[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1

IMO, if SFOS wanted to establish itself as the defacto 3rd platform of choice (after the duopoly overlords)... They would concentrate on monetising the direct-to-consumer sales of their OS for these 5 devices... and they could charge a monthly/yearly optional support fee... and a higher fee per device for businesses to manage them...

• Like 2
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

Hmmm, when @ponzimeme mentioned Gemini.. Does anybody have a clue how many that devices uses SfOS? I mean the official, paid version? If there really is a fee, what the phone producer have to pay for SfOS support.. I am not sure if Planet really paid that, cause it is the same case as FxTec. Sure, they are bit advanced, they made already second phone (so they have to have a profit), but as @EskeRahn told, when the limit is (lets say) 50.000 phones, do you think they have reached it? Wee need to know all the conditions first! Otherwise it would be one huge speculation with many scenarios as the "On the production status" thread is..

• Like 2
15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

If they need a specific amount that is not secret then crowd funding could perhaps be an option?

I agree if it can be sucessfully crowd funded then that proves there is the demand.  I don't think F(x)tec should taken on the whole cost (they should back some!)

Edited by _DW_
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Swond said:

Hmmm, when @ponzimeme mentioned Gemini.. Does anybody have a clue how many that devices uses SfOS? I mean the official, paid version? If there really is a fee, what the phone producer have to pay for SfOS support.. I am not sure if Planet really paid that, cause it is the same case as FxTec. Sure, they are bit advanced, they made already second phone (so they have to have a profit), but as @EskeRahn told, when the limit is (lets say) 50.000 phones, do you think they have reached it? Wee need to know all the conditions first! Otherwise it would be one huge speculation with many scenarios as the "On the production status" thread is..

Yes we need to know their limit to see if it is realistically reachable. If say €2M forget it, if €50K not unlikely. As suggested an option could be some crowd-funding to get the needed money. l imagine a model with a minimal of the €50 paid giving a licence, and then we can see if we can reach the needed goal or not.

Those secret special android based apps!

I am aware some Android apps are linux based.  I mean why not, its not that hard to make an android app out of an existing linux app if you know what you're doing.

It's also pretty clear many SailfishOS apps are linux based.  I mean, sfos is more linux than android; we have gcc, we can build from source on device and run it.  That is a major step closer to real linux than Android.  In fact, manhy linux apps just work on sfos already.  Like other linux distros.

I forgot why I started writing this.

• Haha 5

Installed SFOS after all... And I can see it looks cool.😎

I have browsed through the thread, and maybe I overlooked something. But is it a known issue that I can not set the date&time, or I just being thick?

When ever I try and click accept, it ignores it and selects a day two months back, and roughly 8 hours off . If I try to set it to automatic, I get the same time adjusted to Finnish time zone.

This prevents my from logging on, as it gives me an errormessage.

It also prevents me from using https, as the handshaking fails, and as MTP does not seem to be working, I can not share a screendump

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Craig said:

I think that isn't an issue if you have a SIM card installed...

So SFOS doesn't work on non-cellular devices?  Or is that just a limitation in his particular build at this point in time?

I dunno if there's a way to set the time manually.  If it were me I'd try it from terminal with date, perhaps with devel-su if it doesn't work the first time.   I just know with SIM card, it isn't an issue cuz it gets the time from there and I haven't had to worry about this particular issue, cuz I already had a SIM card installed when I installed Sailfish. 

Perhaps somebody who understands how it actually works will chime in.

On unrelated but vaguely related matter, my timezone is set wrong in ubuntu chroot cuz I clicked thru the install too fast, and I dunno how to fix it - and using date from the command line, even with sudo, doesn't fix it for long.

Edited by Craig
2 hours ago, Craig said:

I dunno if there's a way to set the time manually.  If it were me I'd try it from terminal with date, perhaps with devel-su if it doesn't work the first time.   I just know with SIM card, it isn't an issue cuz it gets the time from there and I haven't had to worry about this particular issue, cuz I already had a SIM card installed when I installed Sailfish. 

Perhaps somebody who understands how it actually works will chime in.

On unrelated but vaguely related matter, my timezone is set wrong in ubuntu chroot cuz I clicked thru the install too fast, and I dunno how to fix it - and using date from the command line, even with sudo, doesn't fix it for long.

Maybe this will help https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime there is a command line bit further down.

Edited by _DW_
11 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

But is it a known issue that I can not set the date&time, or I just being thick?

https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues/31

It's not unique to the Pro1 build though, I've certainly seen the same issue before. (Probably on the first community builds for Gemini, but not sure?)

Edited by epninety
  • Thanks 1

There is a heavy pull on the battery in idle with absolutely nothing installed. Connected to WiFi doing nothing, over 2% per hour!!!

ADD: It is the WiFi that seems to be the culprit,
If I put it in Aeroplane mode, it is much much better. Fallen from 74% to 65% in 19h (or 0.42%/h to 0.53%/h - could in best case be from 73.50 to 65.49, or worst case from 74.49 to 64.50)
I then in Aeroplane turned WiFi ON, and it has fallen from 65% to 10% in just 24h (or 2.25%/h to 2.33%/h - could in best case be from 64.50 to 10.49, or worst case from 65.49 to 9.50)

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, spam71 said:

Guys, do you know how to install Play Store in SailFishOS?

Most poeple using Sailfish with Alien Dalvik, besides f-droid, seem to like Aurora store.  But I think some people have installed all google services and made play store work.  I'd check together.jolla.com for more info if you're really intested.     But either way, there's no official AD for Pro¹.

• Thanks 1
On 2/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, Craig said:

Most poeple using Sailfish with Alien Dalvik, besides f-droid, seem to like Aurora store.  But I think some people have installed all google services and made play store work.  I'd check together.jolla.com for more info if you're really intested.     But either way, there's no official AD for Pro¹.

Not yet at least. 🙂

• Like 1

My issues with call quality, under Sailfish OS, are as described below:

1) without loudspeaker mode: while my voice can be heard loud and clear on the other side (I speak into the tiny microphone hole of Fxtec Pro1), the interlocutor's voice is quiet (at least, clear) and I find it difficult to hear;

2) with loudspeaker mode: interlocutor hears lots of echoes, words are overlapped, difficult to hear me; I hear interlocutor at moderate volume, clear, but their voice can be garbled a bit, as if they are under water.

I have tried to install patch to Increase Speaker Volume. Is it for a different Sailfish version? Because even after installing and applying the patch, I couldn't find the setting for 150% volume anywhere.

Thank you. Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2