[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

Hmmmm interesting acrux, never tried the wifi hotspot but sounds problematic.  Hopefully the devs are aware.

I personally didn't have problem with ssh over wifi, and when I was using Sailfish was before mtp was supported, so I used sshfs to access phone file system from pc no problem. 

Edited by Craig
  • 1 month later...

Hello Sailfisherman! I received my Pro1 a few days and am running Lineage on it. I came from Blackberry 10 (Z10, Q10, Passport) and would like to try Sailfish in time.

I understand the current release is considered "Alpha" which I presume means "work in progress"?

Does anyonw working away on this project know if it will ever advance from a "Community" release to the paid official type with the ability to use Android APK apps loaded on the side? I have rather been seduced by the idea of having useful modern apps!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Sorry to be a thread bumper but can I ask after a week if the Sailfish Community build is still an active thing or is it finished?

AFAIK it is still "alpha" or "work in progress". Do not expect the current community port to be an official one - the probability for that is very-very low.

If you need Android applications then run Android (or LineageOS). If you like Linux and are ready to live with some limitations, then try SailfishOS - maybe it suits your use case. And don't forget to give something back to the SailfishOS community - at least bug reports are welcome 😄

Edited by acrux
  • Like 2
On 8/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, acrux said:

AFAIK it is still "alpha" or "work in progress". Do not expect the current community port to be an official one - the probability for that is very-very low.

If you need Android applications then run Android (or LineageOS). If you like Linux and are ready to live with some limitations, then try SailfishOS - maybe it suits your use case. And don't forget to give something back to the SailfishOS community - at least bug reports are welcome 😄

Thanks for the update. I'm perservering with Android for now and will keep an eye on Sailfish's development here.

• Like 1

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues.

The latest releases are available from the continuous integration build server at

https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/t5-ci/-/jobs

Regular users are advised to install the "testing" releases, as the other releases are from the devel branch.  I try my hardest to not break the testing repository, but breakage may happen in the devel repository, and I wont give you sympathy if you are running that version 😉

The current releases of the devel version are interesting as the entire flashing process has changed.  In a nutshell, historically, sailfish ports have used space in the userdata partition of android, but left the partition intact.  Actual releases of SailfishX instead convert the whole userdata into an LVM volume, with a root and home partition.  This is what allows SailfishX to encrypt the users data using LUKS.

The current releases of the devel version are also using this partition scheme, and give you such encryption benefits, HOWEVER, it also means the android userdata is wiped...its basically like having an official Sailfish device (minus AD/exchange).

This work has not yet been put into the testing repository, as it would be nice to get a little more feedback on it.  When it does go into testing, I will have to be vocal about it as it will require reflashing your device, and an OTA update probably will break things.

Small fixes do still happen, just yesterday I realised I was missing a fix for the proximity sensor handling, which caused the screen to stay off after finishing a call.

If anyone does decide to test the LVM devel builds, then ping my on telegram @adampigg and let me know how it went.

SFOS users Telegram Group: https://t.me/sfos_user_pro1

Cheers

Edited by piggz
Added telegram link
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7
  • 1 month later...

I am finding Android to be pretty horrible to use. I would switch to Sailfish to try it but in order to not to have to dual-carry another phone for work I have to have WhatsApp for my work SIM.

I know Android apps aren't officially supported but is there some sort of unofficial way of getting the Android app ability to work?

Edited by jamescarruthers
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

I know Android apps aren't officially supported but is there some sort of unofficial way of getting the Android app ability to work?

I guess this is their main selling-point for the non-free version. But would be nice if this could be bought even without the device support. I'm not sure how they actually implemented the Alien Dalvik, but would guess hardware dependent, and here (unfortunately for us) the supported Xperia 10 and XA2 uses SDM630 so might require some modifications to work for other CPUs&GPUs, and thus also devices like the Pro1....

12 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

I am finding Android to be pretty horrible to use. I would switch to Sailfish to try it but in order to not to have to dual-carry another phone for work I have to have WhatsApp for my work SIM.

aurora store ? 
not sure if it works with sailfish,, always wanted sailfish but am in the States, hard to come across a sailfish device.

or you can use whatsapp web, or whatsapp web2go from f-droid.

Edited by internationaltraitor
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2020 at 1:21 AM, jamescarruthers said:

I can confirm Aurora and Whatsapp would work on a Pro1 running SFOS but you would need rpms from a XA2 (meaning license + device) and it wouldn't be legal. However if you purchase a XA2 license alone and ask the community it would at least be close to morally acceptable (in my opinion, but who am I to tell something illegal is morally acceptable? D:).

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, matf said:

I can confirm Aurora and Whatsapp would work on a Pro1 running SFOS but you would need rpms from a XA2 (meaning license + device) and it wouldn't be legal. However if you purchase a XA2 license alone and ask the community it would at least be close to morally acceptable (in my opinion, but who am I to tell something illegal is morally acceptable? D:).

Thanks very much. I will look in to this further but probably not post here just incase it is against forum rules to discuss such naughtiness 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, matf said:

...it would at least be close to morally acceptable (in my opinion, but who am I to tell something illegal is morally acceptable? D:).

I remember a case some decades ago where one of my customers had an official software package with an unlocking diskette (long before usb-dongles) placed at each workstation, but they actually used the pirated version of the same software, to avoid the hassle with the diskette... Seems somewhat similar.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I remember a case some decades ago where one of my customers had an official software package with an unlocking diskette (long before usb-dongles) placed at each workstation, but they actually used the pirated version of the same software, to avoid the hassle with the diskette... Seems somewhat similar.

I remember that, also a long time ago, some jurisdictions (Germany in any case) explicitly legalised circumventing such copy protections if that was necessary to properly use the item in question, specifically software with copy-protected floppy disks, CDs or hardware dongles (before USB, they even made parallel-port dongles), so the case you mention might even have been legal, not just morally legitimate. 

All of that of course was before the content industry established laws which forbid even private copies of copy-protected material which would have been legal under usual fair-use clauses if the medium just wouldn't have been copy-protected...

But, I am not a lawyer, and I'm not really sure whether these newer changes actually replaced the older rules (if a jurisdiction ever had them, that is).

• Like 1

So, I tried SailfishOS....

NO CAMERA, both cameras BLACK!
Was that supposed to happen?

And another issue that might be related to a display repair (swapped to Elephone U)... the round edges don't register touch. So with Sailfish I cannot swipe from the very edge, which renders the whole thing even more useless. (Thankfully landscape mode works, where the edges are behaving normally.)

This is all so frustrating... Lineage4MicroG doesn't work. Camera focus on LineageOS doesn't work. Camera on SailfishOS doesn't work at all... I'm about to go back to stock.

7 hours ago, fxtec-preorder-47xx said:

So, I tried SailfishOS....

NO CAMERA, both cameras BLACK!
Was that supposed to happen?

And another issue that might be related to a display repair (swapped to Elephone U)... the round edges don't register touch. So with Sailfish I cannot swipe from the very edge, which renders the whole thing even more useless. (Thankfully landscape mode works, where the edges are behaving normally.)

This is all so frustrating... Lineage4MicroG doesn't work. Camera focus on LineageOS doesn't work. Camera on SailfishOS doesn't work at all... I'm about to go back to stock.

Sounds like the driver issue been discussed in the other thread.  Not sure how that gets applied to SailfishOS though

4 hours ago, fxtec-preorder-47xx said:

Which thread? Never read about anything 'driver' concerning the camera?! Can u point me to it?

Was referring to this part sorry should have quoted better