After the Game Gripper (

) got mentioned on our discord chat, a few others and me contacted the people behind it, and this is the reply we got:

Thanks for the tip. Yes I’ll reach out to them. I still have all the equipment to make game grippers in my garage ?.

The biggest problem I had with game gripper was that by the time I got them ready to sell, the phones were old news. If the phone makers would just share some basic information with me about the dimensions I could be ready when they launch the phone.

-Hyrum

If this comes to be a reality i'm certainly getting one, let us hope :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had so much fun making game grippers ~10years ago. I'd be open to making some for the pro1. One problem is I live in the USA and this seems to be primarily an EU phone. I'd probably need to track do

I think they are very very busy getting things out these day, so might be slow in replying. If there are any specific measurements or photos you want me to take, I could try on the "Final Sample"

So now key-chording/rollover works in Sailfish, Lineage, and finally stock with yesterdays OTA!   I want my game gripper 😉

Posted Images

i know this for droid1/milestone....and something similar was for droid3. This will be cool for playing gta san andreas etc :)

I have another idea...small attachable usbc touchpad for using phone on desk without touch on display :) I mean that 4x4cm area with two buttons will be enough :)

• Like 1

I can think of a couple reasons.  The game gripper is cheap and rugged, don't have to be careful with it in your backpack or jacket pocket, it doesn't need batteries or charging, etc.  Also, when you're playing in mobile environment, you can still hold onto your phone, dont have to find somewhere to put it so you can hold a bluetooth controller.

• Like 5

I had so much fun making game grippers ~10years ago. I'd be open to making some for the pro1. One problem is I live in the USA and this seems to be primarily an EU phone. I'd probably need to track down my old EU partner or even better if fxtec would distribute them.

I tried connecting with those guys on LinkedIn about the pro1 but no reply. 

For a little history, the game gripper came before we had decent Bluetooth game pads. Once they stopped making high end phones with slide out keyboards the game gripper stopped selling and I went back to work.

-Hyrum

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
26 minutes ago, Hyrum said:

I had so much fun making game grippers ~10years ago. I'd be open to making some for the pro1. One problem is I live in the USA and this seems to be primarily an EU phone. I'd probably need to track down my old EU partner or even better if fxtec would distribute them.

For a little history, the game gripper came before we had decent Bluetooth game pads. Once they stopped making high end phones with slide out keyboards the game gripper stopped selling and I went back to work.

-Hyrum

I really wish you the best in getting these sold, as it would make emulators on staggered keys amazing IMO.

It might be worth sending a direct message to either Erik or Waxberry here on the forums to see if you can get a more direct line to Fxtec. The messaging feature is new, so you probably won't get too lost in a sea of messages.

1 hour ago, Hyrum said:

For a little history, the game gripper came before we had decent Bluetooth game pads.

Even with BlueTooth gamepads existing I can see a lot of merit in having a passive purely mechanical solution, since it needs no batteries and attaches very nicely to the phone. Also it looks pretty sturdy compared to rigid electronical controllers, like you could toss it in a bag without worrying about it 🙂.

• Like 1

I too would be interested in such a Game Gripper if it comes to existence for the Pro1. Bluetooth gamepads are fine and all that, but a non-clunky way to hold the phone and the controls is appreciated. I like the concept of this and how you don't need to be super careful carrying it around either.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, Hyrum said:

-Hyrum

Awesome. The concept behind the game gripper is so fantastically simple yet efficient. No batteries, no bluetooth connections, no bt-originated phone battery waste.

You can put me up as part of the group of people interested in buying a Pro1 version of the game gripper.

I hope interest is enough that you find in yourself the motivation to make the Pro1 version.

Cheers

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, agent008 said:

Awesome. The concept behind the game gripper is so fantastically simple yet efficient. No batteries, no bluetooth connections, no bt-originated phone battery waste.

You can put me up as part of the group of people interested in buying a Pro1 version of the game gripper.

I hope interest is enough that you find in yourself the motivation to make the Pro1 version.

Cheers

Another very simple interface is used by Samsung on their click on Keyboards, see e.g. this

4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Another very simple interface is used by Samsung on their click on Keyboards, see e.g. this

I remember reading this in your website, there is some other topic lying around here where you mention it. Quite an ingenious piece of hardware too.

It's difficult for me to commend Samsung for something but this keyboard is one of the exceptions. I have a personal peeve with Samsung which, frankly, I can't even explain. It's some unconscious, irrational thing. But then I am only just human....

• Like 3
13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Those don't work very well for typing because not all clicks register. Forget about gaming where you need to have multiple simultaneous button presses.  

The game gripper worked pretty good but some phones only supported 3 simultaneous button presses which slowed things down. The better phones didn't seem to have an issue.

FYI still no word back from the ppl I reached out to. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Hyrum said:

Those don't work very well for typing because not all clicks register.

In my experience that goes for phones with thick screen protectors only. Clean or with a thin film it works fine, but it could have issues with a tempered glass protector.

The button that have issues are those close to the edge, that is the soft keys. A gaming thing would do wise in not placing the keys this close to the edges.

But sure it is not an ideal solution. But it is a technically elegant workaround - though it looks like sh....

5 hours ago, Hyrum said:

FYI still no word back from the ppl I reached out to. 

I think they are very very busy getting things out these day, so might be slow in replying.

If there are any specific measurements or photos you want me to take, I could try on the "Final Sample" .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hyrum, where in usa do you live?  If, for example, you happen to live in SF Bay Area, I could let you examine mine if it would help, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone in another area that would do the same...   There may be more people buying these in Europe than America, but doesn't mean there's none!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2