Jump to content
Waxberry

Pro1 Known Bugs [Updated 19 Nov 2019]

Recommended Posts

I agree that number 2 (as it pertains to that particular pull down shown in the video) looks like a bug, because it doesn't look like there is a way to scroll to get to the settings icon.  Either the bottom of that menu should always be visible and the content of the pull down should scroll, or the whole thing should scroll so you can get to the bottom of the menu.  I'll have to try that on a pixel in landscape and see how it behaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, david said:

I agree that number 2 (as it pertains to that particular pull down shown in the video) looks like a bug, because it doesn't look like there is a way to scroll to get to the settings icon.  Either the bottom of that menu should always be visible and the content of the pull down should scroll, or the whole thing should scroll so you can get to the bottom of the menu.  I'll have to try that on a pixel in landscape and see how it behaves.

Oddly, on mine, the gear for settings is at the bottom of my screen and easily tapped.  So whether this is a bug or not, it depends on what resolution you have your screen set at.  I always set my display size in settings to small and pick an even higher resolution (small = high dpi, I believe) if it was offered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gon009 said:

Anyway, here's a video showing the first bug with autorotate on keyboard not working at all, it's firefox and it should return to portrait after closing the keyboard but it's not: https://youtu.be/KuoZbO7JkaM

Did you try turning the phone so that the bottom (when vertical) is lower than the top?  That is how it works when I have auto rotate on in the phones I've uses.  It actually seems odd to me that the launcher is showing up in portrait mode when you close firefox.

Although, if the phone is lying flat, then maybe the accelerometer has to guess.  Or an app/system might remeber the last orientation, since the accelerometer isn't sensing a change.  If you close the keyboard, with firefox open, and change the orientation to portrait (not lying flat on the table), does it rotate?  If not, just as a wild thing to try, launch the app with the icon rather than the keyboard shortcut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hook said:

I always set my display size in settings to small

@Gon009 This.  If you set your display size and text size small, you'll at least get more than what you see now.   You can also go a step farther in developer settings and play with dpi, but doesn't work well with stock launcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gon009 said:

here's a video showing the first bug with autorotate on keyboard not working at all, it's firefox and it should return to portrait after closing the keyboard but it's not: https://youtu.be/KuoZbO7JkaM

Did you have auto-rotate turned on during that video?  If yes, that could explain this.  (I'm not referring to the slider setting to lock landscape, I'm talking about the regular auto-rotate in quick settings.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Oddly, on mine, the gear for settings is at the bottom of my screen and easily tapped.  So whether this is a bug or not, it depends on what resolution you have your screen set at.  I always set my display size in settings to small and pick an even higher resolution (small = high dpi, I believe) if it was offered. 

If the default resolution doesn't show it, I would say it is a bug.  If it is a built in android setting to change the resolution (and not a 3rd party rooted hack), I would like to say apps and system UI should adjust appropriately to be usable.  I guess there could be extreme values that might be hard for some apps/uis to adjust to.  But if google wants to provide a way to adjust resolution, maybe they should redesign that particular pulldown to allow scrolling the whole thing or always showing the bottom of the menu and scrolling the menu contents.  I don't know if fxtec has any control over that behavior or if it is up to google.

@Gon009, are you at the default resolution and text sizes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Craig said:

@Gon009 This.  If you set your display size and text size small, you'll at least get more than what you see now.   You can also go a step farther in developer settings and play with dpi, but doesn't work well with stock launcher.

I would classify that as a work-around to a bug though, not the expected behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is expected tho.  Pull down notifications in any other landscape device with similar screen, it's the same problem.

 

Ideally we should be able to turn off quick launch icons completely when you pull down notifications in landscape.  (You can already open quick launch w/o notifications by using two fingers to slide).    But that's a change/feature request....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, david said:

If the default resolution doesn't show it, I would say it is a bug.  If it is a built in android setting to change the resolution (and not a 3rd party rooted hack), I would like to say apps and system UI should adjust appropriately to be usable.  I guess there could be extreme values that might be hard for some apps/uis to adjust to.  But if google wants to provide a way to adjust resolution, maybe they should redesign that particular pulldown to allow scrolling the whole thing or always showing the bottom of the menu and scrolling the menu contents.  I don't know if fxtec has any control over that behavior or if it is up to google.

@Gon009, are you at the default resolution and text sizes?

I agree.  The problem is it's hard to always sort out this question of Google bug vs F(x) Tec bug, but in this case I suspect it is a Google bug.  I think the problem is a lot of Devs out there aren't giving a lot of attention to Landscape orientation because it is so unusable on a slab except for pictures and video.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Did you have auto-rotate turned on during that video?  If yes, that could explain this.  (I'm not referring to the slider setting to lock landscape, I'm talking about the regular auto-rotate in quick settings.)

Do you mean did he have auto-rotate "off"?  If not, why would auto-rotate on not cause the phone to auto-rotate based on orientation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think it is expected tho.  Pull down notifications in any other landscape device with similar screen, it's the same problem.

 

Ideally we should be able to turn off quick launch icons completely when you pull down notifications in landscape.  (You can already open quick launch w/o notifications by using two fingers to slide).    But that's a change/feature request....

I didn't see him pulling down notifications, but maybe I misunderstood which menu he was pulling down in the video.  It looked like the menu you pull down to get easy access to some settings icons and then get to all settings by picking a gear icon at the bottom of the menu, outside the box that contains the easy access icons.

Or are notifications and that menu the same in modern androids?

I will try on a pixel with a modern version of android to see what it does.  My relay 4G on Cyanogenmod 11 (kitcat) isn't exactly the same for some reason. 😉  On this phone, the notifications come when you pull down on the left side of the top of the screen and that system menu when you do it from the right side of the top of the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, david said:

Do you mean did he have auto-rotate "off"?  If not, why would auto-rotate on not cause the phone to auto-rotate based on orientation?

If you have landscape lock and auto-rotation on, it's not supposed to rotate with keyboard open (although some apps ignore this).   And I only saw it rotate with keyboard closed, and he wasn't moving it around much to verify if auto-rotation was working or not...

Edited by Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, david said:

Or are notifications and that menu the same in modern androids?

I was focusing on my own issue with getting to notifications.   Yes, modern android puts the quick settings above notifications.  You can open quick settings by themself with two finger slide, but I dont know any way to open notifications without quick settings come up... and I tried (and failed) to do so!

So maybe he wasn't trying to get to notifications, I just assumed as much...   like gotta click that usb thing three times to transfer files (until you install ftp server!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Craig said:

If you have landscape lock and auto-rotation on, it's not supposed to rotate with keyboard open (although some apps ignore this).   And I only saw it rotate with keyboard closed, and he wasn't moving it around much to verify if auto-rotation was working or not...

But landscape lock and auto-rotate off would cause it to auto-rotate to portrait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, david said:

But landscape lock and auto-rotate off would cause it to auto-rotate to portrait?

When keyboard is closed, yeah.   At least how I think it's supposed to work, and how it worked for me.   But I can't verify right now cuz Im bricked...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Craig said:

I was focusing on my own issue with getting to notifications.   Yes, modern android puts the quick settings above notifications.  You can open quick settings by themself with two finger slide, but I dont know any way to open notifications without quick settings come up... and I tried (and failed) to do so!

Yeah, I forgot that's how it works in modern androids.  I don't use them often enough and am always annoyed by the notifications being way down below the quick launch icons, so I'm surprised I forgot they were combined.

Okay, I did some testing with a Pixel 1 running Android 10 and here is what I found:

A)  The home screen doesn't auto-rotate when you have auto-rotate turned on for the display in settings.  Google messed this up with Lollipop and people were not happy.

B)  At some point, google fixed this with an update, but you have to enable auto-rotate separately in the launcher settings.  Once enabled, the launcher does auto-rotate too.

C)  Google got the landscape pull down menu correct.  It only shows as many shortcut icons as will fit (and/or makes them fit) on the landscape screen, allowing you access to the edit (pencil icon) and settings (gears icon).  For extra shortcut icons that won't fit in the 2 rows, you scroll left to right to get to more of them.  So pretty sure this should be treated as a bug in the Pro1, which of all phones, should operate well in landscape mode, since it will be used in that mode often.

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

So maybe he wasn't trying to get to notifications, I just assumed as much...   like gotta click that usb thing three times to transfer files (until you install ftp server!).

I believe he was talking about how you can't get to the settings and edit icons at the bottom of the shortcut icons in order to navigate to system settings or edit which shortcuts show in the pulldown.

USB thing??

Edited by david

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replicated the auto rotate bug in Gon009 video.

I tried it with chrome
-Auto rotate off

-Landscape lock on

But when i use google maps, outlook, it work as intended, reverting to portrait once the keyboard is closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think part of the rotation issues are due to how the Pro1 probably does the keyboard-based rotation.
https://github.com/tdm/android_kernel_idealte_msm8998/commit/f8538cc530b9b9894515f5d89705d11ea429bf46#diff-b7514391d387e036df07f67353c9d215
For Pro1, the input capabilities to set tablet mode and rotation lock were added. Without fully understanding the surrounding code and no device I can only put this up as a wild guess, but it's likely that this is all what's used when the keyboard is opened. Apps not supporting tablet mode may not care about it. It might not even rotate the orientation but rely on the implied landscape of the tablet mode.
This is not the best way to handle this in my eyes, even though it was likely the simplest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Craig said:

When keyboard is closed, yeah.   At least how I think it's supposed to work, and how it worked for me.   But I can't verify right now cuz Im bricked...

Is landscape lock some fxtec thing or an android thing?

I feel for your bricked situation.  I did the same thing on a tablet when trying to test out changing screen size so that we'd know if there was a way to create a screen size that would fit inside the Pro1 screen, such that the curved edges wouldn't be in play.  It was a rooted tablet and I used a 3rd party app that allows mucking with such things.  The Samsung bloatware and built in UI modifications failed horribly and I couldn't get into the tablet (launcher crashed and other stuff was crashing left and right).  It took a herculean effort to fix that without factory resetting the tablet (which may not have even fixed it, according to some accounts online).  I ended up having to flash some special tool that would allow for scripts to run on boot, create a script to run the right commands as root/su to set the values back to default, *and* add a delay to my script , because they were running before the objects were accessible in the system when booting.

If you are rooted and if whatever you changed has a way to be set back through command line commands, then we *might* be able to get you un-stuck.  Feel free to PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Craig said:

@Gon009 This.  If you set your display size and text size small, you'll at least get more than what you see now.   You can also go a step farther in developer settings and play with dpi, but doesn't work well with stock launcher.

I can confirm that this works. There's "interface size" or whatever it's called in English and I set it to small one, now the drop-down menu looks like it should, thanks!

To others: also, as you see, it's not about notification but about these quick-access icons.

 

1 hour ago, david said:

Did you try turning the phone so that the bottom (when vertical) is lower than the top?  That is how it works when I have auto rotate on in the phones I've uses.  It actually seems odd to me that the launcher is showing up in portrait mode when you close firefox.

Although, if the phone is lying flat, then maybe the accelerometer has to guess.  Or an app/system might remeber the last orientation, since the accelerometer isn't sensing a change.  If you close the keyboard, with firefox open, and change the orientation to portrait (not lying flat on the table), does it rotate?  If not, just as a wild thing to try, launch the app with the icon rather than the keyboard shortcut.

 

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Did you have auto-rotate turned on during that video?  If yes, that could explain this.  (I'm not referring to the slider setting to lock landscape, I'm talking about the regular auto-rotate in quick settings.)

No, I don't have regular auto-rotate on. I'm working with keyboard lock on and auto-rotate off. Also, to what david said, when I hold the phone so bottom is lower than the top, the small icon appears at the bottom right that I can press to switch it to portrait.

There's another video showing my settings and firefox app again. I also got a bug that kept my phone in landscape even in Home with keyboard closed but it's probably because of manually rotating the screen: https://youtu.be/pWbZXP29uAI

 

42 minutes ago, pops said:

I replicated the auto rotate bug in Gon009 video.

I tried it with chrome
-Auto rotate off

-Landscape lock on

But when i use google maps, outlook, it work as intended, reverting to portrait once the keyboard is closed.

For me it also works for some apps and doesn't work for others. At the beginning everything worked flawlessly, then everything but Home broke and now some apps work and some not, I had no problems with FireFox before.

 

 

Edited by Gon009
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gon009 said:

 

For me it also works for some apps and doesn't work for others. At the beginning everything worked flawlessly, then everything but Home broke and now some apps work and some not, I had no problems with FireFox before.

 

 

I can attest to this. Same thing happened, even after factory resetting it twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are factory resetting using the flashall, there's several updates after that, and you gotta reboot after each... make sure you're up to 10 december software...

Edited by Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Craig said:

If you are factory resetting using the flashall, there's several updates after that, and you gotta after each... make sure you're up to 10 december software...

Yeap, i did. Perhaps i should not update, maybe it might work for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pops said:

Yeap, i did. Perhaps i should not update, maybe it might work for me?

I had only one update that I installed after booting the phone for the first time and it was an update that disabled double-tap. Second video I did was after an update that "fixed" something with SafetyNet.

Now I'm updating phone to the newest version.

 

EDIT: Updated, nothing changed.

Edited by Gon009
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for double-post but I want to post two more bugs:

  • Backlight of the keyboard doesn't turn on then the phone is waken up with already opened keyboard(open the keyboard, turn off the display, wake up the phone, keyboard is not lighted up)
  • Brightness settings causes major color distortions, making images look bad which amplified by the fact that pixels turn off in AMOLED displays, I've never had anything like that in my old AMOLED phone: here are more about it: Also, the brightness changed a lot between 50% and 100% and colors there are OK, however between 0% and 50% brightness barely changes and it introduces color distortions.
Edited by Gon009
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms