pro1 today and somehow got it working on Verizon based on the instructions here.

Context: I have an existing account with Verizon. I've been swapping my sim to new devices for years. I've been carrying my sim from Droid Turbo, Turbo 2, Moto Z force, Moto Z2 force, Pixel 3 and now to the FXtec Pro1.

Steps I took:

  1. Insert existing active sim from Pixel 3.
  2. Skip initial setup step to setup network
  3. Connect to wifi
  4. Update to latest update
  5. go to dialer
  6. enter *#*#4636#*#*
  7. Enable all toggles under phone 1
  8. Set network to LTE only
  9. Restart

It now shows it is connect to 4G.

  • Data confirmed working. Web browsing, connected to Google account, downloaded apps.
  • SMS sent and received
  • MMS sent and received
  • Call made and received 

Anything else I should be testing?

  • update 1: Added clarifying information
  • update 2: tested and confirmed call and SMS both ways
  • update 3: test and confirmed MMS both ways.
  • update 4: cleanup

Featuring this post, thank you for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Erik said:

Featuring this post, thank you for sharing.

@Erik Yes, that works and it is a very nice summary of the instructions that those of us on (or who were on 😉 ) Verizon have used (I found Global worked nicely as network setting).  The only caveat is that, for some of us, it doesn't keep working, the most common failure seeming to be that you can receive but not send SMS.  Why?  I don't know, I certainly don't think it's the phone.  I'd love to find an explanation. It happened to me twice.  On the other hand, the phone worked wonderfully on Verizon for the better part of 3 months. However, especially in these times, I didn't feel I could tolerate undependable communication.  Since I had a choice, I went to AT&T which works flawlessly without any jury rigging.

My recommendation is that if you already have Verizon, it's worth a shot.  But I would not pick Verizon as a new service for the Pro 1 unless you have no choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms